Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Gainey vs Burke Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2009 :  19:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9262

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9262

quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

one thing I don't count Price or Toskala solid number 1 goaltenders, they both suck and can't handle the pressure of playing for a media based team such as Toronto or Montreal, I don't even think they have proven themselves that they are good enough to take the pressure of being solid and steady number one goalie... I'd trade Toskala to Montreal any day for Halak, why? Halak is by far Montreals better goalie... Who would play more? Price or Toskala if they were on the same team? Sounds like a nightmare to me, two of the most consistantly horrible goalies in the NHL today

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP

Toskala had a bad season last year because of injury and an aweful defense in front of him. He still have a lot to prove. If Gustaffson plays well and put a lot of pressure for the starting job, Toskala will bounce back.

As for Price he has one so so season at 21. He got way too much critics, The fans to boo him in the playoffs was such a classeless move (same with booing the Star Spangled Banner twice). He's still really young and has a tone of potentials. Price will bounce back. The problem is Gainey gave him too much responsabilities at such a young age. But for sure Price is Montreal best futur star and they need to build around him.

Halak will be use for trading bait.

I forgot to say

If Montreal fans continue to boo him, he will ask for a trade and win a Stanley Cup somewhere else.

as a backup

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  07:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So... the Habs are a cup contender yet, you dont consider them a threat...?

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  09:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, I'm trying to figure that one out too, as well, also!!!
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  11:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, i was just saying that they will probably make the playoffs(therefore be a cup contender)but will not b a big threat in the playoffs. sorry if i mixed up my words and confused u guys
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  13:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I see" said the blind man

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 08/19/2009 13:23:01
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  13:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am f***ing jonesing for some damn hockey! Oct 1st, Gainey vs Burke! I mean.... Montreal vs Toronto!

Burke was on the radio today saying he was saving his cap space to acquire a forward (probably in the 3-5mil range) via trade involving one of his defenceman (and something else i'd imagine). I immediatley thought of Marleau but then I remembered what happened the last time he played for Wilson....

Is there any team out there looking to dump salary and are willing to part with a top 6 forward...? Kessel comes to mind again if they cant sign him in Boston....

Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  18:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

I am f***ing jonesing for some damn hockey! Oct 1st, Gainey vs Burke! I mean.... Montreal vs Toronto!

Burke was on the radio today saying he was saving his cap space to acquire a forward (probably in the 3-5mil range) via trade involving one of his defenceman (and something else i'd imagine). I immediatley thought of Marleau but then I remembered what happened the last time he played for Wilson....

Is there any team out there looking to dump salary and are willing to part with a top 6 forward...? Kessel comes to mind again if they cant sign him in Boston....

I'm assuming that the Leafs are going to keep Komi, Kabby, Beauchemin, Schenn and Exelby, three are offseason pickups and Burke has said that Schenn and Kaberle aren't going anywhere. I'm also going to assume that Stralman isn't going anywhere. That leaves Finger(3.5 million),Van Ryn (2.9 million) and the Frog guy (about 1 million). White at 850,000 is a steal for a guy who can play up front or watch the blueline, I don't think that he will go anywhere either as he fits well into the Burke model. Finger and Van Ryn are overpaid, and I dont think that either are worth a top 6 forward unless they can be packaged with something to spice up the deal. A team that trades for them isn't taking much of a salary dump if that is their motivation. Kaberle would be the best to move if they want a true top 6 forward, and in moving him I would think that they should actually land a top 3 forward. This is not too hard to accomplish given that the Leafs don't really have a true top line in comparison to say 80% of the other teams in the NHL.

Another problem is the fact that there are atleast 2 other teams that would like to move a dman or two (Tamp Bay has 8-9 dmen with 1 way NHL contracts while Chicago has been looking to move one of their dmen to dump some salary as well). So the ability to get a quality top 6 forward is going to be hampered by the saturation of available dmen. The following teams could use some help on D but they each have their own issues when it comes to the Leafs wanting to bolster their forward corp:

Islanders--- who the hell would want one of their available players...Trent Hunter? Doug Weight? I dont think so.

Preds--- Maybe Dumont, but then again he needs a scoring center to be effective and the Leafs don't have that. If the Leafs could land Arnottt it would be a good pick up. Erat and Legwand are overpais at 4.5 as well (maybe not Erat but I don't think that he fits into Burke's model of rough and tumble)

CBJ--- they could use some depth on d but other than Umberger I don't see a good fit there.

Panthers---I dont see them moving Horton and Stillman doesn't fit Burke's criteria, although they might part with Weiss for the right package, unlikely though.

The Wild--- they need help on d but who on the roster would they part with that is a good fit for the Leafs?

The Kings-- looking at their d you would think that they would like to have more of a veteran presence to help the young guys and they have a few players that could help the Leafs out. Maybe Finger could be packaged for Stoll or Handzus?

I see the Leafs having to put together a nice package to move a dman. Overall, their best shot in upgrading the O by moving a D is through moving Kaberle but then again who is going to make that first pass out of the zone to the top 6 forward with him gone? Beauchemin can only play so many minutes.....

Go to Top of Page

Seventy7Fifty2
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  19:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

He's talking crap as usual...
He has "D" that anyone wants from that team!!
The only possible D is TK - and he's way over-rated by Burke, so YOU keep him.
Burke's only throwing more bait (again) into waters with no fish.
What a moron.
Go to Top of Page

Seventy7Fifty2
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  19:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

one thing I don't count Price or Toskala solid number 1 goaltenders, they both suck and can't handle the pressure of playing for a media based team such as Toronto or Montreal, I don't even think they have proven themselves that they are good enough to take the pressure of being solid and steady number one goalie... I'd trade Toskala to Montreal any day for Halak, why? Halak is by far Montreals better goalie... Who would play more? Price or Toskala if they were on the same team? Sounds like a nightmare to me, two of the most consistantly horrible goalies in the NHL today

Typical half-a** comment by Leafs Fan.
You only have it half right, which is the part about Toskala sucking as a #1.
And to top it off, change you quote at the end... it over 40 years old now!!!
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  20:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seventy7Fifty2

quote:

He's talking crap as usual...
He has "D" that anyone wants from that team!!
The only possible D is TK - and he's way over-rated by Burke, so YOU keep him.
Burke's only throwing more bait (again) into waters with no fish.
What a moron.

Maybe Burke is asking to much for Kaberle but I don't think he is overrated. His 4.25million contract is probably the best signing by the Leafs in a long time. He is by far the best value in the NHL imo.
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2009 :  20:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seventy7Fifty2

quote:

Typical half-a** comment by Leafs Fan.
You only have it half right, which is the part about Toskala sucking as a #1.
And to top it off, change you quote at the end... it over 40 years old now!!!

Neither Price nor Toskala suck. They are both good goalies coming off of mediocre and injury shortened seasons. I expect both to rebound but still think that Price is the better of the two. He will only improve with experience.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  06:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stralman has already been traded.

Kaberle's NTC has kicked back in and Burke has stated that he will start the season as a Leaf so it won't be Kaberle.

It will most likley be Van Ryn, Finger or White. White is cheap and effective so I doubt Burke wants to deal him, but I bet he would trade him if the right deal was on his desk.

I wouldn't be surprised if he packaged White and a 2nd(maybe the Calgary pick that he acquired in the Stralman trade) for a forward. I dont see him getting a top 6 forward for one of his extra D stright up. Van Ryn would be a good trade deadline acquisition for a club as his salary comes off the books at the end of the season. He would have to play a good stretch of injury free hockey before someone would take him on (imo). Finger just makes too much, I can't see a club taking him on unless they are desperate for a 5th D making 3 mil...

7752 - When Burke makes a deal (big or small) involving a dman will you come back here and admit that it was indeed, you, who was talking crap?

Also, your comments are just as half assed as Hanleys. You just insult people then claim victory... then cry when someone insults you...

Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  07:25:09  Reply with Quote
mr roberts,
when i say Gainey wins... I DO NOT WIN.. he does.
Unlike some leaf fans who think THEY win when leafs win or THEY get insulted when anyone insults the leafs.

As i said before, this is about Gainey and Burke, try to keep your emotions out of it, and stop taking things personally when anyone mentions Burke's moves, Toronto media, Toronto in general, etc...!!
...grow up...
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  11:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dude, i swear you are completley oblivious to your own comments.

You call Hanleys comments "A typical half assed leaf fan comment". Than i say the SAME THING to you, and you get all emotional.

Hab fans gets just as invested in the team as leaf fans do. I see lots of people refer to their favorite team as "we" not as "they".

When i say "claiming victory" i meant for gainey, not you. Dont get so bent out of shape when i shoot down all of your ridiculous statements.

Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  13:04:02  Reply with Quote
quote:

dude, i swear you are completley oblivious to your own comments.

You call Hanleys comments "A typical half assed leaf fan comment". Than i say the SAME THING to you, and you get all emotional.

Hab fans gets just as invested in the team as leaf fans do. I see lots of people refer to their favorite team as "we" not as "they".

When i say "claiming victory" i meant for gainey, not you. Dont get so bent out of shape when i shoot down all of your ridiculous statements.

This will be my last response to you, mr. roberts, since you will never understand.

You call Hanleys comments "A typical half assed leaf fan comment".
Yes, he made a comment that a typical leaf fans would make - i said nothing personal against him. If anyone takes that personnaly, like i said before, that's your problem.

Yes, but how does that make me insult you? And how does that make me contradict myself or make me oblivious to myself?

Not true, you're a liar, here's what you said:
... You just insult people then claim victory...

So like I said before, grow up. Try not to take things personally when it comes to your beloved leafs, since you lose all logic in your responses, and you even tend to stretch the truth at times.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2253
( )

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  15:04:47  Reply with Quote
Ok 7752, you're always deriving the discussion from the actual Burke vs Gainey thread that you actually made. And when we answer to your comments, you're like stay on topic this is about Burke vs Gainey and not me against you and blah blah blah.

Also why are your answers to everything is Don't get emotionnal, your emotions are taking over. You take everything personnally more then anybody on this board. You are definatly trying to get a reaction from people by telling them off by pointing out stuff that you actually preach. You are a troll on this board so it's either we ignore your comments or somebody bans you.

And please stop insulting my hockey team and the fans or the city they play in or the logo or the name. OUAAAHHHH OUAAAAHHHH OUAAAAAHHHH
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  15:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2253

Ok 7752, you're always deriving the discussion from the actual Burke vs Gainey thread that you actually made. And when we answer to your comments, you're like stay on topic this is about Burke vs Gainey and not me against you and blah blah blah.

Also why are your answers to everything is Don't get emotionnal, your emotions are taking over. You take everything personnally more then anybody on this board. You are definatly trying to get a reaction from people by telling them off by pointing out stuff that you actually preach. You are a troll on this board so it's either we ignore your comments or somebody bans you.

And please stop insulting my hockey team and the fans or the city they play in or the logo or the name. OUAAAHHHH OUAAAAHHHH OUAAAAAHHHH

7752 is not representative of all Habs fans. Don't let him bring us down. Just like Matt Roberts. He is not indicative of all Leaf fans. Just most of them. j/k
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2009 :  17:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Stralman has already been traded.

Kaberle's NTC has kicked back in and Burke has stated that he will start the season as a Leaf so it won't be Kaberle.

It will most likley be Van Ryn, Finger or White. White is cheap and effective so I doubt Burke wants to deal him, but I bet he would trade him if the right deal was on his desk.

I wouldn't be surprised if he packaged White and a 2nd(maybe the Calgary pick that he acquired in the Stralman trade) for a forward. I dont see him getting a top 6 forward for one of his extra D stright up. Van Ryn would be a good trade deadline acquisition for a club as his salary comes off the books at the end of the season. He would have to play a good stretch of injury free hockey before someone would take him on (imo). Finger just makes too much, I can't see a club taking him on unless they are desperate for a 5th D making 3 mil...

7752 - When Burke makes a deal (big or small) involving a dman will you come back here and admit that it was indeed, you, who was talking crap?

Also, your comments are just as half assed as Hanleys. You just insult people then claim victory... then cry when someone insults you...

I dont think that White plus a second rder lands you a top six forward. Maybe a third line grinder, but why give up the pick if you already have White for that role. It will have to be Van Ryn or Finger plus a pick in the 2nd or 3rd rd to garner a 2nd line player.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  09:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ill put a little more effort into my comments from now on.

7752 and redneck - no more fightin, sorry boys.

Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2009 :  10:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Ian White is one of the hidden gems on the Leafs D. He really just hasn't been utilized correctly, but he has awesome offensive abilities and isn't scared to throw his weight around. He has more value playing on that team then he would in a trade, you'll never get much for him.
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

I think that Ian White is one of the hidden gems on the Leafs D. He really just hasn't been utilized correctly, but he has awesome offensive abilities and isn't scared to throw his weight around. He has more value playing on that team then he would in a trade, you'll never get much for him.

Why won't this thread die? Everyone knows that Burke doesn't really run the team. J/K, just trying to get this thread going again.

I'd say that Gillis has made some fantastic moves this offseason. He may have done better than BOTH Gainey and Burke, and he's not done yet. I say he moves C.Schneider and Salo (or Bieksa) for a prospect or and pick, resigns Sundin and the Canucks lose to the underdog Habs in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in Vancouver. I can't wait to watch the city burn!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  20:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Redneck . . . gotta hand it to ya, you've done a good job of reviving this thread. Some good comments all around, actually.

Not that I agree with them all.

Specifically, White. Someone always overpays for a young, tough-playing d-man with some offensive upside. For his age, he is way ahead of the curve. That being said, some good points were made about a few other teams looking to offload extra defencemen like Chitown.

I actually think that Burke is waiting for the right deal, for a Kessel type player (young, high potential scoring threat who is not a sissy), if not Kessel himself. The cards are in Burke's favour, and he knows it . . . he is one smart dude, and he's got the self-confidence to ignore the urgings of a crazy Toronto market and outwait everyone until they become desperate. The season will start with this group, I predict, but by the time some teams start badly out of the gate or lose key d-men to injury, Burke will be there with Finger, Van Ryn and White - for the right player. I say we have a true top three forward by Christmas through a trade.

I am desperately hoping for a couple of injuries to the Boston D, to get the man Kessel himself for White, Finger and a prospect. We'll see what the cards tell us . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  22:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
White is not young at age 25. He may be tough, but no one is going to overpay for him with only 26pts in 71 games, with at least a dozen of those games at forward. Is White valuable? Yes. But even if packaged with Finger and a pick he won't garner a top three forward. Not only that the Bruins can't afford to take on too much salary as they only have a little wiggle room. Also, Kessel needs to be moved before the season starts cuz if Boston signs him, they will be way over the cap. No Kessel to Toronto unless it happens before the season starts as Boston will have to find a way to get under the cap if they do.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  05:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
White IS young at 25, how young does a d-man have to be these days? The prime years tend to be a bit later for defencemen, and I don't think he has entered those years yet . . . I say his prime years begin at about 26, 27, and run through to 32-34. Then, most likely, a gradual decline predicated mostly on skating ability. If White still has ten to 15 years left in his career . . . I cannot understand how you say he is not young.

26 points in 71 games on the Leafs is very good. He got 3 goals, 4 assists in 8 games playing as a third line forward, before being moved to defence. He finished the year +6 . . . any player who in the end is playing big minutes against usually the top line and finishes up +6 for the year on a team that had a goal differential of -43 is simply amazing. The kid can play, and he clearly found his groove from about the mid point of the season onward.

Damned straight White is valuable! What will teams pay for young defencemen who are already solid defensively with a bit of offensive upside? If packaged with another defenceman and a good third-liner, I contend a first line player can be had (not a Heatley, but a Kessel perhaps), especially if the team is over the cap and under pressure to deal.

So yeah, you are right, I forgot Boston has to deal Kessel because they would be over the cap at the moment. This puts Boston in a position of weakness, and Toronto remains in a position of strength as long as the GM doesn't bow to the usual Toronto media pressure of making everything happen right away. Burke has been steadfast so far in his plan, and I know he does like Kessel a lot, and he has already shown that even for a talent like Kessel who he likes, he will not overpay (as was offered at the trade deadline).

So: Boston would need cheap players in return with decent value, and White is just one of those players. So is Tlusty and John Mitchell. And picks are very cheap.

Burke wins again!

Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:31:19  Reply with Quote
that's right.....
of all the teams to deal kessel to, Boston would deal him to Toronto...!!
Keep dreaming leaf fans
Go to Top of Page

Guest2770
( )

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  04:24:34  Reply with Quote
Have to sgree. There is no way Kessel is going to a northeast team, especially if Boston has to dump him becuase of salary. I could see him going out west for a packsge of picks. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd rounder.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  22:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree that I am dreaming a bit about the possibility of Toronto getting Kessel . . . but if Beantown (that's Boston, since you don't know about that, 7752) gets desperate about only getting some picks for Kessel (to stay cheap under the cap but get at least something in return) . . . well, who knows what magic Burke can conjure up?

You forget, oh faithful, that the Kessel deal was good to go if Toronto overpaid by dealing Kaberle and Schenn . . . if things get desperate, and instead of getting picks Boston can land a 3rd or 4th defenceman in White that is a proven, good commodity - who says a deal can't be made (with picks on the side, probably)?

Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  00:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I have to agree that I am dreaming a bit about the possibility of Toronto getting Kessel . . . but if Beantown (that's Boston, since you don't know about that, 7752) gets desperate about only getting some picks for Kessel (to stay cheap under the cap but get at least something in return) . . . well, who knows what magic Burke can conjure up?

You forget, oh faithful, that the Kessel deal was good to go if Toronto overpaid by dealing Kaberle and Schenn . . . if things get desperate, and instead of getting picks Boston can land a 3rd or 4th defenceman in White that is a proven, good commodity - who says a deal can't be made (with picks on the side, probably)?

On Boston's depth chart at D, White is at best #5. I think Burke has something up his sleeve though. Check out TSN.ca.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  19:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Guest 7752, and Guest 2770:

You were just plain wrong!
Burke stole away Montreal's toughest young defenceman, a guy who would have been in the running for captain if he had stayed with the Habs; and now they took away Kessel from the powerhouse Bruins in their division as well.

I know, I know . . . you'll never apologise publicly, but: you'll always be able to hide behind anonymity, so no worries!

Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  21:18:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

To Guest 7752, and Guest 2770:

You were just plain wrong!
Burke stole away Montreal's toughest young defenceman, a guy who would have been in the running for captain if he had stayed with the Habs; and now they took away Kessel from the powerhouse Bruins in their division as well.

I know, I know . . . you'll never apologise publicly, but: you'll always be able to hide behind anonymity, so no worries!

They definitely took away Komi but they traded for Kessel. Hardly taking away. Good move on Boston's side and good move on Burke. Boston gets a top ten pick next year and then the following year somewhere in the late teens or early twenties. Considering Boston stands to lose some more talent with contracts up next year, the picks will help replenish the team. For Burke, the team acquires their first true top line player and a potential 50 goal scorer for 3 picks that may have not amounted to anything. Considering what Foppa, Hossa and Tkachuk went for as rental players this is a good trade off for the Leafs. They don't need the picks, they have some good young forwards developing making the picks expendable. I still foresee Burke moving a Dman and maybe someone else to shore up the top line. A veteran center might do the trick.....Kessel Allison Stempniak?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  21:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed Redneck. Above the TO picks, Boston get their own picks as well. In the next two draft, Boston will have 4 of the top 60 players and 6 in the top 120. Might not sound like much, but that's how teams like Detroit stayed good for a decade.

It wasn't one sided at all. Both teams got exactly what they were looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2764
( )

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  04:34:31  Reply with Quote
No hiding here Slozo. I admit I was wrong. I really didn't believe the Bruins would make a inter division trade. However I also never thought they would get 2 first round picks either. Toronto wins in the short term will see in a few years if it was a great move by buke.I was guest 2770
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:34:34  Reply with Quote
Interesting Stats for all Burke / Leaf followers:

Since Gainey had made moves that more or less the Leaf fans equate as a creation of a "small" team that will be bounced around by most other teams, especially the mightly Leafs that Burke created - here are some intersting numbers for y'all Leaf fans to consider:

- Montreal with (4) games in, has OUT-HIT opponents by 80 hits to 67 hits.
- Toronto with (3) games in, has been OUT-HIT by opponents by 99 hits to 71 hits !!!!
- In particular, Montreal OUT-HIT Toronto last week by 37 Hits to 22 hits!!!

Way to build a threatening team Burke!!!! Yeah!!!!
But Leafs fans don't see this or hear about it, because the media didn't tell them...
And yes, Gainey once again out-smarts Burke!
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  10:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

Interesting Stats for all Burke / Leaf followers:

Since Gainey had made moves that more or less the Leaf fans equate as a creation of a "small" team that will be bounced around by most other teams, especially the mightly Leafs that Burke created - here are some intersting numbers for y'all Leaf fans to consider:

- Montreal with (4) games in, has OUT-HIT opponents by 80 hits to 67 hits.
- Toronto with (3) games in, has been OUT-HIT by opponents by 99 hits to 71 hits !!!!
- In particular, Montreal OUT-HIT Toronto last week by 37 Hits to 22 hits!!!

Way to build a threatening team Burke!!!! Yeah!!!!
But Leafs fans don't see this or hear about it, because the media didn't tell them...
And yes, Gainey once again out-smarts Burke!

well, i knew that and im upset about it. the leafs havent been what ive expected so far and i hope it changed. i dont need the media to tell me to check the gamesheets....

Go to Top of Page

Guest9655
( )

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  03:49:51  Reply with Quote
This thread is getting more spectacular the longer the leafs go without a single win. There seems to be a legitimate chance that the leafs will end up giving a first overall pick + 2 more picks for phil kessel. Boston absolutely robbed Toronto blind on that deal. I liked where burke was going with the team prior to the Kessel deal, by the way. No need to panic, ride out a few bad years with solid draft picks (Schenn, Kadri) and acquiring young talent (the monster).

Too bad Burke jumped the gun and sold the farm to get one undersized, injury-prone guy who has one season with 36 goals.... and one with 19. And that was with one of the premier playmakers in the league (savard) setting him up.... Its going to be a long, painful year(s) for leaf nation im afraid. Burke screwed up badly, how badly will only become clear with time.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6591
( )

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  08:29:53  Reply with Quote
whick team has burke not srewed up?
why did leafs think he'd do any good in toronto?
sorry leaf fans, it back to square one next year - kick burke & wilson out and start all over again
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  08:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9655

This thread is getting more spectacular the longer the leafs go without a single win. There seems to be a legitimate chance that the leafs will end up giving a first overall pick + 2 more picks for phil kessel. Boston absolutely robbed Toronto blind on that deal. I liked where burke was going with the team prior to the Kessel deal, by the way. No need to panic, ride out a few bad years with solid draft picks (Schenn, Kadri) and acquiring young talent (the monster).

Too bad Burke jumped the gun and sold the farm to get one undersized, injury-prone guy who has one season with 36 goals.... and one with 19. And that was with one of the premier playmakers in the league (savard) setting him up.... Its going to be a long, painful year(s) for leaf nation im afraid. Burke screwed up badly, how badly will only become clear with time.

wow, where to go with this.

first of all, there is a good chance that none of those picks the leafs gave up ever turn into anything even close to as good as Phil Kessel. Wait and see before passing this final judgement on the deal. Boston lost its #1 goal scorer and best young player. Marc Savard isnt nearly as effective without a bonifide sniper beside him.

Obviously the leafs look like s*** right now but the last time i checked you dont end the season until all 82 games are played. And you dont judge traded involving draft picks until the picks are at least selected and given a couple years to develop.

Anyways, keep the leaf bashing coming

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  08:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the season is 82 games long and it is still early, but it is dangerously close to hitting the panic button.

10 pts out of the playoffs is VERY difficult to dig out from at any time. Look at the Senators last year. Their first 20 games were horrible. After than, they were average and between Feb and April, they were the best team in the league. They still finished out of the playoffs!

Bottom line, the Burke did a bit of a gamble on Kessel and until he plays, produces, and the Leafs improve, it isn't looking like much of a deal.

If ANY of the picks turn into a top 5 pick, it's a great deal for Boston. I know there are the Daigles and Falloons out there. But face it, the vast majority of players picked in the top 5-10 become bonified NHL players.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  09:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I agree that the season is 82 games long and it is still early, but it is dangerously close to hitting the panic button.

10 pts out of the playoffs is VERY difficult to dig out from at any time. Look at the Senators last year. Their first 20 games were horrible. After than, they were average and between Feb and April, they were the best team in the league. They still finished out of the playoffs!

Bottom line, the Burke did a bit of a gamble on Kessel and until he plays, produces, and the Leafs improve, it isn't looking like much of a deal.

If ANY of the picks turn into a top 5 pick, it's a great deal for Boston. I know there are the Daigles and Falloons out there. But face it, the vast majority of players picked in the top 5-10 become bonified NHL players.

I hear ya beans, im just trying to stay optimistic for the sake of my sanity. I have all but given up on playoffs already which really pisses me off because I was hoping for an exciting season with the playoff window being open until at least late march early april. I just want a win....

Im still hoping that a) the picks arent any higher than 10....
and b) Phil Kessel is the best hockey player out of any of the 3 guys that Boston will get. As long as Kessel turns out to be the best of the bunch, it will be ok for me.

But yes, there is no doubt that the leafs are already knocking on deaths door and its only october but I still think they will string together some wins and start to at least push towards .500

I just want to remind everyone that the leafs are a loss away from tying the all time consecutive loss record se by the... ahem.... 1967 maple leafs.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  09:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6591

whick team has burke not srewed up?
why did leafs think he'd do any good in toronto?
sorry leaf fans, it back to square one next year - kick burke & wilson out and start all over again

the one that won a stanley cup

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page