Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - Best overall player in the NHL Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  11:23:53  Reply with Quote
The key to this question is "overall" including scoring, checking, defensive play, fighting, etc. That being said, my vote goes to Iginla.
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  12:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no one touches Iginla for "overall" status. I think the poll numbers are skewed. Those people that have posted opinions tend to know, or at least care, about hockey. They seem to be leaning towards Iggy. Those people that don't know and have not posted their point of view are just voting for who is in the news the most (Crosby, Jagr)
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  13:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't argue with Iginla, but I don't think the ability or willingness to fight has any relevance in a player's well-roundedness. Being agressive sure, not letting others defend you sure, but on most teams the star players are told NOT to fight, especially if there is a "goon" type player on the team. Lecavalier and Iginla are both well-rounded tough players that have a yellow light to fight (coaches probably say "I don't like you fighting but I know you're going to do it anyway", not a flat out "Go fight") whereas other superstars stay out of it completely to avoid getting hurt.

I'm sure that if guys like Thornton or Forsberg or Ovechkin were not strictly told not to fight that they could lay a good beating, just like Iginla or Lecavalier could.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 01/12/2007 13:09:55
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  14:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even Shannahan voted for Iginla...

---------------------------
(CP) - When Brendan Shanahan thinks of power forwards, he recalls Cam Neely and Rick Tocchet - big men who played with an attitude, scored goals and weren't afraid to fight.

That is how Shanahan has played for 19 NHL seasons, but if it weren't for Jarome Iginla of the Calgary Flames, he might be the last of that breed in the league. "Now, a power forward is a guy who takes the body and goes to the net, but there aren't too many that will drop the gloves like they did," Shanahan said Friday on a conference call. "I've always admired what Jarome Iginla does.

"He doesn't ask for anyone to stick up for him, but he sticks up for his teammates. Like me, he's probably been told by coaches not to fight, but I see something in him when he's in a fight - that he's having fun."

full article:
http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=h011239A
------------------------------

Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  15:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
almost brings a tear to my eye
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic