Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Heatley Hoax Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  22:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... even if Heatley goes to Edmonton its not looking like a bright future. This is because he does not want to go there.

In this aritcle it says at one point that Edmonton would not be one of Heatley's personal choices. Sorry EDM fans but it looks like you might not get him after all.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283382

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  22:31:55  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

Well... even if Heatley goes to Edmonton its not looking like a bright future. This is because he does not want to go there.

In this aritcle it says at one point that Edmonton would not be one of Heatley's personal choices. Sorry EDM fans but it looks like you might not get him after all.

Damit, it kills me to say this, but i am jealous of Calgary. They never get crap like this, players not wanting to come and all of that. If heatley doesnt accept the trade, he probably benefits Ottawa more by them getting more because of the 4 mil bonus. I just want a star to want to come to edmonton and stay there. Defensmen other than pronger like it here, so why cant star forwards damnit?

Go to Top of Page

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  22:33:07  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9235

quote:
Originally posted by hockster

Damit, it kills me to say this, but i am jealous of Calgary. They never get crap like this, players not wanting to come and all of that. If heatley doesnt accept the trade, he probably benefits Ottawa more by them getting more because of the 4 mil bonus. I just want a star to want to come to edmonton and stay there. Defensmen other than pronger like it here, so why cant star forwards damnit?

That is what i said, sorry lol
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  22:55:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha its pretty funny.
Other then Pronger when was the last time Edmonton had a superstar.
Im thinking back to Messier.
They just have not had the greats other then one year with Pronger.

Verdict: The Management through the past fifteen years was brutal.
Great management before that time, Great teams.
I would start out fresh and gut everyone in the management like Lowe, and the other directors, and maybe even give Tambellini the boot, unless he gets Heatley, he's done nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  00:37:20  Reply with Quote
Lowe had a flash of brilliance aquiring many players in the 06 season, but that was it. It is too early to tell if Tambellini is good or not but he has tried many things and failed because it was Edmonton. If it was Calgary he may have been successful in a couple more things and looked better.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  04:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, part of it is Edmonton's reputation, whether it is deserved or not . . .

1) Northernmost city in NHL: See - cold, long, snowy winter, short summer
2) Non metropolitan city - it's got a "hick" reputation, which is only turning into a rougher blue collar rep with the oil boom going there again . . . and other than Calgary a few hours away, nothing exciting close by, not much of a downtown for entertainment
3) You have all the disadvantages of the western conference - in fact, Edmonton probably has the farthest to travel of anyone, or close to it - without any perks (West coast has sunshine or nicer climate, south has the heat, Colorado and Calgary have the mountains)

So, what does Edmonton have to lure over young talent in today's NHL?

The best ice.

'nuff said.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  13:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well, part of it is Edmonton's reputation, whether it is deserved or not . . .

1) Northernmost city in NHL: See - cold, long, snowy winter, short summer
2) Non metropolitan city - it's got a "hick" reputation, which is only turning into a rougher blue collar rep with the oil boom going there again . . . and other than Calgary a few hours away, nothing exciting close by, not much of a downtown for entertainment
3) You have all the disadvantages of the western conference - in fact, Edmonton probably has the farthest to travel of anyone, or close to it - without any perks (West coast has sunshine or nicer climate, south has the heat, Colorado and Calgary have the mountains)

So, what does Edmonton have to lure over young talent in today's NHL?

The best ice.

'nuff said.

Ok,couple of things.

After Messier left, the Oilers had the likes of Weight, Guerin, Arnott, Salo, Joseph. There were other superstars here. They just could afford them with no salary cap and a weak Canadian Dollar.

And Slozo, with all due repsect, that is the exact ignorant mentality that people have towards Edmonton without experience in the city in the past 5-10 years. The city has done tons of things to shake that stigma of a blue collar (hick) town. The downtown core and Whyte Ave have revitalized the city. There are more festivals and cultural events in Edmonton than most any other city in Canada (with the exceptions of perhaps Monreal and Toronto). Now, I can't argue that it's cold and the travel is more taxing than on other teams. But the comments about nothing to do, a weak downtown and the rest is completely factless.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0548
( )

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  14:01:23  Reply with Quote
Yah, and if you press your ear to the ground and listen long enough you can hear screams from a shooting in millwoods or a stabbing downtown or a riot on whyte ave. I moved from Edmonton because it has all the bad elements of a big town, but only has a big mall for tourists and stripclubs for entertainment.

No beach, no mountains, scenery is the pits, horrible horrible winters. This town has a huge inferiority complex.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  01:20:30  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0548

Yah, and if you press your ear to the ground and listen long enough you can hear screams from a shooting in millwoods or a stabbing downtown or a riot on whyte ave. I moved from Edmonton because it has all the bad elements of a big town, but only has a big mall for tourists and stripclubs for entertainment.

No beach, no mountains, scenery is the pits, horrible horrible winters. This town has a huge inferiority complex.

Its a pretty short drive to get to the mountains, that isnt much of a problem.And Edmonton doesnt havee as much bad stuff as your sayin. Toronto has more crime, way more than Edmonton.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  05:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9235

quote:
Originally posted by Guest0548

Its a pretty short drive to get to the mountains, that isnt much of a problem.And Edmonton doesnt havee as much bad stuff as your sayin. Toronto has more crime, way more than Edmonton.

Toronto has only had 13 homicides this year to date, how many has Edmonton had? Not to mention, there are over 3 Million people in the Greater Toronto Area, so it's expected to have a little more crime lol...I agree with 0548, it's not like all these players do is focus on hockey 24/7, they have their time too, and if there's nothing to do or little to attract them (i.e. night-life, tourism, public image, a bit of a celebrity aspect) then they don't want to go. Pretty sure any player (young, rising star) would want to play for Toronto or Montreal, killer night-life, on the cover of every newspaper, throwing out the first pitch at MLB games, spotted at NBA games, etc. etc. Alot of PR opportunities in the big cities....

Back on topic...honestly, let Heatley go to the KHL. He won't score 50 in a season again, he's shown that he only cares about himself and clearly has no regard for his team or fans. Edmonton, if you still want him, take him, but for the same money, you can probably get better production from Cogliano and Penner (combined)...

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  07:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not at all saying that Edmonton can compete with cities larger. That would be like saying St. Louis has more things to do that New York. It's simply not true. All I am saying is that people who say there is "nothing to do in Edmonton and nothing to attract a player to Edmonton" either haven't been to Edmonton in the past 5-10 years or are just being ignorant. It's not this black hole in the West that people make it out to be. That part is simply not true. Sure it's no TO for attractions, but it's not that bad and is better than it was 10 years ago.

And Cogliano and Penner combined can not play on the wing with Hemsky to produce a bonified 1st line. Personally, I think that Heatley's game playing has worn thin and it's getting more and more difficult to think he is trustworthy. However, the potential to have a 50 goal scorer and a legitimate 40 goal scorer is exactly what Heatley is and exactly what the Oilers need.

Edited by - Beans15 on 07/02/2009 07:06:14
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  07:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, I knew someone would get offended about my take on how other NHL players might view the city . . . it wasn't my opinion, per se. I like Edmonton for what it is.

However, you must admit that Edmonton does not have a great downtown, Beans. Seriously. I have spent a decent amount of time there, visits of more than a week long where I go out with my cousins Fri/Sat night, and . . . frankly, there are a lot of small town elements about Edmonton that these NHL players, used to lifestyles of luxury at this point, would pick out right away. And the mountains ARE far away, it's probably closer to 4 hours if you want to go skiing. From Calgary it's about 2 hours. In Calgary, you can see the mountains, it's got that scenic feel (like Denver), but not so in Edmonton, which is very spread out like a true northern city.

Not all NHL players need a big city lifestyle, but a guy like Heatley was looking at San Jose, LA or New York . . . now, what does that say about his needs/wants? Heatley just yearned for a big-time, big city lifestyle, I guess . . . and maybe, he wants out of Canada too?

Screw him, he has lost me as a fan, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  07:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

See, I knew someone would get offended about my take on how other NHL players might view the city . . . it wasn't my opinion, per se. I like Edmonton for what it is.

However, you must admit that Edmonton does not have a great downtown, Beans. Seriously. I have spent a decent amount of time there, visits of more than a week long where I go out with my cousins Fri/Sat night, and . . . frankly, there are a lot of small town elements about Edmonton that these NHL players, used to lifestyles of luxury at this point, would pick out right away. And the mountains ARE far away, it's probably closer to 4 hours if you want to go skiing. From Calgary it's about 2 hours. In Calgary, you can see the mountains, it's got that scenic feel (like Denver), but not so in Edmonton, which is very spread out like a true northern city.

Not all NHL players need a big city lifestyle, but a guy like Heatley was looking at San Jose, LA or New York . . . now, what does that say about his needs/wants? Heatley just yearned for a big-time, big city lifestyle, I guess . . . and maybe, he wants out of Canada too?

With that being said, safe to say, with his behavior, he's taken his name off the ballot for team Canada?

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  08:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, he hasn't taken his name off the ballot yet . . . but I can tell you one thing: Yzerman is taking a very long, hard look at the guy's character right now.

We'll see, but the situation is not good right now for Ottawa. They were stuck with the 4 mil to pay him, and will now want some value for that. It could mean that they work out a trade where the team that gets Heatley pays all or most of that bonus, but . . . you can bet that Ottawa is bitter, and rightly so.

Heatley thought he could dictate even further where he wanted to go, and Ottawa wasn't going to be pushed around, when they found what for them was a very good deal with Edmonton. I don't blame Ottawa management at all for that, good deals are hard to come by, and they were already accomodating Heatley's trade request.

Yzerman has lots of options to replace Heatley, but we all know it wouldn't be the same calibre of player. Going forward, I see him getting a stern talking to . . . as much as you can scold a fully grown man who is a millionaire, that is.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  09:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And you are dead right, many NHLer's want the big city life style and I am not arguing that. But let's call a spade and spade. Living in downtown Edmonton currently, I can honestly say that the core is way better than it was 5 years ago. Restaurants, night clubs, cultural centres, etc. And the mountains are less than 3 hours from my house.(2 blocks from the Church that Janet Jones and WG got hitched).

Regardless, that's neither here nor there. I am not offended at all, just don't like the place I live being talked about with non-factual information. And as I stated before, there are at least 3-4 cities in Canada that I personally prefer over Edmonton. I'm not saying it's the end all be all, but it's not the sh*thole the sports media make it out to be.

Now, to the point at hand. Trust me when I say that this is not bias as a fan of the Oilers, but does anyone else find it a little pathetic that a player (not just Heatley but any player) has the ability to demand a trade AND choose where they go???

I suggest that the NHL and the NHLPA get together and put in a stipulation for every NHL contract that says if a player demands a trade, any no trade clause is null and void. I think it's a joke that a player can say, "I don't want to play here, but I will tell you where I am going to play!"

Go to Top of Page

Guest0847
( )

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  21:04:00  Reply with Quote
To all those people (mostly leafs fans) that said Spezza was selfish, you might want to retract that statement.

Paraphrasing: Either come back to us and work as a team or move on and let us get on with it.

Heater = Selfish
Spezza = Team Player

Hopefully Heater takes his good friend's advice and makes like a tree. Hopefully they don't get in a car to talk about it, with Heater driving - thanks to other guest and Hockster for that one.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  11:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0847

To all those people (mostly leafs fans) that said Spezza was selfish, you might want to retract that statement.

Paraphrasing: Either come back to us and work as a team or move on and let us get on with it.

Heater = Selfish
Spezza = Team Player

Hopefully Heater takes his good friend's advice and makes like a tree. Hopefully they don't get in a car to talk about it, with Heater driving - thanks to other guest and Hockster for that one.

We never said Spezza was selfish, we said he was a cocky little bastard haha

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  16:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this talk about crime in Edmonton vs Toronto is retarded and it holds no water, it is next to zero compared to cities like New York, Detroit or Chicago and guys like playing there...and people saying s*** like there is nothing to do in Edmonton so no one would ever want to go to Edmonton and play hockey is crap, Edmonton has one of the biggest malls in North America with lots of entertainment.

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP

Edited by - hanley6 on 07/04/2009 16:35:39
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  09:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley recently stated that it is not Edmonton the city that he is saying no to. He just wants more options.
As for the arguement about Edmonton compared to other cities most people would agree that Edmonton is not the most appealing Canadian city. I have spent considerable time in and around Edmonton. The people are great but the city really has only two reasons to go there; the mall and the oil/gas industry. I personally like Edmonton and have enjoyed every visit there. As for NHL players, I am sure most would rank almost every other NHL city higher as the place they would want to live. Except for the players from north Alberta.
Also, Spezza is selfesh. It goes back to his junior days when he refused to play for Mississauga and held out til he was dealt to Windsor. He is a huge whiner. He has always been. I used to watch him in junior whining and crying every time he was on the ice. It also shows in his play, how many times did he create a turnover because he wanted do it all himself. Too many.
I agree whole heartedly with Beans. It is really pathetic that a player can demand trades and only accept trades to teams they want to go to. There is too much of this happening. I say get rid of the no trade clauses, and I also say that if either a team or player want a change then they should be able to be released of their contracts and have no obligations to the contracts. The NFL currently does this and it works quite well.

Edited by - Porkchop73 on 07/05/2009 09:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  10:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting throught, and maybe I'm being ignorant in this, but what does Detroit have that Edmonton doesn't? I mean, what is the cultural, entertainment, or geographic appeal to Detroit??? If there is one, please let me know.

The appeal to Detroit is winning. They just simply win. If a player goes to Detroit, they know they have a better shot than most at winning.

Once any team starts winning, they become more appealling. If Edmonton had made the playoffs and gone 2ndish round in the past three years rather than missing those playoffs, it would be more appealling for a player want to play in Edmonton.

I really think the City is a weak reason for any player and it's more of an excuse. As far as Edmonton goes, there are guys out there (Guerin and Weight come to mind) that have said nothing but good things about Edmonton. It really is a great city. However, I can totally appreciate a player from a bigger market (NY, TO, VAN, Cali, etc) that would not have the same entertainment in Edmonton. However, coming from Ottawa??? Weak.

Edited by - Beans15 on 07/05/2009 10:10:58
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  18:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with that statement Beans. I think it is very weak and of poor character to not want to make millions playing hockey just because of the city that the team is in.
As for your comments on Detroit as compared to Edmonton. I will have to say there is quite a bit more to be offered in Detroit that Edmonton. Especially if you are a millionaire hockey player. Its location likely being way more preferable over Edmonton. Personally I would take almost any city in Canada over Detroit but I am kind of small city type of guy anyway. And Ottawa I would put way below Edmonton of cities I would play in if given the choice. I think the fact that Edmonton is so far from most other large centers is a draw back for some NHLers.
Anyways, as much as I like Edmonton and its people, there is a truth that most Edmontonians must face. That is that Edmonton is not desirable city to live in just by reputation of being an Oil drillers, blue collar, way up north, cold city. It is viewed my most as a great place to visit but viewed by most as not the place they want to live. Not my personal opinion but one I hear constantly throughout Canada.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  06:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, not sure if I agree with "the city doesn't really matter" . . . here are the two most typical examples for NHL players:

1) Married family man
I am looking for an NHL city that has a nice area to live in with a safe community, good schools probably, and potentially some attractive qualities about the city that my family yearns for (scenic area, good weather, lots of shopping for the wife, close to mountains or beach or water, close to other major cities, etc). But first and foremost, looking for a good family environment and potentially nice features for kids.

2) Young single guy
I am looking for a big city to spend my big bucks in. Hopefully, the city has a thriving entertainment section, complete with hot clubs, private dens for the rich, and great after hour clubs and stripclubs. Also, it would help if it's a decent sized city with other stuff for me to do . . . and some golf courses around town would be good as well. Being close to other big cities would also be great.

Again - no offence intended against Edmonton, but it doesn't really cut the mustard in quite a few areas in both scenarios. And I would say that the city definitely does come into play . . . why do you think so many free agent superstars have drifted to places like LA and New York? Because they have it all, that's why.

I agree, Detroit doesn't rate that high either, except for the fact that they have consistently had a good team with a great chance to win the cup year after year. And, they are closer to other big cities. And, their winter isn't as bad. And, they have more entertainment options closer by, as bad as Detroit's downtown is.

Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  07:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think if Edmonton wants to attract some young guns...they should open a new division of nightclubs first. Maybe a couple condos as well, it's a start :)

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  07:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

I think if Edmonton wants to attract some young guns...they should open a new division of nightclubs first. Maybe a couple condos as well, it's a start :)

This is exactly what I get frustrated about. With all due respect, Rambo have you ever been to Edmonton??? Have you been to Edmonton in the last 5 years?? If you had, you would have noticed the 10-15 Luxury Condo Developments in the Downtown core. You would have noticed the land beside CN Tower being utilized for a Station Lands, which once complete will have 2.5 million square feet of retail, commercial, hotel, and residental space. The proposed new hockey arena will also be in this area.

Above this, Edmonton has more bars and restaurants (per capita) than any other city in North America. Whyte ave itself is 10-12 blocks of shops, pubs, night clubs, restaurants, etc. There are more than 100 golf courses within 1 hour of the City, Edmonton boasts the largest river front path system in North America as well. The U of A is annually one of the top schoools in the country, as well as NAIT, Grant MacEwan, and King's College. The Public and Catholic School systems are also highly regarded.

The one thing Edmonton can never get rid of is that it is cold in the winter. There is no doubt about that. And, if you are into alpine sports, Calgary is closer than Edmonton to the mountains.

And Slozo, as I said before, I agree complete. Even though Edmonton is improving, it's can't hold a candle to the major metropolitan areas. I've already agreed to that. All I was saying was the media paints Edmonton with a rather broad brush and a lot of their information is embelished or inaccurate.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  11:31:31  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

This is exactly what I get frustrated about. With all due respect, Rambo have you ever been to Edmonton??? Have you been to Edmonton in the last 5 years?? If you had, you would have noticed the 10-15 Luxury Condo Developments in the Downtown core. You would have noticed the land beside CN Tower being utilized for a Station Lands, which once complete will have 2.5 million square feet of retail, commercial, hotel, and residental space. The proposed new hockey arena will also be in this area.

Above this, Edmonton has more bars and restaurants (per capita) than any other city in North America. Whyte ave itself is 10-12 blocks of shops, pubs, night clubs, restaurants, etc. There are more than 100 golf courses within 1 hour of the City, Edmonton boasts the largest river front path system in North America as well. The U of A is annually one of the top schoools in the country, as well as NAIT, Grant MacEwan, and King's College. The Public and Catholic School systems are also highly regarded.

The one thing Edmonton can never get rid of is that it is cold in the winter. There is no doubt about that. And, if you are into alpine sports, Calgary is closer than Edmonton to the mountains.

And Slozo, as I said before, I agree complete. Even though Edmonton is improving, it's can't hold a candle to the major metropolitan areas. I've already agreed to that. All I was saying was the media paints Edmonton with a rather broad brush and a lot of their information is embelished or inaccurate.

None of the new towers Edm built have any Amenities. Downtown living in Condo's should have pools, stores, salons, basketball courts, court yards, squash, groceries and so on. I looked in Edm last month to buy a condo (Seemed like a good time to buy)They are all small town condos with no amenities and when I asked the realstate agent he said "we are not a big city and do not tailor to that style of living".

And the Edm mindset or lack of open mindset will be a big draw back.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  11:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ohh, but I have been to Edmonton :D lol Granted, all 3 trips were for business. The only entertainment I found was the Argos vs. Eskimos game at Commonwealth. Adding to the condo comments, find a comparison to the 70 storey condo's in Toronto or New York and then we'll talk about developments. Also, they have to be modern, roof-top pools, restaurants etc. Not just built for the sake of building.

Enough condo talk lol...either way, Edmonton is not a true "big city" image players look for. It's more like "big town"....

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  11:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok... well, during the season you should be worried about hockey, not clubs and bars. You are on the road for half the season anyways, and when the season ends you and your family/friends can hop on a plane and spend the millions of dollars you just made to go somewhere warm.
Hockey is supposed to be played in a cold environment anyways, so Dany, stop being a bitch and go to Edmonton.

problem solved.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  12:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said, people are making comment who have no back up to their comments.

And I never said Edmonton was competing with the likes of Toronto or New York. There are no 70 story buildings going up in downtown because Edmonton is not Toronto or New York. If people would actually read things, they would see that this will be the third time I have commented that compared to the large Metro areas, Edmonton does not compete. But get some facts before making posts. Seriously, one bad real estate agents makes the whole city into a weak market??? Please.

Obviously, I am getting as far in this as I was with the Balsillie thing. People continuously choose to not read and make comments about things they obviously know nothing about. Business trips into an area have about as much weight as my business trips into Oakville. I have very limited information so I don't make comments. But other feel their 15 minutes in a city gives them such insight. Complete joke.

Have fun.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  12:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oakville is sweet, the city is nice and there is no crime. Im still in scummy ass mississauga...

Ok Ok, sauga is pretty nice as well...

We need another team here lol

(Dont worry beans, dont let it drive you nuts. My best buddy moved out there a couple years ago and I cant wait to take in an oilers game with him)

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  13:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, with Montreal signing Kovalev to a 2 year deal today(reportedly $5 million a season) you have to assume that Heatley is still on his way out. Not sure how the Sens can afford the $5 million for Kovalev without dropping Heatley's $7.5 million.

I still say that the Edmonton deal is still the best one for Ottawa. And, if the two teams could agree to something now the $4 million bonus was paid, Heatley should eventually figure out that the Emdonton deal is the best one today.

Ultimately, if the Oilers were willing to pay Heatley the $4 million if the deal was done before July 1st, why can't the Oilers just add $4 million cash into the deal??? Is there something in the CBA or the NHL Charter that says money can't be part of trades???

If this does happen, the Edmonton fans and media will be on the fence, until Heatley does what he normally does (40ish goals, 90ish points) and the team goes to the Playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5435
( )

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  19:16:29  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ultimately, if the Oilers were willing to pay Heatley the $4 million if the deal was done before July 1st, why can't the Oilers just add $4 million cash into the deal??? Is there something in the CBA or the NHL Charter that says money can't be part of trades???

Yeah it was put in so you can't circumvent the revenue calculation issue. You know one owner paying another is revenue neutral so the players get "screwed".

Also it would be tricky to figure out how that payoff would count to the cap. Call it the Gretzky/Lindros clause.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  19:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing with this is that the money doesn't impact the cap. The cap number is the same with or without the $$. I'm not arguing the rules, but in a case like this, what's the harm in Ottawa cancelling their cheque to Heatley and Edmonton paying it???

I'm sure something can be worked out with the dollars. And I am pushing with my heart on this one. With Vancouver being the same team as last year with the exception of Ohlund but adding Samulsson, they will be as good or better. Minny added Havlat. We all know what Calgary did. Without a legitimate scorer, Edmonton simply does not complete. However, with the ability to threaten on every power play and having a sickly first line, they play with anyone in their division and win their share.

Edmonton needs Heatley or a player much like him. There aren't many available.

Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  04:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that Heatley wants to see more options than just the Oil, but I can't see anyone else coming up with the coin now. Kovalev signing is a sure indication that the Sens are done with Heatley's act.
I am not sure of Ottawas money situation but they were reluctant to do anything before Heatley was traded so now there has to be something up here to sign Kovalev and add another 5 mil/yr to there budget.
Maybe its because Heatley is from Calgary and there is that whole Calgary/Edmonton thing between its residents.
Anyways I don't think that the Sens will get a better offer then the one the recieved from the Oil.
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  05:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw that there is an E4 of heatley going to Columbus,if he does go this will give there team a boost,Nash and Heatley...pretty good.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Go to Top of Page

youpifan27
Top Prospect

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  05:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley is awesome dudes.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  05:15:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by youpifan27

Heatley is awesome dudes.

Heatley will have a hard time finding respect in any dressing room now. Score goals all you want, if no one wants to play with you, you're as good as sh't.

He'll have a 65-75 point season next year, at best.

Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2009 :  07:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brentrock2

I just saw that there is an E4 of heatley going to Columbus,if he does go this will give there team a boost,Nash and Heatley...pretty good.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Yeah i heard that on hockeybuzz.com
E4 almost done,Nash Heatley Huselius,would be a good line.
I'll roll the dice and guess Heatley is gone to Columbus.

PhillyFan12
Philly Rules!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page