Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Toronto trading for 1st overall?? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest5269
( )

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  19:03:22  Reply with Quote
I heard that Brian Burke wants to trade for the 1st overall draft pick. If possible, what would he have to give up to the Islanders to get Garth Snow to even consider the offer?

Guest7190
( )

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  19:10:36  Reply with Quote
The Islanders could use pretty much anyone to build around, but are desperate for defense in particular. I would think probably at least Kaberle and a young forward. Maybe Hagman or Grabovski.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  19:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking as objectively as I can and If I am Garth Snow there is nothing the Leaf's have that would make me get away from Tavares. We are talking about the highest goal scorer in OHL history. One would think that the MINIMUM that Snow would look at would include either Schenn or Kaberle, a top 6 forward, and a future 1st round draft pick.

And looking at the Leaf's forwards, Blake and Hagman are the only players worth anything that are signed through next season.

Why would the Islander's give up Tavares, who would be a cornerstone to a young rebuilding team for anything on TO's roster.

With all due respect, there is just not enough there.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6735
( )

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  19:32:10  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Speaking as objectively as I can and If I am Garth Snow there is nothing the Leaf's have that would make me get away from Tavares. We are talking about the highest goal scorer in OHL history. One would think that the MINIMUM that Snow would look at would include either Schenn or Kaberle, a top 6 forward, and a future 1st round draft pick.

And looking at the Leaf's forwards, Blake and Hagman are the only players worth anything that are signed through next season.

Why would the Islander's give up Tavares, who would be a cornerstone to a young rebuilding team for anything on TO's roster.

With all due respect, there is just not enough there.

Sorry Beans. I don't normally disagree but this time I gotta. Tavares is slow. Tavares can score but generally scores goals that Tie Domi could score. Ever since his career year he has slid downhill, especially in playoffs. In fact due to his recent playoff performance some scouting agenices have put him down to 2 or even 3. This is not a player you can build a team around, he is a second line center or maybe a first line compliment to a better franchise player like a Datsyuk or Savard.
Go to Top of Page

TheReedReview
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  19:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Beans. I don't normally disagree but this time I gotta. Tavares is slow. Tavares can score but generally scores goals that Tie Domi could score. Ever since his career year he has slid downhill, especially in playoffs. In fact due to his recent playoff performance some scouting agencies have put him down to 2 or even 3. This is not a player you can build a team around, he is a second line center or maybe a first line compliment to a better franchise player like a Datsyuk or Savard.

Accidentally posted as a guest.
Crosby is not the reincarnation of Jesus, settle down McGuire

Edited by - TheReedReview on 04/27/2009 19:32:57
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  20:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheReedReview

Sorry Beans. I don't normally disagree but this time I gotta. Tavares is slow. Tavares can score but generally scores goals that Tie Domi could score. Ever since his career year he has slid downhill, especially in playoffs. In fact due to his recent playoff performance some scouting agencies have put him down to 2 or even 3. This is not a player you can build a team around, he is a second line center or maybe a first line compliment to a better franchise player like a Datsyuk or Savard.

Accidentally posted as a guest.
Crosby is not the reincarnation of Jesus, settle down McGuire

Even if I agree, which I don't. The Leafs still don't have anything on their roster for a player of Tavares Potential. When drafting a player, that is exactly what you are drafting, potential. Granted, he has not had 70+ goals a season, but it's hard to argue the 215 goals in 247 games in the OHL and his 16 goals, 25 points, and 2 Gold Medals in interational major junior competition.

Even if he pans out to be nothing but an average 30-40 goal scorer, which is definately not a stretch, the Leafs still don't have enough to trade for that.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2009 :  20:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More important than talent alone, Tavares brings the tag "franchise player" with him, and there is no way the Islanders would trade that away for a bunch of third rate players like the ones the Leafs would have to offer.

Hockey is a business, and the minute after Tavares is drafted, the T-shirts, jerseys, pucks, 8x10 photos and coffe mugs will be on sale and scooped up faster than the Islanders can keep them in stock. Every old Islander fan might even become interested again, and actually come out to a game.

You are not going to replace that with a Grabovski, Hagman, AND Schenn. Schenn is a keeper, those other two are healthy scrathes on a lot of teams. Even if they were "good" players, it would not matter. They are no name players compared to Tavares.

As for his talent, he scored more goals than any other player in OHL history. That says something.

He might be slow-ish. You know who else was slow? Brett Hull. Scoing goals in not about speed alone, it is about having "the touch". Brains and hands beat speed every day. Otherwise, Matthew Lombardi would have 70 goals a year.

Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  07:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else realize that every team in the NHL would want the 1st pick? Not just the Leafs, the only reason people talk about it is because Burke said it. This would be the voicemail on Garth Snow's Blackberry...

"Hi Garth...its Burke, from the Leafs...I was just wondering, if maybe, juuuuust maybe, I could trade you for the 1st pick? You can have anyone you want!"

Garth Snow would get a call like that from a lot of teams. The 1st Pick to the Leafs...not happening! As much as I would like that, realistically, impossible. Unless we trade Kaberle, Schenn, Blake...is there anyone else that’s appealing?

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  09:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Burke wants Tavares he might not have to deal with the Islanders to get him. Hedman is a safer pick, and probably more likely to make an immediate impact to a young rebuilding team.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  10:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans is right, they leafs dont have anything close to what it would take to land the 1st pick. But they may be able to swindle the 2nd pick out of tampa somehow, especially is tampa is desperate for a salary dump.

Burke is a smart cat, he's got something up his sleeve. It may not end up being Tavares but im pretty confident he'll move up a couple spots in the draft at least.

Grabovski and Hagman healthy scratches on most teams..? I dont think so. Hagman scored 27 on a Dallas team that went to the conferance finals. Grabo was one of the best rookies in the NHL this year.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  12:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on what you would have to pay Tavares it might be in the Leafs best interest to trade up for say Evander Kane or pick up Brayden Schenn to keep some cap space. The salary cap is going to go down possibly this year and most teams are going to have to make major adjustments to stay under. That being said there are going to be a lot of impact players that become available for the 09-10 season that Burkey could look at.
Go to Top of Page

kingwoody2
Top Prospect

72 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  12:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the Leafs, but they have nothing that would interest other teams in trading up to the 1st or 2nd pick. Everyone will ask for Schenn and Burkie is not going to trade him for anything.

Although I can see Burke trading up a couple spots to 4th or 5th maybe....

Edited by - kingwoody2 on 04/28/2009 12:43:16
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  12:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets not forget that the Isles could have had schenn with the 5th pick last year, they had Bailey rated higher than Schenn and were able to trade down and still get the guy they wanted. Why would they deal away the 1st pick for a player they could have had a year earlier? I just don't see it happening. I still think Tampa could be in the mix, but id be shocked if the isles trade the 1st pick to anybody.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  14:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

If Burke wants Tavares he might not have to deal with the Islanders to get him. Hedman is a safer pick, and probably more likely to make an immediate impact to a young rebuilding team.

Although I agree that Hedman is a more stable pick, it is still a moot point.

Regardless if Tavares goes #1 or #2 (which 99% of the hockey world believe will happen) either the Islanders or the Lightning would not improve as much with any thing on TO's roster as they would with either Hedman or Tavares.

I just don't see it happening.

And the comment about cap space is not relevant. All rookies have a 3 year max contract of less then $1 million/year. I would suggest that most of the top 10 picks will all have very similar contracts if not exact so there is no short term impact on the cap. Longer than 3 years, definately, but TO has a TON of UFA's in the coming 2 seasons. No cap trouble at all if the Leafs want Tavares. I just can't see how they are going to get him.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  14:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most deals where Burke can land Tavares seem to include trading his first round draft pick this year. When you add a combination of Kaberle, Grabovski, Schenn, future first round draft picks, etc. into that, it just doesn't seem smart. Not saying I don't want Tavares on Toronto, simply saying it's not the best hockey move.

Instead, if he could find a way to get another top ten pick, then he'd be going into the draft with two of the top ten picks. He could get Schenn AND someone else! Can you imagine how amazing that is? If you add Hanson, Brozak (sp?), that Monster Kid and whatever else the Leafs add in the off-season, Burke will have given a decent overhaul to the team in his short tenure here so far.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9244
( )

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  17:49:04  Reply with Quote
3 words...
more media attention
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2009 :  05:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trade up so we can get Evander Kane. I'll call it, he'll be an Iginla / Getzlaf type of player.

"Everytime you step out onto the ice, it's a clean slate, anyone can win"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page