Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Vancouver vs Chicago Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rebekah
Top Prospect

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  21:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... we had a good run. A little disappointing I'll admit, we really should have been on top of things and they weren't really playing their A+ game the way they needed to be.

What can I say?

Still a Canucks fan, and there's always next year.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  21:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't remember who said it the other night on CBC, but it was alone the lines of Skill will eventually overcome. That is exactly what happened here. Chicago was simply a better hockey team. No disrespect to the Canucks. They played well and should be proud. But they just weren't good enough top to bottom. They needed Luongo to be better than the best and he wasn't. And Vancouver was outcoached.

The one thing I will say is that only 3 of the 6 games were truely boring to watch. So it's wasn't the most boring series to watch, but pretty close.

Shaping up to be Detroit vs. Chicago. Youth vs. Experience. Should be a good west Final.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9932
( )

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  02:24:53  Reply with Quote
Round 1.........
Vancouver swept St. Louis in the first round and they were ready to raise the cup based on Luongo stopping a St. Louis team loaded with such top notch defenseman as Woywitka, Weaver, Polak (not top 6 d by any stretch) and no Kariya or Brewer and you get the picture.
5 Goals against for a 1.20 average or something like that

Round 2.........
A few months ago Vanvouver beat Chicago on a Sunday afternoon 4-0. All the media and Vancouver fans were going on and on about how it was a statement game. Then going into the playoffs all they could say was "We want to play Chicago in the playoffs".......well you got it Vancouver Fans.......
A little more skill up front than St. Louis and on the back end with Seabrook, Campbell, Keith, Barker (Probably the best young D in the league bar none)= a power play unit that can score and overall in the series 22 Goals against.........
Thanks to all the Vancouver fans I won money off this last round!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  04:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the end, Luongo just didn't play well enough. He had to have his A+ game, and he had to steal a game or two, and it just didn't happen. Sometimes it's experience and defence that wins it, but sometimes it's pure offensive firepower . . . when combined with pretty good goaltending, that is. Well, the goalies played about even this series, so Chicago wins it.

Detroit or Anaheim against a young, fast, skilled Chicago team - looks to be a very fun third round, youth vs experience.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  07:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These playoffs are kicking so much ass

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest4948
( )

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  08:08:25  Reply with Quote
Congrats to Chicago and their fans. Not about to agree that they're the better team but they're definitely the team playing better when it matters most. Don't get to see a lot of Chi games but they really impressed me, especially their D. We all knew they had some fantastic young forwards, but i think a lot of us are surprised at just how well their D played! Keith and Seabrook are absolute studs (i'm not at all a Campbell fan though) and showed it in those six games! Best of luck to them vs Det (assuming they finish off Anaheim)....should be a good Western final.......
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  09:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was easily Sundin's best game I think, the Canucks stepped it up in that game for sure but man - can't hang on to a lead, that was the issue for the whole series. The better team won for sure.

I hope the Hawks make it to the final.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8228
( )

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  12:20:26  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

This should be an easy second round for Vancouver

Wrong as usual....
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  06:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Who you think is going to win this series and why?

This should be an easy second round for Vancouver

Chicago is easily the most underrated team this post season. They'll make the final, no problem

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  09:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a big Black Hawks fan here but there is one thing I don't understand. Why is it in Canada does everyone have to root for a Canadian team? Growing up in the 70's I remember many people rooting for the Blackhawks when they went up against the Canadiens in 71 and 73. Now it seems everyone has to cling on to any Canadian team that's left in the playoffs. I didn't see this type of patriotism growing up.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  09:33:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear ya Seal, I don't understand the cheering for Canadian teams because you are a Canadian. Personally, I cheer for the teams I like because of other reasons I like them. Such as Chicago as I was a fan of Roenick, Savard, and Larmer.

I will never, ever cheer for Vancouver or Calgary UNLESS they are playing against Toronto. Those are my three least liked teams. Because they are in Canada makes no difference.

By the way, as I was waking from my slumber this morning, I hear the guy on the radio talking about fans in Vancouver calling for Luongo's head. Some people apparently want him traded. Has anyone else heard this???
Go to Top of Page

rebekah
Top Prospect

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  11:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans15 - I haven't heard this about Luongo. We all know he knows he let his team down, personally I wouldn't make it any harder on him than he is already being on himself.

Secondly, what's wrong with us cheering for the last Canadian team? Canadians aren't patriotic enough as it is. Why is it that American's can be over-the-top patriotic but when it comes to the hockey playoffs Canadians can't be too? I think the majority of the people cheering for the last Canadian team (just because they're the only Canadian team left) is probably because they don't know hockey or other teams as well. Many people don't even watch the sport until the post-season.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  11:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rebekah

Beans15 - I haven't heard this about Luongo. We all know he knows he let his team down, personally I wouldn't make it any harder on him than he is already being on himself.

Secondly, what's wrong with us cheering for the last Canadian team? Canadians aren't patriotic enough as it is. Why is it that American's can be over-the-top patriotic but when it comes to the hockey playoffs Canadians can't be too? I think the majority of the people cheering for the last Canadian team (just because they're the only Canadian team left) is probably because they don't know hockey or other teams as well. Many people don't even watch the sport until the post-season.

There is nothing wrong with Cheering for a team that's Canadian just like there is nothing wrong with cheer for a team that is not Canadian. Bottom line, the majority of the players are Canadian. If I recall, when Anaheim won the Cup, they had more Canadians on their team that any other in the league.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2975
( )

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  11:53:46  Reply with Quote
Wow beans I think you just took both sides of your own arguement.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5776
( )

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  18:03:56  Reply with Quote
There in fact have been some fans here in Van calling for Luongo's head, mostly because of game 6 and the meltdown that it was for him. Those defending him need to keep in mind that he's the highest paid on the team and it's captain and with the money being spent on him, he needs to perform when it's needed most.

However, most of the banter here in Van today was on the Team 1040 sports talk radio and while a lot was to do with Luongo, it wasn't necessarily blaming him for the loss to Chicago. What they were discussing for the most part is whether or not a team can have a goalie making 7 million or more and still have enough left over for a good enough team to run for the cup? Look at the goalies who're still in the playoffs right now and none are making that kind of money. It's an interesting debate and could prob use a separate thread here if anyones interested in discussing?
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  22:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teams are known to pay players far beyond their market value. Whether it is shelling out tons for a player well beyond their prime (Sundin) or a goalie who has never played in the semi-finals (Luongo), teams will always shell out millions in hopes of securing a Stanley Cup contender. The player themselves should never be the blame for what the team shelled out for them. Blame Luongo for having a bad game but it is the management of the team that is responsible for the high priced earnings of Luongo. If it were as simple as whoever paid out the most for their players the Rangers would have had a dynasty by now.

Personally I would like to see all players paid the same and the big bucks be handed out each time you made a playoff round.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page