Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Sean Avery Antics Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  14:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Should Sean Avery be allowed to continue his antics?

Choices:

Yes: they benefit his team
Yes: the NHL needs a villian
No: they hurt his team
No: not good PR for the NHL
Other: (please explain)

Edited by - fanoleaf on 11/06/2008 14:51:34

Guest6732
( )

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  14:48:57  Reply with Quote
pretty sure every coach in the nhl would love to have a player like sean in there line up unless there stuck up
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  15:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I can say is that back in the day guys like Avery, Ott, Hollweg, Ruuttu would have had to pay for their stupidity at the hands of guys who enforced the unwritten code of conduct amongst the players. Guys like Dave "the Hammer" Schultz, Dave Semenko, Bob Probert, Marty McSorley, Terry O'Reilly, I could go on and name all kinds throughout different eras of the NHL. Anyways it just drives me crazy that a guy like Avery does what he does and rarely drops the gloves to defend his actions. Even worse, his teamate Steve Ott is the biggest coward in the NHL, if your going to run people at least be a man drop your mitts when challenged (ie; against boston last week). They really should let the players start enforcing the rules again and get rid of the instigator penalty.

Edited by - Porkchop73 on 11/06/2008 15:38:44
Go to Top of Page

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  15:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well spoken Porkchop

Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  15:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted other because I would pick both NO's on your list. I think Avery is terrible for hockey. I don't understand why anyone would want Avery on there team, especially since even his own teamates (Morrow and Modano have both said) dont respect him or like him.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5429
( )

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  19:31:32  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man
[br. I think Avery is terrible for hockey. I don't understand why anyone would want Avery on there team, especially since even his own teamates dont respect him or like him.

I'm surprised the Stars on the ice came in and defended either Avery or Ott in the scrum. I say just let the other 5 guys pummel the snot out of them and stand back and watch.

Send a message, you want to be an idiot? Fine. We don't respect you enough to help in a scrum.
Go to Top of Page

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  19:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Brett Hull figured he was getting a player that is colourful like he was with his comments. What he has ended up with is a time bomb waiting to explode and will bring the stars down with him.

The instigator rule needs to go to get rid of punks like Avery and Ott.

They would not have lasted back in the day!!!!
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  12:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm actually kinda tossed on this one...in no way am I an Avery fan, but my answer would be a bit of both yes and no. On the ice is on the ice. His antics during a game are nothing new believe it or not. He crosses lines with his chatter on ice, and the Brodeur wave, although silly and ineffective, are all part of the game. He's not the first, won't be the last, and if it helps his team during the game by distracting the other team, he's actually contributing. There have been others, Garth Butcher was said to drive opponents nuts with his patter, Ken Linseman made a career out of being annoying, and so on.

What I detest about Avery is his off ice crap. Blatant disrespect for players, coaches, and the game itself, are what make him the loser he is.

If they could find a way to get his off ice persona colorful, instead of ignorant mouthpiece, like a Roenick or a Hull, then the on ice stuff wouldn't draw the attention it does. Of course if he would just leave, that would also be an improvement.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  16:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back a couple years ago, the Kitchener Rangers had a yapper named David Clarkson on their team. He plays for the Devils now but I met the man a couple times and he was an extremely arrogant person. He crossed the line with his antics and his hits but he annoyed the other teams to death and he was really really good at taking people off their games.

Sean Avery is exactly the same. Now, I don't like all his antics but he makes other teams concentrate on how much they hate him rather than winning the game. Modano has come out and said that he doesn't like him and he is ruining the game but people, lets not forget that Avery was a very key figure on the Rangers last year! Avery is not the Stars problem.

I am not a big fan of Sean Avery but it is kinda refreshing to have a hockey player who doesn't give a crap what the media or anyone else thinks of them and aren't afraid to speak their mind.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  16:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont know, i kinda like avery. i mean, i hate him for what he said to blake, about his cancer. but out of all the goons in the NHL, hes the best one. he can score goals, and i love how he gets under players skin

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  14:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha and I quote "I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery told the media. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

Wow, a direct shot at Dion Phaneuf, should be an interesting game tonight.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  15:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Haha and I quote "I am really happy to be back in Calgary, I love Canada," Avery told the media. "I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds. I don't know what that's about. Enjoy the game tonight."

Wow, a direct shot at Dion Phaneuf, should be an interesting game tonight.

WHAT!!!???!!! No way! Axey, where did you hear/read this? I need a source.

If it's true that is just nasty! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  15:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the double post. Axey's right Avery said that. He's been suspended. Get that guy some medication, he's out of control!

Here's a link http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258182&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  15:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice move Avery. After talking smack about Phaneuf and Iginla, he goes and does this to make it so he didn't have to play against Calgary and face the music.

At one time, Avery used to make me laugh. I actually liked him and thought he made hockey a little more spicy. A little more interesting. However, basically starting with the stuff in last years playoffs and now this being the straw that broke the camels back.

The guy is a knob. A complete tool. Dallas should put sit him indefinately. It would be great for Dallas to find a way to get rid of this guy. I would bet huge sums of money that the team in Dallas improves the second Avery is no longer a member of the team.
Go to Top of Page

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  16:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once Avery is reinstated I hope that somebody gives him the ass whooping he derves.......

And who knows it may even be one of his own teammates. The guy is nothing but a compete jackass and has been such for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  17:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm as right-winged as it gets, but hell, I love this guy.

If what he said had any remote impact on anyone, than ya, maybe it would tick me off. But, as much as I think his character is a bad one, it doesn't impact me other than to lighten my day. And to be honest, I love it. Pure entertainment.

It's trash, but it's the funny kind. Kind of like that Oscar guy on Sesame Street. No harm here. Lighten up guys.

Make sure to cast your votes in the PickUpHockey Hall of Fame
Go to Top of Page

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  17:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time and place for everything. No need for him to call in the media to do that. He is supposed to be a professional athlete, a role model if you will.

That is a comment you would here in highschool. He is being paid a lot of money to be a professional and represent his employer, I hope the team fines him too.

I don't think this comment is a bad as the one he made to Blake, but he is a complete jack ass and he is an embarassment to all Canadians (IMO)
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  17:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is some more info: http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=7013261721

Apparently the Stars owner was going to suspend him even if the league didn't.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  17:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And finally, the league has done something about the biggest idiot in professional sports....

Every time he opens his mouth, you can just see future reality show loser written all over him. He makes the folks from Surreal Life look like the friggin Partridge Family. I don't think of Elisa Cuthbert so much as sloppy seconds, but as a girl who just finally got tired of dating an obnoxious version of Gimli.

I hope the suspension is permanent, as I cannot for the life of me see what Avery brings to the game of professional hockey, that is worth more than having to put up with his crap. There are hundreds, if not more, 15 goal(that's his best season yet by the way), role players out there, that have as much talent as him, without all the baggage.
He brings toughness? ... in a Teenage Mutant Ninja TURTLE kinda way I guess...he's an agitator?....of course he is, just with absolutely no class, he makes Ken Linseman and Esa Tikanen look like Lady Byng winners.
This is a guy who had the chance to do what most of us only ever dreamed of doing, and how does he repay us, and the game?
By being a beligerent redneck, who is more interested in a sound byte and his own self-deluded opinions and worth.
I don't think he deserves a beating, he just deserves to be ignored. By keeping him in an arena where the reporters clamor for controversy, his ignorance and self-importance only continue to rise.
Time to cut him loose and he can continue with his 'passion for fashion' sideline, and then at least he has a chance at being the 'best dressed', on a future episode of 'Whatever happened to....'
He doesn't disgust me, so much as disappoint me. He should just be left to drift into his void of self-appreciation, and let one of their prospects play, if they can tie their own skates, they're already more mature.

And yes, I know, in a post above, I said I was tossed in my opinion. Not anymore.

Edited by - fat_elvis_rocked on 12/02/2008 18:01:04
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  19:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avery's a hero for that hey maybe hes just trying to pump up his s***ty team now that there looking pretty bad or make the other team do stupid s*** next game so they can actually have a chance I kinda respect it lol
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  19:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching OTR today and they were all pumped to see him get whooped tonight, to bad he got suspended. That wouldv'e been awesome to see, soon enough someone will get him. He such a terrible guy but he entertains me so I like it.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  07:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I find it hard to believe that people are actually 'defending' his actions and calling it entertaining. Entertaining in an 'Intervention', or 'Dr. Drew Celebrity Rehab', kinda way I guess....

If he trash talked a player on the ice like that, maybe I could understand it and mark it up to his agitator role, but to use the media, who are not the brightest at using judgement as well, as his vehicle for agitation, just screams of poor taste. Even on the ice, some of the crap he's done...unbelievable. You think Jason Blake needs Avery to remind him of his personal battles? You think Cuthbert needs to be referred to in that derogatory manner? All so Avery can get his 15 minutes of fame?

What's next for Avery? Dog fights and illegal weapons charges? It's a professional sport, and like it or not, these athletes have to carry themselves in a manner that is somewhat responsible, he just can't seem to do it, I'm sure someone else can, making him dispensible. The NHL has enough problems marketing the game outside of it's base fans, why market it on the idiocy of this guy?
Go to Top of Page

Radoria
Top Prospect

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  07:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also picked other because Sean isn't good for his team or the game of hockey. He's a classless player and runs away whenever challenged. If the coward would back up his talk once and awhile maybe people would take him more seriously. I find that mediocre players tend to run their moutn off most often, since their skill set is lacking.
Go to Top of Page

Radoria
Top Prospect

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  07:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, that should be "mouth", not "moutn".
Go to Top of Page

TimHorton
Top Prospect

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  07:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All right the guy is a hot head.

But come on getting suspened indefinitly for a "sloppy seconds" comment. I can see how the NHL does not want people to think they embrace that behaviour in a interview, however what ever happened to freedom of speech ? Lets face it locker room talk is worse, he is a young guy with a big chip on his shoulder, and he is a bitter ex.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  09:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping that's it's a cumulative suspension, he's not new to this sort negative attention. Plus the fact that he's now dragging non NHL persons into his drivel, where does liability stand if someone outside the NHL decides that he's being slanderous?
Doesn't matter, I suppose would be the argument, but the fact remains, his antics far outweigh his ability on the ice and he's supposed to be a professional. Every business has some sort of business conduct guidelines employees have to follow, with serious repercussions if not, why not him?
I can pretty much guarantee that if I was to go on television and spout slanderous statements, negatively criticize my employer, and publicly trash talk co-workers, I'd be eating at a soup kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  12:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

I'm as right-winged as it gets, but hell, I love this guy.

If what he said had any remote impact on anyone, than ya, maybe it would tick me off. But, as much as I think his character is a bad one, it doesn't impact me other than to lighten my day. And to be honest, I love it. Pure entertainment.

It's trash, but it's the funny kind. Kind of like that Oscar guy on Sesame Street. No harm here. Lighten up guys.

Make sure to cast your votes in the PickUpHockey Hall of Fame

Its not entertainment when it is directly ment to hurt other people, those people being, Dion Phanuef, Elisha Cuthbert, Jarett Stoll and Rachel Hunter. I don't understand why anyone would offer this guy a contract. I hope the Dallas owner suspends him the rest of the year, it might actually teach him a lesson, if he never gets punished he will just keep on being the a****** he is.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  12:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fat Elvis I have to agree with you. It doesn't matter who you are you cant go around saying whatever you want. I would have loved to have gotten the chance to see the Flames beat down on Avery and see the Stars just watch and not do a thing about it.
Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  13:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL...I must say laughed pretty hard at what he said, but really....the league hadda make it so he couldn't play I mean suddenly Andre Roy would be dressed, and Avery would get his ass kicked 4 times, Roy, Phaneuf, Iggy and Prust. The guy is a serious idiot, and to say that in an interview....not smart at all.
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  11:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot stand this guy. I have never thought his antics helped anyone. I did think that for his style of play, he actually did have some hockey talent. This however is just going too far.

The guy loves the media. He wants his face on TV. I'm sorry but this guy should not have been a hockey player. He should have went into fashion or acting or some other Hollywood related business. It is completely ridiculous to have this guy representing the NHL or the Dallas Stars or whatever. If I was apart of the Dallas Stars I would be embarrassed and ashamed. I believe that despite what Turco and Richards and everyone else have told the media, this guy is a serious distraction to ANY team he plays on.

Just ridiculous.

Edited by - ED11 on 12/04/2008 15:23:07
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  13:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

I'm hoping that's it's a cumulative suspension, he's not new to this sort negative attention. Plus the fact that he's now dragging non NHL persons into his drivel, where does liability stand if someone outside the NHL decides that he's being slanderous?
Doesn't matter, I suppose would be the argument, but the fact remains, his antics far outweigh his ability on the ice and he's supposed to be a professional. Every business has some sort of business conduct guidelines employees have to follow, with serious repercussions if not, why not him?
I can pretty much guarantee that if I was to go on television and spout slanderous statements, negatively criticize my employer, and publicly trash talk co-workers, I'd be eating at a soup kitchen.

exactly where i work i have to keep my facebook nice and clean, i have to watch what i say at all times because when you work for an employer you are representing them,, therefore avery is responsible for his actions ,, a colleague of mine was suspended for a week for comments he made on his facebook page,,, if for my salary this can happen to me i see no reason why sean avery a role model cannot be suspended for his actions,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  15:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know guys, to me this is like Al Capone going down for cheating on his income taxes.

First, I don't like the guy anymore than many of you.

BUT, guys, lets not be hypocritical here. Many of us probably say things at one time or other about our exes that might not be in the best taste. In this case, yes, he did it on TV and that is wrong, but it does seem to me kind of twisted that the guy who was, for just one example, trying to make a natural move out of standing in front of a goalie and waving his stick, should go down for really, when you come right down to it, two words that only his ex could have really, to a major degree, been hurt by.

Was he wrong? Yes.

Does he deserve some sort of scolding from somebody? Yes, probably.

But given all this guy has done, is the general reaction to this incident (the degree of it I mean) yet another example that we can hold up to our kids when explaining that "this is one BIZARRO world kiddo". Yes to that too!

Edited by - andyhack on 12/04/2008 15:04:08
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  06:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree with you Andyhack....except.....this is Sean Avery we're talking about. This isn't J.R, Brett Hull, Chelios etc. who were not only outspoken, but had a couple things they did different. The above all still managed to maintain some class, sort of, in their diatribes with the press, and if they were any in sort of personal media confrontations, they at least confined it to opponents, and ususally in the heat of a playoff battle or similar circumstance. They were all star players who were expected to be available to the media.
They were not, mediocre role players that went out of their way to have their mugs in front of the cameras.
As I mentioned before, I am of the opinion that this current suspension to Avery has more to do with the cumulative effects of his nonsense and Bettman has finally had enough of it. I still can't figure where the upside is to the leauge, or any team, to have this guy contiinue. I still think a lengthy suspension is warranted, to maybe force Avery to reconsider his self-inflated importance to the game, as he has nowhere near the talent to back up his rhetoric. If he can ever get over himself and play the game in an agitator's role, without the media BS, then maybe he could briing some value, but at 10-15 goals, with all the dressing room dissention he brings? Not needed.
Go to Top of Page

rross
Top Prospect

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  08:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, Sean stepped way over the line. Hockey has a certain respect that sets it apart from other sports. Condoning or supporting these antics can only hurt hockey and take away from the game, what so many players, coaches, etc.. have worked hard over many years, to maintain. And that is respect for the sport and it's members.l

Go Habs Go!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  09:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted "other".

It is not up to the NHL to allow Avery to continue his off-ice antics or not . . . it is up to them to fine or suspend him if they deem it necessary, that's it.

I am of the mind that a comment like "sloppy seconds" (which is fair enough, said in private, to the famous puck-bunny Cuthbert) is common enough - just not in public. I think the NHL did a good job to suspend him a bit to show they don't condone that crap off-ice. On the other hand, the NHL has chosen not to suspend other players in the past for beating the crap out of someone or getting busted for coke possession in the off-season or underage drinking. Morality, for the NHL, is only dear when it's very public, it would seem.

So I don't get up on my moral high-horse for this one . . . because really, this stuff sorts itself out. Dallas will most assuredly be getting rid of a player who becomes too much of a negative distraction, and teams will be reluctant to pick up a player who is seen as a bit of a cancer in the dressing room.

Between you, and me, and the deep blue sea - the Calgary player who is Elisha's new boyfriend (can't remember who) did indeed get very, very sloppy seconds.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  15:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Dallas Stars forward Sean Avery has been suspended for six games, without pay, as a result of inappropriate public comments that he made Tuesday in Calgary.

Avery has agreed to seek a professional anger management evaluation and, if necessary, structured counseling in response to a pattern of unacceptable and antisocial behavior."

more on the article here... http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=7013302083
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  08:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I am of the mind that a comment like "sloppy seconds" (which is fair enough, said in private, to the famous puck-bunny Cuthbert) is common enough - just not in public. I think the NHL did a good job to suspend him a bit to show they don't condone that crap off-ice. On the other hand, the NHL has chosen not to suspend other players in the past for beating the crap out of someone or getting busted for coke possession in the off-season or underage drinking. Morality, for the NHL, is only dear when it's very public, it would seem.

couldn't have said it better myself! The NHL didn't suspend the Staal brothers for underage drinking. The NHL didn't suspend Dany Heatley for killing Dan Snyder in the auto crash due to speed. The NHL suspended Mark Bell for only 15 games after a drunk driving, hit-and-run incident, that being his SECOND serious traffic accident. Todd Bertuzzi only got 20 games + playoffs for ending the career and ALMOST killing Steve Moore. Matt Johnson only got 12 games for deliberately injuring Jeff Beukeboom who NEVER PLAYED AGAIN! Personally, these things are way more serious than calling someone "sloppy seconds" If the NHL is so serious about its image and "respecting the other players", they should clean up the cheap shots on ice and the dangerous and illegal stuff off-ice.
Brett Hull.

Edited by - ThorntonisTHEMAN on 12/06/2008 08:43:09
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  11:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

couldn't have said it better myself! The NHL didn't suspend the Staal brothers for underage drinking. The NHL didn't suspend Dany Heatley for killing Dan Snyder in the auto crash due to speed. The NHL suspended Mark Bell for only 15 games after a drunk driving, hit-and-run incident, that being his SECOND serious traffic accident. Todd Bertuzzi only got 20 games + playoffs for ending the career and ALMOST killing Steve Moore. Matt Johnson only got 12 games for deliberately injuring Jeff Beukeboom who NEVER PLAYED AGAIN! Personally, these things are way more serious than calling someone "sloppy seconds" If the NHL is so serious about its image and "respecting the other players", they should clean up the cheap shots on ice and the dangerous and illegal stuff off-ice.
Brett Hull.

Thorntonistheman, I completely disagree. The NHL has no right to (or at least limited rights) to go into someone's PERSONAL life. Half of the examples you cited had absolutely nothing to do with hockey.

- Heatley and Snyder - nothing to do with hockey
- Mark Bell drunk hit and run - nothing to do with hockey

The NHL should have nothing to do with these UNLESS they impede the player from performing his duties. And in that case the punishment, or corrective measures, should be based on that, not the "legal" or "moral" issue (which is a respnsibility of the public courts)

Basically if the NHL wants the courts to stay out of the rink so they can police themselves, then the same should hold true outside of the rink and the NHL should stay out of personal legal matters.

The difference with Avery is that he used the NHL's platform to push his personal agenda...which also happened to be hockey related. He was acting as a professional NHL player when he "performed" his act.

The NHL got this suspension PERFECT.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  13:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dunno how many people I have heard say that "NHL players need to be examples for the general public." I've heard Bettman say it, I've heard coaches and managers say it. I've heard players say it. I've heard pundits say it. I also completely agree with it. Players are making tons of money and are constantly in the public eye so they have a duty to be responsible people for kids (and grownups) to look up to.

If this really is the NHL's goal, to have players be examples for the public, then yes, they need to get involved in the players personal lives. Since some people on this forum like to use work as a practical example, I will do that as well. I KNOW that if I would get in trouble with the law, there would also be serious repercussions with work. That's just the way it is.

Part of the "joy" of being a professional athlete is that you don't have a personal life. Everything they do is scrutinized and therefore they must hold a higher morla standard.

Should Avery have said what he did? No. Was it rude, obnoxious, and completely inappropriate? Yes. Should he have gotten suspended? Maybe. But the NHL needs to take a harder stance on people that disobey the law if they really want to clean up the game.

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  18:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I dunno how many people I have heard say that "NHL players need to be examples for the general public." I've heard Bettman say it, I've heard coaches and managers say it. I've heard players say it. I've heard pundits say it. I also completely agree with it. Players are making tons of money and are constantly in the public eye so they have a duty to be responsible people for kids (and grownups) to look up to.

If this really is the NHL's goal, to have players be examples for the public, then yes, they need to get involved in the players personal lives. Since some people on this forum like to use work as a practical example, I will do that as well. I KNOW that if I would get in trouble with the law, there would also be serious repercussions with work. That's just the way it is.

Part of the "joy" of being a professional athlete is that you don't have a personal life. Everything they do is scrutinized and therefore they must hold a higher morla standard.

Should Avery have said what he did? No. Was it rude, obnoxious, and completely inappropriate? Yes. Should he have gotten suspended? Maybe. But the NHL needs to take a harder stance on people that disobey the law if they really want to clean up the game.

Brett Hull.

Potential and Frequency. That is what the NHL looked at here. Think for a second about how many interviews are done by NHL players every seasons?? I can't even fathom the number. If the NHL turns a blind eye to this situation, is it not telling the other players that it is acceptable??

You teach what you allow.

There is a far higher frequency of player interviews than there is of an off ice incident and without action, there is a higher potential for a negative light on the NHL based on players comments.

And think of how many NHL players are in the league once again. Somewhere around 600-800 players will play in a season. There are maybe (and I mean maybe) 2 situations a year where a body other than the NHL gets involved in discipline. Low frequency, low potential.

The NHL got this suspension Perfect. Not too long to be stupid but long enough to send a message. Every NHL player right now knows the consequences for speaking out of turn.

The NHL is also smart enough to not get involved in legal matters.

Let me use an example. If I go out in my car on the week end and drive too fast and get in an accident killing my friend, would my employer fire me??? No, as long as I can still do my job they have no grounds to fire me.
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  22:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

Brett Hull.

Potential and Frequency. That is what the NHL looked at here. Think for a second about how many interviews are done by NHL players every seasons?? I can't even fathom the number. If the NHL turns a blind eye to this situation, is it not telling the other players that it is acceptable??

You teach what you allow.

There is a far higher frequency of player interviews than there is of an off ice incident and without action, there is a higher potential for a negative light on the NHL based on players comments.

And think of how many NHL players are in the league once again. Somewhere around 600-800 players will play in a season. There are maybe (and I mean maybe) 2 situations a year where a body other than the NHL gets involved in discipline. Low frequency, low potential.

The NHL got this suspension Perfect. Not too long to be stupid but long enough to send a message. Every NHL player right now knows the consequences for speaking out of turn.

The NHL is also smart enough to not get involved in legal matters.

Let me use an example. If I go out in my car on the week end and drive too fast and get in an accident killing my friend, would my employer fire me??? No, as long as I can still do my job they have no grounds to fire me.

Yeah your right but what happeneds if you kill a fellow employee you think your still going to work there? I think what hes trying to say and I agree, is that these little things are so magnafied compared to drunk driving underage drinking killing a fellow teammate that its makes no sence that if the NHL is enforcing why discipline the small things if your not going to discipline the big things to full extent as well. I don't see Moore or Snyder playing. When is there say when you can say a slurr to the media or end a persons playing career with the same results?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page