Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Burke's Comments on Leafs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  07:18:11  Reply with Quote
Mr. Burke, Mr. Tough-Guy, Mr. "save-our-leafs" made one of the most hilarious comments yesterday to the media.
He's said that the Leafs missing the playoffs is like a kick in the groin for everyone involved with the Leafs.
(including females involved/hired/etc...?)
(including the guys that sold me a few beers during the games?)

Where is this guy coming from?
Were the leafs ever in playoff contention over this season?
Did he think his big move for May would shoot them into the playoffs?
Everything going on that is not "positive" has been responded (by him) by saying something like "that was already there via previous management".
So, he's got every excuse in the book to say "it wasn't me".

Why don't you just finish (or actually) start rebuilding your team and carry on with your tasks at hand Mr. Burke.
Let's see you build this team and stop kicking yourself and your clan in the balls...

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  08:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off, I know your just trying to get all the leaf fans all wound up. You seem to enjoy that.

Burke is trying to establish a WINNING culture. He is letting everyone in the organization know that missing the playoffs is unacceptable and everyone must strive to be better. Whats wrong with that? Burke never said he expected the club to make the playoffs this year, nor do I beleive that HE beleived that they would. He was simply stating that under his watch, it will not be tolerated.

Burke is doing a good job, he hasn't even had a full season to rework the club but I think he is on the right track. By the time the 2010-2011 season rolls around the leafs should have a solid organization, both with the big club and on the marlies.

Going after the top college players is great, and I beleive he will be a big player in the next 2 UFA crops. The biggest concern is going to be scouting, they have to make the majority of their picks turn out to be something tangible.

Its all about establishing culture, which takes time. Rip on him all you want 7752, it will be the leafs turn to kick other teams in the balls soon enough.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  08:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a kick to the groin for the Islanders to miss the play offs. These guys are professionals and all have a certain amount of pride. If you think anyone involved in an NHL organisation wants to lose, enjoys losing or expects to lose you're out of your mind. Even when expectations aren't that high it still stings to lose. Every player goes on the ice expecting to win every game.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  10:15:20  Reply with Quote
First of all - thanks M_Roberts85 for alwways being on the first to respond and defend your mightly leafs...

If "we" all know that he's just saying this to get or make people in and out of his organization thinking that way, then don't you think his "people" know that too? So who does he think he's dealing with, children?
If I was one of his honestly-hard working players (Ian White for example) I'd go kick him back!
Some of the guys busted their balls on that team to end up where they are today, especially the likes of White playing forward, defence, (anywhere!) and then instead of praising the team, he kicks them in the balls. They just beat Philly for Pete's sake..., Heck of a leader.
I'm glad I'm a HABS fan.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  10:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im glad your a habs fan too.
Im not sure you understand the context of Burkes "kicked in the balls" statement. He wasn't kicking his own guys in the balls.... he said that missing the playoffs felt like a "kick in the balls" for himself.
Well, I guess I was wrong about one thing. He doesn't have to tell people in his organization that missing the playoffs is unacceptable, im sure everyone involved already knows. I guess he was letting the media and the fans know where he stands on the subject. Popular perception around Toronto seems to be that the team is going to rebuild slowly and that 1 or 2 more years out of the playoffs was a more than likley scenario. He has now altered the situation greatly by suggesting that he fully intends to have this club in the playoffs next season.

In no way did he discredit the hard work that guys have put in this year (like white) he simply stated that moving forward missing the playoffs is not an option.

Also, im well aware of the prediciment my "mighty" leafs are in, contrary to poular beleaf! leaf fans dont think that the team is very good.... well all know that they have sucked balls since the lockout. Nor do we expect Burke to turn us into a contending team in a years time. We are loyal to a fault, and continue to show support for the club despite its shortcomings. Unlike hab fans, who stopped going to the games when the Habs fell on hard times througout the 90s and early 2000's. and dont try to tell me that they didnt, cause I remember quite vividly that the hab fever had died down in montreal for a few seasons.

Good luck mighty habs against the isles, i hope our leafs spoil the party in montreal with ANOTHER big win in Montreal on Saturday.

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 04/02/2009 10:40:14
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  13:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will give in to you a little bit 7752,

as much as I would love to see the leafs make some changes and get into the playoffs, while still restocking the draft cupboard, I really really REALLY want to see a marqueee, franchise player join the team. Toronto has NEVER once in their history had the best player in the world at their peak play for them. When is a lemieux,crosby,OV,Messier,Gretz,Orr,Howe,Malkin type player going to come to town? The haters must be laughing right now and yelling at the computer "NEVER! You dirty leaf fans!"
and you may be right.

But that still doesnt mean you cant win a championship, I mean, the leafs do have 13 cup banners hanging at the ACC. Almost all of them were won with heart and soul, grinder type players. You had your Kennedys, Apps', Armstrongs and Keons - all of whom were great players in their own right, but were never the best in the league. Mahovolich was close, but there was someone named Gordie How and Jean Beliveau playing at the same time.

Maybe King Clancy was the best in the world when he played for the leafs....but my god, thats going wayyyy back. Ive started to ramble, lol. Time to go home, work sucks.

Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  14:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well put Matt! Also, it is interesting when you think about it how the Leafs have won 13 cups without a true icon. The Habs have been spoiled with icons of the sport: Roy, Beliveau, Lafleur just for starters, and of course the Rocket who is a Canadian folk hero.

As for the overly critical guest guy, I don't really understand the point of the post. Are you new to the whole sports press conference thing? The team just got eliminated from the playoffs, Burke got up there and put on a little song and dance about you play to win the game blablabla. Everyone has heard it all before. He is just trying create some buzz in the media, get on the front page of the sports page and remind everyone that his goal is to win and improve every year- and I sincerely believe him in that regard. Burke may be a blowhard, but it is good to have some pride when running a team.

The most interesting thing I thought Burke said was that he would not let contracts he inherited weight him down. Does that mean possible buy-outs in the future? I don't know who he would buy out, life would be easier without Jason Blake but he is playing quite well, if Burke is honestly thinking playoffs next year (which may be a longshot) they might need him.

What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

Guest0809
( )

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  17:11:16  Reply with Quote
From 7752:

Mr. goleafs...

I'm sure no one here is new to press conferences.
However, how stupid did Burke think everyone listening was?
He's a new GM in a Hockey-crazed town, where everyone knows what needs to be done for the next couple of years in order to win.
Why would he think that saying something like that will get things stirring, or get his non-performers on the team "worried" about their jobs? The town (and coach, and team!!)knows what needs to be done with this team, they know the performers, they know the non-performers.
This is the third best hockey town in Canada after all!! (Montreal is first, Edmonton is second, by the way).
This town is NOT Anaheim!!!
No need to show them how serious you can be Mr. Burke, no need for that act.
Stand up at the conference and pat the coach on the back for finishing way over where everyone said they would. Say well done to your young players, give thanks to the fans, etc... and tell them you'll continue to work on building this team.
Say something a little more positive or professional - no need to scare everyone or kick yourself in the balls.
For example, Gainey showed a lot more class when continuously asked why the team was playing so bad and why fire your best friend, etc... His responses (at press-conferences) had no threatening messages, only clear cut analysis of the situation. And suddenly, a couple of weeks later, after positive "actions" on his part - the Habs are WINNING..... wait till you see how bad they'll beat the NYI with Halak tonight!!!!!
Mr. Burke - go back to towns that don't know hockey - stop under-estimating Leaf fans hockey knowledge.

Actions speak in Leaf territory, not typical cliches.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  06:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think your making a mountain out of a mowhill...Gainey could very well be fired if he screws this summer up, I dont think that was a very good example.

Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  06:53:41  Reply with Quote
why... Burke won't?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  09:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burke hasn't underestimated any Leafs fans: he knows that although our team has sucked, we (as a city, not me personally) continue to pack the stands. Torontonians are suckers for a losing/middling team, and this has become a pervasive mentality.

For starters, he told the truth - it sucks every time not to make the playoffs, no matter what the expectations are, and no matter how bad your team is on paper. That shows that as a professional in the sports management business, his head is in the right place.

Secondly, Torontonians NEED to hear that kind of stuff. They need to know that from a management perspective, constantly missing the playoffs is not an acceptable option. They need to hear that a guy with a serious winning attitude is in charge.

And thirdly - this comment earned my respect. Burke is creating pressure for himself with comments like this and others, and that is a powerful motivator when you draw the line in the sand seperating success and failure. He is holding himself accountable to the public, and kudos to him for that.

I was lukewarm on Burke and Wilson before they arrived . . . but I am warming up more and more to them as the kind of character guys needed to pull us out of the ditch.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

MrD
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  09:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you meant "mountain out of a molehill" - or at least that's the common expression. But I agree with your argument here. I am a Sens fan (so I guess it's a bit tough for me to commend a Leaf), and have never agreed with anything Burke has done (ie. letting guys play half-seasons, comments about other GMs snagging his players legally etc. but that's not the thread here so I don't want to debate these issues).

His comments though the other day, at least to me, simply show that he is going to be passionate and take to heart the performance of his club (which seems to me has been lacking in the front office of the Leafs). It's also a lot about accountability I find, which is strongly needed. I personally enjoy a GM (or coach for that matter) that says it like it is and is not afraid to bring attention to himself (whether positive or negative) as long as he is stating how he truly feels. It shoud feel like a kick in the stones when your team misses the playoffs (as I am feeling this year) regardless of whether you were ever truly in contention; and I don't see anything wrong with him stating this.

But you are quite right here - bit of a mountain out of a molehill concerning a GM's personal opinion.

Milbury and McGuire should fight to the death and both lose.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  10:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, molehill? i swear it was mowhill, meh, thanks for clearing that up for me haha

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  15:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a Leafs fan I am happy with what Burke said.... Burke knows what he is talking about.. Not making it to the Playoffs is a kick in the balls.. Burke and Wilson are winners, as a coach or GM you can't win if you don't speak out. He didn't say it to scare the Leafs he said it to motivate the team to step it up.. What Burke said should have been said 4 years ago. The Leafs fans are the most loyal fans in the game, that being said the fans are there for the Leafs through good and bad, any other team in the NHL if the team is playing like s*** the fans don't show. Burke thinks they owe it to the Leafs fans to have a Winning Team and I believe with what he said he will stick by it, and he will deliver

Great Job Burke, keep it up

Brian Burke the Toronto Maple Leafs best General Manager since the 60's... I believe Brian Burke and Ron Wilson will be the next GM and coach to help bring the Cup back to Toronto where it belongs with in the next couple years
Go to Top of Page

Hustler90
Top Prospect

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  15:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow this 7752 guy rips up Burke and then says hes a HABS fan, his GM has so much cap space and they don't do jack s*** in the off-season. Wooo look at me I'm Bob Gainey, were gonna do so good in our 100th year, im gonna make all these moves. He did nothing relevant. He's a joke. Bob Gainey dreams of having Lecavalier...haha i'd love to see it happen.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0809
( )

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  16:08:03  Reply with Quote
7752:
First -
Burke = Best Leaf GM since 60's ????
What has he done to merit such a title ??
HAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Second -
What did Gainey do?? All that Cap space and no moves ??
By the way, where are the HABS today, and where are the LEAFS today??
And YOU question Gainey while praising Burke!?!?!??!?!?!
HAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!

NO WONDER LEAFS FANS ARE SO FERAKIN' STUPID !!!!!!!

What the heck is going on your your heads???
Go to Top of Page

Guest9109
( )

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  17:07:22  Reply with Quote
k but the anaheim ducks would kill the habs 9 games outta 10... oh
yeah, isnt that the team burke built...
Go to Top of Page

Guest0809
( )

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  17:34:31  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9109

k but the anaheim ducks would kill the habs 9 games outta 10... oh
yeah, isnt that the team burke built...

Operative word in your comment is "would".
Which happens to be an opinion of yours.

In that case - I can, in a more certain way then you, say the Leafs DID beat the Habs all season, but where are Burke's Leafs "now" compared to Gainey's Habs?

Speaking of the Ducks, seems to me that they are in a playoff position, which is better than where Burke left them when he said godd-bye.
What else has Burke "built" for you guys to assume he is mightier than Gainey?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9109
( )

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  03:39:39  Reply with Quote
and the ring on his finger. gay-ney hasnt won anything as a gm
Go to Top of Page

Guest7176
( )

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:14:30  Reply with Quote
quote:

neither has burke since he became Toronto GM...?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9233
( )

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:37:52  Reply with Quote
GO CANUCKS GO
GO CANUCKS GO
GO CANUCKS GO

Who cares about the leafs or the HABS.

Canada has a new sheriff in town.

GO CANUCKS GO.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6362
( )

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  13:04:50  Reply with Quote
7752, this topic is funny to read listining to what you are going to say next. First off, your trying to say the leafs are doing worse than the habs.. REALLY, didn't know i could read the standings. You must forget that the leafs are rebuiling this year and your mighty habs were supposed top be HUGE playoff contendors, well i guess that isn't going to pan out. What has Burke done this year? seriously? he has brought in a bunch of young talent, draft picks (finally), give them 2 years and it will hopefully work out. Wait until this summer when he can put his 19 mil to work. Bring in Matt Gilroy (hopefully) and they get the hat trick. What has Gainey done, haha NOTHING. What do you expect Burke to say, it alright boys well get it next year. Of course he wants to get the message across that not making the playoffs will not be tolerated Should be fun watching the leafs beat the habs again tonight though
Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  13:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0809

From 7752:

Mr. goleafs...

He's a new GM in a Hockey-crazed town, where everyone knows what needs to be done for the next couple of years in order to win.
Why would he think that saying something like that will get things stirring, or get his non-performers on the team "worried" about their jobs? The town (and coach, and team!!)knows what needs to be done with this team, they know the performers, they know the non-performers.
This is the third best hockey town in Canada after all!! (Montreal is first, Edmonton is second, by the way).
Stand up at the conference and pat the coach on the back for finishing way over where everyone said they would. Say well done to your young players, give thanks to the fans, etc... and tell them you'll continue to work on building this team.
Say something a little more positive or professional - no need to scare everyone or kick yourself in the balls.
For example, Gainey showed a lot more class when continuously asked why the team was playing so bad and why fire your best friend, etc... His responses (at press-conferences) had no threatening messages, only clear cut analysis of the situation. And suddenly, a couple of weeks later, after positive "actions" on his part - the Habs are WINNING..... wait till you see how bad they'll beat the NYI with Halak tonight!!!!!
Mr. Burke - go back to towns that don't know hockey - stop under-estimating Leaf fans hockey knowledge.

Haha I also think you may be giving the average Leaf fan, the same fan that has been spoiled with such stellar management the past few decades, a bit too much credit.

I personally like the statement he made. He made it in his own boisterous sort of way, but it was the right message to send to the media, the fans, and the organization. Would Gainey have done it differently? Probably. I'm gonna stay out of this whole Burke vs Gainey arguement cause it is kind of useless at this point. Neither has taken a team and built a Stanley Cup winner. However, Burke has proven he is able to put a Stanley Cup winner together with a foundation in place, so he gets major points for that.

I'm willing to submit that they are on equal playing field in this arguement, but if anyone seriously wants to say Gainey is clearly a better GM than Burke, you might want to check the score: Burke 1, Gainey 0
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  16:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goleafsgosjnb

quote:

From 7752:

Mr. goleafs...

Haha I also think you may be giving the average Leaf fan, the same fan that has been spoiled with such stellar management the past few decades, a bit too much credit.

I personally like the statement he made. He made it in his own boisterous sort of way, but it was the right message to send to the media, the fans, and the organization. Would Gainey have done it differently? Probably. I'm gonna stay out of this whole Burke vs Gainey arguement cause it is kind of useless at this point. Neither has taken a team and built a Stanley Cup winner. However, Burke has proven he is able to put a Stanley Cup winner together with a foundation in place, so he gets major points for that.

I'm willing to submit that they are on equal playing field in this arguement, but if anyone seriously wants to say Gainey is clearly a better GM than Burke, you might want to check the score: Burke 1, Gainey 0

I'll debate this if you want? you can go first though kinda wanna research what he did to Van and what he actually did in Ana

New Thread Per Chance?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9109
( )

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  09:03:21  Reply with Quote
k ur an idiot 7176 burke has been gm in toronto since like january, unless hes some kind of a magician im not sure he's had all the much of a chance to change anything
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  09:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like I said off the top, this guy is just trying to piss off leaf fans. and it seems to be working lol. Don't worry boys, we all know that the leafs are in good shape moving forward. The Quinn/Ferguson days are over, Burke has set the foundation for years to come.

We will see what Gainey is made of this summer when half of the team decides to leave town. Kovalev? Koivu? Lang? Tanguay? Komisarek? These are just a few of the guys Gainey has to either re-sign or let walk. That will be a big test.

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  09:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7176

quote:

neither has burke since he became Toronto GM...?

its his first season as a GM for Toronto it wasn't even a full season... Burke and Wilson will build The Leafs into a great team... Its up to the GM to get the players Which Burke has started doing already, its up to him to get rid of Toronto's true problem Mr. Lack Performance himself I wont say his name everyone knows who I'm talking about. It's up to the coaches to coach, But it's ultimately up to the players and goaltenders to perform. The Leafs did a great job this year, again they were robbed of a chance to make the playoffs because of Mr. Lack of Performance... Fletcher/Burke and Wilson have done there jobs and they did a great job.. Next year will be a better season. For us true Leafs fans lets just hope they get rid of the 4 Million salary Lack of Performance king so the Leafs can finally have a shot at making it somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9109
( )

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  15:15:21  Reply with Quote
lol well put hanley, they are going in the right direction. matt good on ya buddy!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  15:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to somewhat agree with Hanley on this one. Ultimately, the team that is on the ice at the ACC each week was not built by Burke. His impacts have been fairly insignificant to this point and I can't blame him. Ultimately, the team today is very similar to the one last year with the exception of Sundin and McCabe, so how can you expect a team that missed the playoffs with those two players to make the playoffs the following year without them.

I think Ron Wilson has done an admirable job in making TO as competative as they have been.

The concern that I would have as a Leafs Fan is Burke's track record. Sure, he won a Cup with the Ducks, but many (including myself) have argued that the team that won the Cup was built mostly by Brian Murray. Burke added a few pieces, but was not the solely responsible. However, take a look at the Ducks now?? A team that Burke was definately more involved with are fighting for the playoffs. Above this, they have all but one of their defensemen and most of their forwards as UFA's at the end of this year. Look at Vancouver. Up until this year, they were not a contender and were left in that state by Burke.

Ultimately, I don't think Burke is as good a GM as the media makes him out to be. Above that, TO really doesn't have any marketable assests to aide in a re-build. They have to hope to draft and be effective in the free agent market. Both of which are risks.

I just don't envy the Leafs fans today because I don't see any sunshine on the horizon.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  18:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The concern that I would have as a Leafs Fan is Burke's track record. Sure, he won a Cup with the Ducks, but many (including myself) have argued that the team that won the Cup was built mostly by Brian Murray. Burke added a few pieces, but was not the solely responsible. However, take a look at the Ducks now?? A team that Burke was definately more involved with are fighting for the playoffs. Above this, they have all but one of their defensemen and most of their forwards as UFA's at the end of this year. Look at Vancouver. Up until this year, they were not a contender and were left in that state by Burke.

Ultimately, I don't think Burke is as good a GM as the media makes him out to be. Above that, TO really doesn't have any marketable assests to aide in a re-build. They have to hope to draft and be effective in the free agent market. Both of which are risks.

I just don't envy the Leafs fans today because I don't see any sunshine on the horizon.

Very well put, Mr. Beans. Burke seems to come in to a team, make them a little tougher, but leaves them a mess. He tends to allow things to dismantle before its his time to disappear.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  06:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sure Burke can see the things hes done right, and things hes done wrong in the past. Id imagine he'll learn (at least a little bit) from his mistakes.

Brian isnt the best GM in the NHL, but I still think he is a pretty darn good one.

Don't forget he got Fedorov out of anaheim, brought selanne in, signed Perry and Getzlaf to long term deals and drafted Bobby Ryan.

In vancouver he took over a team that missed the playoffs 3 years in a row with Messier as their captain. Within 2 years they were a 100 point team who were considered an elite team in the NHL (yes, they underacheived, but some of that falls on the coaches and players). The Bertuzzi-Naslund-Morrison line was one of the best in hockey, all he needed to do was upgrade Cloutier, but was gassed before he could.

Dave Nonis took over from Burke and he is really the one responsible for the canucks team you see today really. He traded for luongo and refused to trade guys like kesler,burrows and raymond at the trade deadline for Brad Richards, and got fired for it. I bet Gilles is happy that Nonis didnt mortgage the future.

Now Dave Nonis is working for the leafs as well. We all know Burke has his shortcomings, but he also has alot of strengths and is surrounded by an awesome team of execs. Between Burke, Nonis, Fletch and Joe Nieuwendyk I finally feel comfortable with the leafs managment team.

A recent news report in toronto stated that Nieuwendyk was a major factor in the signings of Hanson and Bozak. Ill paraphrase a burke quote; "when they look at me they see a GM, when they look at Joe they see a Stanley CUp champion".

I love it, teamwork baby

Go to Top of Page

MrD
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  09:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Beans, although I personaly dislike Burke for reasons I alluded to earlier. The media seems to love the guy. I cite as an example THN's annual GM ranking. Last year, it's 2nd annual edition ranked Burke as #1, and this year they have him at # 7. Here are some stats for you 'cause I know you love 'em (as of the end of March):
Career: 412-334-141 (.544)
Cup Wins: 1
Playoffs: 7-6 series record

To me, these don't truly reflect his success (or failure, depending on how you see it) because he tends as you mentioned to leave teams in the tough. To quote THN's write-up:
"He's unafraid to make high-risk moves and does them decisively, which can be both a blessing and a curse for the teams he manages. The Anaheim Ducks have paid dearly for Scott Niedermayer's dithering and a team that won a Stanley Cup just two years ago has floundered since and is on the playoff bubble. Burke's entire body of work, though, is still very impressive."

Again it sounds to me like the writers really love the guy and had a hard time putting him lower in the rankings (or possibly had a hard time justifying his 7th place even though they would have loved to put him higher). Either way, I think it's too early to have any valid opinion as to what he's done or will do with T.O. I still love his comment though; lots of respect here for a GM that will favour the off-the-cuff over the cookie cutter comment.

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  21:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrD

I agree Beans, although I personaly dislike Burke for reasons I alluded to earlier. The media seems to love the guy. I cite as an example THN's annual GM ranking. Last year, it's 2nd annual edition ranked Burke as #1, and this year they have him at # 7. Here are some stats for you 'cause I know you love 'em (as of the end of March):
Career: 412-334-141 (.544)
Cup Wins: 1
Playoffs: 7-6 series record

To me, these don't truly reflect his success (or failure, depending on how you see it) because he tends as you mentioned to leave teams in the tough. To quote THN's write-up:
"He's unafraid to make high-risk moves and does them decisively, which can be both a blessing and a curse for the teams he manages. The Anaheim Ducks have paid dearly for Scott Niedermayer's dithering and a team that won a Stanley Cup just two years ago has floundered since and is on the playoff bubble. Burke's entire body of work, though, is still very impressive."

Again it sounds to me like the writers really love the guy and had a hard time putting him lower in the rankings (or possibly had a hard time justifying his 7th place even though they would have loved to put him higher). Either way, I think it's too early to have any valid opinion as to what he's done or will do with T.O. I still love his comment though; lots of respect here for a GM that will favour the off-the-cuff over the cookie cutter comment.

where did you find these stats? and keep in mind that Burke didn't start the season as Toronto's GM
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2009 :  23:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burke's GM Career has been a lot more more successful than you said

GM of Hartford Whalers
1992-93: 26 Wins 52 Losses and 6 Ties, Total 58 Points
-Drafted Chris Pronger

GM of Vancouver
1998-99: 22 Wins 47 Losses and 12 Ties, Total 56 Points
1999-00: 30 Wins 29 Losses and 15 Ties, Total 75 Points
2000-01: 36 Wins 28 Losses and 11 Ties, Total 83 Points
2001-02: 42 Wins 30 Losses and 7 Ties, Total 91 Points
2002-03: 45 Wins 23 Losses and 13 Ties, Total 103 Points
2003-04: 43 Wins 24 Losses and 10 Ties, Total 96 Points
Northeast Division Title

GM of Anaheim
2005-06: 43 Wins 27 Losses and 12 Overtime Losses, Total 98 Points
2006-07: 48 Wins 20 Losses and 14 Overtime Losses, Total 110 Points
Pacific Division Title, Stanley Cup Champions
2007-08: 47 Wins 27 Losses and 8 Overtime Losses, Total 102 Points
2008-09: 9 Wins 7 Losses and 1 Overtime Loss, Total 19 Points. He left Anaheim on November 12th my birthday

GM of Toronto (became GM of the Leafs November 29 2008)
2008-09... 27 Wins 26 Losses and 7 Overtime Losses, Total 61 Points

Total NHL GM STATS so far: 418 Wins, 340 Losses, 74 Ties, and 42 Overtime Losses...

my bad on the wins total I posted, bad count, fixed now

Edited by - hanley6 on 04/12/2009 17:47:14
Go to Top of Page

Guest7176
( )

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  04:16:08  Reply with Quote
7752:
These stats that toronto fans spit out are exectly why the leafs, their management and their fans will NEVER get anywhere.
You guys always go after the resources with the best stats... you never go look for what you need and go find and get it, or you never develope anyone that has any potential. The resource with the best stats does not always mean that he/she will be the best fit into your TEAM. When are you guys going to learn...
Burke "may" have been ok everywhere else... but that does not necessarily mean he's what your team needs to make it a winner.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  05:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry, we're not planning the parade route . . .
. . . yet.

btw guest 7176: The fans don't choose GMs. We are merely homers who want the best for our team, and in general most Leaf fans like the direction Burke is taking so far and like what he has to say.

Trust me, these opinion can change in a second, depending on his actions during this summer and onward. He hasn't done much yet, but he hasn't had a chance to, so we can only go by what he has said and done so far.

So far, so good.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4597
( )

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  05:46:55  Reply with Quote
For people like guest 7752:
How can you sit there and honestly bash the Leafs and Burke? He hasnt even managed a full season as a Maple Leafs GM and your questioning why he hasnt won a cup with them? Your beloved HABS are on the bubble of missing the playoffs and you have the parts to chap another team. Lets get real here, Burke has been brought in to give the team a much needed facelift and so far (to me) has done the best he can with the pieces he was givin to play with. And now for Gainey....lets fire our coach to save my own ass....lets not move anybody to improve for my CENTENNIAL season....lets bring in an old guy like Robert Lang or hell why not even get Mathieu Schneider...Gainey is turning his franchise into what the leafs are currently pulling themselves out of.

Put it this way, as of today, I would much rather be a LEAFS fan then a HABS fan because at least our season is going accoring to plan, not falling off the map and choking close to the end of the season under the pressure of my Centennial Season!
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  07:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't agree more.

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  08:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all my old "Pickup Hockey" people, both friends and foes of our Mighty Maples. A great many things have passed since I last took part in this hockey forum, some good and some bad. The good would have to be the arrival of Burke as the GM and the second, Ron Wilson as the new head coach. The Leafs seem to have finally got the cart on the right track at least, and just might be heading in the right direction. The bad for me personally was the departure of my main man Antropov to the Rangers earlier this season. I know it was a good move for the club moving forward but personally it left behind a real stinger in the butt for me. As of today I can only take solace in the fact that the Maples had a hand in possbibly lowering the expectations of all the Hab fans out there with those two beauty hits in the their last encounter. Anyway, our future looks so bright I am out to purchase new shades........Antroman.
Go to Top of Page

MrD
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  09:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

where did you find these stats? and keep in mind that Burke didn't start the season as Toronto's GM
[/quote]

These are the stats listed in THN (The Hockey News if you're not sure) in their 3rd annual GM ranking which you can find in this year's March 30th issue. I fully trust them to be honest and accurate (as do most professionals in the hockey industry) although I do find it interesting that your stats differ significantly. Where are your stats from, and what in your opinion is the reason for the discrepancy (and please don't just state that yours are right and The Hockey News are liars)? And I'm not exactly sure what "[keeping] in mind that Burke didn't start the season as Toronto's GM" has to do with anything I wrote or the stats listed by THN; I'm fairly positive that their writers and statisticians are well aware of that.

And for the record I am not at all bashing Burke's performance with the Leafs. As I stated earlier, he hasn't even completed a full season there yet so it is pretty difficult to assess what he has or hasn't done.

Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  12:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

quote:
Originally posted by goleafsgosjnb

quote:

From 7752:

Mr. goleafs...

I'll debate this if you want? you can go first though kinda wanna research what he did to Van and what he actually did in Ana

New Thread Per Chance?

Haha my point was I did not want to debate this. Gainey is still a fairly new GM and despite some questionable moves, so far so good. He has some players to build around and a lot of big decisions to make in the offseason. This will be a real test for him. As for Burke, he has managed some good teams, but this is his chance to build one from the ground up. I can't wait to see how it turns out, I am optimistic so far.
Some guest said something interesting about signing players with the best stats. All I could think of was how I felt when they signed Jason Blake lol. Don't get me wrong, good player, but too old and no upside for the deal he got for so long. For now though it is irrelevant. New management, new era.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page