Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Tired of Ovie? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  13:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is anyone else here tired of hearing about alexander ovechkin and the capitals? they are not a top stanley cup contender because they do not play defense!!!!

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  14:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no problem with people discussing him or his team. I believe they in fact are a legitimate cup contender. You've got arguably the best player, a budding superstar (Backstrom), another guy in Semin who could put up 100 pts potentially (if he stays healthy and continues his pace from last season), the most offensive Dman in the game today and a goalie who, while needing to prove himself over more than just a few playoff games, came on strong as a rookie last season when the games were most important. Couple all that in with the fact that they're in a weak division (which affords them a better chance at a higher seed than others bringing them home ice advantage in the playoffs) and yeah, i'd say they're definitely a contender? Just my opinion of course....
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2009 :  09:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they win games in the regular season because they can outscore most teams. they have no clue how to win a tight defensive battle. and as far as mike green goes hes just a forward that can skate backward really well. hes a liability defensively.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  13:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phlyguy90

they win games in the regular season because they can outscore most teams. they have no clue how to win a tight defensive battle. and as far as mike green goes hes just a forward that can skate backward really well. hes a liability defensively.

You forgot they won that way in the playoffs for a round or 2 as well. Not a well rounded team but definetly a team with the potential for greatness. A few two way players as forwards and some chemistry between some stay at home defensive pairings and this is the team to watch.

I thought we retired the Green can`t play defense in another debate. Personally if he scores 30-35 goals this year I`m ok with a few defensive lapse. No better no worse than Mccabe in his hayday.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  20:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It pretty hard to argue the potential of a team that took the eventual Cup winners to 7 games and were ahead 2 games to nil at one point. Although I will not argue that the Caps are a more offensive team then they are a defensive team, I think they are better than you might think. Consider that the Caps had the same number of goals against as the Red Wings did last year. And they were better than the Flames in goals against and they were know as a defensive team.

There is nothing wrong with outscoring the other team. Many agree that the best defense is a good offence. I can think if at least 5 Cup won in a dynasty by a team that played very little defense.

They were the 80's Oilers.

Ovechkin, as cocky as he is and as much as I don't like him, deserves what he gets in praise. He is the most dynamic goal scorer of the past 15+ years and has the potential to go down as a top 10 all time goal scorer. Maybe even top 5. Guys like that don't come around very often.

And Mike Green is not the games most brilliant defensive player, never will be and doesn't have to be. He's scores. And he does that well. Again, I think of any other guy like that who also played for those 80's Oilers. Paul Coffey. He rarely stopped anyone in his zone, but he scored twice for every defensive laps.

Washington is the real deal. If they can get even average goaltending and they stay healthy, they will be very difficult to beat. Who cares how they do it!

Edited by - Beans15 on 09/26/2009 20:32:28
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2009 :  09:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree that the Capitals have a good team and they are a legitimate contender. Plus they are really exciting to see. There's nothing wrong with good offense. I love to watch Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin and Green play.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2009 :  13:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

With a plus/minus of 24, how is he such a defensive liability? I realize he's not the best defensive defensman, but he's certainly not the worst either?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2009 :  08:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, I am not tired at all hearing about Ovechkin. He is the best goal-scorer and most exciting player in the NHL today. And, the Caps are most definitely a top Cup contender - taking the champs to 7 games was no fluke, and they'll get another shot at it with more experience next year.

I'm sick of Philly bandwagon jumpers, though.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  09:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAHAHAHA philly bandwagon jumpers? you've got to be kidding me! no team in the league has worse bandwagon jumpers than washington! oh except maybe pittsburgh.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

HAHAHAHA philly bandwagon jumpers? you've got to be kidding me! no team in the league has worse bandwagon jumpers than washington! oh except maybe pittsburgh.

I can't really comment about this as i don't know how to track bandwagon jumpers but i will say, i was in Washington for a Cap's / Habs game a couple years ago and even with Ovie, the place was only 2/3 full. They've improved with Backstrom, Semin, Green, etc and are now a contender and have obviously drawn far more fans out. What will be interesting to see is if these fans continue to stick with the team if it runs into problems although i don't see them struggling over the next 10 or so years?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  10:54:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, I agree there are a TON of Philly bandwagon jumpers this year. They add a goalie who's a timebomb and a an elite defensemen and they are automatically better than everyone else??
Puh-lease!!

They just kept up and matched the good teams from last year, that's all.

And as far as the Cap's having that team for 10 years??? How much do you think Semin, Green, and Backstrom alone are going to want when their contracts come due???? The salary dictates that you can't pay elite players elite dollars and still have a team.

The Caps are solid for 2ish years. After that, their draft picks better be good!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  11:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

First of all, I agree there are a TON of Philly bandwagon jumpers this year. They add a goalie who's a timebomb and a an elite defensemen and they are automatically better than everyone else??
Puh-lease!!

They just kept up and matched the good teams from last year, that's all.

And as far as the Cap's having that team for 10 years??? How much do you think Semin, Green, and Backstrom alone are going to want when their contracts come due???? The salary dictates that you can't pay elite players elite dollars and still have a team.

The Caps are solid for 2ish years. After that, their draft picks better be good!

Good point Beans, we may find out sooner than later just how good the Caps fans are? I tell ya, when i was there, i was horrified. Not only were there empty seats (and a ton of them), the fans seemed really ignorant. Okay, lemme rephrase that, SOME seemed....
They'd get up in the middle of the play to leave to get a bite, beer, take a leak, whatever and return the same way, while the play was on! Ushers didn't seem to care and just let them wander in! I guess i should call them uneducated hockey fans?
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  11:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are u kidding me? the flyers were pretty damn good last year. until there youth and injuries caught up to them. they outplayed the pittsburgh penguins in 4 of those 6 playoff games last year...a few bounces here and there and they win that series. let us not forget that.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  11:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know, it's not a well formed opinion of mine, but . . . not all new fans are bandwagon jumpers.

I would characterise a true bandwagon jumper as someone who starts supporting a team just after they win everything, or just before. I would say that most new Caps fans and hockey fans who became Caps fans did so directly because of Ovechkin, the most electrifying player on the ice today, and a character to boot.

I was just trolling about most Philly fans being bandwagon jumpers, I guess - I do think they have a core group of loyal fans, but I consider them the worst fans of the NHL (often voted as such by many sports mags, btw). Worst behaviour-wise, that is.

Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  12:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok mr slozo give me an example of our "bad" behavior.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  13:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dude, if you can't accept the FACT that Philly fans are known for their notorious bad behaviour, then you don't know much about Philly fans! This isn't directly aimed at Flyers fans either, it's about sports fans in Philly in general....

For example:

Hey Santa Claus...CATCH! <----said as multiple snow balls bombard the gift giver in red.....

Edited by - Alex116 on 10/06/2009 13:09:21
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  13:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first of all that santa clause was clueless drunk parading around like a moron, and didnt even have half a costume. is that the only one you can muster up? cuz guess what there has been worse things to happen in other cities.

1. beer being thrown at jeff carter in the playoffs in wash. a couple years ago
2. booing the star spangled banner in montreal
3. i cant remember where but i think it was in ny that the fans booed the canadian national anthem.
4. the riots that have happened in other cities namely detroit and los angeles

[Mod. Edit - There is no personal attacks needed. Argue the opinion, not the person making the opinion. Thanks]

Edited by - Beans15 on 10/06/2009 13:24:59
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  13:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unfortunatley it was in san jose that they booed O canada, it was in the playoffs, they were playing calgary, i try to forget that they did that
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2009 :  22:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, while i'm not "Mr. Slozo", i will assist him with your request. Just remember, you asked

1. Santa Claus and the snowballs
2. Throwing batteries at JD Drew (and surely others too?)
3. Cheering while Michael Irvin laid motionless on the field, obviously injured.
4. Cheering even louder when the trainers signalled the need for an ambulance for Irvin!
5. How about the beating death of a young man outside Citizens Bank Park back in July. Yeah, this was more of a fight between two groups of drunks (both of which were rumoured to be Philly fans ironically), but it did happen at/after the Phillies game...

There's a few for you, i could find more i'm sure. But wait, here's a bonus one: Remember the "melee at The Palace of Auburn Hills in November of 2004" between the Pistons and the Pacers? Well, seems a "Philly fan" was involved in a big way in that one too, and it wasn't even in freakin' Philly! Classic! Here's the deal....this is quoted from phillygameday.com:

"After throwing back drink after drink for the entire game (per Philadelphia fan code of conduct), notorious Philly fan Mike Ryan decides to throw his remaining cup of Coors Light at Ron Artest, which incites a riot between the fans and players.

“I was in town on some business and decided to catch a Pistons game,” said Ryan, a professional derelict from Pottstown, PA. “I was enjoying a great game, but then my Phillyness kicked in and I couldn’t control myself. I just had to start some [expletive]. It’s just something we’re born and bred to do I guess.”

That's just too ironic!

Oh, and here's a great article to read regarding the Irvin incident and even has a quote from one Philly fan who won't go to a game because he fears for his safety as a senior.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1999/10/11/philly_fans_ap/

BTW, what other stadium has a judge on hand to charge offenders??? Read the above article if you didn't know about this already!!!

Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  05:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
first of all that santa clause incident is known just because the media made it that way. that santa clause was a drunken boob who deserved to be hit with snowballs...the michael irvin incident was horrible but thats not just eagles fans that football fans in general, they act like a bunch of baffoons in every nfl stadium. JD Drew is a punk and didnt get pelted with batteries like everyone thinks, a few bad apples ruined the bunch on that one, besides he should of signed here and not held out like a whiny ass bitch.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2009 :  09:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, the snowball incident was not a drunken boob. It was a 19 year old fan wearing a Santa suit who had been recruited to run through a line of cheerleaders at half time, replacing other celebrities who cancelled their appearance due to poor weather.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/eagles/2003-11-27-santa-snowballs_x.htm

So, it did happen, the fans did throw snowballs at Santa. The incident also took place in 1968, at the end of a dismal 2-12 season for the Philadelphia Eagles. But even back then, Philly people knew the fans could be rough. Check out the classic line from the Santa involved, from the article:

quote:
At halftime, there was supposed to be a Christmas pageant. Then there was too much snow and muck for a float to parade around the field. Instead, according to the book, a 19-year-old fan wearing a Santa suit and fake beard in the stands was recruited to jog onto the field between two columns of cheerleaders.

The authors don't deny boos were heard and that snowballs were tossed. Are they saying Santa had it coming?

"Santa had it coming for a different reason actually," says Macnow. "Santa was a surrogate that day for Joe Kuharich and Jerry Wolman and Norm Snead. The poor kid just happened to be representing the frustrations."

The authors tracked down the Santa, Frank Olivo, who now lives in Ocean City, N.J. In the book, Olivo says he has no hard feelings. "I'm a Philadelphia fan, I knew what was what. I thought it was funny," he is quoted as saying.

But Olivo recalls that when he was asked if he might want to play Santa again the next season, he balked. "No way. If it doesn't snow, they'll probably throw beer bottles."

They would, indeed, probably throw beer bottles.

Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2009 :  12:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like i give a s*** anyway about some dumbass college douchebag, that was retarted enough to do that. besides that happened a long, long time ago. and santa clause is the exact representation of everything that is wrong with american society.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9655
( )

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  10:23:24  Reply with Quote
Philadelphia sports fans are among the classiest in any league. Take for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZk7BIdCns

Thats after they WON the world series, lol. Imagine if the flyers won. Philly is a worse armpit than New Jersey. The only good thing they ever accomplished was booing the hell out of Sarah Palin.
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  13:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow the only thing ever accomplished in philly was booing sarah palin? now i'm no history buff or anything, but wasnt the declaration of independence signed here?
Go to Top of Page

Kirby
Top Prospect

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  22:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sharksfan44

unfortunatley it was in san jose that they booed O canada, it was in the playoffs, they were playing calgary, i try to forget that they did that

I beleive this happened against Edmonton in the 06 playoffs, and then the Oilers cheered as loud as they could for the American anthem during their next home game, which seemed to motivate the Oilers and they came back with 4 straight victories

I skate where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.-Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Guest9647
( )

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  09:09:16  Reply with Quote
I thought this whole thing was about Ovechkin? When did the wheels fall of this bus?

BTW - I'll never tire of Ovi and his flamboyance. He makes hockey fun to watch!
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  09:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted - 10/27/2009 : 13:48:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wow the only thing ever accomplished in philly was booing sarah palin? now i'm no history buff or anything, but wasnt the declaration of independence signed here?

Actually, you apparently aren't an english major either. Pretty sure he was talking about philly sports fans and their accomplishments, not overall history taking place in the city of Philadelphia. Which is fair, because Philly fans are pretty much the absolute scum of the earth,
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  12:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kirby

quote:
Originally posted by sharksfan44

I beleive this happened against Edmonton in the 06 playoffs, and then the Oilers cheered as loud as they could for the American anthem during their next home game, which seemed to motivate the Oilers and they came back with 4 straight victories

I skate where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.-Wayne Gretzky

o sorry thought they were playing calgary, but ya it was edmonton my bad
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  12:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dude are you serious? your user name is hugh g. rection...that was funny when i was like 12
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  13:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is about Ovechkin, not the fans in Philly.

Any further posts in this thread not about Ovechkin will be deleted.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Guest6840
( )

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  21:47:31  Reply with Quote
Tired of the overrated Crosby is more like it. as for the Capitals i hear more about Toronto Montreal Vancouver and Chicago then them.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  22:25:18  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin is fun too watch.

anyways, Philly fan, the more you talk the more you prove the points you are trying to argue against.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page