Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 HNIC Theme Song Done?... But saved! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  16:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
The HNIC Theme song has seen its contract with CBC expire. Apparently, CBC is trying to strike a deal for the famous opening song to stay placed for HNIC. If its not possible, I feel it would be a huge blow to Hockey all across Canada and a tradition would be gone.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/06/05/moore-hockeynight-theme.html

What do you think?

Choices:

I really hope to see it back
I really dont need it every Saturday Night
I really dont care

Edited by - Leafs Rock Planet on 06/09/2008 14:27:56

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  16:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That song is as Canadian as anything else I can think of. From what I read today, it has something to do with $500 every single time the song is played. There is also something about the lady who wrote the song has an outstanding court proceeding that was brought upon the CBC because the lady thought the song was being played more than what she was getting paid for.

In the end, it doesn't matter. I missed the game yesterday and I feel robbed that I will never hear that sound coming out of my TV.

I will still hear it every time my phone rings.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  17:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I will still hear it every time my phone rings.

Hehe. So true Beans. I have the same thing.

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  05:17:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's weird, because when I first heard of this news, my first thought was "too bad, I'll miss that song - but really, it's just a theme song, and nothing else . . ."

But it *is* more than a theme song, the more I think about it. It really is one of those oh so Canadian things, like knowing about Bob and Doug Mackenzie or having seen the animated short The Hockey Sweater. It's a culturally iconic thing, and because it's a song, I think it really does inject a bit more emotion into the whole thing.

I missed that last game too, thinking the Pens might push it to a game 7 and not wanting to jinx them (everytime I watched them in the finals they lost).

I really regret it now . . . not making myself comfortable in my chair, beer in hand, smile on my face, listening to those familiar notes . . . I hope there is enough of a public backlash to let it remain on the CBC broadcasts.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  10:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be very disappointed. Growing up that was a rallying cry for my family. Like they did for Ron MacLean, CBC better buck up!
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  15:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if cbc will still pay those dinosaurs Cole and Cherry, I don't see why they won't buck up here. CBC is getting really low in my books. They wouldn't pay the great Chris Cuthbert to come back, the "Hotstove" is a joke: Why not fire all the idiot gossip queens in the satellite Hotstove and put it towards the only thing on HNIC that hasn't aged, it's song!

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  16:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

I would be very disappointed. Growing up that was a rallying cry for my family. Like they did for Ron MacLean, CBC better buck up!

IHC you are the man! I agree the Hotstove is a complete waste of time, they just use it as a filler to kill minutes until the game is back on. Basically they run through the headlines with one guy doing 90 percent of the talking and the rest nodding obediently. Their idea of a debate is one guy going 'Er, I disagree. I think...' and before he can spit two words out of his mouth 'Oh would ya look at that we're out of time!' They don't really have anything all that good to say.

I do think Cherry should be kept even though he is losing his touch, for the same reason Sundin deserves to stay in Toronto. That being said, if they can throw cash at the highest paid viagara user () in our country, they can find 500 bucks to keep a freaking song!

And with that I say goodbye, as the next time I'll be around here is Tuesday or Wednesday night. Adios amigos!

-The New Kid on the Block

Edited by - Alex on 06/08/2008 16:43:21
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  21:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Vancouver Province today they said that the CBC has broken off talks with the representatives of the song writer. Looks both sides are waiting for the other to move.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  14:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CTV (TSN/RDS) have just bought rights to use the traditional song. This is a shocking announcement but great for them.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=240196&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

Edited by - Leafs Rock Planet on 06/09/2008 14:29:45
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  16:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really am shocked! It's going to be hard to imagine it on another channel but CBC really screwed this one up. Much of the brand power they built is tied into that song and they just let it slip into the hands of a competitor. WOW! Someone is going to lose their job for sure!

From the article, it sounds like TSN has picked up even more games this year too. They're really making a move. I hope I can get more Flames games here in Vancouver through them.

So now they got the song....they already have Cuthbert and Duthie, if they just pick up Steve Kouleas and Tim Micallef from the Score, and I'll watch TSN all the time!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  08:53:56  Reply with Quote
Well it is a done deal. The song is no longer a part of CBC.

I belive change is great. You should not fear change. Lets wait and see what CBC is going to come up with for there opening to HNIC. Try to embrace what you have, instead of complaining about something that is no longer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page