Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Who's Getting Traded? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  14:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which of these upcoming free agents is most likely to be traded before the trade deadline?

Choices:

Jay Bouwmeester (Fla)
Marian Gaborik (Min)
Nikolai Khabibulan (Chi)
Jordan Leopold (Col)
Filip Kuba (Ott)
Nik Antropov (Tor)
Bill Guerin (NYI)
Other (Who?)

Edited by - ThorntonisTHEMAN on 02/06/2009 05:14:07

Savitar
Top Prospect

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  17:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've gotta go with Bouwmeester, the Panthers have been aggresively trying to get him to re-sign for a couple of years and he just isn't that interested. He's a genuine Grade A talent, and with Florida being as young as they are, a few high draft choices would be a better than decent consolation prize if they can't sign him.

"I call the big one Bitey"
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  05:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hopefully Toskala but probably Kaberle, but I chose Bouwmeester because there is a lot of talk about Florida wanting to get rid of him lately. I doubt Antropov will be traded he's part of Toronto's future

Edited by - hanley6 on 02/06/2009 05:08:34
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  05:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

I chose Bouwmeester because there is a lot of talk about Florida wanting to get rid of him lately.

I don't think Florida wants to get rid of him but rather that he simply doesn't want to resign in Florida. He wants to play in a more "hockey-friendly" city. But Florida has a very good, young, exciting team and I wonder if he will stay there with them playing as well as they have been.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  05:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole Bouwmeester situation is very, very tricky for Florida, and I do not envy the GM here. Florida is playing well, is right in the thick of things for the playoff race, and the number one prime rib defenceman could walk away without the team getting anything back if they keep him.

I have to think that every effort will be made to keep him, but the offers will come . . . I still say it's 50/50, because Florida could easily make a last minute big offer to keep this growing young team together.

I voted Antropov, because he is a sure thing for Burke to want to get rid of, and there will be teams that will want him. Hanley, you wanna make a bet that Burke will want to keep a large, physically shy, underachieving forward in the Leaf's mix?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest7161
( )

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  05:58:40  Reply with Quote
quote:

hopefully Toskala but probably Kaberle, but I chose Bouwmeester because there is a lot of talk about Florida wanting to get rid of him lately. I doubt Antropov will be traded he's part of Toronto's future

HAAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!!!!
Toronto"s "Future" !!!?!?!?! HAAAAAAAA
more like Toronto's PAST !!!!!
Trade Burke !!!!!
All he did so far is bring in MAY...HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  13:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bouwmeester is gonna get traded
Florida just isnt the place for him

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  15:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7161

quote:

HAAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAA!!!!!!!
Toronto"s "Future" !!!?!?!?! HAAAAAAAA
more like Toronto's PAST !!!!!
Trade Burke !!!!!
All he did so far is bring in MAY...HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I said Antropov is part of Toronto's future. I didn't say he is there whole future. He's still young and has been playing good hockey in the last three years.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9054
( )

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  16:51:49  Reply with Quote
Alex Kovalev or Saku Koivu should be trade for montreal...
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  10:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hanley, I like your faith in Antropov but I have to disagree. His is definatley part of the past. If you can get a 2nd and a 4th for him, I say do it without thinking twice. The Leafs desperatley need draft picks and he is one of the few guys on the team who can pull it off. I've always thought that 'Big Nik" was sorley lacking in the 'balls' department as well. I don't see him being on a Stanley Cup winner in T.O.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest0784
( )

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  12:43:57  Reply with Quote
i don't think anyone wants gaborik he's always hurt and gets paid alot i said boumesster
Go to Top of Page

MrD
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  09:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say Antropov only because Burke just announced they won't be offering him a contract because he might "need a change of scenery". I don't know if this means they'll be looking to get something for him rather than nothing, could be....

Milbury and McGuire should fight to the death and both lose.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  10:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Antropov is as good as gone. Also, for anyone who thinks that Burkes comments have 'lowered' his trade value, I must say, I dont think thats the case. All burke said was that he felt that Nik and the maple leafs would probably part ways, and that a contract extension wasn't warranted at this time. Nik doesn't fit into the plans of the rebuilding maple leafs, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a nice fit somewhere else in the NHL. The other GM's aren't stupid, they know exactly what they would be getting in Nik Antropov. A big forward who has good hands. Burke's comments do not change that. I think he gets a 2nd and a prospect or a 4th/5th

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  15:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's somthing to think about. If the Leafs were looking into their 2nd round pick this year do you think they'd be satisfied drafting a player who turned out to be identical to Antropov in every single way? I don't think so, I think they would have much higher expectations from a 2nd round pick then Nik Antropov. That being said, what exactly makes him worth a 2nd round pick let alone a 2nd AND another prospect?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  16:21:52  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

Here's somthing to think about. If the Leafs were looking into their 2nd round pick this year do you think they'd be satisfied drafting a player who turned out to be identical to Antropov in every single way? I don't think so, I think they would have much higher expectations from a 2nd round pick then Nik Antropov. That being said, what exactly makes him worth a 2nd round pick let alone a 2nd AND another prospect?

So your saying they should have more expectations on a 2nd round draft pick then anyone else on their team? Antropov is one of the leafs better players i think the leafs will take anyone at the moment. This isnt the 2nd pick overall were talking about, half the kids drafted in the 2nd round this year may never even play in the show. Have you ever thought maybe it isnt the fact Nik sucks but the fact the team is horrible you put him on a good team on the 2nd line and he could be a big factor.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  22:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

quote:
Originally posted by MSC

So your saying they should have more expectations on a 2nd round draft pick then anyone else on their team? Antropov is one of the leafs better players i think the leafs will take anyone at the moment. This isnt the 2nd pick overall were talking about, half the kids drafted in the 2nd round this year may never even play in the show. Have you ever thought maybe it isnt the fact Nik sucks but the fact the team is horrible you put him on a good team on the 2nd line and he could be a big factor.

Great point, but I would have to think that Antropov for a couple of picks is worth the risk of potentially drafting at least one player as good as he is a possibly 2. Above that, he is $2 million a season that could be spent on Gabovski, who is a player(IMO) that can produce as well as Antropov can or better over time.

2 picks and the potential of signing Gabovski is a decent deal in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  04:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Antropov for just picks? Hmm, I hope not . . .

I am thinking Burke will be smarter than that, knowing that Antropov likely won't garner a 1st rounder. If he does, then just the pick is fine. But if he only gets a 2nd rounder plus garbage, you might as well get some kind of utility player, role playing guy who fills in one of the many gaping holes the Leafs have - good checker, penalty killer, defensive defenceman, tough guy who can play a bit. Hopefully, Burke is smart enough to at least fill a roster spot in return - because some good team out there should be willing to pay highly for a solid 2nd line scoring threat and playmaker before the stretch run.

Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  05:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I'm saying is I wouldn't consider it a succesful trade if I sent Antropov packing, got a 2nd round pick and ended up getting someone who turned out just like him.

Dropping him and getting the 2nd round pick plus freeing up the cap space however does make sense.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  06:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough MSC - but what I am saying is that Burke would be foolish to only get back a 2nd rounder and a bag of pucks for Antropov at the trade deadline.

Even for one of those western teams fighting for a spot, he would be a valuable addition. A team that already has toughness, but would like some more scoring touch on the 2nd line doesn't come cheap right at the deadline . . .

Antropov for . . . let's see . . .

Anaheim (Burkie's old team!) - Ryan Carter? (big, young tough forward)

Dallas - Trevor Daley? (tough young D) and a pick

Minnesota - Nick Schultz (tough young D with offensive upside)

Columbus - Marc Methot (tough, young big D with lots of offensive upside) Toronto would have to throw in another player perhaps

I tell, ya, it's easy being a GM!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  08:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Burke has done himself a disservice by openly commenting that he won't resign Antropov. This is an open call to the other GM's to offer less than market value as I would think Burke would take something over losing him as a UFA for nothing.

And another thing to consider in that player at the trade deadline often have a lower than market value compared to off-season trades or trades during the season. A perfect example is Huet, who went for nearly a bag of pucks last trade deadline.

I can't see Antropov going to more than a couple of draft picks OR a 3rd/4th line player. I don't think Burke will be able to get a player and a pick.

I still think either is better than losing him and getting nothing back.
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  06:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sabres Report:

From what I've heard. Look to Buffalo to try and pick up an offensive or defensive d-man. As well look for them to attempt to pick up a 2nd liner, such as Zubrus in previous years. However, don't look to them to make the big blockbuster. They'd love to pick up a player like Kaberle but Regier does not like giving up assets. Klesla, Leopold and Liles could be on their radar. For forwards they could be looking at Antropov, or Hejduk type players.

On the outs in Buffalo:
Buffalo seems to be obviousley looking to trade Afinogenov. Max has been out with injury for at least a month now and the team is as fired up as ever. Look to see a straight pick for player trade as soon as he gets healthy. Possibly a 3rd round or 4th. Danny Paille has been a healthy scratch the past few games. A prospect who was looked to score a few here and there has disappointed coach Lindy Ruff. Kotalik, a UFA at the end of the season is the also expendable. A solid gritty power forward with a cannon could be an excellent addition for teams like Pittsburg looking to acquire a second line winger.
Two of the more controversial names possibly up for grabs are Connolly and Stafford. Drew an RFA and Tim a UFA. However, with their excellent play as of late really puts Darcy in a hard place, look to Regier to only deal these assests if a Tomas Kaberle, or Kovalchuk deal falls in his lap.

Just as a bonus!
I've been hearing a Tampa Pittsburg rumor that makes a lot of sense.
St. Louis for Whitney. Obvioulsey a few other picks and players involved but this would be the main pieces to the block buster.
This trade makes a lot of sense, the Penguins want a top line winger, Tampa wants a number 1 offensive d-man and as of late Pittsburg has listed Whitney as expendable.

Crosby is not the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Edited by - Reeder17 on 02/12/2009 06:25:45
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page