Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 hawks bad signings Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  14:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hawks although they appear young and poised to be a great dynasty have a glaring problem. Numerous bad signings.
almost 6 mil back up starter set to be FA how can you put over 10 mil towards goalie bulin will be gone.
campell makes seven mil and is set as their fourth d on the depth chart what happens when they go to sign the other thrree they will want huge money because he gets it and is not worth it.
toews and kane will want a bundle and make minimum right now and they are already up agianst the cap.
the hawks have a cap problem
YIKES...
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CHI&season=0809

I don't bring the controversey it comes to me.

Iginla for 2010 team captain!!!

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  16:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's only a problem if they lose. If they win, then Mission Accomplished!

Quite honestly the days of the dynasty are pretty much gone, the cap has ensured us of that (for exactly the reasons you listed above) You just can't have multiple great players for any length of time unless they take huge discounts. The game is now more about scouting and team chemistry. Never in the 30+ years that I've been watching the game has drafting been so important.

For the playoffs Campbell may be 4th on the depth chart but that is because Seabrook and Keith are their first line shut down pairing who will play against the other team's first line. Having said that, if the Hawks had to choose they will send Campbell packing. He already has a rep as a rental player. Love the guy, what great speed and puck handling, but they will bank on their youth for the next few years.

Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  16:40:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its just tough tho becaue of huet and campell together = 12 mil+ and their underperformance sends a bad message and it make it hard to get rid of

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Higgsy
Top Prospect

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  16:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hawks are not going to be a good team
They are young but that hurts even more.
They will have little money left to play their young players on small contracts.

Dont look for them to be a contender in the future.

Ex-NHL, AHL and, OHL player. Black Hawks Devils Red Wings. Tim Higgins (career 78-89) Scored 59 points in my best season, I think I know hockey.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  14:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Havlat, Versteeg, Bolland, Brouwer Walker, Johnson, Pahlson and Bulin Wall all unsigned for next year. 20 million of cap space. Khabi is a goner unless he pulls a cup this year. i say the priority is to resign Versteeg, Walker, and Havlat. Let the rest of the chips fall where they may. This is not a bad team for the long run and Campbell is very tradeable if they think he is overpaid.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  15:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id say barker would be the priority along iwth havlat and versteeg
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  16:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry missed barker on my list. Definitly gotta sign him still 20 million enough room to sign these guys.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  18:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Havlat, Versteeg, Bolland, Brouwer Walker, Johnson, Pahlson and Bulin Wall all unsigned for next year. 20 million of cap space. Khabi is a goner unless he pulls a cup this year. i say the priority is to resign Versteeg, Walker, and Havlat. Let the rest of the chips fall where they may. This is not a bad team for the long run and Campbell is very tradeable if they think he is overpaid.

Havlat is a very talented player; I've been saying this since his early days in Ottawa. BUT he is extremely injury prone. Other than this year he has never played a full season in his career. And in the last 3 seasons he has played only 108 games (36 games/season average) I say trade him at your first available opportunity and get a ton for him while his stock is high!
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  18:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya trading havlat wouldnt be a bad idea

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  18:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts exactly, Leigh - trade Havlat while his stock is highest, after a long season.

I still think Chicago will do well in the future . . . everyone has the same problem, and they have a lot of young talent. The salaries will come down at some point to better fit the cap restraints.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  19:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep Pahlson he very underrated and great on the pk
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  05:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

its just tough tho becaue of huet and campell together = 12 mil+ and their underperformance sends a bad message and it make it hard to get rid of

Huet underperfoming?? uhhh a 2.5 goals against and a 916 sv% a winning record and uhh well bulin was hurt Huets started 20 straight or something and th hawks were in 4th,,, it was more just bulin playing better and stealing the top job,,, hawks let bulin walk at the end of the year and im sure they are more than happy with Huet as a starter

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  07:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Dale Tallon was smart he'd take a look at what Ken Hollandis doing in Detroit. Holland has figured out how to manipulate the cap in his favour. Take a look at the Zetterberg and Franzen deals.

The Zetterberg contract kicks in next season at $7.4-million, followed by three years at $7.75-million, four years at $7.5-million, one year at $7-million and one year at $3.35-million. Zetterberg will be paid $1-million in each of the final two seasons of the deal.

With the final 3 seasons being relativley cheap it drops the cap hit down to 6 mil. He managed to take what would have been a 7.5mil cap hit and drop it to 6. Not to mention, he could buy out the contact after about 8 years with a relativley small cap hit.

Same thing with the Franzen deal, the forward signed an 11-year contact extension worth $43.5-million on April 11th, 2009 that will keep him under contact until the conclusion of the 2019-2020 season. Franzen's salary cap hit will be slightly under $4-million per season at $3,954,454. All of those seasons save for the last 4 are in excess of 5 million. The last 4 seasons are 3.5mil, 2mil and 2 seasons at 1 mil.

Again, Holland gets to pay the player the money he is looking for, get the cap hit he wants, and leaves himself a window to buy out the contact near the end of the players career.

Dale Tallon should do the same thing with Kane, Toews, Versteeg, Havlat, go down the list. You probably dont do that with everyone, but most of your cornerstone players can be locked up now.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  13:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I happen to disagree with the topic. Huet will be the goalie once Habbi retires or moves on. This is his one redeeming season since Tampa Bay. Campbell is moveable as I have said If they dont think they got their money worth. I know New York or Atlanta would drool if Campbell was on the market.

In response to the Havlat comment, as a current Ottawa fan with a team lacking secondary scoring I hope Havlat returns to my team what a playoff performer. He finally has had a season with 80 games. Before he left Ottawa was considered an elite player with a knack for getting injured, so either you roll the dice or you sit in the spring.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page