Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 What is with the Penguins? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Pittsburg has been struggling for most of the year and now Crosby gets hurt and misses 3 games and Pittsburg wins all three games! Same thing happened last year when The Kid got hurt! My question is: Why the heck can't they play like this when Crosby is in the lineup???

Bozonator
Top Prospect

57 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  10:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For my two cents, when this happened last year and then Crosby came back they played even better. It's like Crosby needs to get injured for the team to wake up and start playing some hockey.I think the team has the mentality that he is the go to guy in a way. Like Malkin last year, once Crosby was injured he picked up the slack and started playing amazing, same thing now. But once Crosby got back he was still going and both were playing really well.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  11:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malkin has never stoped playing well since Crosby went down last year. He has been leading the leauge in points almost the entire year. I think maybe it makes the other players around the top 2 play better because they know they are going to have to for the team to succed.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  13:21:11  Reply with Quote
i think alot of the other players on the team rely on crosby and malkin to do to much, and when one of them is out the other players step up a little more, but also the last three games fluery has played great and kunitz has been playing well since joining the team
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  04:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is everyone so blind because Crosby is Canadian and Malkin is Russian? I have to think so, because the answer is obvious . . .

The players respond better to Malkin as the on-ice "leader".

There is no doubt that both players are amazing guys you want leading your team . . . but with two fine generals, you get one confused regiment. Now, we have a similar situation to last year, although it's much later in the season - Pens struggling, Crosby out of the line-up, overall play is elevated by everyone. And I mean the effort level, not just goals and assists.

Now in a lot of cases, as when the Leafs lost Sundin back in the day and picked it up, you can say everyone is putting in that extra effort and playing sounder defence without their offensive catalyst. But in this case, with the two superstars, I'd have to say it's chemistry.

It'll never happen perhaps, but the Penguins should deal one of them. They'd get a good return, you can be sure of that . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  08:41:46  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't that be crazy if the Pens kept Malkin and traded Crosby... where would he go and what would they get back?
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  11:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9838

Wouldn't that be crazy if the Pens kept Malkin and traded Crosby... where would he go and what would they get back?

That would be crazy. Mario will never let Crosby be traded. In fact, before the coaching change, their were talks of Malkin to Atlanta for Kovalchuk and another player. If Slozo is right, and they cant play for two great leaders, then this may have been a worthwhile trade. Crosby the setup man with Kovalchuk the finisher? Scary. Again, i dont think it will happen, but if your theory is right then maybe it is time to get rid of one of them.

Watching the Pitt vs Tampa game, wondering which team actually should be heading to the playoffs, or competing for a spot. Tampa completely outplayed the Penguins from the second period to the end of the game. Somehow the Penguins managed to win the game 3-1. If this is how "good" they are without Crosby, may god have mercy. This is the first game i have seen them play without Crosby, so im basing it on this one game. They were out played and out hustled by a team with no chance to make the playoffs. But i guess good teams find ways to win, and sometimes you have to win ugly. And that game was about as ugly as it gets.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.

Edited by - Thrasher on 03/03/2009 19:15:43
Go to Top of Page

Guest9289
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  06:28:19  Reply with Quote
Crosby being traded will never happen, at least not in the short term. For one, Mario will not let him go. For two, he is too valuable to the team and if you trade him, you might need to get another leader, which would not make sense since that would be the reason why they would trade him in the first place. I think any team would die to have Crosby and Malkin in their lineup, so why trade them? Yes pittsburgh are playing better without Crosby, but there are factors to consider. They changed coach, they traded (Kunitz is a great trade), the system has changed, fleury is playing better, and also, evey player is giving more to the team now that Crosby is injured but I can assure you that the penguins are a much better team with Crosby in the lineup..just because they are having success without him does not mean they are a better team..you have to look at all the factors involved. Its up to the players to continue playing this way even with Crosby in the lineup.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  06:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Penguins also began playing better right around the time they made their coaching change. For anyone to think that Pittsburg is a better team without Crosby in the line up is just ludicris.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  07:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ludicrous, yes. But not impossible!

I just wanted to add that a great player like Crosby would add to any team - but that doesn't mean he would automatically have great chemistry with his teammates and produce at his highest level.

I have always thought that either Malkin or Crosby should be dealt for a good core of supporting players, and now would be the best time to do it while both of their values are high. If Crosby starts getting injured more and more often, or if Malkin starts pulling a Kovalev, they will have missed their window and lost good value for their team.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page