Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 San Jose Shark-Bitten! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  07:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprised that no one has brought this up: what has happened to the San Jose Sharks?!?

I mean, a team as deep and as good as them doesn't get beat by one hot goalie; they don't get beat by an experienced team that has been there before; they don't get beat just because they are playing a squad that was one of the hottest going into the playoffs.

Is it a combination of all these things . . . or does San Jose just have a mental hurdle that they can't seem to get over? And what happens with this team if/when they do get eliminated in the first round?

btw - I don't assume for a second that they are out for sure yet, but they sure look done.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  07:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, no one's brought this up until now :P

I would have liked to see them put up more of a fight in this series, but the Ducks were an underrated team coming into the playoffs.

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  08:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm actually on record in another post as calling the Ducks the upset team in the first round prior to playoffs starting, and the reason I went with that, wasn't so much San Jose's playoff jinx, as it was as Rambo mentioned, no one was considering the Ducks.
They have almost the perfect team to give San Jose fits, their size and speed are a match for the Sharks, and they play a physical game like no other team.
The big question mark was the goaltending, but Hiller has shown he can step up and outplay Nabokov.
The Sharks have become the oddity of hockey playoffs, they don't seem to crank it up that extra notch that other teams do in the playoffs, their key players seem to be rolling along like it's another regular season game, good, but not great.
They all should follow old man Roenick's lead, he's playing with a heightened passion, but he's not effective enough anymore to carry anything, and if it's Roenick and Lemieux that are providing your team's spark, that in itself speaks volumes for your troubles.
IMHO...
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  08:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I'm on the way to 50 bucks, I made a bet with a buddy of mine who thought the Sharks were on the way to the cup with no trouble. I love Anaheim's team, perfect for playoff hockey.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  08:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate the sharks now, theyve let me down for the last time. Every year i pick them in my pool and every year they choke. This is the last time I bet on San Jose.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  08:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LOVE IT!!! I'm already pulling away in my pool ("Knock on wood") and pretty much everyone else has Sharks players, if they're done in the 1st round, smooth sailing the rest of the way

Elvis is right, who could've doubted that a team as good as the Ducks would fade into the night, they of all teams would play a punishing game and step up their play. This is pretty much the same team that won it all a couple years ago.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9838
( )

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  09:03:01  Reply with Quote
I am totally there with Matt_Roberts... I have always liked the sharks and bet on them, and each year raised my expectations again and again, but they screw me every year, and the like is going to quickly turn into hate.

On the Anaheim note, they were definately the team I feared San Jose going up against the most (in terms of who was fighting for 8th) any other team and I think San Jose would have won handidly.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  11:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anahiem is getting good goaltending from Hiller no doubt, but you cant say enough about Anahiem's D. They have possibly 2 of the top 5 in the leauge and imo 4 of the top 10-15 on the blue line. There offence isn't letting them down either they're scoring timely goals. Ex: yesterday after the long delay in the mddle of the second they com out and score in the first shift. The players are a little stif from the long break but no that they just got scored on they tighten right up. One last thing either the Sharks PP has be awful or the Ducks PK has been that good.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  12:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fat Elvis - you can check for yourself, but in our game of pick the series winner here, I also picked Anaheim. I also picked (cough cough)Columbus, but that's another story.

I think the key thing is Hiller. Everyone knew going in, and a lot of the commentators mentioned it - the absolute worst first-round match-up was the Ducks. They had skill, size, speed - matched them in every way, and exceeded them in experience. The only weak link was a very so-so season from Giguere . . . but Hiller seems to have solved that question quite nicely.

I find it curious that a lot of you are giving more credit to Anaheim rather than criticizing SJ's performance . . . but I agree in a lot of ways. They are full value, and if they get past SJ as they should now, Detroit will have their hands full.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  13:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I am Doug Wilson, I am completely shell shocked. I mean the guy had one of the best teams in the league last season and goes into the 2nd round of playoffs. The knock was no playoff experience on the team. So he goes out and gets a Cup winning Coach(well Cup winning assistant coach but none the less), as well as Boyle, Blake, Moen, and Lemiuex who have all been more than solid playoff performers. Then, you run into a hot team that matches up well and the guys you bank on to play (Marleau, Thornton, Michalek, Pavalski, Clowe, Setteguci) are no where to be found???

Wow, I would be banging my head against the wall!! There is no reason what so ever that this team should not have playoff success. Serious mental issues somewhere on that bench.

I am not surprised how well Anaheim has played. They had a couple of hicccups this year, but over all the team is not that much different than the one that won the Cup. Add Whitney to an already stellar defense and get a hot goalie plus Bobby Ryan flying on the first line.

But I am completely suprised at how poorly San Jose has played and how there is little to no passion in their play. It's like they don't care if they win or lose and any passion that is there (save a few players) is completely fake.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  13:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How awesome would it be if San Jose comes back and wins the series? It could happen!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  20:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure why people are surprised by this. Marleau and Thronton are playoff no shows every year. They are regular season types. In the playoffs your best players have to be your best players and come playoff time every year those two disappear.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  06:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Sharks are just confused and think it is the second round,lol.
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I am surprised that no one has brought this up: what has happened to the San Jose Sharks?!?

I mean, a team as deep and as good as them doesn't get beat by one hot goalie; they don't get beat by an experienced team that has been there before; they don't get beat just because they are playing a squad that was one of the hottest going into the playoffs.

Is it a combination of all these things . . . or does San Jose just have a mental hurdle that they can't seem to get over? And what happens with this team if/when they do get eliminated in the first round?

btw - I don't assume for a second that they are out for sure yet, but they sure look done.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Guest8144
( )

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  15:25:22  Reply with Quote
Quack Quack Quack !!!! GO DUCKS!! the only thing you can do to improve this team is to make Gordon Bombay the coach.... ducks are the 09 cup winners
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  15:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny Willus, I actually defended Thornton's playoff numbers last year, saying that he had improved greatly, and was a at the very least a decent playoff performer (now) in my mind. I think otherwise now, though . . . especially on a team as stacked as San Jose is.

To MattRoberts - normally, if it was a 1st seed down 3-1, going back to their own building, playing two of the next three (possible) at home, I'd give them a decent chance to come back, maybe even 50/50 odds. That's what I think for Washington, who was in a similar situation and they are a third of the way there.

But I don't see it with San Jose. The passion and frustration you saw with the Cap's shooters against a hot goalie . . . you don't see that same feeling in the Sharks, or at least, I didn't see it. I think they might be done tonight, actually, just from the way they played and lost the last game, and knowing that Anaheim is an experienced team that will put forth their very best effort to put them away quickly.

Like Beans said - serious mental issues. Does anyone see Thornton being moved eventually, after all this playoff bed-s***ting?

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  14:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I'm not sure why people are surprised by this. Marleau and Thronton are playoff no shows every year. They are regular season types. In the playoffs your best players have to be your best players and come playoff time every year those two disappear.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan

a few year ago Marleau led the playoffs in scoring untill his team was knocked out in the western conference final don't remeber what year but hes not a no show in the playoffs

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  15:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was in 04/05 vs. Calgary. Calgary took the WC Championship series in 7 and went on to lose to the Lightning in 7. San Jose was a great team then too but just ran in to a hot Flames team (Marty Gelinas wasa game winning machine that year!!!)
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  19:06:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

a few year ago Marleau led the playoffs in scoring untill his team was knocked out in the western conference final don't remeber what year but hes not a no show in the playoffs

Pasty

I was mostly thinking of Thornton but the last few seasons Marleau has not shown up either.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  04:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched almost the whole game, the first time I've watched this series in particular. Up late on a school night, but it was worth it . . . my observations:

1. Anaheim is FULL VALUE. That is one of the smartest hockey teams I have watched in a long time, and they look exactly like the old team that won the cup a short while ago. When your aging superstars like Selanne have bought into the team and are backchecking and taking big hits to dish off passes . . . well, you can just see that they are all "on". Detroit is going to have their hands full.

2. Getzlaf is simply amazing, as is Niedermayer. When did Getzlaf get so good? I guess I just didn't see any late games this year . . . anyways, there is a team leader who shows up!

3. Thornton - saw him in the first period for a bit, then he pulled off an amazing magic trick . . . he disappeared!

4. Hiller isn't just hot . . . he's good. Very good.

5.Besides Nieds who you see all over the ice making perfect passes and smart plays, there was Pronger, playing a much more understated role than what I am used to seeing. He seems to have his volitility under control, and that's trouble for the opposition.

6. Where was Clowe? Pavelski? Setoguchi? Marleau was ok, but nothing special. Really, this was a deep team where a long list of guys did not show up.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  06:26:57  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I watched almost the whole game, the first time I've watched this series in particular. Up late on a school night, but it was worth it . . . my observations:

1. Anaheim is FULL VALUE. That is one of the smartest hockey teams I have watched in a long time, and they look exactly like the old team that won the cup a short while ago. When your aging superstars like Selanne have bought into the team and are backchecking and taking big hits to dish off passes . . . well, you can just see that they are all "on". Detroit is going to have their hands full.

2. Getzlaf is simply amazing, as is Niedermayer. When did Getzlaf get so good? I guess I just didn't see any late games this year . . . anyways, there is a team leader who shows up!

3. Thornton - saw him in the first period for a bit, then he pulled off an amazing magic trick . . . he disappeared!

4. Hiller isn't just hot . . . he's good. Very good.

5.Besides Nieds who you see all over the ice making perfect passes and smart plays, there was Pronger, playing a much more understated role than what I am used to seeing. He seems to have his volitility under control, and that's trouble for the opposition.

6. Where was Clowe? Pavelski? Setoguchi? Marleau was ok, but nothing special. Really, this was a deep team where a long list of guys did not show up.

They were reminiscent of the '07 Red Wings in one sense: They run interference on every dump in and get away with it.

Getzlaf is a great player, but will probably gain little fan support outside of Anaheim as he is a cry baby.

Hiller is good. He caught A LOT of pucks that weren't on net - some not even close - just to keep the Sharks from getting any sustained pressure. He did it calmly too.

Two TOUGH breaks for Nabokov too - both in off of San Jose sticks.

Detroit will have their hands full, yes. A lack of skilled depth will hurt Anaheim in the end. They were double-shifting their top line with a two goal lead. If you have guys that can't score OR defend - you're not going too far.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4053
( )

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  07:05:15  Reply with Quote
If The Canes survived, my pool is right. I loss Marleau and Pavelski what a mess !
Go to Top of Page

Guest9804
( )

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  07:55:56  Reply with Quote
Ron Wilson probably has a smirk on his face right about now.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9844
( )

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  08:06:38  Reply with Quote
Nabokov isn't a great goalie. He play during this series was sub-par, showing that he's only good when the team in front of him is. He's just an average goalie who has been putting up great numbers because of the team he plays on. Let's rewind a bit to the Leafs/Sharks trade that brought Toskala to Toronto. Had the Sharks given Nabokov and held Toskala, everything that's happened for both teams up to now would be status quo. Toskala would be the Nabokov of today, and Nabokov would be the Toskala of today. Nabokov is only viewed as a better goalie today because of their respective teams.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  06:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9844

Nabokov isn't a great goalie. He play during this series was sub-par, showing that he's only good when the team in front of him is. He's just an average goalie who has been putting up great numbers because of the team he plays on. Let's rewind a bit to the Leafs/Sharks trade that brought Toskala to Toronto. Had the Sharks given Nabokov and held Toskala, everything that's happened for both teams up to now would be status quo. Toskala would be the Nabokov of today, and Nabokov would be the Toskala of today. Nabokov is only viewed as a better goalie today because of their respective teams.

I like Toskala and all, but you can't say he's on the same plateau as Evgeni...

2008-2009 Stats - Evgeni Nabokov
41W - 12L - 8OTL - 2.44 GAA - .910 S% - 7 SO

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  11:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

quote:

Before you say that, you might want to take a look at Toskala's stats with the Sharks.

Toskala, in 115 career games with the Sharks

65 wins, 28 losses, 8 Shutouts, .913 save %, 2.35 GAA

I say that puts him on exactly the same plateau as Nabokov.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3385
( )

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  21:09:14  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

quote:

Read Beans' comment, because he's right on. I don't think you read my post in its entirety. Nabokov is viewed as a better goalie than Toskala because of their respective teams. Toskala would put up the same numbers as Nabokov if he got to play behind a team like San Jose every night.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page