Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
 Grind Line
 The Big E Goes West Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Zoran
Top Prospect

Canada
55 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  11:12:19  Show Profile
It looks like Eric Lindros will be playing in the Western Conference for the first time in his NHL career. His career started in Philadelphia, was traded to New York, and last season he played in his home province for the Leafs. All reports indicate that the Dallas Stars have offered the Big ‘E’ a one-year deal worth $1.5 million and could go as high as $2.5 – 3 million because of performance bonuses.

Like Sidney Crosby, Eric Lindros was considered ‘The Next Wayne Gretzky’ and reached superstar status as an eighteen year old – well before he ever skated on an NHL rink. Unlike Crosby, he started off his professional career with a prima donna attitude and refused to play for the team that drafted him. First impressions are important and I think that the majority of hockey fans still see Lindros as that spoiled rotten teenager.

Although I have never liked Eric Lindros, there is no denying the fact that he was a great hockey player. He was awarded the Hart Memorial Trophy as the league’s most valuable player in 1995; during the 1995-96 season he scored 115 points and was easily the most dominant player in the league.

Then came the injuries.

Lindros has been battling injury troubles over the last ten seasons. I can’t recall whether or not it was Darius Kaspariaitus who inflicted the first concussion, but I do clearly remember watching the infamous hit in which Scott Stevens drove his shoulder into Lindros’ face. His concussion injuries were unfortunate and I am glad to see that he has overcome them. His last full season was in New York in 2003 when he managed to play 81 games. Last season his troubles continued and he missed all but 33 games due to a wrist injury. Talk about bad luck.

I think that Lindros still has some hockey left in him. If he can stay healthy then I think he will be a great acquisition for the Stars. When Mats Sundin went down early last season, Lindros was the Leaf’s best player.

I guess to me he will always be the spoiled prima donna. For his sake I hope he can stay healthy and finish off his career in a respectable manner.

Have an opinion on George's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute articles on a regular basis drop us an email. admin@pickuphockey.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page