Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Free-agent Frenzy Day....predictions?? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, tomorrow's like "christmas for GM's" (Toronto Sun)...

Do you have any predictions? Who goes where, what move(s) does your team make? Etc. Etc. Let's hear em' boys...and girls :) lol

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:24:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sedins to Toronto.

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm predicting that my beloved Leafs will pick up hometown boy Mike Cammelleri, Marian Gaborik (incentive based deal) and the "monster", Jonas Gustavsson....all by the end of the week :D

Cammy - 3 Year/$15.75 Million
Gabby - 2 Year/$4 Million + incentives, up to 6 Million/year
Gustavsson - 3 Year/$8.15 Million

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

Sedins to Toronto.

The Sedins are Plan B if Cammy doesn't sign lol

Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say the Sedins are Plan A.... They are each way better players then Cammelleri

Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

I would say the Sedins are Plan A.... They are each way better players then Cammelleri

Yea, but if they faulter down the road, you'd have to find a buyer for both. If you sign two other snipers, you can deal one and keep the other. Only knock on the Sedins play....

Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah but they are not going to faulter. As much as i dislike them they are consistent with eachother and great player. They wont need to be dealt....

Now on the other hand, Gaborik, two words come to mind, Inconsistent and injury prone. He might need to be dealt and is a huge gamble.
Now Cammy needs to be with a great top ten player in the league to do good. We saw when Keenan took him away from Iginla, he was a pylon, useless. He needs to be surrounded with great players to be great.
He wont break twenty five goals, I guarantee, if he is not with someone great, like the Sedins or Havlat.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bouwmeester tells Sutter to go fly a kite and signs with Edmonton. 5 year, $5.5 cap hit per season.

Oilers Trade Visnovsky, Horcoff, and a draft pick for Heatley.

Havlat, who really wants to stay in Chicago but wants a long term deal, signs with Edmonton for 4 years, $22 million.

Roloson resigns with Edmonton for 1 year, $3 million.

Edmonton takes a legitimate team into 09/10. Barring injuries, the NW is not out of reach.

That's not my prediction as much as it's my wish.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, but even if the Sedin's are hard to negotiate with they make up for it with the fact once signed you basically have an almost complete scoring line #1 or #2, depending on the prospective team. You dont even have to find a passer to compliment the scorer type situation which most of the free agents would need this year. The only other player which comes to mind is Havlat who could play with cut-out photo players and succeed.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  12:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Bouwmeester tells Sutter to go fly a kite and signs with Edmonton. 5 year, $5.5 cap hit per season.

Havlat, who really wants to stay in Chicago but wants a long term deal, signs with Edmonton for 4 years, $22 million.

Edmonton takes a legitimate team into 09/10. Barring injuries, the NW is not out of reach.

Bean's, you sound as jiddy as a school girl with that prediction. Come on man, you know Edmonton is not gonna get 3 of the top free agent or trade prospects this off season, right. Heatly maybe, Bouwmeester possibly, Havlat on the off chance, but all 3? Never gonna happen.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  13:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Genius...thats all I have to say. Lowe would easily win "Executive ofthe Year" if he could pull that off! lol

Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  13:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Yes, but even if the Sedin's are hard to negotiate with they make up for it with the fact once signed you basically have an almost complete scoring line #1 or #2, depending on the prospective team. You dont even have to find a passer to compliment the scorer type situation which most of the free agents would need this year. The only other player which comes to mind is Havlat who could play with cut-out photo players and succeed.

Also, I know you pretty much get a top line filled. However, if one of them goes down, the other is lost lol again, if at anytime a GM needs to clear cap space or trade to make the team better, unlike other situations in which you can trade off one of the top 2 players on your team, you'd have to ship both of them or neither. So it pretty much handcuffs any GM that signs them. On the other hand, two highly skilled players, throw them on a line with another scorer or passer, you can have 2 100 point players easily...

Go to Top of Page

Guest6765
( )

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  20:17:48  Reply with Quote
quote:

Beans, you got Heatley for very little my friend. Enjoy the top line of Gagner, Hemsky and Heatley
Go to Top of Page

Guest6583
( )

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  20:39:26  Reply with Quote
i wish the oilers would have thrown horcoff into the heatley trade but even as a throw in no one wants him
but oilers are better after this trade imo
needed it to keep up to flames movement
Go to Top of Page

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 06/30/2009 :  21:26:49  Reply with Quote
quote:

Edmonton can fufil 3 of these 4 lol. If we can get Havlat and Roli accepts his deal, we will be flying high

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  05:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good . . . not too late to chime in with my predictions - I had written something up yesterday (you'll have to believe me when I say I predicted that Bouwmeester would sign with Calgary at the last second).

* Sedin twins aren't signed by Vancouver, they are given an ok offer by Toronto (same money, a lot less years) and they eventually accept it when no other better offers come in. The Twins take Toronto!

* Burke also signs that Swedish goalie Gustavsson Eriksson Swedishson or whatever his non-hyphenated name is.

* Heatley traded to New York Rangers for who knows what . . . may be just a few spare parts and some picks at this point, as Bryan Murray gets desperate to avoid that 4 mil bonus (he has until midnight tonight!)

* Gaborik signs with the Islanders . . . suddenly, there is a buzz on the island.

* Cammalleri signs with . . . tough one, I'll say Toronto (I know, I know, may be wishful thinking).

* Havlat signs with the LA Kings . . . the time is now for the very talented but underachieving squad!

* Vancouver resigns Sundin, and loses out on every bid they make for a replacement for the Sedins

* Edmonton signs . . . Gionta. Great, another player who might barely get 60 points playing on the top line!

* Ottawa signs Kovalev, also comes up on the short end of the stick with anyone else they like.

. . . and that's all I got right now, folks!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  08:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I was wrong - Vancouver signed the twins, according to TSN breaking news coverage. 5 year deals for well over 6 mil . . .

You know, I have to say I am glad about this - I was never their biggest fan, and didn't want them coming to Toronto. I also think this makes it a lot more likely that Burke gives a very good offer to Cammalleri.

Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  08:37:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Good . . . not too late to chime in with my predictions - I had written something up yesterday (you'll have to believe me when I say I predicted that Bouwmeester would sign with Calgary at the last second).

* Sedin twins aren't signed by Vancouver, they are given an ok offer by Toronto (same money, a lot less years) and they eventually accept it when no other better offers come in. The Twins take Toronto!

* Burke also signs that Swedish goalie Gustavsson Eriksson Swedishson or whatever his non-hyphenated name is.

* Heatley traded to New York Rangers for who knows what . . . may be just a few spare parts and some picks at this point, as Bryan Murray gets desperate to avoid that 4 mil bonus (he has until midnight tonight!)

* Gaborik signs with the Islanders . . . suddenly, there is a buzz on the island.

* Cammalleri signs with . . . tough one, I'll say Toronto (I know, I know, may be wishful thinking).

* Havlat signs with the LA Kings . . . the time is now for the very talented but underachieving squad!

* Vancouver resigns Sundin, and loses out on every bid they make for a replacement for the Sedins

* Edmonton signs . . . Gionta. Great, another player who might barely get 60 points playing on the top line!

* Ottawa signs Kovalev, also comes up on the short end of the stick with anyone else they like.

. . . and that's all I got right now, folks!

Leafs have only $13 mill in cap space, they won't be able to afford Gustavsson, the Twins and Camalleri.

If Colorado has any brain in the organization, they will nab Gustavsson.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  05:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well, I was wrong - Vancouver signed the twins, according to TSN breaking news coverage. 5 year deals for well over 6 mil . . .

You know, I have to say I am glad about this - I was never their biggest fan, and didn't want them coming to Toronto. I also think this makes it a lot more likely that Burke gives a very good offer to Cammalleri.

oops sorry us habbers rained on that parade aswell!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  07:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I am glad the habs took him instead as well. No parade yet, although the band is warming up I am sure in Montreal, lol . . .

Montreal is turning into the NY Rangers of Canada. That only bodes well for the Leafers!

Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  07:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look forward to Gomez and Gionta not performing at the expected calibre at all. Cammy, good on yah buddy...

Most of all, Price won't stop anything for you guys....ahh, gunna love the Habs choking and missing the playoffs :D

Gomez - 50 Points (if lucky)
Gionta - same as Gomez
Cammelleri - 70 Points

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  08:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I don't understand is why you Leafs fans would have wanted Cammy in the first place. He is smallish and cannot really work much besides on the PK. I'm happy he is in Montreal, because I wouldn't really have wanted him here.

Really Pleased with Burke so far though. Mark my words, Garnet Exelby will suprise. He is hugely underrated, and although people tend to think of him as a one dimensional big hitter his defensive play, often good, is overlooked. And Mike Komisarek is another fantastic signing, adding toughness and defensive depth.

Great moves by Burke overall, sideways moves for Habs, and I have to like Calgary and Edmonton. Great moves Canada (except for Ottawa, but how much do yoi expect from the Sens).
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  09:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahahah Leaf fans before July 1 - "YES, come on Camalleri!", "Definitely getting Camalleri"

Leaf fans after the Habs nabbed him - "Oh, I'm glad, I didn't want him anyway... blah blah" that is embarrassing
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher17
Top Prospect

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn... Beat me to the punch Axey.
Leafs fans (most) are jokes. A week ago you guys are foaming at the mouth about how Burke is going to turn the franchise around with all his dealings at the draft and FA signings. Nows hes done nothing but sign the Habs "sloppy seconds" and hes still getting praised.
BTW weren't you the ones bashing Komisarek all of last year? Just remember, you still have to play Lucic 6 times next year.
And sorry, but I've watched quite a few Atlanta games over the years (probably a lot more than most people) and Exelby is a definate step down from Kubina skill wise. Only thing he does is take a lot of cheap shots at players.

Anyways... on to the Habs.
How can people be claiming their moves are a step sideways?
From the way it seems, Gomez, Gionta, and Cammalleri have replaced Tanguay, Kovalev, and Koivu. As a Habs fan, I am sad to see these guys go as, especially Koivu, they seemed like they belonged. However, from an objective standpoint, the Habs were in obvious need of a shake-up after last season, and although I'm not a big fan of these new guys (except Cammalleri) in terms of who they are, they are obviously a step up, as a whole, on the three others.
Gomez and Gionta have both come from very defensive minded teams (NYR, NJ) and therefore should be able to replicate their previous production. Cammalleri may see a drop off in points, but if he can find chemistry with a line he should be able to put up around 70.

Edited by - Thrasher17 on 07/02/2009 10:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

I look forward to Gomez and Gionta not performing at the expected calibre at all. Cammy, good on yah buddy...

Most of all, Price won't stop anything for you guys....ahh, gunna love the Habs choking and missing the playoffs :D

Gionta - same as Gomez
Cammelleri - 70 Points

Wow come on,,, im a habs fan but if the leafs had been in the same situation as the habs and burk had pulled this off you would all be calling for lord stanly, i'm about as level headed as a hab fan gets last year i called us to finish between 8th and 6th and said while we were in first place 2 years ago i told everyone this is a fluke! and that we were really a 5th to 6th place team,, now even if all these player put up 15 points less than last year they are still all each one of them better than the three on the out, there is no way we are any worse than last year so we will make the playoffs again and yeah unless burk gets to work the leafs do not have a team that can make the playoffs again,, and im not bashing the leafs burk made the right moves got tougher and didn;t try and win today because the leafs simply are building for the long haul as they should be and they had a terrific day yesterday but take your blinders off and admitt it the habs pulled something very good out of a bleak situation and are still a better team!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  11:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

Gionta - same as Gomez
Cammelleri - 70 Points

Wow come on,,, im a habs fan but if the leafs had been in the same situation as the habs and burk had pulled this off you would all be calling for lord stanly, i'm about as level headed as a hab fan gets last year i called us to finish between 8th and 6th and said while we were in first place 2 years ago i told everyone this is a fluke! and that we were really a 5th to 6th place team,, now even if all these player put up 15 points less than last year they are still all each one of them better than the three on the out, there is no way we are any worse than last year so we will make the playoffs again and yeah unless burk gets to work the leafs do not have a team that can make the playoffs again,, and im not bashing the leafs burk made the right moves got tougher and didn;t try and win today because the leafs simply are building for the long haul as they should be and they had a terrific day yesterday but take your blinders off and admitt it the habs pulled something very good out of a bleak situation and are still a better team!

Pasty

No, Cammelleri wouldn't have scored 80 in Toronto either. Even you have to admit, Gomez is playing for too much money. Would these same signings make the Leafs a cup contender, probably not, both teams are missing key pieces either way...

Go to Top of Page

Guest9655
( )

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  13:15:44  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gionta - same as Gomez
Cammelleri - 70 Points

Yeah, and Komi is going to make your defense a revolving door for opposing forwards. He sucked in Montreal, and he will definitely suck in TO!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9656
( )

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  13:24:54  Reply with Quote
As a Habs fan, I think the GM that did the best out there was Slats...Think about it. If he doesn't unload Gomez's contract to some poor slob (ahem, Gainey), he cannot pick up Gaborik. Not only does he get some very good prospects, but he is also able to land the big fish...why can't Gainey think like this? As a Habs fan I am on the fence with the overall outcome of the moves gainey made. I just wish he would have been able to land a bigger fish...
Go to Top of Page

Guest9262
( )

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  15:15:47  Reply with Quote
Gomez is a good player and he will fit well in Montreal where they like small skill players, but his contract is way overpaid. That's one thing bad about this deal but Montreal had the cap space anyway.

Cammellari is a good pick and I was really pissed when I saw him sign with the Habs because I was really hoping to see him in the Leafs uniform.

Gionta is good with Gomez but another 5 years contract for 5 millions or more. In the long term Montreal might hit a wall when they will have to re-sign there young prospects (Carey Price).

I liked that Toronto picked up Komisarek, I always like that guy, he was by far my favorite player in Montreal. About Komisarek maybe he had an off season last year but everything went wrong last year in Montreal. He will fit Toronto style of play just great and will improve as a Leaf.

I don't really like that they trade out Kubina for Exelby. Yeah they want to be bigger and physical but now they don't have a good point man to play on the powerplay with Kaberle. And plus they want to trade Kaberle so this trade kind of put a stick in there wheel. But this was somewhat of a good trade for the rebuilding and to clear off some cap space which was clearly Brian Burke's intention. Plus Kubina was starting to be really good in Toronto.

And as a Leafs fan I know that Montreal has a better team and they will probably make the playoffs unless everything goes wrong again. But they wont go far in the playoffs because they don't have size or grit. Boston, New Jersey or Philadelphia will make fun of them come playoffs time.

As for Toronto they have size they have grit, but they don't have any first liner or powerplay presence. But they have all the ingredients (except for goalie) to start the rebuilding. But they will probably fail to make the playoffs again, unless everything goes right.

Regular Season Habs over Leafs
Playoffs Leafs over Habs
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  16:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rambo you re 100 % right ez for 8 is tough but its was a bad situation and i think as long as gomez finds dome chemistry with his linemates and puts up 65 points a year i will be happy with that of course i would rather him at 4 to 5 million
but we live in tough hockey markets and i rather have Gomez at 8 than kovalev at 6 if you catch my drift

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  22:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher17

Leafs fans (most) are jokes. A week ago you guys are foaming at the mouth about how Burke is going to turn the franchise around with all his dealings at the draft and FA signings. Nows hes done nothing but sign the Habs "sloppy seconds" and hes still getting praised.
BTW weren't you the ones bashing Komisarek all of last year? Just remember, you still have to play Lucic 6 times next year.
And sorry, but I've watched quite a few Atlanta games over the years (probably a lot more than most people) and Exelby is a definate step down from Kubina skill wise. Only thing he does is take a lot of cheap shots at players.

From the way it seems, Gomez, Gionta, and Cammalleri have replaced Tanguay, Kovalev, and Koivu. As a Habs fan, I am sad to see these guys go as, especially Koivu, they seemed like they belonged. However, from an objective standpoint, the Habs were in obvious need of a shake-up after last season, and although I'm not a big fan of these new guys (except Cammalleri) in terms of who they are, they are obviously a step up, as a whole, on the three others.
Gomez and Gionta have both come from very defensive minded teams (NYR, NJ) and therefore should be able to replicate their previous production. Cammalleri may see a drop off in points, but if he can find chemistry with a line he should be able to put up around 70.

We are 100% on the same page here. I completely agree. A few years back when Gionta had 39 goals or whatever it was, guess who his centermen was? Gomez. I am seeing what Gainey is seeing and I like it. I hope the chemistry ignites again, especially with Camalleri on that line presumabley as well.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  22:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher17

We are 100% on the same page here. I completely agree. A few years back when Gionta had 39 goals or whatever it was, guess who his centermen was? Gomez. I am seeing what Gainey is seeing and I like it. I hope the chemistry ignites again, especially with Camalleri on that line presumabley as well.

Ahh..... I doubt it.
This is three small guys on your first line, i cant see them putting up good numbers, I can just see them getting pushed all over. You gotta have a little bit of size on each lineup. Cammy is small and a one way player with little grit. I know the other two arent quite as one way but they still with this little size will struggle in their own end and struggle with the physical factor. But you never know maybe next years NHL will have no hitting (no chance).
Sorry Habs fans but your two small.

Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  05:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Rambo you re 100 % right ez for 8 is tough but its was a bad situation and i think as long as gomez finds dome chemistry with his linemates and puts up 65 points a year i will be happy with that of course i would rather him at 4 to 5 million
but we live in tough hockey markets and i rather have Gomez at 8 than kovalev at 6 if you catch my drift

Pasty

Yea, it's funny how in most markets, overpaid players hear it non-stop, but in a market like Toronto or Montreal, they do one thing good, they're gods, one thing bad, public enemy #1! Perfect example, Bryan McCabe, no way he's worth $7 Million. He has one good season, signs the big contract, he's a the poster boy for the Leafs. Next season, scores a couple goals on his own net that turned out to be game-winners for the other team, literally run out of Toronto. Another example, Jeff "f'ckn" Finger, how he managed to get 3.5 out of Fletcher, is confusing, probably dated his daughter. But yea, even if Gomez puts up 60+ points, 7.5 is a BIG number lol...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page