Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Oilers Have No Chance! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  16:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't get your hopes up Oil fans. That was just a blip on the Detroit radar. They'll likely go 3 straight now.

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  17:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same thing for Montreal and Tampa fans.
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  22:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anaheim too. Flames will take 2 in Cali
Go to Top of Page

madduck
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  04:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley

Don't get your hopes up Oil fans. That was just a blip on the Detroit radar. They'll likely go 3 straight now.

I am not going to guarantee that Edmonton will win the series, but the way Edmonton played the First 2 games in Hockeytown, they have a legit shot at taking the series. I would be ashamed if I was a Detroit fan the way Edmonton made them look like amateurs in their own end!!

Edmonton has been able to pick up their game with the likes of Pronger and Peca, and show no signs of stopping now!

Go OIL!!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  08:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blade

Ahem? I know you're the big Flames fan so I don't expect to convince you otherwise. Calgary should lose (hopefully both games) in Anaheim. They're one of only 3 teams in the playoffs with a losing record away from home. Anaheim can match their defensive play but has much more firepower than Calgary and even Kiprusoff (who is not a god by the way) can only take so much. Anaheim won 26 of their 41 home games, and Calgary only won 16 of their 41 away games. Also, Anaheim is 2-0 vs. the Flames this year at home so stats weigh heavily in favour of the Ducks winning and I can't wait for that to happen.

As for Edmonton.... I am embarrassed by Detroit's efforts so far. But I am not sweating it though, Detroit had a better away record than all but 2 teams had home records, including themselves. It would be very unfortunate for Detroit to lose because Edmonton has zero chance of winning the Cup, but obviously Detroit is a serious contender. Look for Datsyuk to have an impact in the next couple games... Though I would cheer for Edmonton if all the other underdogs win, cause then San Jose (5th) would play Edmonton (8th) and well that would be mean a guarantee of Conference Finals for SJ.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  10:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little early to be guaranteeing a conference final for SJ don't you think babs? I agree with you that Calagary will lose in Cali and will end up losing the series in 6 or 7. And don't count out Edmonton yet. Looks like Rolly the Goalie was saving it for the playoffs as he has been unreal for the Oil.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  11:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only guaranteeing a Final should SJ play Edmonton in the semis. For that to happen, the bottom four seeds would have to win and while that's not impossible, it's highly unlikely. Edmonton would be the ideal team for anyone to play because it's only a matter of time before they crumble.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  13:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
babs, you are hilarious! You slam Calgary, who finished 5th in the league, and tote the biggest one-line team in the league (SJ) who finished 11th. You are as bad as Blade (or me for that matter) for picking your "favourite team" to be successful. You are as bad at being "objective" as anyone in these forums.

But that's ok, let's have our little fun. Go Flames!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  14:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He he, I love a challenge...

First of all, Calgary finished 7th (not 5th) and San Jose was only 4 points behind them. I also find it funny (litterally funny) that you should accuse San Jose of being a one-line team (Patrick Marleau anyone?) when you cheer for a two-man team. As a matter of fact, Bob McKenzie from TSN picked Ottawa and San Jose to meet in the Cup Finals before the season even started (exactly my two picks, don't even consider that to be anything other than a coincidence!) so if we're going to evaluate objectivity, I think we all fail. Although I have been open to criticize Toronto who had been my favorite team for quite a few years because there are some serious issues there. I am definitely open to being objective, though obviously with a bias (not entirely an oximoron) towards SJ.

In fact, I love slamming Calgary because they are one of the most overrated teams in the NHL. Now as much as I know you're going to like that one (he he), I will not change my mind so plastering me with their amazing defensive numbers and Kiprusoff's appointment to Sainthood in Alberta will be completely useless. Let's just let the first round of these playoffs dictate who is right and who cheers for an extremely overrated, two-man, ugly-jerseyed, boring as hell to watch team.

Forums can be fun!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  16:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually nashville and buffalo did finish ahead of them in points but placed behind them in the standings because of divisional seating. So 5th or 7th, take your pick. It's still ahead of San Josie.

Ugly jerseyed? Ya know, now that I think about it, I'm not surprised you like baby-blue. Or do you prefer to refer to it as "aqua" or "teal".

As for your Bob McKenzie comment...are you saying you are ripping off his stuff? Or just that you can't think for yourself?

But as usual B-man you do always come up with one good point and in this case that is... "we'll wait and see".
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  16:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for the Bob McKenzie, it may not have come out accurately, I actually only learned about his predictions a couple days ago... I guess it just turns out I made the same ones as he did...

P.S. Aqua will do :) ---> I'd take San Jose's jerseys over Calgary's anyday. Actually my first year as a skater in minor hockey I wore jerseys that were exactly the same except of course for the logo and I loved them!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2006 :  21:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! One of my childhood jersey's was the Canucks yellow orange and black "V". Yes...it sucked! Maybe that's why I became a Flames fan. Wow, I never analyzed that before. Thanks Babs! You've resolved some childhood issues for me. You may know very little about hockey but you are a great shrink! just kidding buddy! hahaha!
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  09:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey don't be bashing the yellow V. My rec team wears them and they are wicked retro style jerseys.

PS. both Calgary and SJ could use a new design. So could the Canucks actually. I would love to see them go back to the blue and green hockey stick.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  11:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll agree with that. But as an LA fan I think our jerseys suck too. Who chooses PURPLE? what the...?
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  11:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purple is the colour of royalty... And I dont think any of the above jerseys are so bad, except the Calgary one. The teams that need a "Jersey Makeover" the most are definitely Detroit, Chicago and St. Louis. The Rangers too, but their alternate is a step in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

goon
Rookie

Canada
113 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  09:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you joking? You can't be serious? Are you? Detroit, NYR and Chicago are part of the original 6 and their jersey's are untouchable. Chicago's is one of the best in sports. What don't you like? No teal or aqua marine blue? No fancy lettering and curvy stripes? They are classic and should never be changed. That would be like changing the Habs or the Leafs look. Do you honestly think that would happen?

Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  10:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rangers and the Bruins have alternate jerseys that they use at home so why couldn't any of the other four Original 6 teams try it out? I'm not suggesting the jerseys be replaced, as these franchises are part of professional hockey history. All I'm saying is why not follow the Rangers and Bruins' suit by modernizing a little and making steps to show that the teams are not buried in their past. Even Toronto has mixed it up by wearing a few different versions of their logos, even sporting the green St. Patrick's jerseys with the brown pants!

This might be the youth in me, but I don't understand why people are so afraid of change. It's a given that history and heritage should be preserved for the sake of appreciation and education for society. Trust me, there are huge debates going on in Halifax about building new developments by our waterfront. On one side, heritage preservation organizations don't want them built because it would block the view of the harbour from the Citadel and so on... Opposing groups suggest that it's time that Halifax get with the 21st century and not be a "Place to visit grandparents" but rather a "Place to visit grandkids". All this to say that I understand both sides of this, but I seriously think it's time for teams to take a step forward. Isn't it what Vancouver and Toronto have done already?

It's not about funky fonts or aqua colours or making a fashion statement, it's about showing the new NHL that these teams that are rich in history have the ability to adapt to modern times and what is now a new game.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  14:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't need to "modernize" a jersey to do keep a team from being "buried in it's past". You just need to win some hockey games. Which essentially is cyclical.

Gotta say...don't touch the orignal 6 jerseys. As for the canuck jersey...it sucks. And everyone in Vancouver thinks they should go back to the stick and rink (blue, white and green)

Yah know, when I was a kid I HATED the Hartford jersey. Man I look back at it now and it was a wickedly good jersey!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2006 :  14:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blade

1 down, 1 to go!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll