Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Pens deal Whitney to the Ducks Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  10:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/02/26/pens_tarde/

This Ultimatly tells me the Ducks are ready to move one of their two big d men before the deadline, probaly Prongner but with Whitney still under contract and a relativly cheap contract for what he brings to the table perhaps they'll deal Scotty because who know's if he will even play again next year and rebuild their blueline around Prongner and Whitney....

Pasty

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  10:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say this deal brings up a number of intereseting points

1) Sid's been complaining about a lack of a linemate for some time now. Obviously, Sykora and Malkin have clicked so Pitt needed another forward to hopefully click with Sid. It wasn't Satan or Fedotenko, so they went and got Kunitz. Not a bad choice.

2) Whitney was expendable win Gonchar back and healthly. Although it's kinda selling the future for the now. Little risky in my books.

3) This was a must make move for Anaheim. The supposidly brilliant Brian Burke set up the Ducks to have something like 16 UFA's this season. A couple are Beauchemin and Niedermayer. They needed a defensemen to build a core around. Whitney might be their guy. He's still young and has 4 years left on contract.

4) If I was a betting man, I would say that Anaheim will trade Pronger before Neidermayer. Reason being is that Pronger has a higher trade value as he is under contract for next year. Neidermayer is not and would be a rental player. The value of a rental player compared to a contract player is huge at the deadline. If a deal is made, it's Pronger leaving.

5) Most importantly, this trade is a true indication of the future of trades in the NHL. You will not see very many one sided deals, or deals for an established player for a ton of picks. Most deals will be equitable players in different positions. One team has a decent young defensemen but needs a decent young forward and vise versa.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9289
( )

Posted - 02/27/2009 :  10:29:13  Reply with Quote
I think this is a good deal for the Pens in that they went to get what they NEEDED in return for what they ALREADY HAVE. And this deal makes it even more interesting for the Pens because they also got a young prospect, which lets not forget, is only 2 points behind Tavares in the OHL as we speak. So this is a WIN WIN situation for pittsburgh. Yes Whitney is good, offensively that is, but for whatever reasons (health issues, etc) he wont be good enough to compensate for the loss of Kunitz and Tangradi, the future will tell.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page