Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Sidney "Ocho Siete" Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  13:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sid "The Kid" Crosby has changed his last name to Ocho Siete!

Sidney Ocho Siete is what we shall hear from here on out...

NOT.... =P

Thank god the NHL has no one that is nearly as cocky, self-centered, or as STUPID as Chad Johnson...
or should i say.. Chad Ocho Cinco.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  14:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because a man wants to legally change his name, how does that make him stupid??

Would you think a man legally changing his name to "Tiger" would be stupid as well???

Try telling that to Eldrick, Sorry, Tiger Woods.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2628
( )

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  17:53:40  Reply with Quote
Tiger woods is a stupid name. He's very talented, yes. But still a silly name.
Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  07:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, AND THIS IS FACTUAL AND WAS SAID BY JOHNSON IN INTERVIEW, he changed his name to "Ocho Cinco" so the show can go on (as in all his TD's along with his now NFL monitored celebrations), for fans to buy more of his jerseys (since now the C. JOHNSON 85 is now legally obsolete, and because he actually just wanted to be able to keep "OCHO CINCO" on the back of his jerseys without his coaches, team players (including leader Carson Palmer), and referees ripping the tag off (yes, when he had it before, it was only sewn on untight so in case of ANOTHER FINE for Johnson, he could take it off, which never happened, only others did the taking of the name off the jersey).

AND by the way, I never said legally changing his name was stupid, I think the way CJ (or now COC) acts on and off the field is stupid. Besides, if you are going to change your name to your number for publicity and to show you think you're a one man show on your team, than don't make it Ocho Cinco (Eight-Five), make it Ochenta Cinco (Eighty-Five)
Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  07:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And yes, I'm sure all of you now know that I am a football fan and do have to root for the Lions (one of the NFL's worst franchises in the long run, with exception of Barry Sanders). But that doesn't mean I'm tied between hockey and football. Hockey is my sport. I enjoy watching hockey probably 10 times more than football, 20 to 25 times more than basketball and baseball.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2008 :  14:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a stupid thing to do. Enough Said.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  02:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baimerr
don't make it Ocho Cinco (Eight-Five), make it Ochenta Cinco (Eighty-Five)

I've been laughing about this with friends, I'm glad someone else has noticed!!
Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  17:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha i know.. toooooool
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  06:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is no different then Ichiro Suzuki going by his first name as opposed to his last name. He's just having a bit of fun, what's the problem?
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  07:58:54  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

This is no different then Ichiro Suzuki going by his first name as opposed to his last name. He's just having a bit of fun, what's the problem?

Ichiro goes by his first name because there are a lot of players in Japan with the last name Suzuki. He wanted to seperate himself to help his career and the scouts. Nothing to do with having fun.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  08:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"He wanted to separate himself"

"there are a lot of players in Japan with the last name Suzuki"

Thank you for proving my point that it's no different.

Did you know that there are only 3 people in all of North America with the last name Johnson?

I don't know if you noticed or not but Suzuki isn't in Japan anymore and he definatly didn't need to separate himself from other Suzuki's with what's on the back of his jersey. His game did that well enough on it's own.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  08:29:06  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

"He wanted to separate himself"

"there are a lot of players in Japan with the last name Suzuki"

Thank you for proving my point that it's no different.

Did you know that there are only 3 people in all of North America with the last name Johnson?

I don't know if you noticed or not but Suzuki isn't in Japan anymore and he definatly didn't need to separate himself from other Suzuki's with what's on the back of his jersey. His game did that well enough on it's own.

My point is he wanted to help the scouts distinguish his talants from others.

C. Johnson was already known as a star then he changed his name. If would have changed his name before becoming famous to help the scouts that would be different.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  08:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unless you have the worst scouts you could possibly hire they don't need a name to distinguish players from each other.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  12:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that "Ichiro Suzuki" would be the Western world's ordering of his given and surnames. In Japanese culture he would be introduced, or credited as "Suzuki Ichiro". Suzuki, his family name, would be listed first; followed by his given (or, possibly chosen) name of Ichiro. Therefore, by the rule he could have put either name on his jersey - either his family name of Suzuki, or his second-listed name of Ichiro.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  15:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the thing that makes me wonder about this is that in some cases it's alright for a person to change their name and in others it is not?? That's not cool to me.

When you think of people such as Muhammad Ali(born Cassius Clay), Kareem Abdul Jabar(born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor), Bison Dele(born Brian Williams), Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf(born Chris Jackson) and the likes, we can accept these name changes as they are based on a religious choise.

Why is Chad Johnson any different?? If he wishes to be known as Chad Ocho Cinco, that is his pererogotive is it not?? I just think that regardless of the reason why people want to change their name or weather you think the name is stupid or not, it is irrelevant.

Do we question people that are named something by their parents that we think is stupid??? Frankk Zappa named his four children Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet Muukha Rodan, and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen. Even though they are not main stream names, would people not call them by their name because they think it's stupid??? Nicholas Cage named his son Kal-el after Superman, would you not call him that because you thought it was stupid.

My point is people have the right to change their name and the choice to do so. Who is anyone to disregard that right???
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  19:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come on now, theres a big difference between religious reasons and stupid reasons lol considering the name says eight-five and not even eighty-five shows how dumb it is... and Frank Kappa is a moron and there should be laws against ridiculous naming of children.. personally i dont think you should be able to change your name .. mb your last name to a different parent thats about it or a wife after marraige

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  11:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about tiger woods his name is like aldrich

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2008 :  18:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank Zappa is actually an extremely intelligent man. Shakespeare once asked would not a rose by any other name smell as sweet. Don't sweat the small things.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  18:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

What about tiger woods his name is like aldrich

Tiger Woods birth name was Eldrick Tont Woods. He also legally changed his name to "Tiger." I guess that is not stupid, so it is alright??
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  09:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calling a name "stupid" is an opinion, and last I checked, something covered under free speech.

Ocho Cinquo is a stupid name. Tiger is a stupid name (for humans). And although I love Frank Zappa'z music, Moon Unit, Dweezil and Diva are most definitely stupid names.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  13:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to each his own, if you wanna change your name no one is gonna be giving you a hard time, fame puts a spotlight on people, my boss had his name leagally changed to Bear Hunter you dont see me beaking him, to his face..., so think of it that way

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page