Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Potential First Round Upset? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  07:43:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which first round matchup do you think has the best chance to end up as an upset? (The lower seed defeating the higher seed, I didnt include the 4 vs 5 matchups as they are too close to be considered an upset.)

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".

Choices:

Boston vs Montreal
Washington vs New York
New Jersey vs Carolina
San Jose vs Anaheim
Detroit vs Columbus
Vancouver vs St. Louis

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  08:50:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to say Columbus has the best shot at the upset. They have a hot goaltender and some decent scoring. It is going to be tough to shut down Detroit but Detroit also has very suspect goaltending.

The New Jersey Carolina series wont be a cake walk either. Carolina is playing really well right now especially on home ice. Broduer hasn't played especially well as of late and that could give Carolina the hope they need.

Last the Montreal vs. Boston series is going to be tight. I dont think the Canadians can pull it off but I know they'll make it tough on the Bruins. These two teams never disapoint.

Should be a fun first round to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  08:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is always 1 team that seems to surprise and go deeper than the 'experts' thought they would and I think It could be Columbus. THey are riding an emotional high in that city and with Mason in net anything can happen.

There are usually a couple surprise sweeps as well, I wonder if we will see any first round sweeps. If there are any, i think boston can sweep Montreal.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  09:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

There is always 1 team that seems to surprise and go deeper than the 'experts' thought they would and I think It could be Columbus. THey are riding an emotional high in that city and with Mason in net anything can happen.

There are usually a couple surprise sweeps as well, I wonder if we will see any first round sweeps. If there are any, i think boston can sweep Montreal.

i agree i firmly believe Columbus will pull a tampa bay Ray's this season,,,,, Rick Nash has shown he is clutch and a leader in tournoment situtations in many international games i wouldn't be surprised if he and mason put the team on their backs

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  11:02:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Rangers are going to surprise a lot of people. I think people forget that this team was at or near the top of the league for the first 3 months of the season. They had a horrible run through January until Tortorella came on board.

The Rangers had the leagues best PK in the regular season and were 6th best in goal against/game. If they can find any kind of offense, it will not be an easy time on Broadway.

That being said, I don't think Washington will be a walk over either. In their 4 meetings this year, Washington won 3. However, 2 of the games went to overtime and the total goal differential was +3 for Washington.

I think this series is a lot tighter than people think, and often a hot goalie will steal a series. Lundqvist has the skills to do just that.

New York is my sleeper pick this year.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  12:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definatley agree with beans they have a good goalie in Lundqvist, and Drury has been excellent in the playoffs.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  12:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As good as that all sounds beans, I don't think OV is going to be denied some post season success this year. Washington is going to the 2nd round at least, all on OV's back. He is just that good.

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  13:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think the Rangers are going to surprise a lot of people. I think people forget that this team was at or near the top of the league for the first 3 months of the season.

The same with Minnesota and look where they are.. i think Washington will Win it this year, Just a gut feeling... I think Ovechkin will pull off what Crosby couldn't... If Washington does win the Stanley Cup, that would be considered a surprise because no body would have expected Washington to make it that far
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  13:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think the Rangers are going to surprise a lot of people. I think people forget that this team was at or near the top of the league for the first 3 months of the season.

The same with Minnesota and look where they are.. i think Washington will Win it this year, Just a gut feeling... I think Ovechkin will pull off what Crosby couldn't... If Washington does win the Stanley Cup, that would be considered a surprise because no body would have expected Washington to make it that far

You must be talking about the Twins or the Vikings because the Wild were not anywhere near the top of the league all season. Maybe through the first couple of weeks, but since then they never led their own division let alone in the top even 10 in the league.

And I love Washington, they are (IMO) the most entertaining club in the NHL today. But entertaining doesn't win the Cup. Responsible defense, good goaltending, and solid special teams does. Washington is missing at least one of those three things. And outscoring teams in the regular season is far different than outscoring them in the Playoffs.

If (and to me it's a big if) Washington makes it to the 2nd round, they don't get further than that.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  07:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering how much of a handful Anaheim could be if they start playing anything like their former selves. For some reason, they just couldn't get on a roll of any sort this year, and I think they would formidable if it started in the playoffs.

They are as deep and talented as any other team and have some experience..

I'll take a flyer and call them the upset team, at least for the first round.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  11:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree with anybody who thinks Columbus can pull off an upset. Cup hangover? Detroit has a history of being the most dominant team in the post season. They have only grown as a group and the addition of Hossa will really push them over the top. I don't see Columbus winning more than 2 games in that series. Rick Nash has been good during tournament play, yes that is true. The NHL playoffs are a completely different thing though. During tournaments, you don;t see guys sacrificing their entire bodies, hitting as much as they can and going full out for the cup/medal.

Never mind Rick Nash, Steve Mason, who lets not forget has battled mono this year does not know what to expect either. He will face a flury of shots at the hands of the red wings. Fatigue will take over.

If anybody can pull off an upset, it's the Rangers. All they ahve to do is shut down 3 or 4 guys and get some traffic in front with plenty of shots. Theodore cannot steal a series. Gomez and Drury will ahve to step up though, they'll need some leadership from them two.

Go Preds Go!

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 04/15/2009 11:16:09
Go to Top of Page

Guest7844
( )

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  13:50:04  Reply with Quote
from 7752:

ST. LOUIS!!!

Vancouver needed someone to take them further than they usually do at playoff time.
They went to get Sundin with hopes of a miracle.
They will be proven wrong by him!

Go ahead, call me crazy all over again!
Just wait and see...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page