Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Sedins want 63 Million.... each Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  10:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...over 12 years. Here's the story: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282198

That breaks down to 5.25 mil per season, which is OK but the term is crazy. In 12 years they will be 40 or 41 I think. If this is how teams are going to have to work the salary cap, I don't think this is a good trend. Imagine if Naslund was signed to a 12 year contract when he was entering his prime? Wouldn't be so great for the last 8 years.

Think Gillis will bite?

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  10:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoever gives the Sedins 12 years is a MORON

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  10:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only team I can think of that would do this, Garth Snow and the Islanders....afterall, 15 Years for DiPietro isn't much better! :P haha..

But 10.5/year combined, pretty good price for the Sedins. If Penner can get 4, this would be a steal, just not for 12 years lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  12:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
7-8 years maybe, not 12. Most NHLers dont play for 12 years. They would have to be exceptional players to play for as long as they have an expect to maintain that level for that period of time. This is the most self centered deal I have heard of in a while. I cant believe these guys just compared themselves to Zetterberg. If you play one and not the other on a team lets see them compare to Zetterberg. Couple of arrogant asses if you ask me.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  13:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I know Burke won't agree to those terms, thank goodness!! Even Detroit signing Zetterberg and Franzen to 12 and 11 year deals is very risky and it could come back to bite them in the a$$ in say 5 or 6 years. Who knows what kind of shape (injuries) you're going to be in even in 2 years!!

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

Guest0829
( )

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  18:41:05  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gusteroni

Well I know Burke won't agree to those terms, thank goodness!! Even Detroit signing Zetterberg and Franzen to 12 and 11 year deals is very risky and it could come back to bite them in the a$$ in say 5 or 6 years. Who knows what kind of shape (injuries) you're going to be in even in 2 years!!

Well unlike Garth, Z and Mule are both front loaded so prime candidates for buy outs. Garth gave even distribution to Dipietro so the buyout doesn't get him much cap space (half over extended period of buyout).
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  20:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They didn't compare themselves to Zetterberg directly, TSN mentioned the the contract they want is structured similarly to Zetterberg's in terms of years and money.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  12:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People and their long term deals...

Every contract should be incentive based, done and done...

You don't put up points, you go home with a base salary, you play 10 games and have a cast on for the other 72, you don't get paid as much as an 82-gamer...so on and so forth lol...

Back on topic, again, $10.5 Million/year for both twins, good deal :D lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  17:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing that people fail to appreciate about these long term contracts is that most of the players will not make it through to the end. They are built and designed for a team to buy out a players in the last 3-4 years of the deal, but it keeps the cap dollar lower.

For example, Franzen is signed through the 2019/20 season. However, the last 4 years of that contract is only worth $7 million ($3.5 million, $2 million, $1 million, and $1 million). One has to remember that a team can buy out a players contract for 2/3 the value remaining and only 1/2 of the cap hit stays with a team. So, Detroit can buy out Franzen at the end of the 16/17 seasons(8 years from now) for a total for about $1.5 million. Or at the end of the 15/16 season for a little more than $2 million. His cap his is less than $4 million total, so they would only be staddled with a $2 million cap hit from buying out the contract. That's peanuts as by that time, the cap should be about $70 million. Similar set up as the other players in the league with 10+ year contracts. Low at the end for a buy out.

That being said, the Sedin sisters, must be dreaming if they think their names belong in the same group as Zetterberg. There is a huge, underlining difference. One of these players is a Conn Smythe winner who actually steps up in the play offs. The other two have a total of 58 points in 106 combined play off games.

I don't think that's worth $128 million for the pair.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2009 :  15:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The thing that people fail to appreciate about these long term contracts is that most of the players will not make it through to the end. They are built and designed for a team to buy out a players in the last 3-4 years of the deal, but it keeps the cap dollar lower.

For example, Franzen is signed through the 2019/20 season. However, the last 4 years of that contract is only worth $7 million ($3.5 million, $2 million, $1 million, and $1 million). One has to remember that a team can buy out a players contract for 2/3 the value remaining and only 1/2 of the cap hit stays with a team. So, Detroit can buy out Franzen at the end of the 16/17 seasons(8 years from now) for a total for about $1.5 million. Or at the end of the 15/16 season for a little more than $2 million. His cap his is less than $4 million total, so they would only be staddled with a $2 million cap hit from buying out the contract. That's peanuts as by that time, the cap should be about $70 million. Similar set up as the other players in the league with 10+ year contracts. Low at the end for a buy out.

That being said, the Sedin sisters, must be dreaming if they think their names belong in the same group as Zetterberg. There is a huge, underlining difference. One of these players is a Conn Smythe winner who actually steps up in the play offs. The other two have a total of 58 points in 106 combined play off games.

I don't think that's worth $128 million for the pair.

And that is why this is the most self centered Igotistical deal they could have asked for. I bet the front end of the contract has them getting paid like 14-15 million per year. You could sign 3-4 players to short term contracts and produce similar stats.

Plus that long a term is not good for player's or team for the most production possible from the players. Someone asking for the same $$$/time area of a player who has played in the league same amount of time with far superior numbers past, present and future, in regular season and playoff games and is considered a leader in the room (MVP).
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  10:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Especially boggling to me, in this whole Sedin 'salary demand', is that they come as a pair, and that severely restricts the market for them already. We are only talking about a handful of teams, of which the Sedins will only choose a few I am guessing due to numerous factors.

They are really painting themselves in a corner, because I don't see the two most likely teams to sign them (Vancouver and Toronto) signing them to anything close to as much as has been reported. The only other team that might be in the running would be the Rangers perhaps, but I don't see them going after the twins.

I see two big slices of HUMBLE PIE in the Sedin twins' future!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2009 :  09:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Sedin's are great players, don't get me wrong. However, have you ever seen them when they are split up on seperate lines? They look lost, still good, but if you split them up, 60 points tops.

It's one of those things, if a team is really willing to take up two roster spots to get a combined 164 Points, or with the same money, fill up 3 or 4 roster spots with a few consistent, 55-70 point players...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page