Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Best Goalie in the NHL Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  14:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

Obviously Luongo probably should be part of the conversation, but honestly Brodeur is still the man. He has won cups and conn smythes and carried slightly above average devils teams to a quasi-dynasty over the last 15 years.

Luongo maybe great, but as of now he hasn't gotten it done when it mattered. Even Canucks fans will have to admit that last year's game 7 against Chicago was a total trainwreck from Luongo. He choked when the pressure was on, plain and simple. Despite posting great numbers in Florida, obviously they never even made the playoffs while he was there.

P.s. Marc Andre Fleury and Cam Ward deserve more attention and consideration than Mr Luongo, since both have rings and have a proven playoff track record.

Hugh....agreed, Luongo shat the bed vs Chicago last year. And, i agree Ward and Fleury deserve a little more credit than either gets. I in fact, am still just coming around on Fleury. I've still got that "he's got a great offensive team in front of him" and "he reminds me of Grant Fuhr in that he's in a good situation to win" feeling, if you know what i mean. He is gaining more and more of my respect this season though! Regardless, if it were me running Canada's team and i had to choose between Fleury, Luongo and Ward, i'd go with Luongo and i promise you that's nothing to do with him being a Canucks or the home ice, etc etc. He could still be in Florida, and he'd be my pick of the three.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3364
( )

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  16:53:22  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey Boy

So your going into the playoffs...you are the head coach of a mid range team, your going to tell me you would rather have a goalie like Vokoun or Thomas over a proven stanley cup champion like Osgood? Osgood had 37 wins in 60 games the only full season he played with STL. injuries hurt him the others. The Blues were a below average team that year and missed the playoffs. Osgoods fault? hell no. He signs with Detroit and wins two more Stanley cups. Was Detroit a very good team? yes there were...so has the San Jose sharks over the years but their goalie who everyone thinks is in the top 5 can't get past the second round. Why? Because goalies like Osgood, Ward, Turco rise to the occasion when their teams needs them to. And that is what i would look for in a top goalie. Its all bout the playoffs!
and can you win?

MP

Can you explain why every year going into training camp, coming to trade dealine and going into the post season every sports commentator list Osgood as a liability? Detroit for about 10-15 years or so has loaded the forwards with veteran leaders and kept the core Defensive Allstars and can't afford a decent starter. If Detroit wasn't restricted by the cap you bet they would sign a better goalie than Osgood to start. Detroit has a reputation of the puck control and keeping shots against to the outside away from dangerous scoring area's which Osgoods stats have benifited greatly from.

Btw, Osgood is making $1.5 million a year and Vokoun was signed for $5.7 million. Unless Osgood is getting grossly underpaid or Vokoun is getting grossly overpaid I'd say there respected GM's agree which is the better goalie. To my knowledge Vokoun is the Czech #1 goalie come Olympics while Osgood will be watching from home.
Go to Top of Page

Habsfan17
Top Prospect

6 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  14:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You kinda forgot brodeur and he gets my vote he is only 1 shutout away from tying the best goalie ever.

Habs Rule
Habsfan17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page