Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Hossa Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  11:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hossa Signs with CHI 12 yrs $62.8 million!!!!
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283428

Wow! Thats seems like a good price for a guy like Hossa. And that also makes Chi a very skilled offensive team.
But can they make a serious run next year with Huet in net?

Edited by - lyall on 07/01/2009 12:36:09

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  11:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prediction:
Chicago makes the final next year, but loses. Hossa retires in disgust.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  11:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chicago is in deep trouble in the future!
Kane/Toews one of them will be gone in the future along with one of their top 4 Defencemen.
They are in deep trouble. They have a great team and their only problem is goaltending. I can see them make a run. This is the only year that they will have a great team so they better win it this year, because alot of core players will be gone in 2010 FAs.

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  05:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
12 Years??? Seriously? Like Hockster said, pretty sure they'll be back in the slums of the NHL within a couple years, then Hossa will pull a Heatley...

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Guest5382
( )

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  06:24:31  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambo2305

12 Years??? Seriously? Like Hockster said, pretty sure they'll be back in the slums of the NHL within a couple years, then Hossa will pull a Heatley...

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford

Nope. The contract is heavily front loaded. By year 7 or 8, he will be bought out.
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like a huge contract to throw down, they're going to have trouble keeping their young core together in the next few years I think...
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still don't understand this signing, especially when they could have gotten Havlat cheaper for half the years.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hossa's a better player than Havlat. Sure, he tanked in the Playoffs, but he lead the Red Wings in goals last season. He's also far less injury proned through his career.

And, at the end of the day the deals is for virtually the same cap his in dollars ($230,000 different) but the Hossa deal is a lot easier to buy out towards the end.

However, I see this as opening the door for a fairly big trade in the next year in Chicago. There is no way they keep Kane, Toews, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, and the likes with Hossa and Campbell's contracts.

Some of those pieces have to move for picks and prospects. I say Chicago goes for a Cup this year, and does some serious restructuring next summer.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Hossa's a better player than Havlat. Sure, he tanked in the Playoffs, but he lead the Red Wings in goals last season. He's also far less injury proned through his career.

And, at the end of the day the deals is for virtually the same cap his in dollars ($230,000 different) but the Hossa deal is a lot easier to buy out towards the end.

However, I see this as opening the door for a fairly big trade in the next year in Chicago. There is no way they keep Kane, Toews, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, and the likes with Hossa and Campbell's contracts.

Some of those pieces have to move for picks and prospects. I say Chicago goes for a Cup this year, and does some serious restructuring next summer.

I wouldnt even say he flopped in the playoffs, he didnt put up the numbers but he was great defensively and sometimes you can still be one of the best players in the series without putting up stats and he was. And the reason for them getting him over Havlat is Havlat is a one way player, Hossa is a two way.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And, at the end of the day the deals are for virtually the same cap his in dollars ($230,000 different) but the Hossa deal is a lot easier to buy out towards the end.

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't forget key players like Kris Versteeg, Troy Brouwer, Dave Bolland are RFA's next year. Then the year after they have to resign the likes of Johnathon Toews, Patrick Kane, Andrew Ladd, Jack Skillie and Duncan Keith.

Ouch
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  11:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I give it 4 years until Hossa wants out. Once they lose either Kane or Toews (eventually they will), he'll want to go somewhere else to win a cup...

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  18:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hossa signing messed up what could have been a really good thing for a really long time. Now it's an incredible thing for a short period of time.

I think that as time goes by, Toews will emerge above the rest as the clear cut face of this franchise. If they could have got him and Kane to buy into the idea of signing deals similar to what's going on with Datsyuk and Zetterberg in Detroit, this team would be set. But no ways will they accept making less than Hossa, nor should they.

As time moves on, a rebuild-on-the-fly might see trading Campbell and shopping for a bonafide number one goaltender (not that there are that many sitting on their couches waiting by the phone, so it's easier said than done.) It's important that they keep Kane, Toews, Seabrook and Keith rather than go shop for free agents on upcoming July 1sts, but that's very hard given the Hossa signing. I'm a fan of keeping what you have, not trading it away. Future cap money belongs on current roster guys.
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  20:33:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone should definately sign Versteeg to an offer sheet at around $3M. It is unlikely Chicago could afford it, and as long it does not exceed 3 million all that has to be given up is a 2nd round pick.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  22:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pensfan17

Someone should definately sign Versteeg to an offer sheet at around $3M. It is unlikely Chicago could afford it, and as long it does not exceed 3 million all that has to be given up is a 2nd round pick.

Do i see a Kevan Lowesque move?
He would be an alright fit in Edmonton, cant say he is the only piece to the puzzle but he would be one of the many.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page