Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2009/10 Regular Season Predictions Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  13:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to go out on a limb and try and predict some things that will happen in the upcoming season.

- There will be three 50 goal scorers. (Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin)
- Sid the Kid will win the Art ross.
- Five players will have 100+ point seasons.
- Edmonton makes the playoffs
- Detroit does not win their division
- 3 out of 6 Canadian teams make the playoffs
- Philly and Anaheim meet in the Stanley Cup Finals
- Osgood retires after this season.
- 09-10 Year of the Goalies. Don't know what that means? Just watch. The run for the Vezina will be a tough one.

Make your predictions.

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  06:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm good ones.

Hedman win Calder
Brodeur puts up 10 shutouts under Lemaire
Calgary and Philly meet in the Stanley Cup Finals
5 out of 6 Canadian teams make the playoffs
Tampa Bay, Dallas and Ottawa makes the playoffs
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  08:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Predictions:

- Ovechkin wins the scoring race again, another 50 goal season
- The usual suspects are again top three in scoring, but the order is all switched around again as it finishes AO, SC, EM
- 4 Canadian teams make the playoffs
- Heatley is traded just before the deadline, and ends up with almost 50 goals
- no Pittsburgh or Detroit in the final next year
- the Leafs finish ahead of Ottawa, and Beans becomes a Leaf fan for two months

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  10:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Predictions eh... i like it!

- Malkin wins Art Ross again.
- AO gets 60+
- Maple Leafs MAKE playoffs
- Habs MISS
- Hedman wins calder
- Philly wins east
- Chicago wins west
- Pitt and Chicago meet in final
- Pitt repeats
- 7752 says "Gainey Wins Again!" at some point this year

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  10:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good ones guys! This will be an interesting thread to check up on from time to time this season!

Now, for mine, and these are pretty much money in the bank!

- There will be ZERO 50 goal scorers....on the Canucks
- There will be three 50 goal scorers (Ovie, Kovalchuk, Nash)
- Cody Hodgson wins Calder (not just a homer vote, if his back is ok, he'll have a better team around him than JT)
- SJ Sharks defeat Philly for the Cup (OMG, did i just type that?)
- While i'm at it....Joe Thornton wins the Conn Smythe
- 4 Canadian teams make the playoffs
- Mike Green wins the Norris after voters realize he's actually not bad defensively.
- Atlanta surprises many with a strong season...but still misses the playoffs
Most importanly....
- My buddy sells me one of his tix and i witness, in person, Canada winning GOLD! (more of a hope/wish than a prediction, but whatever)
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  12:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How could I forget Canada winning gold? ... But is it really a prediction?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  11:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley scores 50 goals.
Ovechkin scores 60
Thornton is back in the 100 points season
Phaneuf wins the Norris
Calgary has the best Power play in the league
Kovalchuk signs back with Atlanta
Gretzky is not the coach in Phoenix at the end of the season.

And Alex, all of a sudden your prediction about SJ making it to the finals is now believeble.

Edited by - Leafs81 on 09/14/2009 05:51:46
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  17:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

Heatley scores 50 goals.
Ovechkin scores 60
Phaneuf wins the calder

And Alex, all of a sudden your prediction about SJ making it to the finals is now believeble.

How does Phaneuf win Rookie of the Year?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  23:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the Heatley trade, i'd have to add him to my 50 goal scorers prediction.

As for Phaneuf, a hockey pool book i bought predicts him for the Norris as well. He's def a better player than he showed last year and maybe with JBo on the other point, he'll score more PP goals / points.....?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  05:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redneck76ca

quote:

Heatley scores 50 goals.
Ovechkin scores 60
Phaneuf wins the calder

How does Phaneuf win Rookie of the Year?

Ah!!!! Thanks for pointing that out. I meant Norris.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  18:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, here we go. Maybe some predictions and some being the jerk that argues other people's predictions.

The words Phaneuf and Norris do not belong anywhere near each other unless the phrase between them is 'when hell freezes over' . It's the award for the best defenseman, not the best offensive defensemen. Phaneuf is one of the highest paid pylons in the league. Take away his ability to hit and shoot, he's a smaller version of Hal Gill. Don't be a hater, look at it objectively. Phaneuf is horrible defensively.

If there is changing of the guard for the Norris (meaning a D man under 30 winning) it will be either Shea Webber or Mike Green. Even uber goal scoring-no defense Mike Green is a better defensive player than Phaneuf.

Heatley fights Ovechkin all year for the Richard. 55+ for each of them. The main benefits to this??? Backstrom and Thornton are both 100 point players.

The Leafs will be out of the playoff race by the trade deadline and Burke will have some kind of excuse for it. Slozo will see this and take his 2 months of medicine well before the first playoff puck drop.

Here is my nickels worth of free advice. Dustin Penner came into camp in better shape then ever and scored in the top 5 on the team in his fitness test. He has finally learned that he has to work to do well. His 6'4"-245lb frame doesn't do it for him. He comes out solid, finds a spot on the 1 line, and scores 35+ this year. Take him as your sleeper pick in your pool and I will take 10% of your winnings for giving you those goods.

San Jose gets the playoff monkey off their back and literally walks through the entire lead.

Crosby solidifies himself as the best player in hockey. Not because of numbers or anything statistically. Because he will learn to win and look bad over losing and looking good (a la Ovechkin).

Chara is going to line up Ovechkin in the biggest hit of the past 10 years. It still doesn't teach Ovie One any humility.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8954
( )

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  18:49:47  Reply with Quote
Ottawa makes the playoffs

Toronto gets most penalty minutes (bunch of goons this year under burke)

tavares pulls off a Stamkos season (nothing amazing)

Ottawa wins the cup (shutup I like the dream big)

Heatley runs someone down in SJ

SJ rips up in the regular season and plummits in the playoffs

Detroit and Pittsburgh in the finals (that means the same 2 teams for a 3rd time as quickplay starters in EA sports video game)
Go to Top of Page

Guest8954
( )

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  18:50:27  Reply with Quote
*to dream big
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  02:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans.....i'm so intrigued by the Penner prediction that i will choose to ignore the lack of respect for Phaneuf's overall game.

Is this Penner guy you speak of, the same Dustin Penner who played for the Ducks before being signed away to a ridiculous sum by one Kevin Lowe? If it is, is the 35+ you speak of, POINTS? Seriously, his high is 29 and that was with Getzlaf and Perry! No way he cracks that! I'm not kidding you, i'll give you not 10% of my winnings, i'll give you 100% if i have him on one of my teams and win. Sorry, but i won't pick him...............
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  06:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 out of 6 Canadian teams make the playoffs . . . Leafs make playoffs ahead of Ottawa . . . Phaneuf wins the Norris . . . Leafs out of the playoff race before the trade deadline . . . Dustin Penner scores 35+ goals . . . Chara actually skates fast enough to hit Ovechkin on the open ice . . . Toronto gets the most penalty minutes as a "goon" team . . . Ottawa wins the cup . . .

Wow, guys. Some of this stuff will be really, really hilarious to look at later . . . some comments:

1. No way do 5 of 6 Canadian teams make it. The problem with the Canadian teams is that there are three each in a division, and for 5 out of the 6 to make it, that means in one division you'd basically have to have aonly the Canadian teams making it. I'm guessing it would have to be Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton, with two out of three making it in the other . . . hmm. Well, who knows, actually - this one has a bit of a chance, and maybe there is a way . . . but I don't see Edmonton making it for sure, and there is no way Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto all make it, just too unlikely. So, no.

2. Leafs make playoffs ahead of Ottawa . . . well, this prediction was made before Ottawa ended the Heatley saga and now has two dangerous scoring lines, with their new goalie, and a positive outlook for the future. This will be much tougher now, and for the Leafs to pull it off, they'd have to expect a great season from both their goalies (Toskala and the Monster) and Ottawa would have to underperform. Which is always a possibility, because it's Ottawa, they have Kovalev, and their hopes rest on the shoulders of a goalie coming off an injury plagued, crappy season, and who has one good year in a career 45-55 record. Leafs always seem to overachieve, just like last year when everyone predicted them as bottom of the pile, and they ended up a bit better than that with a third string line-up. Anyways - less likely now, but still a possibility! Leafs need Kessel and then some!

3. No way does Dustin Penner score more than 27 goals, nevermind a career high 30 or a sizzling 35+. It is. not. happening. I predict he is dealt at the trade deadline.

4. Phaneuf is not winning the Norris, sorry. I don't think he's as crap as Beans says he is, but it's the competition that's the problem. Chara, Lidstrom, Wideman, Green, Weber, Boyle, Streit, Markov . . . the list goes on. He isn't at the offensive level with a few of these guys, and isn't at the same defensive level with almost all of them. Not happening.

5. Leafs out of the playoff race at the trade deadline?!? That's pretty insane bad, like . . . Atlanta bad. That's not happening, sorry. For any team in the Eastern conference to be out of the playoff race even twenty games out, they have to be pretty bad, and if one assumes the Leafs improved with their offseason acquisitions and assume the goaltending has to be better, they improve on last year - make sense? I think at the very worst they are still in the playoff hunt with a dozen games to go before falling out, at best, they have a playoff spot wrapped up with 5 games to play.

6. The Leafs are a goon squad? Most penalties?!? Dude, not happening, put away the Leaf hate, and enjoy the better defence! No way do Philly, Anaheim, and Vancouver let the Leafs get even close to most penalty minutes, unh-unh, not happening. All Burke did was make a very soft team into a more gritty team, not including the forwards.

7. And last, but not least . . . there is no fricken' WAY Chara lines up Ovechkin for a hit and actually hits the high-flying OV! That is not happening dude . . . if anything, Chara is losing a step now, and the only thing he has going for him is the "Gill Factor" - size and reach. Well, he has a great shot, too . . . so maybe the poster meant he hits OV in the noggin with a fifty foot slapper? Anyways, not happening, put away the OV hate and enjoy the skills.

Edited by - n/a on 09/15/2009 06:59:28
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  10:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a reply Slozo about his comments on my prediction of 5 out of 6 canadian teams make the playoffs.

The division they play in is exactly the reason why I said that. In the west Vancouver and Calgary both has the talent to make it in the playoffs and lead their division. Edmonton will fight for a playoff spot and I believe they will make it because to me they are better then Minnesota and Colorado. So third in the division means around 7,8 or 9 in the standings. Plus I believe Edmonton improve since last year.

In the east now Boston should lead this division but the next two spots are up for grab. And I think Buffalo will finish fourth or fifth in the division. So this means second and third will be taken by Montreal and Ottawa. And now Ottawa has depth and the Heatley saga is over, and plus they have Leclaire and Elliot in goals. And I believe Montreal has the talent and the young players will play better and they will sneak in 7 or 8.

So I predict every canadian teams will make the playoffs except for the Leafs. And If the Leafs surprise and make the playoffs, then their is still room for either Montreal or Ottawa.

It's just a prediction but it's very possible considering Minnesota, Colorado and Buffalo are not playoff teams in my mind.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  17:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I wrote, Leafsfan81, I was halfway to changing my mind about 5 out of 6 making the playoffs. But I'll still say it's only 4.

Too tight for the Oil to sneak in, and at least one of the eastern teams won't make it. But, as I eventually admitted, it is a possibility.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  18:13:50  Reply with Quote
- ottawa is the only eastern canadian team to make the playoffs
- Calgary misses the playoffs
- ovechkin lines up chara not vica versa
- Hodgson wins the Calder
- Green wins the Norris
- USA doesnt get a medal in mens hockey
- CBC shows leaf games before any other canadian team
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  15:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I think Buffalo will finish fourth or fifth in the division.

How on earth will Buffalo be better than any of these five teams?
Boston, Washington, Pittsburg, Philedalphia, New Jersey. or even Rangers and Sens I am predicting Buffalo to miss the playoffs this year

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  15:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

quote:

Boston, Washington, Pittsburg, Philedalphia, New Jersey. or even Rangers and Sens I am predicting Buffalo to miss the playoffs this year

Sensfan.... Reread his comment and you'll see he's picking Buffalo 4th, not overall in the conference, but in their division! His last line ought to have cleared that up when he included Buffalo as a non playoff team. Be scary if he meant the conference, cuz he had Montreal and Ottawa as 2 and 3?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  14:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

quote:

Sensfan.... Reread his comment and you'll see he's picking Buffalo 4th, not overall in the conference, but in their division! His last line ought to have cleared that up when he included Buffalo as a non playoff team. Be scary if he meant the conference, cuz he had Montreal and Ottawa as 2 and 3?

Yes Alex you're right. Good thing we have you around to clear things up. And really I said fourth or fifth, but if I would have to make a prediction it would probably be fifth in their division so that means around 12 or 13 in the conference.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  12:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Beans.....i'm so intrigued by the Penner prediction that i will choose to ignore the lack of respect for Phaneuf's overall game.

Is this Penner guy you speak of, the same Dustin Penner who played for the Ducks before being signed away to a ridiculous sum by one Kevin Lowe? If it is, is the 35+ you speak of, POINTS? Seriously, his high is 29 and that was with Getzlaf and Perry! No way he cracks that! I'm not kidding you, i'll give you not 10% of my winnings, i'll give you 100% if i have him on one of my teams and win. Sorry, but i won't pick him...............

Hey Alex, what do you think now???
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  21:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

Hey Alex, what do you think now???

---------> (removes foot from mouth) Yikes.....kinda glad i didn't take him in any of my pools! Wouldn't wanna have to fork over my winnings to you.

Funny reading my comments and then seeing him tied with Getzlaf in points right now.

35+ is not a given, even at this point. Yeah, he's just over half way there but as midseason approaches, he's only a slump or two away from missing 35. Can he keep up this pace? Can he do it without Hemsky? He really doesn't seem to be missing him to much? Will he tire and slump after playing all those Olympic games ?

Regardless, you got me. He's already done better than i ever expected and he's only 32 games in!

I only wish that the same rewards came to Kyle Wellwood this year. He too came into camp in better shape than before (especially last year) and look where it's gotten him! The press box!

Beans, i'll look for your sleeper pick next year and give it a little more respect after this.....

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  09:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah it's a shot in the dark. I would have bet the vast majority of the time a pick like that is bad. I mean the guy has as many points through 32 games as he had off of last season.

Let's not talk about my other predictions. I just have to gloat when one of them actually turns out true.

Don't feel bad, Slozo was doggin the Penner love as well. He has been pretty quiet on the matter as well.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  10:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, you're too humble

What's worse, here are the players i chose in a few different pools around the time i could have gotten Penner.....

Bryan Little - 12 points? Obviously not seeing time with Kovie or on the power play?

David Booth - ouch, out with concussion from early in the season.

Nikita Filitov - even worse, now playing in Russia

Here's the kicker, and i have to say, i'd have gotten Penner in this one but wasn't in attendance. Went in one with buddy's from a ball team i play on. Made my first few picks but then had to leave. Just realized when i was looking at my late picks, NO ONE took Penner at all in the pool!!! The guy who picked the rest of my team could have done me a huge favour and picked him for me. Now, get this.....there were 13 teams and we took 12 guys each! NO ONE took Penner? To top it off, this pool was picked about a week after the season started and Penner already had the hot start! Same pool as the one where the guy took Brooks Laich 5th or 6th overall!!! I even had Penner on the list of guys i left with my buddy who picked my team and he was ranked above the last three guys he took for me (Souray, Pronger, V. Leino). Well, guess that just proves, it sucks to have to have someone else pick your team.

Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  14:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that it helps you at all this year ALex but I heard that Filatov gave an interview stating he expects to be back in Columbus for next year. Not sure how that would go over in their locker room but he made the statement nonetheless.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page

gotomann
Top Prospect

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  18:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm good ones.

Hedman win Calder

you must be joking philly and calgary what are you a leaf fan. by the way devils will be in first place at christmas

eldon l adams
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  12:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gotomann

quote:

Hmmm good ones.

Hedman win Calder

you must be joking philly and calgary what are you a leaf fan. by the way devils will be in first place at christmas

eldon l adams

Thanks for the news, now jump in the Delorian and go back to the future. I think Philly can come back from whatever is ailing them and Calgary is as good a bet in the West as Chicago and San Jose is. Personally I see the last 2 teams in the East being New Jersey and Washington, not Philly, but a lot can happen in 50 games.
Go to Top of Page

K73
Top Prospect

20 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  23:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

eldon l adams

predicting a philly / calgary final... means hes a leaf fan? how does that work?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  12:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gotomann

quote:

Hmmm good ones.

Hedman win Calder

eldon l adams

Look at when I did the prediction, I don't think anybody predicted that the Flyers would be fighting for a playoff spot with the addition of Pronger. Plus I don't count them out just yet they still have guys like Richards, Carter, Gagné, Brière, Giroux, van Riemsdyk, Hartnell, Laperrière, Pronger, Timonen, Carle and more. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

And I never take away chances to New Jersey because of Brodeur and plus Parise is one of the best. Washington and Pittsburgh are always a threat. Buffalo is suprisingly doing great and Ryan Miller could steal some series.

And I think he said What are you a Leaf fan because of my avatar, my username, not because of this prediction ;)
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  11:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found it! Wow i was wrong about alot, but this year is definitely year of the goalies, so many picks. Although Miller will most likely get it. Some others may come true too who knows.

Also Aug. 2008 I predicited this will be Washington's year.. solid prediction.

quote:
"Posted - 08/13/2008 : 09:48:39
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is to hypothesize what you think the playoff picture will look like, and your look upon the East/West conferences at the end of the 08/09 season. Mine is as follows:

EAST

1st*- Montreal Canadiens 108 pts ( Repeat, entirely bias)
2nd*- New York Rangers 104 pts
3rd*- Tampa Bay Lightning 96 pts
4th- Boston Bruins 102 pts
5th- Pittsburgh Penguins 101 pts
6th- Philidelphia Flyers 95 pts
7th- New Jersey Devils 92 pts
8th- Washington Capitals 91 pts

Before I make someone goes schitzo on me, to all of the you Ovie worshipers, the Caps are lower because they basically did nothing and I think Huet is a better goalie then Theo, also with the young D coming up I think next year will be more of their year."

Oh PS: The above predictions were for last season not this season, if anyone was confused.

Also some nice predictions made by alot of you, Guest4803 sick call on Ovie lining up Chara (for those of you who don't remember or who haven't seen; see Olympics). Another awesome call on Calgary not making the playoffs .. most people, including myself, disagreed at the start of the season.

Edited by - Axey on 03/31/2010 11:55:53
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  16:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm good ones.

Hedman win Calder

Well at least I was right with Philly making it to the finals. But was I ever wrong with the others. Except for Brodeur I think he got 9.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page