Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 08-09 Player Predictions Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  15:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 08-09 season is fast on the approach and I put together a little set of predictions for the coming year. Everyone paste this into a message and put your own predictions down. At the end of the season we'll look back and check it out.

Hart- Sid the Kid, sorry Ovie he's back

Vezina- Carey Price

Calder- T.J Oshie

Norris- Lidstrom

Art Ross- Sid

Selke- Malone

Maurice Richard- Ovie

Most improved team, East- T-Bay

Most improved team, West- Chicago

Most unimproved team, East-Atlanta

Most unimproved team, West- Columbus

Most goals scored by team, East- Habs

Most goals scored by team, West- Red Wings

Least goals allowed by team, East - Devils/ Bruins

Least goals allowed by team, West - Ducks

President's Trophy winner - Red Wings

Worst record winner- Altanta

Games played-goals-assists-points for the following:
- Kyle Wellwood - 70-14-16-30
- Steven Stamkos - 78 - 26-32- 58
- Jonathan Toews - 72- 32- 45-77
- Nik Zherdev - 62 - 24-27-51
- Anze Kopitar- 80- 41-53-94
- Sean Avery 77- 18-13-31
- Jordan Staal - 81- 23-34-57
- Thomas Vanek - 80- 39-41-80
- Brian Rolston - 80-25-18-43
- Teemu Selanne 0-0-0-0

Games played by Roberto Luongo- 66

Hab's power play percentage- 24.5%

Mats Sundin will wind up... a Hab

Amount of goals scored by the Devils' leading scoring defenseman- 13

Most improved player- Todd Bertuzzi

Most unimproved player- Mark Streit

Jose Theodore will be - decent

Jay Bouwmeester will be dealt to... Altanta

East finals? Habs

West finals? Red Wings

Cup? Habs

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Edited by - Axey on 08/27/2008 09:19:11

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  19:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey....I'm new at this forum stuff but I think it's pretty cool. List your top 10 point getters for this upcoming year. Time to start thinking of my pool this year. Thanks in advance.

Edited by - Redwings78 on 08/26/2008 19:23:42
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  09:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#1- Well if Sid stays healthy he should be #1

#2 - Ovechkin, very close second

#3- Iginla, new line mates and I think they are better forr him.

#4- Lecavalier, team is a ton better and it should ease alot of pressure off of him and I think he is going to have a good year this year.

#5- Thornton, always a top pick, his points decreased last year but still very high, I expect an increase this year.

#6- Malkin, I know he was second at the end of the season, but if Sid stays healthy he won't be able to stay 2nd in points this year.

#7- Datsyuk, steady point getter. His points have increased every year and possibly playing with Hossa now, who knows what is going to happen with that already stellar line. I expect an increase this year, not too much 5 points maybe? But has potential for a huge upside.

#8- Dany Heatley, if he and his linemates stay healthy he should get alot more then what he did this year, also with alot of changes in Ottawa the team is refreshed and the big 3 should be awesome this year.

#9- Jason Spezza, I put him behind his linemate because I think Heatley is going to have a good year, none the less Spezza will get big numbers this year as well.

#10- Henrik Zetterberg, always an excellent pick, lead the league last year for the first half, had an injury that slowed him down. Health concerns are a factor when picking him. Huge upside if healthy.

Notables -

Marian Hossa, after an unspectacular season last year I would be concerned about picking him but on Detroit playin with that group I expect he will get alot more points than last year.

Alex Kovalev, last year was a huge comeback year for him, can he keep it up? That is the only concern.

Jonathan Toews, team is a ton better, lets hope he can overcome the sophmore jynx.

Paul Statsny, I pick him last year and got him as a steal, this guy is the real deal, his team hasn't improved much but I still expect a big year out of him. If he stays healthy this year he is a solid pick.

Ryan Getzlaf, last year was a big year for him and only expect him to get better, he has the potential to put up huge numbers.

Ales Hemsky, improving alot, surrounded by alot of good players now, anything less then a point-per-game by the end of the season will be disappointing from him.

One player you should keep an eye on is Shawn Horcoff, he had 50 points in 53 games last year. Not many people realize that and he isn't on most people's radar, you can probably get him in later rounds. He is going to be my steal of the draft.

Now my picks are just based on players and points, I didn't include anything about penalty minutes. Also, I didn't include defensemen and goalies, who can go high in the draft as well.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Edited by - Axey on 08/27/2008 09:22:29
Go to Top of Page

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  21:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a ton Axey......I like alot of your insights on these guys and agree with you about what guys should do this season. Thanks for that in-depth reply......I'll be looking at it during my draft.
Go to Top of Page

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  21:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of points I would like to make is I think Iginla is going to break the 100 point mark. Playing with Cammaleri and Phaneuf, who keeps getting better and better, will push him over the edge.

I think Kovalchuk will see a decrease this year with nobody in Atlanta to help him. You may see him on another team in the coming years if Atlanta doesn't build around him.

Heatley is going to have a HUGE year. See what he did in the World Hockey Championship this year? He was unstoppable (so was Doan) and if Spezza gives us a full season.......seriously look out.

I think Marc Savard will see a big increase this season with the return of P. Bergeron and Kessell another year older.

Question: Who do you take first, Kane or Toews???

Edited by - Redwings78 on 08/27/2008 21:19:11
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  10:41:22  Reply with Quote
I'd go with Kane, both have similar production, but Toews has a history of injuries.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  12:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey axey i'm gonna through this out there but i think one of the top 3 vertans take home the art ross this year and win the scoring title i say Thornton is gonna lead with points,,,, 135,,, and Jarome Iginla leads with goals 58 and i'm gonna say vinny Lecavalier will be right behind them.,... then the 21 and 22 year old phenoms.... and carey price looks like the question mark of a very very strong habs roster,,, its kinda all up to him if he has a good year we got a shot at the cup but im worried about the sophmore jinx!!!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  13:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I predict Montreal regrets letting Huet go so soon.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  14:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

hey axey i'm gonna through this out there but i think one of the top 3 vertans take home the art ross this year and win the scoring title i say Thornton is gonna lead with points,,,, 135,,, and Jarome Iginla leads with goals 58 and i'm gonna say vinny Lecavalier will be right behind them.,... then the 21 and 22 year old phenoms.... and carey price looks like the question mark of a very very strong habs roster,,, its kinda all up to him if he has a good year we got a shot at the cup but im worried about the sophmore jinx!!!

Pasty

Yeah, I wanted to say Iggy too but after what Ovechkin did last year I was just unable. But I can easily see Thornton leading the league this year as well. I would have loved to see his points 2 years ago if he had been healthy he had like 92 pts in 58 games? something like that anyways. I completely agree on Price but I think he can do it, just alot of pressure on him though and who knows with a good goaltending coach now Denis may be abel to reach his potential and Halak is right there and ready as well. Can't for this year!

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  14:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

finally someone who agrees with me on that,,, i only get bashed by everyone i know when i say that

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  14:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by MSC

finally someone who agrees with me on that,,, i only get bashed by everyone i know when i say that

Pasty

What I regret about it is the cheap price we let him go for.. that is insane lol 2nd rd draft pick? Come on Bob, Gill went for a 2nd and a 5th and he isn't even top 40 pick in his position.

Also to RW78, I completely agree with you on Savard and Kovalchuk, I was also going to put them down but got a little lazy. As for the Kane or Toews question, Kane was health last year and finished with more points, but Toews I would say has more potential to get more points, but then again not a significant amount more the Kane (Who was healthy all last year). Is it worth the risk is now the question?

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Guest9692
( )

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  14:54:57  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Redwings78

Thanks a ton Axey......I like alot of your insights on these guys and agree with you about what guys should do this season. Thanks for that in-depth reply......I'll be looking at it during my draft.

Don't forget Kopitar is going to be huge again this year. He plays in LA and nobody has him on the radar. Jokinen in PHX and J. Carter is going to break out this year like M. Richards last year.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  15:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definatly agree that they let Huet go for to little.

Kopitar will fly under the radar this year but Jokinin has been under rated for so long he's almost over rated now. Don't expect him to be a sleep pick for anyone. Kopitar in the 4-5 round of a decent pool could happen though.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  16:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also one the no1 will get, Steve Sullivan is back this year after not playing last year. Everyone has forgot about him, well most people and he can easily be a point-per-game player. If Radulov comes back he has potential for some major points but I see a ppg scenario even without him. Also Justin Williams should be a good 6th-8th pick for forwards. With his injury last year not many people will have him on their radar. Bergeron will definitely have a big year this year as well.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  17:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Toews is more productive if he stays healthy but it's a toss up right now. Another guy I keep forgetting about and is due to show some big point increases is Frolov in L.A. With Cammaleri gone to Cagary and Kopitar surging, he could have a great year.
Go to Top of Page

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  17:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for Thornton guys, I really like him but don't you think his points will come down as he plays just average teammates?? Cheechoo, he is so streaky and inconsistant. Marleau is great at intangable aspects of the game and really only plays with Thornton on the PP. It's hard to think he'll be top 5 again with all the changes around the league and so many elite players.

Edited by - Redwings78 on 08/28/2008 17:09:32
Go to Top of Page

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  17:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I get some thoughts and predictions on DAN BOYLE in San Jose!!! This guys was hurt most of last year but is highly touted as a big point getter. Should I be looking at him early as a top defenceman or is he a big risk because of his recent time off?? Please help!!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  10:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boyle is a good pick, he is getting old but he is a solid point getter and I think far to valuable to hope that no1 will notice him in the later rounds. If he stays healthy he should be one of the highest point getters in the league this year in defensemen. Also looking at his history of injuries, the only one that was actually major was this years in the most recent years. He should be good for 70 games this year. The sharks have a good offense too, and a decent pp as well so he should have no problem getting points.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  10:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Campbell in Chicago to get lots of points this year with all the young talent they have. What are your thoughts about T. Kaberle and McCabe in Toronto.....think they will produce again this year?
Go to Top of Page

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  10:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jumping around the league here......what do you think about the NY Rangers this season? Can Lundquist repeat his performance from last year?? How will Gomez and Naslund gel......lots of points??
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2008 :  11:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Campbell is going to have a ton of points. Kaberle is always a solid pick, not a TOP defensemen but none the less will get over 50 pts. As for McCabe well you can definitely get him low and well he had 23 pts in 53 games, not too bad but it was a bad year and with a revamped team in T.O he will prob do better this year.

Lundqvist is a solid #1 goalie, will be even better this year. As for Gomez and Naslund, Gomez prob 70 pts at the lowest and Naslund I don't even know but with a better supporting crew theres only one way for his points to go and thats up.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  18:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think another defenseman in question is Zubov in Dallas. Will a full season with Richards on the PP help his points even at his tender age? I like to take Zubov fairly early but he is also injury prone, so I am not sure. A guy I think will be on no1s radar is S. Neidermeyer in Anaheim!!! He's gonna get a ton of points especially if Getzlaf has a huge year. Agree??? What about Pronger...take or leave for someone else??
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  18:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Zubov is always a solid choice, 3rd or 4th dman, possibly lower if possible! Niedermayer will put up decent numbers and will probably be under the radar. Pronger always has good numbers for a defensemen. Look at Ranger this year too, especially with the acquisition of Meszaros as well for the PP.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Redwings78
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  19:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your help Axey......it's good to talk the talk before heading into a pool. I agree with a lot of your predictions and think you'll do well in your pool!! Good Luck!

Cheers
RW78
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  21:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad I could be a help, I'm pumped for my pool this year. I just hope everything goes my way! Good luck to you as well!

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page