Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 The Pressure to Perform Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  16:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which Canadian team is under the most pressure to turn out a good season in 08/09?

Choices:

Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames
Vancouver Canucks

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  16:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toronto always has the most pressure due to media influence, and then montreal because they need to repeat to show last season wasnt a fluke and that carey price can be a number 1 guy. Least is the oilers cuz there never good...

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9298
( )

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  17:10:20  Reply with Quote
Ottawa is best here, at least of the East teams. Toronto's the LEAST because everyone knows they're having a bad season this year. Also, since it's been a decade of FANS pressuring the team to get Cup-worthy and the management NOT listening, by now it falls on deaf ears. Montreal has pressure to repeat, but damn, they're better than ever, so they'll quell the pressure soon. Ottawa has a ton of pressure because they should be good but failed hard last year and need to redeem themselves lest they go into a multi-year funk.

I'm not a fan of a team, I'm a fan of whoever I pick in my hockey pool, so I'm not speaking from a bias.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2008 :  10:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all the Canadian teams with the exception of Vancouver and Toronto have a certain expectation.

Montreal - Spent some money if the off season to make their team better. They have pressure to finish at or near the top of the East and go deep into the playoffs. Anything less than the East Final will be a disappointment.

Ottawa - Was the reason the team tanked Mr. Emery?? Only time will tell. They still have a ton of fire power, but I personally think they let the defense depleat too much. Still expect to finish strong and show up in the playoffs.

Calgary - Simply, they are expected to win a playoff series. Period. Anything less is a huge disappointment and the Keenan era in Calgary will end.

Edmonton - Are the kids alright??? They are expected to make the playoffs. No less will due. Mr. Katz and his billions are there to win, not to hang around. I would suspect that the management will be more aggressive this year and if results are not being met early, there will be changes in the coaching staff and or management.

Toronto know's their limitations and the expectations are low. You know you're in for a bad year when the pundants are preaching "rebuild year" before the start of pre-season. Vancouver on the other had, everyone knows they are a weak team except themselves. They will hang around, but miss the playoffs. They will also continue to create the most boring hockey in the league with low score dump and chase games because they only have 3 offensive players of their 22.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  06:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everything Beans said with only two things to add:

In Montreal, the expectations are ALWAYS pretty high, which means they are often being pushed to do better than expected. They may not have won the cup in a while, but the results show that this winning attitude (and the fans not putting up with losers) actually works.

Toronto is fast becoming the Chicago Cubs of hockey.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  06:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely the Habs.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4450
( )

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  21:36:57  Reply with Quote
Montreal...by far.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6509
( )

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  15:47:51  Reply with Quote
Montreal. Its the 100 year anniversary this year, if they win that 25 stanley cups they would win 1/4 of the years they have been a teamSo deffinantly Montreal will be the team with the most Pressure to do it, they wont expect less then win the cup,
Go to Top of Page

Guest5304
( )

Posted - 10/02/2008 :  20:13:23  Reply with Quote
I think wirh a Interim G/M the leafs will do somenthing good
Go to Top of Page

Guest2345
( )

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  18:17:20  Reply with Quote
Montreal, all the way! Les Habitants. Les Canadiens. My heart. My truth.Pressure makes us powerful.
Says Daver.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6509

Montreal. Its the 100 year anniversary this year, if they win that 25 stanley cups they would win 1/4 of the years they have been a teamSo deffinantly Montreal will be the team with the most Pressure to do it, they wont expect less then win the cup,

Go to Top of Page

Guest2524
( )

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  06:37:39  Reply with Quote
Toronto is always under the most pressure to win. Mainly because the can't win and haven't won anything since the NHL added more teams to the league. I honestly cannot see them winning the cup again unless the league goes back to six teams....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page