Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 NYR and TOR trade Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest2648
( )

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  14:18:24  Reply with Quote
Here it is men.

To NYR

Jason Blake (4M)
Tomas Kaberle (4.25M)

To TOR
Chris Drury (7.05M)
Wade Redden (6.5M)

Reason why, Toronto gets two good veteran players Drury is and upgrade from Blake. and Redden is a skilled puck moving guy. most likely #1 pp man. role model for schenn

Dublinsky needs a BIG aise, Zherdev needs a raise and gives the rangers cap room. they also get kaberle a puck moving defencemen at a good price.

Guest4414
( )

Posted - 12/27/2008 :  21:02:51  Reply with Quote
Uneven trade. Good for the Rangers, not so good for the Leafs.

Kaberle is a greater asset than Redden, and Drury is a greater asset than Blake. So the trade is relatively even in terms of player quality. But I believe the added salary that the Leafs would pick up isn't justified and could be spent better elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6562
( )

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  01:16:12  Reply with Quote
Yeah it just seems like too much salary going to Toronto, especially Redden at 6.5 million!

And it defeats the purpose of the trade to trade Kaberle for a role model for Schenn...if that is their concern they would just keep Kaberle...younger, way more talented and significantly less expensive.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  06:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burke would never make this trade, full stop.

Don't get me wrong - he'd dearly like to get rid of Blake and get something in return, anyone would, Blake has been brutal here. And I don't think management would shy away from a good deal if someone wanted Kaberle - and trust me, as time goes by, the offers will come!

But here's the thing: we can pick and choose, because the season is one of development anyways. We want to deal some pieces right before the trade deadline, when their value is highest; and we want great young players or first round draft picks in return.

This trade fits none of those requirements.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest6481
( )

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  12:43:52  Reply with Quote
yea i admit blake has sucked the past few years and i dought anyone would want him. but i have to say he has stepped it up after being benched at the start of the season, i mean hey i guess that was a smart move by wilson he should bench 85% of the team and hope they all come out like that
Go to Top of Page

Coach
Top Prospect

2 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  13:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahem... think about this for a second.

Why would a team that's rebuilding at this time want to add two veterans like that? Granted, I wouldn't mind seeing Redden as a Leaf, but maybe down the road? ...when we're ready to make an actual push in the playoffs.

This is a bad idea, not only because the team is not ready for the playoffs, and won't be for another couple of years, (there's a difference - pretender vs. contender, and the Leafs will be pretenders even if they squeak in the next couple of years) - but because this transaction would result in the Leafs adding in a significant amount of money to their payroll, thereby loosing one of the few advantages they have currently, WHICH, is cap space. This is not evident right now but wait till next year.

So, the Leafs keep developing their youth as they are currently (Schenn will be just fine he's got a good core of defensemen to learn from not like the likes of Redden, but it will do, and he's way ahead of the pack in terms of development. As well, wilson will know how to tap into his full potential) - and they trade Kaberle who is our most marketable asset at this time, they trade him for drafts picks, as high as they can get. And Blake, it will be a salary for salary transaction with the Leafs taking a bit of a hit but possibly with a late round pick included.

I say Toskala goes first...but that's just a hunch.

Coach
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  15:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is completely laughable. Redden is better than Kaberle at literally every single facet of the game. And you might want to take a look at the fact that not only is Blake 3 years older than Drury, but also that Drury can play in any forward position, PK, PP, literally anywhere. Blake can hardly play offensively and he has been a regular healthy scratch. I don't think Drury has been a health scratch in his career! Plus, Drury is a clutch in the playoffs. Only Sakic has more playoffs points since 2000.

Any way I look at this, it's a huge step backwards player wise for the Rangers and the money they would save would have to be spent to compensate for the shortcomings of Blake and Kaberle compared to Redden and Drury.

Why is it that some Leafs fans have this completely delusion misconception that all the other GM's in the league will bend over for Burke and take garbage players with garbage contracts for the other team's best players????

Wow.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  15:40:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would either team do this deal, NYR already have better players than Kaberle and Blake. They certainly do not need to lose talent to get more cap space. NYR are contenders this year and need to look only to improve for a run at the cup. The leafs have no need for Drurys or Reddens salary burdens when they are rebuilding. They also do not fit the mold of what they are trying to build in TO. I think any team would like to have Redden or Drury but the cost is too much. Personally I think this deal is a huge joke!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6552
( )

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  19:33:59  Reply with Quote
Redden better than Kaberle? LOLOLOLOL.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  03:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6552

Redden better than Kaberle? LOLOLOLOL.

Yes!
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  07:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed....this deal is a joke. Stop making Leaf fans seem stupid. The only thing Burke will be trading for are prospects and picks. He may end up taking 1 or 2 younger, inexpensive roster players in deals but thats about it.

Antropov to Vancouver for a 2nd and a prospect anyone?

Oh, 2007-08 called and It wants Kaberle to Philly for a 1st and Jeff Carter..... damn you muskoka 5! Damn you all! But mostly, damn you JFJ!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page