Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Difference between Cherry and Avery Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  14:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been reading a lot recently about how what Don Cherry says is really not any worse than the comments that Sean Avery has made. Avery has been hung out to dry and Cherry still has his job.

Comments that Cherry makes about non Canadian players (although can't say he does not make comments about french Canadians), Euro's, Russians, etc.

I am a Don Cherry fan, but thought maybe we could get some good debate on this one.

Lets hear your thoughts/views

Crippled Monkeys
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  07:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The differnce is that Cherry is not a rat bastard. Sure Cherry says a lot of stuff that isn't always right but at least he doesn't turtle and try to get someone else to fight his fights for him. Also for the amount of comments that he makes about non-Canadian born players, a good portion of them are correct. At the same time even if you are Canadian but you disrespect the game or run around taking cheap shots, then he will be all over you.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  10:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cherry is the man, and basically he is always correct about what he says. He hates Avery, which he should. Talks bad about him just like the non-Canadians and Frenchmen as well. But he gives credit when it is deserved to the European's and others. Also Cherry isn't directly associated with the NHL right now. HE doesn't play, coach or manage any team. He is an opinionist and gives his opinion.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  10:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although there is some validity to the comparisons, it's comparing apples to oranges, or in this case, Icons to acorns.
Don Cherry is at times controversial, but with the intent of what, in his opinion, either detracts, or can enhance the game. He is not intentionally out there searching for the spotlight, unlke Avery.
Cherry at least tries to bring knowledge and experience, not beligerence and idiocy.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9559
( )

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  11:28:29  Reply with Quote
A couple of points to your so-called debate? issue.
1) If you are truly a fan of Don Cherry, you would be watching him Saturday nights and would not have to read about what he says. His comments might be a little harsh sometimes, but if you take them in the right context, they are quite funny. He does put down non-canuck players alot, but he does it within the boundaries of not being slanderous or cruel, unlike the other individual you compare him to. Whose name I will not mention, because he does not deserve to be associated with hockey in any form. NO CLASS!!!

and 2) I am not surprised you wrote this because from the identity of your user name, you nothing about hockey at all anyways, let alone the difference between a man with class and man without!

GO DON GO!!.

quote:
Originally posted by fanoleaf

I have been reading a lot recently about how what Don Cherry says is really not any worse than the comments that Sean Avery has made. Avery has been hung out to dry and Cherry still has his job.

Comments that Cherry makes about non Canadian players (although can't say he does not make comments about french Canadians), Euro's, Russians, etc.

I am a Don Cherry fan, but thought maybe we could get some good debate on this one.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6603
( )

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  14:40:04  Reply with Quote
it's different averys an nhl player and Don Cherry isn't
Go to Top of Page

Jephman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  14:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6603

Well, you're sort of right. Cherry is a former-NHL player. He played one game with the Boston Bruins.

I think the difference is their intention. Avery speaks only to stroke his ego (He does it to get mentioned on ESPN), while Cherry speaks his mind because he feels there is validity to what he is saying, and his comments aren't meant to be hurtful, unlike Avery.
Go to Top of Page

Crippled Monkeys
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  15:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its blasphemy to even compare Cherry to Avery. It would be kinda fun to see Avery speak his mind on some kind of panel though. I put the over/under at 1 month before he gets canned for saying something stupid.
Go to Top of Page

fanoleaf
Rookie

143 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  15:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Posted - 12/16/2008 : 11:28:29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guest9559
1) If you are truly a fan of Don Cherry, you would be watching him Saturday nights and would not have to read about what he says. His comments might be a little harsh sometimes, but if you take them in the right context, they are quite funny. He does put down non-canuck players alot, but he does it within the boundaries of not being slanderous or cruel, unlike the other individual you compare him to. Whose name I will not mention, because he does not deserve to be associated with hockey in any form. NO CLASS!!!

and 2) I am not surprised you wrote this because from the identity of your user name, you nothing about hockey at all anyways, let alone the difference between a man with class and man without!

GO DON GO!!.
quote:

Guest 9559

I was not suggesting by any means that Don is in the same class as Avery. As I stated, I am a big Don Cherry fan and when I read the articles about the comparison I was very much taken back as I DO NOT see the two being similar in what the stand for and say.

You stated that "his comments might be a little harsh sometimes, but if you take them in the right context, they are quite funny". Does that mean if somebody takes what Avery says in the "right context", it is funny?

Don Cherry is either strongly liked or hated, what I was trying to do here was to get the views on both sides regarding Don. In the past Don has recieved much media attention regarding comments that he made, both positive and negative.

As for a you to asses my hockey knowledge as knowing nothing at all and not knowing the difference between a man with class and a man without, based on my user name tells me just how ignorant you are. I am not going to judge you as either having class or not, but I am quite sure that you lack coohoonies to become a member. Leave that mangina of yours alone, become a member and then start to debate hockey facts with me.
Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  16:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude, at least read the post before you attack it. First off, he said he's been reading opinions about Cherry, not Cherry himself. This leaves one to assume he catches coaches corner each and every Saturday night like every red-blooded Canadian (who isn't writing a stupid exam that night like me last week).

Second, he said he just wanted to get some debate going. Personally, I think the context is completely different coming from a man who's job it is to talk and give his opinion to a guy who's job is to play hockey and help his team win. Plus Cherry is honest, Avery is just a d*** for the sake of being a d***. It's an act.... On the other hand... he is a pretty big d*** anyways lol.

In conclusion, GO DON GO! lol

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9559

GO DON GO!!.

quote:
Originally posted by fanoleaf

Go to Top of Page

Guest6681
( )

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  17:19:01  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jephman

quote:

Well, you're sort of right. Cherry is a former-NHL player. He played one game with the Boston Bruins.

I think the difference is their intention. Avery speaks only to stroke his ego (He does it to get mentioned on ESPN), while Cherry speaks his mind because he feels there is validity to what he is saying, and his comments aren't meant to be hurtful, unlike Avery.

You do not think Cherry is stroking his own ego by belittling others?

What Avery says may have validity as well.

Cherry's comments may not be meant to be hurtful but that does mean they are not hurtful. Saying someone looks like a thug is not a compliment to most people.

Cherry is smart and has a heart of gold with some of the stuff he does...but I personally cannot listen to him anymore, part of the time he just shoots crap off the top of his head with no thought whatsoever.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6681
( )

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  17:20:29  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6681

quote:
Originally posted by Jephman

quote:

You do not think Cherry is stroking his own ego by belittling others?

What Avery says may have validity as well.

Cherry's comments may not be meant to be hurtful but that does mean they are not hurtful. Saying someone looks like a thug is not a compliment to most people.

Cherry is smart and has a heart of gold with some of the stuff he does...but I personally cannot listen to him anymore, part of the time he just shoots crap off the top of his head with no thought whatsoever.

Sorry, should have said, "but that does NOT mean they are not hurtful"
Go to Top of Page

Guest6681
( )

Posted - 12/16/2008 :  17:23:16  Reply with Quote
And there is nothing wrong with someone stroking their own ego.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0753
( )

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  01:50:39  Reply with Quote
Cherry is a beauty. He gives his opinions because thats what his job is. If they wanted some little pansy giving his opinion about hockey they would get that person but they got Cherry, Cherry lives and breathes hockey and should not be even compared to Avery. Avery gets paid to play hockey and shut the hell up. Cherry gets paid to open his mouth and shed led on hockey for all to see.
Long live the man in the white collar shirt!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6681
( )

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  02:37:21  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0753

Cherry is a beauty. He gives his opinions because thats what his job is. If they wanted some little pansy giving his opinion about hockey they would get that person but they got Cherry, Cherry lives and breathes hockey and should not be even compared to Avery. Avery gets paid to play hockey and shut the hell up. Cherry gets paid to open his mouth and shed led on hockey for all to see.
Long live the man in the white collar shirt!

Avery gets paid to ENTERTAIN FANS. And this is a free speech society so if Avery wants to talk, he has EVERY right to. If the people in the media do their jobs and ask Avery or any hockey player questions, are you expecting him/them to sit there like a mute/mutes? Oh duh sorry we are paid to play hockey, no can talk to media.

Don Cherry is paid to give opinions on hockey but that does not mean he has the right to insult people...he is not paid to honour dead soldiers either but he chooses to do extra....Avery chooses to do more than play hockey to entertain the fans.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6836
( )

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  08:29:00  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6681
Avery gets paid to ENTERTAIN FANS. And this is a free speech society so if Avery wants to talk, he has EVERY right to.

This isn't a freedom of speech issue, your employer telling you what you can't say or how to act while you are representing your employer are simply a terms of your employment. If you choose to not follow the terms your employer will take the appropriate action, as was the case with Avery.

If Avery was arrested, fined by the government, etc... that would be a freedom of speech issue. But to think that players should be aloud to say whatever they want while they are representing the NHL is silly, the NHL wants to have a positive image and doesn't want to be associated with comments like those that Avery made which could alienate a portion of their fan base.

If you said something similar to what Avery said, to the media while representing your company, such as by wearing their uniform or something similar. I could almost guarantee that you would get fired immediately.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0753
( )

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  00:50:57  Reply with Quote
"Avery gets paid to ENTERTAIN FANS"
NO. paid to play hockey simple as that. Shut up Avery. Obviously I'm right because the NHL and Dallas agrees.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8116
( )

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  12:08:51  Reply with Quote
Don is the man , avery is jsut a little boy looking for attention

NO COMPARRISON. grapes is a hockey icon , avery is hockey trash
Go to Top of Page

Guest6657
( )

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  14:32:49  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0753

"Avery gets paid to ENTERTAIN FANS"
NO. paid to play hockey simple as that. Shut up Avery. Obviously I'm right because the NHL and Dallas agrees.

LOL, players playing hockey is entertainment to fans...if you did not find hockey is a form of entertainment then why are you watching it?
Go to Top of Page

Guest6657
( )

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  14:34:40  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8116

Don is the man , avery is jsut a little boy looking for attention

NO COMPARRISON. grapes is a hockey icon , avery is hockey trash

And apparently Don wants no attention at all right?

Go to Top of Page

Guest7166
( )

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  10:20:51  Reply with Quote
avery is a clown... everyone had one of him on their hockey team and he might lighten the mood and chip in once in a while but then does something ridiculous because his iq is 60

but

don's iq is 59.... not to mention he is an old senial hack that played in the minor leagues and then coached a goon squad! if he was on any other channel but one run by the canadian gov't (CBC) he would have gotten the axe a long time ago

they are both black marks on hockey
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  11:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its unanimous, Avery is a dolt.

In a world gone mad with political correctness, Don is a breath of fresh air.
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  11:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And its too bad, because Avery DOES have some skill, just no common sense.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  14:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who's Sean Avery?...

Excuse, me..I have to go watch Coaches Corner now...

Kinda sums it up doesn't it? Avery only got about 9 of his allotted 15 minutes of fame, and Cherry is still on every Saturday night.

He obviously doesn't have the talent to keep him in the game or he would playing right now, somewhere. If you're gonna be a mouthpiece, at least have the talent to back it up. Get some lessons from JR or Brett Hull or Chelios. These are entertaining, quotable hockey players.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page