Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Luongo named Canucks Captain Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  09:10:09  Show Profile
For those who don't know, The Vancouver Canucks have named Robert Luongo as their Captain. However, according to league rules Goalies can't wear the C so they Canucks have named Willie Mitchell, Mattias Ohlund, and Ryan Kesler as alternates. Mitchell is designated to communicate with on-ice officials and Ohlund will take the ceremonial faceoffs.

I think it's without a doubt that Luongo (like Brodeur in New Jersey) is an undisputed team leader who deserves some form of recognition for the significant roles they play on-ice and in the dressing room.

As well, the Canucks, I think, deserve credit for going against the grain and appointing a goalie as Captain. At the same time, I'm not entirely sure that it's the right choice as far as mechanics go. As stated, Luongo is the "spiritual" leader but the splitting of other tasks amongst the alternates could potentially lead to some issues on-ice and in the locker room.

Overall though, I think it's a good choice and deserved recognition for Luongo's roll on the Canucks. I'm sure Canucks fans are hoping that his groin injury (sustained the same day he was named Captain) isn't too serious.

As an aside, the last goalie to be named Captain was the Habs' Bill Durnan (47-48 season) who left his crease so much to argue calls that they changed the rules the next year to prohibit goalies from acting as captains or alternates.

Your thoughts?

Edited by - spade632 on 10/01/2008 09:11:10

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  09:14:55  Show Profile
This is already a topic

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  11:17:52  Show Profile
Hi Spade632. Here is the link to the first post on this subject for your reference.

http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4768

Love to have you copy and paste your post in there. Cheers!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page