Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Top 10 NHL Defensemen - 2008-2009 Season Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest8241
( )

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  10:42:12  Reply with Quote
1) Mike Green - WAS
2) Nick Lindstrom - DET
3) Zdeno Chara - BOS
4) Brian Rafalski - DET
5) Andrei Markov - MON
6) Dan Boyle - SJ
7) Brian Campbell - CHI
8) Dion Phaneuf - CAL
9) Scott Neidermayer - ANA
10) Kimmo Timonen - PHI

Mike Green, 31G, 42A, 73pts....in 68 Games! Lindstrom, another solid year in a HOF career. Chara, the giant captain in Boston got it done. Rafalski, paired with Lindstrom in Detroit, just as good. Andrei Markov, 64pts, but -2? Dan Boyle, same as Markov, good production, but only +6? Brian Campbell, almost the same season as Boyle. Phaneuf, drop off in most categories. Neidermayer, still getting it done with the Ducks. As for Kimmo, an underrated PP man, solid numbers in Philly.

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  10:46:49  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8241

1) Mike Green - WAS
2) Nick Lindstrom - DET
3) Zdeno Chara - BOS
4) Brian Rafalski - DET
5) Andrei Markov - MON
6) Dan Boyle - SJ
7) Brian Campbell - CHI
8) Dion Phaneuf - CAL
9) Scott Neidermayer - ANA
10) Kimmo Timonen - PHI

Mike Green, 31G, 42A, 73pts....in 68 Games! Lindstrom, another solid year in a HOF career. Chara, the giant captain in Boston got it done. Rafalski, paired with Lindstrom in Detroit, just as good. Andrei Markov, 64pts, but -2? Dan Boyle, same as Markov, good production, but only +6? Brian Campbell, almost the same season as Boyle. Phaneuf, drop off in most categories. Neidermayer, still getting it done with the Ducks. As for Kimmo, an underrated PP man, solid numbers in Philly.

A HOF career and he's still called LiNdstrom.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8241
( )

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  11:26:53  Reply with Quote
Haha...

**Lidstrom**
Go to Top of Page

Guest0433
( )

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  15:27:49  Reply with Quote
missing streit and souray
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  20:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Campbell at 7 and Keith isn't even on the list? Keith is far and away the Hawks best defenceman. He'd be third on my list.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Go to Top of Page

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:07:35  Reply with Quote
For 2008-09, there are definately a few names I'd throw in and off the list:

In:
Wideman, had a career year, 50 pts, 13 goals, +32, avg over 24 mins a game
Weber, dropped off towards the end but still had 23 goals and 53 pts on Nashville, also finished a +1 on a team that was -20 in goals scored playing about 24 mins a night
Keith, 44 pts, +33 playing over 25 mins a night, definately chicago's best defenceman
and Streit and Souray as other people mentioned, Streit definately, I thought he was going to have a huge decline going to long island, but he had 16 goals, lead the team in scoring with 56 pts and had a +6 on the worst team in the league (-78 in goals, was also 5th in takeaways among D)

I'd rearrange the list as such:
1) Green - monster season
2) Lidstrom - doing his thing (extra stat - 1st in takeaways among D)
3) Chara - does it all (17th in hits for D, 51st in blocks, 50 pts), plays over 26 mins a night, 19 goals
4) Streit - for all the reasons above, this was a great year on a young, terrible team
5) Keith - The man in chicago (also 6th in takeaways among D)
6) Wideman - for this year, he deserves to be here, he was also 8th in hits among defenceman
7) Rafalski - put up a great year, but the detroit factor drops him
8) Boyle - same stats as Streit (+1 assist) on the best team in the league
9) Timonen - didn't put up the goals but was +19 playing over 24 mins a night and was 13 in blocks among D, the only premier Defenceman to be even close to the top 10
10) Tie - Souray/Weber - 23 goals each, Weber 8th in hits among D, Souray 11th in takeaways among D, 53 pts ea on Nashville and Edmonton

Honorable mentions: Markov, decent numbers, but the -2 is telling for a team that was a favourite. Niedermayer, good pts, bad +/-, #1 in takeaways among D, Bouwmeester, played almost 27 mins a night in a losing cause, was a -2, decent pts and goals. Campbell, good season, not a standout though. Blake, 15 goals and 45 pts, not bad for an old guy. Pronger, decent numbers at almost 27 mins a night in Anaheim
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You and I have different lists, I think.

1. Green (WAS)
2. Chara (BOS)
3. Wideman (BOS)
4. Streit (NYI)
5. Lidstrom (DET)
6. Rafalski (DET)
7. Boyle (SJ)
8. Weber (NAS)
9. Keith (CHI)
10. Markov (MTL)

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, guest 9838 must have posted at about the same time as I did, very similar. Can't argue much with the differences there either, (Timonen would be next on my list) and I agree with your honourable mentions as well. Smart picks!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:38:56  Reply with Quote
haha... thanks. yeah that's pretty close, nice picks :)
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  09:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprised on how few people have Neidermayer on their list. The guys was completed on fire towards the end of the season. I don't have the numbers, but in a telecast, the color guys stated that Niedermayer had more points since Jan 1st than an other D man in the league save Green. 4th in the league in scoring, 4th in the league in TOI, playing against the best in the league night after night. Possibly the best pure skater in the NHL.

He is definately on that list.

And as Willus said, Duncan Keith is the easily the most under-rated player in the NHL.

This ain't the 80's firewagon hockey and it takes more than points to make a great player.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:02:41  Reply with Quote
He's definatly good I agree, but who do you take off the list for the 2008-09 year?

I left him in the honorable mentions list due to the +/-, and he wasn't great for the whole time since Jan 1. In Feb he had only 7 pts and was -11, Jan he did have 17 pts but was only a +3 (his best month), Mar was also mediocre, he had 9 pts (2 3pt nights) and was a -1. April was his redeemer: 7 pts +5 in 5 games.

On my list I can't see removing anyone to make room for Niedermayer.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8351
( )

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:05:32  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0433

Yeah, so are the Canadiens.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  12:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long until Markov follows the lead of Souray and Streit and leave for the $$? lol

Does anyone know why Komisarek is so hyped up??? He's HORRIBLE!

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"
Go to Top of Page

Guest0433
( )

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  13:27:13  Reply with Quote
ZING!

quote:
Originally posted by Guest8351

quote:
Originally posted by Guest0433

Yeah, so are the Canadiens.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  14:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

How long until Markov follows the lead of Souray and Streit and leave for the $$? lol

Does anyone know why Komisarek is so hyped up??? He's HORRIBLE!

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"

markov is getting almost 7 millon on a multi year deal...

Pasty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page