Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The 2009 Cup Winner Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  04:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Very simple - who will win the Stanley Cup this year?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Detroit
San Jose
Boston
Washington
Pittsburgh
Vancouver
New Jersey
Chicago
Calgary
Carolina
Philadelphia
Columbus
St. Louis
Anaheim
NY Rangers

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  05:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
btw - no slight intended against Montreal (well, not a huge one, anyways) but they came last on my own personal odd on who will win the cup, and I only had 15 spaces. You can write-in if you want to vote for Montreal . . .

I voted Washington. Up until the middle of the season, I was thinking repeat by Detroit . . . but their goaltending has been shaky, and the defence is not what it once was. Plus, I feel both Detroit and San Jose are in for a very long series, they are matched up badly in the first round, and in general I see a beat-up team making it to the final from the western conference. In the east, it's real close for me between the top four teams . . . but I just have a feeling this is the year Ovechkin takes it to a whole new level in the playoffs, after he had a taste of it last year.

Washington is powered not just by the big guy, either - this year's Points Per Game leaders include 4 Washington players in the top 14: Ovechkin (1), Semin (6), defenceman Green (12), and Backstrom (14). And their goalie . . . well, Theodore and Johnson are adequate. The Caps will just plain outscore you in the end.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  08:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What it is with me and disagreeing with my moderating kin??? I could not disagree more with Washington. Reason being is this:

The statement that was made was that Detroit will not win because of shaky goaltending and a defense less than what it used to be. Well is that not exactly the same as Washington??? Washington is a one-dimensional team that is not even the best at their one dimension. Both Detroit and Boston are higher scoring teams.

That being said, I think the cream of the crop will rise to the top yet again. More often than not, the team that wins the Cup has only slightly above average scoring, solid goaltending, and more often than not, a brilliant checking line. (Think of Anaheim with Moen, Pahlsson, and Neidermayer or Detroit with Maltby, Cleary, and Draper).

Ultimately, I think San Jose is making noise this year. Their shortcomings in the past have been mostly in lacking Cup experience with their players and coaching. The current coach was with Detroit through a few Cups, and all of their additions this year (Blake, Boyle, Lemieux, and Moen) have won the Cup.

My pick is San Jose.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  09:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Learn from history guys.

Weren't we in the same position last year saying Detroit had goaltending issues? They've won two cups with 'goaltending issues.' If you think Tim Thomas is underrated, think about Chris Osgood. The only significant transaction the Wings have made this year is picking up Hossa and getting Conklin while losing Hasek. They're a better team offensively, have more experience, healthier (Holmstrom, Franzen...) Why doubt 'em? Not to mention that they've basically got a gift in the Columbus Blue Jackets. Does anyone really think these guys will give them more of a run than the Preds did last year?

The only team that is as deep as Detroit if you ask me is Boston but they just don't have fifteen or so guys on their roster that know what it takes to win. I think Boston is more likely to go down to teams like the Habs (unlikely but there seems to be a trend), Washington (didn't they lose the season series?) or Pittsburgh. Detroit can take the Jackets, they can take the Sharks, they can take the Canucks, they can definitely take the Flames or Hawks or Blues...

I just don't have that type of confidence in any other team. It all hinges on Osgoode but I think he's proven to be more than capable, so if I had to pick one team I'd pick them, with the obvious risk that if Osgoode somehow chokes they could make an early exit. Other than that they're cruising straight to the final

Edit This is really cool. Whatifsports.com ran a simulation of the playoffs 10 000 times to see who would win. They have Boston beating Chicago. For the record, they called Detroit and Pittsburgh in five games last year (went to six), the Phillies over the Rays, Steelers for the Superbowl, March Madness two years in a row... this is nuts. They only give the Red Wings a 1.3 percentage chance of winning. No chance to Montreal, Rangers or Columbus. I wonder how it works because this seems crazy! I'm holding on to my picks nonetheless but it is definitely neat to see. Oh, and they have no upsets scheduled for the first round.

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/

Edited by - Alex on 04/14/2009 12:31:21
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  09:06:22  Reply with Quote
If Osgood gets hot Detroit should win the cup. Osgood has done this in the past.

If Osgood keeps playing the way he is I would say Van with Luongo should win.

I would not bet on Mason or any of the other goalies that have not proven themselfs year after year. The playoffs usually comes down to vertern goaltending.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  10:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is Boston's year. They could've gone deep in my opinion last year, but they didn't get the feel of the playoffs untill game 5 of the series against the habs last season. This is the year they make a push for the cup though. With the addition of Ryder they continued to build up their scoring to the level of the elite teams in the league and they also brought in Recchi for some extra leadership. Their one two punch in net with Thomas and Fernandez could really benefit them. If one goalies falters they have another capable starter right behind him. Watch out, the bruins will win the cup.

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  10:37:46  Reply with Quote
I am not going to say they(boston) will not win the cup. I am positve they will not win the cup with fernandez in net. He has totally lost his confidence.
Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  12:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Washington cause I was left with them after I picked last in my pool when all the good Detroit, San Jose, Boston and New Jersey players were taken. I have convinced myself that Theodore will be more than adequate, the defense will tighten up and no team will be able to slow down the offense (which does not take as much faith as the first two things mentioned).

However, San Jose may finally put it together this year. Also, my darkhorse from about mid-season was Vancouver.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5898
( )

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  18:47:07  Reply with Quote
not detriot
Go to Top of Page

Guest4714
( )

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  21:42:38  Reply with Quote
The Vancouver Canucks have the best chance of winning this years stanley cup.The team has all it needs to be cup contenders. With Luongo's solid goaltending, the Sedin's crisp passing, the speed of Mason Raymond, the stick handeling by Mats Sundin, the amazing skill and hard work by Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows, the great slap shots of Sami Salo and Alex Edler, the sharp shooting by Steve Bernier and Rick Ripien. GO CANUCKS GO
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  01:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4714

The Vancouver Canucks have the best chance of winning this years stanley cup.The team has all it needs to be cup contenders. With Luongo's solid goaltending, the Sedin's crisp passing, the speed of Mason Raymond, the stick handeling by Mats Sundin, the amazing skill and hard work by Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows, the great slap shots of Sami Salo and Alex Edler, the sharp shooting by Steve Bernier and Rick Ripien. GO CANUCKS GO

This is my favorite post ever on Pick up Hockey!!!!

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  19:58:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sorry but NO way the canucks win it all..
They are just on an extended hot streak
Look who they have two brothers that have combined for like 14 goals in 80 playoff games.
An old washed up waste of money that they should have never wasted their time on...
A bunch of nobodies and a exceptional goalie
So you can count them out...... You cant only have one player to win

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  05:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also picked the Canucks to make the final, but it all rests on Luongo's shoulders. Although it has been said time and time again that it is all about the Sedins, I do feel that this year, finally, Vancouver is deep enough with players like Kesler, Sundin, Burrows, and Demitra.

They played a so-so game last night, and won. We'll see what they look like when they bring their A game . . .

Go to Top of Page

brattt81
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  10:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on my daughter's wishes, I had to go ahead with Chicago. After doing so, I found it quite interesting that the simulation has Chicago and Boston battling it out in the finals. That would be a great series to see!

I win, you lose!!
Go to Top of Page

forumer09
Top Prospect

16 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  18:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THE CANUCKS WILL GO ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kieph
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  08:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I would like to see the Nucks win. Detroit is gonna take the cup. Go Canucks!!!
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  08:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chicago, plain and simple.

Crosby is not the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.
Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4435
( )

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  17:42:04  Reply with Quote

Go Canucks Go!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page