Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Burke's Comments on Leafs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest6690
( )

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  12:56:32  Reply with Quote
All of you who are saying Aneheim is the team burke built I'm pretty sure Murray mostly built that team
Go to Top of Page

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  14:03:14  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Burke's GM Career has been a lot more more successful than you said

GM of Hartford Whalers
1992-93: 26 Wins 52 Losses and 6 Ties, Total 58 Points
-Drafted Chris Pronger

GM of Vancouver
1998-99: 22 Wins 47 Losses and 12 Ties, Total 56 Points
1999-00: 30 Wins 29 Losses and 15 Ties, Total 75 Points
2000-01: 36 Wins 28 Losses and 11 Ties, Total 83 Points
2001-02: 42 Wins 30 Losses and 7 Ties, Total 91 Points
2002-03: 45 Wins 23 Losses and 13 Ties, Total 103 Points
2003-04: 43 Wins 24 Losses and 10 Ties, Total 96 Points
Northeast Division Title

GM of Anaheim
2005-06: 43 Wins 27 Losses and 12 Overtime Losses, Total 98 Points
2006-07: 48 Wins 20 Losses and 14 Overtime Losses, Total 110 Points
Pacific Division Title, Stanley Cup Champions
2007-08: 47 Wins 27 Losses and 8 Overtime Losses, Total 102 Points
2008-09: 9 Wins 7 Losses and 1 Overtime Loss, Total 19 Points. He left Anaheim on November 12th my birthday

GM of Toronto (became GM of the Leafs November 29 2008)
2008-09 including April 7ths game against New Jersey... 26 Wins 25 Losses and 7 Overtime Losses, Total 59 Points

Total NHL GM STATS so far: 417 Wins, 339 Losses, 74 Ties, and 42 Overtime Losses...

my bad on the wins total I posted, bad count, fixed now

I thought overtime losses were still losses?
Go to Top of Page

MrD
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  21:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hanley,
That's a little closer now, no worries 'bout the miscount. The slight difference in wins # is due to the print lag. It is printed in the March 30th edition so give or take a week or so, the Leafs pushed out a few more Ws, however I still find a .544 record for a GM that is highly touted by the media to be a little less than impressive. Again, my personal disdain for Burke comes into play here. I can succomb to admit that Burke has done some admirable things though. Drafting Pronger - not a bad call (although I have beef with Pronger in a club jersey but not a team Canada jersey). I like the attitude he takes toward his teams as well as towards the media; no holds barred. Build a gritty team and bear the brunt of the consequences whether positive or negative. He can surprise, or shock and awe if you will (signing May, winning the "college sweepstakes" this past week) and can ruffle feathers with his blunt media work (ie. the topic of this thread). Still dislike the guy and his antics (ask me in another stream). Let's wait and see what he does in the off season and throughout the next 2 or 3 years. Then we can debate his performance with the Leafs. Until then I stand by my beliefs, as will you I imagine. I just think that the past several years the Leafs have performed so badly (under both previous GMs and coaches) that any new face in management will look like a saviour. Must have been a nice Bday present to find out the Jesus of GMs was coming to T.O though.

Milbury and McGuire should fight to the death and both lose.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  09:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that there is some definate truth in the stats when Burke is a GM, but I would be very interested to see the stats on teams after Burke left.

I think he is one of the best "short term" arcitects in the game. Withouth question. However, look at the performance of the teams once he left. Vancouver was a maginal team until this year and Anaheim has slide significantly with basically a re-build starting this summer.

Burke might be able to build a team in TO, but he can not (through his track record) build a dynasty type team. Look at teams such as Dallas, New Jersey, Detroit, and Colorado from 1995 through 2005. Those 4 teams were always contenders. Burke doesn't have the skills to do that.

And I have a hard time giving credit to GM's for gift wrapped decisions. And moron would have drafted Pronger(except who ever drafted Daigle in front of him in 93). Same with the Sedins(except for the Moron who drafted Stefan before them). Also, Neidermayer signing in Anaheim was a gift in that he already was going to Anaheim because he wanted to play with his brother. And the Pronger trade from Edmonton was also a gift. Not saying any other GM's don't get their share of gift's, but does anyone give credit to the GM in Pitt for drafting Crosby?? Nope. Some GM's decisions are no brainers.
Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  14:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think that there is some definate truth in the stats when Burke is a GM, but I would be very interested to see the stats on teams after Burke left.

I think he is one of the best "short term" arcitects in the game. Withouth question. However, look at the performance of the teams once he left. Vancouver was a maginal team until this year and Anaheim has slide significantly with basically a re-build starting this summer.

Burke might be able to build a team in TO, but he can not (through his track record) build a dynasty type team. Look at teams such as Dallas, New Jersey, Detroit, and Colorado from 1995 through 2005. Those 4 teams were always contenders. Burke doesn't have the skills to do that.

And I have a hard time giving credit to GM's for gift wrapped decisions. And moron would have drafted Pronger(except who ever drafted Daigle in front of him in 93). Same with the Sedins(except for the Moron who drafted Stefan before them). Also, Neidermayer signing in Anaheim was a gift in that he already was going to Anaheim because he wanted to play with his brother. And the Pronger trade from Edmonton was also a gift. Not saying any other GM's don't get their share of gift's, but does anyone give credit to the GM in Pitt for drafting Crosby?? Nope. Some GM's decisions are no brainers.

I definitely agree with the idea of good moves falling into Burke's lap, but I give full credit for the Sedins. Did he not have to trade up to get one of them? Other GMs may not have put the work and risk into making that deal, but he did with the forsight that the Sedins would continue to excel together in the NHL. Full marks for Burke in this case, you can't take credit away from him here.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  15:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goleafsgosjnb

quote:

I definitely agree with the idea of good moves falling into Burke's lap, but I give full credit for the Sedins. Did he not have to trade up to get one of them? Other GMs may not have put the work and risk into making that deal, but he did with the forsight that the Sedins would continue to excel together in the NHL. Full marks for Burke in this case, you can't take credit away from him here.

Ya, I would kind of give credit for the trades to get the back to back draft picks. But who he picked was a no brainer. Take a look at the list of 1st round draft picks from 1999 and you will see it was weak to say the least. Other than maybe Havlat and maybe Boynton there is no one else in the 1st round at all. I don't think many of those player even made the show.

However, I still think people are missing my point. Burke is very good short term, but his track record shows that he can not build a team that is competative long term. He also seems to know when to leave a team so he looks going going out the door and the next guy looks like a goat.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  18:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by goleafsgosjnb

quote:

Ya, I would kind of give credit for the trades to get the back to back draft picks. But who he picked was a no brainer. Take a look at the list of 1st round draft picks from 1999 and you will see it was weak to say the least. Other than maybe Havlat and maybe Boynton there is no one else in the 1st round at all. I don't think many of those player even made the show.

However, I still think people are missing my point. Burke is very good short term, but his track record shows that he can not build a team that is competative long term. He also seems to know when to leave a team so he looks going going out the door and the next guy looks like a goat.

there were lots of good hockey players that should have been picked anywhere in the 1st round, that have done well in the NHL.

the Sedins, Tim Connelly (if he wasn't so injury prone he'd be great), Mike Comrie (Edmonton 3rd round) , Ryan Malone(Pittsburgh 4th round), Martin Erat (Nashville 7th round), Henrik Zetterberg (Detroit 7th round), Radim Vrbata (Colorodo 7th round)

Edited by - hanley6 on 04/12/2009 18:11:03
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  05:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1999 Draft - From Wiki: According to Sports Illustrated and other sports news agencies, at the time the 1999 draft was considered one of the deepest in talent in years, headed by Patrik Stefan and the Sedin twins. However, the overall productivity and impact in the NHL has proved considerably lower compared to neighbouring drafts[citation needed]. One of the draft's best players, Detroit's Henrik Zetterberg, was selected in the seventh round

So - at the time, it WAS considered a deep draft. We all know now, of course, that Patrick Stefan was one of those rare #1 busts, but what can you do?

So, knowing that this draft was considered deep, and knowing that it actually turned out to have quite a few busts, and knowing that Burke picked very solidly . . . doesn't that make him look smarter, and more skillful?

I mean, in the end, I don't put as much stock into draft picking records, because it's really hit and miss, and I think sometimes one just gets plain lucky. But in this case, I remember, he took a bit of a flyer on the twins (how it was viewed at the time), and it paid off.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  06:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to chip in so late guys but I wanted to throw my two cents in on Burke's comments.

Number one, it was a drama. More than anything it was a chance for Burke to get some more spotlight. Phrases like ''kick in the groin'' were provocative and specifically chosen and rehearsed in order to get attention and spark discussion.

I do think that the culture of winning is important, but I definitely don't think the whole rah-rah attitude is the way to go about it. Look at Detroit - has there ever been a cocky guy in that organization, or someone that went after the limelight? I don't think I've ever heard Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Babcock or Holland speak to a camera except during times like the All-Star game or after winning the cup. Even Stevie Yzerman back in the day wasn't a big talker, but a dig doer. Same concept is followed in New Jersey and Boston.

No one expected Toronto to make the post-season, and it started from Brian Burke coming out and saying that at his press conference a few months ago. Saying he's ''disappointed'' in general or that losing can't be an option would be one thing, but Brian made it seem like he had pinned his hopes on winning a cup and then the team didn't make the playoffs. Calm yourself down man and do your job.

Edited by - Alex on 04/13/2009 06:01:24
Go to Top of Page

Guest9817
( )

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  09:22:17  Reply with Quote
Put simply, Guest7752 is an idiot.

End of story.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  11:51:57  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9817

Put simply, Guest7752 is an idiot.

End of story.

Thanks for your inputs, 9817 - glad you've made a contribution on the topic and decided to end the story.

Anyway, to keep the story going...
Alex, nice comments, however, if you think this was all a show, don't you think everyone else thinks its a show?
So what's he trying to prove?
Is he already justifying his job?
Look at his more recent comments on doing everything in his power to get top picks from Tampa or NYI...
Wow... what a smart GM?!!?!
What does he think the other GM's are doing?
Does he think they are sitting there watching him?
What's he going to trade back to these teams? Toskala?!?!?
My point is that he thinks he's talking the talk, and "demonstrating" to all that he is serious, yet we alll know it is (at this point) just "that"... "talk" and "show".
Can't fool smart Leaf fans as he's been fooling duck fans.
Look at the mess he left behind in Anaheim...
AND look at his first hire as Leaf GM... a COMPETANT assistant!!!!
So to morons like 9817 who simply want to end the story, you entirly missed my point... please do not respond anymore unless you stand up and say something worth your time typing.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  12:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It's entertaining at the very least, I don't think Burke is going to land a top 2 pick but I do think he will end up moving up a couple spots. I'd actually prefer if the leafs could keep the 7th pick and snag the 6th, 8th or 9th pick and have 2 choices in the top 10.

Im still not sold on the Tavares hype, the kid seems to have a knack for scoring goals but it seems like in the NHL he would just get mauled. His skating still seems to be an issue and he just doesn't seem to have NHL speed.

He could very well be the new NHL's version of Brett Hull and score 45-55 goals a year but than again he could end up injury plagued scoring 22 goals a year and playing in 53 games...

Matt Duchene is going to be the best player in this draft when we look back 5 years from now.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest6500
( )

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  21:04:31  Reply with Quote
Leafs are a joke of a franchise, Burke is a self proclaimed winner and has only ever won a cup with a team that was built before he arrived. The leafs are going nowhere quick, end of discussion!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page