Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Guest Guru Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest6681
( )

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  14:42:23  Reply with Quote
This is for all those who want a new, fresh opinion on pickuphockey, an alterior to The Alex Blog. Alex seams to have gotten a bit full of himself (You call yourself "Da King"! Seriously...) As opposed to Alex' constant bable, the Guest Guru won't get full of himself, especially since he is already a member of the pickuphockey community.

So buckle up, and prepare to disagree or agree. I'm hoping for you all to disagree more. Because at the end of the day we all know that some are right and some are wrong.....but in my opinio the Gust Guru is always correct.

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  16:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! This is exactly the type of response I was soliciting when I started! From the first post of the Alex Blog:

quote:
Who knows, I may just start a fad! Imagine me, the trendsetter!

As to your remarks about me getting ahead of myself: unwaranted but understood. I know I'm not all that. I'm just learning so give a guy a break. Chances are if I knew who you were as a regular member I could say with 100 percent certainty that you know more about hockey than me, and that doesn't bother me. I only go by the name 'da king' because it's something with a little flair that will tide me over until I find a new profile signature.

And I think we can compliment each other, we don't have to compete as you seem to allude to... I don't think many if any people feel my blog is a ''constant babble.'' Most seem to enjoy it even despite its innacuracies here and there, which just leaves me even more curious as to who your alter ego could possibly be But I guess once you start writing it'll be easier to tell!

I welcome another opinion just as anyone and in that light I warmly accept and look forward to your new blog

Eventually maybe we can get a nice little debate going. If you disagree with any opinion I throw out, (which will inevitably happen) challenge it and we can have fun with it! That's what it's all about, right?

-The New Kid on the Block

P.S. I think you'll agree, my new profile signature is a little more fitting.

EDIT: I'll bet money that this is leafsfan_101, though I probably will not be able to find out the answer for a few days as I'm logging off the computer in a couple minutes! See you all later

Edited by - Alex on 06/08/2008 16:45:52
Go to Top of Page

Guest6681
( )

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  16:42:38  Reply with Quote
Yes, I like your idea. Complementing each other is good, and starting debates is better. I like your new nickname, more fitting then Da King. We're not trying to be Mr. T here.

I like to see where this is going, and you can rest yourself assured that you got me into the idea of writing this blog 100%. The constant bable I refer to is the length of your posts, and I'm going to try to keep mine a little more short and sweet. This is saying without writing my first blog and who knows, I may have each blog a page in length. No, don't worry, that won't happen.

As to your remarks about me knowing more hockey then you, you are 100% incorrect. You are a smart kid for your age, and if I can add to your already gigantic plethora of hockey knowledge then all the better for the hockey world.

I want to see if anyone can guess who I am. It probably wont be hard to tell soon enough, and when I get my blog going this may turn into good hockey talk going back and forth.

That's what I'm hoping for, anyways.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  18:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is Guest 6681 is OILINONTARIO!

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2008 :  19:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
personnaly i hope things stay short a sweet,, i havn't be able to finish a alex post in a very long time,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest6681
( )

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  17:17:45  Reply with Quote
June 9 2008

Here it is, the much anticipated inaugural blog of The Guest Guru. Simply put, this will be a short, sweet blog, as I hope more people can read it so that their input can be made. This is how it does for the rest of this week....I'm gonna breakdown each Canadian team, what they need to do, where they stand now and what they can do at the draft. Easy to read stuff.

The first team I will do will be....The Ottawa Senators (guess who I am yet?)

Team Needs:
The Sens have, in my mind, two main free agents that need to be signed and 1 solid one that needs to be paid attention too as well.

1). Wade Redden - Looks like he is on his way out of Ottawa, and his play in the nation's capital has been heavily scrutinized endlessly the bast season. With roughly $39.9 mil already guerenteed for next year, a high paying, good two way defenseman looks to be on his way out of Ottawa.

2). Andrej Meszaros- Ottawa's up-and comming star defenseman, Meszaros needs to be under contract for next year. He looks to get a significant pay-raise from his 984k contract. Expect this guy to be the in the front row for Sens Army (Except he plays defense, so on the ice he's in the back end).

Antoine Vermette - A solid, young second line center, Vermette is a good person to have locked up for a long time. His future looks bright, and he already has a solid skill set. For 3-3.5 mil, he;s a good pickup.

Notables
-Commodore played well with the Sens, and plays a similar game that the Sens play.
- Stillman, Lapointe and Richardson are on the way out. I would be suprised if any were resigned.

Pickup through Free Agency:
Look for the Sens to try and land David Vyborny as a second line RW. Good shot with good speed as well as the ability to play defensive hockey. Perfect fit in Ottawa.

Notables to look for:
Good fits on the blue line would be Bryce Salvador, Andres Lilja or Ron Hainsey. I think Ottawa would benefit wit having at least on of these players on their blue line next year.

The Draft:
At 18th, the Sens have a few wats to go. They need a future goalie, so their best bet is Thomas McCollum from the Guelph Storm. Although, if either one of Mattias Tedenby, Michael Del Zotto or Colten Teubert fall to 17th, which could be likely, they should seriously consider taking one of them.

**NOTICE** How did you like my first blog post? Too long? Boring? Give me your opinions, as well as the team you would like to see me breakdown next. C'mon, lets see the responses fly.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  17:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Irvine..or...I mean Guest Guru. Very easy to read, short and sweet. I really like it and I like your idea. Colten Teubert plays for the Regina Pats and I got to see him play quite a bit and he is a force on defence when it comes to hitting so he would be good to have for Ottawa. Imagine Teubert, Phillips and Volchenkov. Forwards would have to be prepared to get hit.

Edited by - PainTrain on 06/09/2008 17:37:53
Go to Top of Page

Guest6681
( )

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  18:33:15  Reply with Quote
Budding seceret of my forum identity to be revealed in tommorrow's blog. Let's get these responses in, and also your picks for who you want me to de-mangle tommorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  20:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the biggest problem i feel with the sens is charactor,, the talent skilled players they have out the ying yang,, i feel they made a huge mistake in the stillman and commodore trade,, but they were trying to get charactor players,, it didn;t work the team fell apart at the end of the year,, they need to look for some way to go get the kind of guy who, to steal a quote from paintrain,,"when the going gets tough the tough get going" lets face it this is a team that colasp last year, if their had been another week of play they would have fallen from first to no playoffs in a matter of 2 months,, something is wrong in that locker room!!! and goaltending,,, i'd try and get andrew raycroft ,, laugh all you want,,, the kid sill has it he just needs a boost out of t.o drop emery pick up andrew and when gerbs falls apart you got a solid goalie to put in the net

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2008 :  20:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try Dallas tomorrow I'm interested in hearing what you think there needs are for next season. This is also a good test to see how much you know about an team in which people usually don't talk about much.
As for your first blog I liked it. Great length, perfectly made sense and I thought your off season free agent predictions were good too. However Vyborny is coming off a down year and he does have good two way play but I just don't see him fitting in with the sens.

Edited by - Gostarsgo12 on 06/09/2008 20:31:42
Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  13:27:46  Reply with Quote
Funny how now people are relating me to a Sens fans, yet I am anything but. The opposite actually.....except I cheer for a team in Ontario (I live there as well).

Without further ado I will tell you which forum member I am.....Leafsfan_101. Good call on that Alex. Glad you all liked the first post, I think I did well considering I hate the team. I am good at being impartial though, so I cinsidered what is best for their team. I will still post as a guest because, well, this is called the Guest Guru.

I was planning to do all Canadian teams first, but Dallas has been requested so it shall be done.

Team Needs:
Marty Turco finally came out of his playoff jinx this year and that is a good sign because it finally means that he could be considered one of the "elite" goaltenders in the league today. The Richards trade, in my mind, was a success, especially with the way he played in the playoffs. The trade was more of a long term deal, so even if there are some Dallas fans that hate the deal they should be reminded that it wasn't done for the here and now. All in all, a solid team that won't undergo many changes this offseason.

Notables:
- Luoi Eriksson is a RFA, and his strong playoffs are a good sign for the Stars organization. Look for a 2 year deal worth around 700-750k.
- Mattias Nornstrom is a UFA this offseason. I could see the Stars taking chance on him leaving in order to try and get a younger player. I like the Stars chances with either Oleg Tverdosky or Paul Mara.

Noone really. They have a whopping 5 mil locked up for the upcomming season, and without any major flaws on the roster this team will look the same come September. As mentioned though, Tverdosky or Mara is an option.

The Draft:
The Stars are picking late this year, at 28th overall. Stars, I think, need a goalthending prospect, but because this draft isn't deep in quality goalies the Stars could afford to take one in the 2nd or 3rd round. A kid I've been hearing lots of is Erik Karlsson, a defenseman out of Sweden. This kid looks to be great offensivly, good hands, speed and playmaking ability. The only knock on him is his defensive play, but from what I've seen ( a WJC game on TV) he looks to be a solid pick.

**NEWS** Leafs sign Ron Wilson as head coac. I'll talk about that tommorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  15:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tverdovsky now thats a name I haven't heard in a while but Im pretty sure that he will continue to play in Europe but who knows. However if he does come to Dallas I see him turning into like a Janne Niinimaa when he was on Montreal. Just slowly fading away and being a healthy scratch. Mara would be good to have, big size and a solid D skills would take Norstroms spot as he retired today.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  19:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job LF101! Here's my two cents:

I like it because it's logical and insightful. Personally speaking, I don't find it interesting but I would definitely read closely any edition you made regarding my Canadiens It takes someone very knowledgeable to be able to write this type of thing, and since I don't know the ins and outs of upcoming players and FAs I have never tried to do the same.

Again IMO, I like the controversial, subjective blogs more than this type of thing, but as everyone else enjoys this don't listen to li'l ol' me

Oh and one more thing: why the pseudonym if we all know your true identity?

Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  19:08:25  Reply with Quote
I put it just to see if anyone would guess it was me. And Alex, you got it on the first try. I had to congradulate you on that.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  00:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All in all I like what you're doing here. Good job.

Specifically, I just don't think Dallas would ever sign Tverdovsky in a million years. Also, Eriksson is going to sign for a lot more than 750k/year. He will get a substantial raise after a great performance this year. Nothing personal for, or against, these guys - it's just business.
Go to Top of Page

Guest1750
( )

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  09:02:10  Reply with Quote
So what web site/analyst did you steal this from?

Bryce Salvador a perfect fit with the Sens eh? That's very very insightfull for someone who isn't involved with the Sens organisation or a member of Salvadors family let alone someone who doesn't even care for the Sens.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  10:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the size of this. Far easier to read and more about the game, less about personal feelings on traditions and such. (Sorry Alex).

In regards to one point on Ottawa and the free agency. The GM from Columbus was a call in guest on a radio show in Edmonton last week. David Vyborny has said he will finish his career in the Czech Republic, so I think we call all strike him off the available UFA list.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I like the size of this. Far easier to read and more about the game, less about personal feelings on traditions and such. (Sorry Alex).

In regards to one point on Ottawa and the free agency. The GM from Columbus was a call in guest on a radio show in Edmonton last week. David Vyborny has said he will finish his career in the Czech Republic, so I think we call all strike him off the available UFA list.

It's cool Beans (no pun intended.) Check out my latest edition though, I'm making a concentrated effort to shorten things down even though that's admittedly hard.

Tell me what you want me to talk about guys and I'll follow through. Tomorrow I'm talking about Wilson and the Maple Dead Things.

Go to Top of Page

FranzenFanatic
Top Prospect

23 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  12:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1750

Bryce Salvador a perfect fit with the Sens eh? That's very very insightfull for someone who isn't involved with the Sens organisation or a member of Salvadors family let alone someone who doesn't even care for the Sens.

I agree, you obviously stole this from somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  13:35:51  Reply with Quote
June 11, 2008

My blogging career as an anonymous/ non anonymous blogger on pickuphockey looks to be doing well so far. If there is ever a problem (too boring, long) tell me and I'll fix it ASAP. But there is something that I would like to address to the faithful of pickuphockey.....I AM NOT STEALING ANY INFO FROM ANYONE. All of these opinions are 100% Guest Guru and any criticism should be directed my way. I watch alot of hockey so I know what works and what might fit well. That's how I came up with Bryce Salvador. He is a solid, sturdy defenseman that can somewhat fill the still remaining hole in the Sens defense left by Zdeno Chara. Believe me when I say this, I don't steal/cheat. I promise all of you this.

Anyways, I'm gonna take a break from analysing teams today and talk about the Leafs recent acquisition of Ron Wilson and what this means for us in Leafland.

What Wilson brings to the Leafs is something that we haven't had post lockout.....a person who has had success in the New-NHL. Wilson has had a great team in the regular season but at playoff time his stars go home. I don't think that this can be blamed on Wilson for a lack of motivating them. In the playoffs motivation should come easily, and when the likes of Big Joe or Patrick Marleau don't show up it's difficult to win.

Wilson brings a defense first mentality, and a type of game that is sure to help offensive defenseman like Tomas Kaberle or Ian White. Another thing that I like about him is that he knows how to use different skill sets of players. That means that players like Jason Blake, Bryan McCabe and Darcy Tucker will be used differently then they did with Paul Maurice, and this could benefit all of the players.

Wilson recognises what is important to win and knows what his team needs. Jut because we get Ron Wilson and, hopefully, Brian Burke next year doesn't automatically guarantee us a Cup. I think that if Sundin leaves the Leafs will have a good chance of getting the #1 pick next year for Tavares. But Wilson brings optimism, change and ability to win. Add on his coaching prowess and he is a coach that may be able to transform the Leafs into a champion in 2-3 years.

Once again, thanks for reading.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  14:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FranzenFanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Guest1750

I agree, you obviously stole this from somewhere.

You two obviously lack alot of intelligence and/or common sense.

Bryce Salvador would be a good addition to the Sens but is also just a random defencmen thrown out there. How does that make it plageurism(sp)?

Give me a link where it says Bryce Salvador as a good addition to the Sens and maybe I'll reconsider.

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  15:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great post Guest Guru! I just want to say that in the playoffs Patty Marleau was playing his heart out. Big Joe, well I don't know where he went. But yes I agree that Ron Wilson can give change to the Leafs. I was wondering if you'd like to talk about what the Sabres should do in the off-season?

Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  16:44:36  Reply with Quote
June 12, 2008

Another team has been asked of me to give ideas to, and it shall be done. Today I will do the Buffalo Sabres.

Team Needs:
The Sabres are in a rebuilding mode, but can still compete for the playoffs. After Briere, Drury and Campbell left, the Sabres have been demolished offensively. First on the bill this year is to get a high scoring, puck moving center and an offensive defenseman. You could trade for this or get it through Free Agency, but the prospects won't get it get it done this year. A veteran center will help, especially with the Derek Roy. If Roy learns from a veteran this will help his production in the future.

The Sabres have 14 mil budget-wise and have 37 mil locked away for next year. Because the only notable UFA the Sabres need to sign is Dimitri Kalinin, who could sign for 2-3 mil, leaving 11 mil to fill about 8 minor roster positions. If the Sabres want to leave about 3 mil in leverage, and about 4 go for the league minimum, the Sabres could get a good center for 3-4 mil. That could mean a solid, veteran player like Bobby Holik, Martin Straka or Mike Peca.

Notables:- Paul Gaustad and Danielle Paille are RFA's and need to be re-signed. Depending on how much they go for, the UFA budget could be affected.

- Expect Teppo Numminen to possibly retire. At 37 he's quite the veteran, but he may decide to stay to give the defensemen leadership and hold the team to playing at a high level.

As mentioned they need a center. I've mentioned Holik, Straka or Peca. Defenseman are needed too, but with limited cap budget they could only hope for a solid role/depth player. On defense Buffalo could also be in the market for a big, sturdy defenseman so Bryce Salvador is an option. Rob Davidson, Mark Streit or Steve Montador are also viable fits.

Notables to look for:
Big Strong Defenseman
Veteran Center

The Draft:
Colten Teubert is their guy. Big, strong, great defensively. Can chip in offensively. Or Tyler Myers is another big option. The word big says it all about him. Good reach, offensive ability. Can be the shutdown guy. Either one of these guys are amazing prospects for the Sabres, but if I had to chose, Myers is the way to go.
Go to Top of Page

FranzenFanatic
Top Prospect

23 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  19:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6830

The Draft:
Colten Teubert is their guy. Big, strong, great defensively. Can chip in offensively. Or Tyler Myers is another big option. The word big says it all about him. Good reach, offensive ability. Can be the shutdown guy. Either one of these guys are amazing prospects for the Sabres, but if I had to chose, Myers is the way to go.

OK hotshot how in tarnation do you know so much about the guys who dont even play in the NHL if you arent stealing this?
Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  14:24:40  Reply with Quote
Wow FranzenFanatic, you make it sound like a crime to follow junior hockey remotly. True, I don't know much about prospects because I don't go to many junior level games and junior games are so rarely televised that it's difficult to ever truly know junior prospects unless you are a scout.

I read their scouting report, looked at their stats and then put two and two together. Breif reserarch was needed, but it was easily accessible.

I don't cheat or steal here, believe me. I know that your jelous about the fact I know more about hockey then you, but you don't need to try and make it sound like I tried to cheat. Logic goes a long way my friend, you should seriously consider getting some.

Thats my post for today fellas, I don't have alot of time today as I'm packed. I'll try and get one in for the weekend, but we'll see.

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  02:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you are within a short drive of several junior teams, it makes sense that someone would have to research the scouting report on draft prospects in order to make suggestions as to who a team may be most interested in drafting.
A quick perusal of a team's roster would tell you where they might have holes.
A quick look at a team's draft position compared to what prospects are slated to go at that point in the draft would give you a reasonable idea of who they might realistically expect to draft at that point.

etc...etc...

It's a lot of homework. And until someone else is willing to do this much homework for any given team in the league, then please pose a counter opinion in response to this man's suggestions and observations. At this point it would only be two different opinions anyways.

If you disagree with his suggestions please don't just say that you believe he is "stealing" his ideas. If you truly believe this, then FIND IT. Until you do, please don't attack someone who is putting their hockey enthusiasm to the test. I implore you to do the same!

Pick up the current issue of The Hockey News, put your radio on NHL Home Ice for a couple days, put your TV on the NHL Network, read the message boards on multiple sites, talk to your most knowledgeable hockey buddies, most of what the "guru" has stated is 100% original...the rest is either facts or common knowledge (RFA/UFA status, committed salaries, draft positions, scouting reports, team needs etc..) I haven't seen any of his suggestions at any other source and even if I did I would chalk it up as two separate individuals having similar ideas.

Keep up the solid effort Guru/Leafsfan...even though I do NOT agree with some of your suggestions, I appreciate the ideas and observations. Perhaps one of them will prove to be quite prophetic!!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  08:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why complain about it ...shut up, read it, enjoy it. Himself and Alex are doing this for us, are you going to lose sleep because one of them did take something off of a site ( not saying they did), but really does it bother you THAT much? There always has to be a negative vibe from people for other people trying to do something good on this site.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  09:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

There always has to be a negative vibe from people for other people trying to do something good on this site.

Perfect summation right there.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  08:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the sabres have 2 problems,,, one they dont seem to ever want to lock someone up for longterm big deals,, this is why campbell did not sign an extension which they were trying to get done,, the other problem is Buffalo seems to be a very un attractive team for UFA's guys just dont seem to want to play there,, its too bad but the sabres will be a 8th place team for a few your years while they groom there solid group of young players and just have to concentrate on keeping the team they have now intact,, on a side note if pominville has aother good year roy explodes and afinganov stops playing like a russian they could easily jump into the middle of the east's playoff standing even win their division because MTL will struggle and so will the sens!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  18:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I resent the comment about the Habs
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  00:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

the sabres have 2 problems,,, one they dont seem to ever want to lock someone up for longterm big deals,, this is why campbell did not sign an extension which they were trying to get done,, the other problem is Buffalo seems to be a very un attractive team for UFA's guys just dont seem to want to play there,, its too bad but the sabres will be a 8th place team for a few your years while they groom there solid group of young players and just have to concentrate on keeping the team they have now intact,, on a side note if pominville has aother good year roy explodes and afinganov stops playing like a russian they could easily jump into the middle of the east's playoff standing even win their division because MTL will struggle and so will the sens!

Pasty

Unfortunately, the word out of Buff is that Max's time there is done. I expect that he won't be a Sabre much longer.

I speculate that the reason why FA's aren't eager to go to Buff is: Snowstorms. It's just not geographically attractive to wealthy athletes. Now if they could just sell them on the fact that it's Toronto-Lite...
Go to Top of Page

BradTheBadDad
Top Prospect

73 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  14:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...waiting on the next instalment?

I sincerely hope you didn't let that FranzenFan get to you.

''Eat. Sleep. Hockey''
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  16:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Pasty

Unfortunately, the word out of Buff is that Max's time there is done. I expect that he won't be a Sabre much longer.

I speculate that the reason why FA's aren't eager to go to Buff is: Snowstorms. It's just not geographically attractive to wealthy athletes. Now if they could just sell them on the fact that it's Toronto-Lite...

is he still under contract i think he is hopfully they can market him well and try and get a good return on him depite his rough year,, mayb he'll end up in mtl or wsh due to the fact he markov and ovie are pretty tight!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  18:29:47  Reply with Quote
I will still continu even with the comments left by FF. Seriously, that guy has no life so it doesn't matter anyways lol.

Today I think, that with the draft comming, I would do a mock draft. I would love to hear your comments about what you think of this, and if you agree. After the draft on Friday we will see just how close I get.

1- Steven Stamkos, C (TBL)
2- Drew Doughty, D (LAK)
3- Nikita Filatov, LW (ATL)
4- Zack Bogosian, D (STL)
5- Mikael Boedaker, LW (NYI)
6- Alex Piertrangelo, D (CBJ)
7- Cody Hodgson, C (TOR)
8- Tyler Myers, D (PHX)
9- Luke Schenn, D (NSH)
10- Luca Sbisa, D (VAN)
11- Kyle Beach, C (CHI)
12- Michael Del Zotto, D (ANA)
13- Zack Boychuk, C (BUF)
14- Colton Teubert, D (CAR)
15- Joshua Bailey, D (NSH)
16- Erik Karlsson, D(BOS)
17- Tyler Cuma, D (CGY)
18- Chet Pickard, G (OTT)
19- Jake Gardnier, D (CBJ)
20- Joe Colbourne, D (NYR)
21- Nicolas Deschamps, C (NJD)
22- Mattias Tedenby, LW (EDM)
23- Tyler Ennis, LW (WSH)
24- Colby Robak, D (MIN)
25- Anton Gustafsson, D (MTL)
26- Mikhail Stefanovich, RW (BUF)
27- Jacob Markstrom, G (PHI)
28- Greg Nemisz, C (LAK)
29- Jordan Eberle, C (ATL)
30- John Carlson, D (DET)

What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  20:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind, even if you are well off the mark on a couple of these it will be because a couple of draft day deals changed certain teams' draft positions. It appears that not only are there a couple teams willing to trade up, there are also a couple willing to trade down for immediate help. This will greatly affect who is drafting for what specific need - and when - in the draft order.
Go to Top of Page

BradTheBadDad
Top Prospect

73 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  05:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question, did you list the top 30 players in general or list who you actually think will be drafted based on what you feel that team is looking for? This list seems very well thought out and there is more to it than meets the eye, your knowledge is way up there Guest.

''Eat. Sleep. Hockey''
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  11:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Nashville will be taking d-men with either of their top 15 picks. I think the same about Columbus with either of their top 19 picks. Sounds like Columbus may even use their 1st 2 picks to overpay for a certain Penguin too.

I definitely agree that Atlanta may take Filatov with their 1st pick. Obvious good fit there. And they are saying that they will definitely not be buying out Zhitnick since he is an important part of their plans - those plans might include helping to lure and transition Russian draft picks to the team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6830
( )

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  11:41:10  Reply with Quote
Yes BTBD I did it based on what I think each team will pick. BTW, I could see Columbus taking a defenseman with their 1st because they don't have one in their system. Piertrangelo fits in nicely, and Gardnier would also help stabalize their defensive prospect needs. Gor clarification, the Jackets are going to trade either their 2nd or 3rd pick to the Pens for rights to negotiate with Ryan Malone, but neither of thier 1st will be involved.

Italy game is on in 5 mins, so I may not do a post tonight, or maybe not even until past the draft. No point in making minor thinks important, so expect a new post sometime during the week or Saturday.

Forza Italia!!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  12:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admin agrees with 99pickles. Everything that 6681 / leafsfan has said can be found through multiple sources. Besides this is his "blog", not his pulitzer prize winning original thesis (not yet anyway! ). Cut the guy some slack. Good work Leafsfan!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5372
( )

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  13:55:25  Reply with Quote
Some reason Alex's blog is locked to members only. That's fine I'll highjack this one.

In response to dominating athletes in their sport, I present to you two names. The first is fairly obscure but he is dominant nonetheless. His name is Khan. I don't know the first name (there were a couple of Khan at the time that were up there), but he plays squash about 10-15 years ago.

For a less obscure athlete, I present to you Edwin Moses. 400+ consecutive races won in the hurdles (I believe he did it in the 400m but also was a force in the 110m). I mean 400+ consecutive races over 10 years. Can you imagine Tiger winning 400 consecutive tourneys? When Moses raced, everybody was literally aiming for second.

As for comparing to team sports, please reconsider Pele. I mean this is a guy that warring nations stopped fighting just to watch him play. Most dominant and influential team player ever in the 1900s to now is Pele, without a doubt.
Go to Top of Page

Beans.15
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2008 :  16:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everything. Admin, it's about time we had a new mod anyhow... I think you should consider LF101, he seems really smart and responsible.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page