Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Anonymous trade rumours Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  23:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I agree that getting rid of Smyth is not a good idea. What I am saying is that if the Oilers are not going to give him $5-$6 million/year, he is gone. So we might as well get something in return.

And saying Jay Bouwmeester is only a little better than Bergeron is like saying Crosby is just an average scorer. Bouwmeester has played in World Hockey Championships and was on the Olympic Team. He was a plus player on a weak team last year, and had 46 points playing along side no other quality defensemen. Any coach/GM would take Bouwmeester over Bergeron, and he's an Edmonton boy as well!

Horcoff a good player under-performing is possible. Or is he a marginal player that had a good year last year because of the opportunity to play exclusively with Smyth and Hemsky? He's no better than 2nd/3rd line centre on most teams. Last year he had 73 points. Before that, no more than 40. This year he's on pace for 40 again. Few first line centres in the league produce less. In fact, even Horcoff's performance last year only put him 21st among centres. This year, he's 67th. That is only Centres!! Stoll, who spends a lot of time on the 3rd and sometimes 4th lines is 28th, 9 points ahead of Horcoff. I think Horcoff is marginal at best.

The Oilers offense might look good on paper, but that's it (unfortunately.) In reality, the Oilers are one of the worst offenses (20th in Goals/Game, 30th in Shots/Game, and 26th in Power Play %) and one of the better defenses (11th in Shots against/game, 9th in Goals Against/Game, and 1st in Penalty %). So does the Defense really need help???

And if you are a true Oilers fan you would not be saying Smith is good for nothing. The guy is the Captain and, together with Smyth, the heart of the team. He always in the top 5 in the NHL in blocked shots, other than this year has been a plus defensemen. He hits, he fights, he plays hurt. Why would you say he is good for nothing? He's a guy that most teams out there would never pass up on.

In the end, the trade only looks good if the Oilers are not planning on paying Smyth what he wants. My first choice is to keep Smyth. My second choice is to trade him for something good now and tomorrow. Bottom line is that the "On Paper" Oilers offense is not producing, and if they want another run at the Cup, it better improve soon!

Okay. It took a while for my rebutle, but her it goes:

1)I totally agree that Bouwmeester is better than Bergeron. But Bergeron is a "top prospect". At the Oilers skills competition he won fastest skater & hardest shot. He always plays on the power play. He leads the Oilers defencemen in goals with 4 & is tied for top points with 12. Bouwmeester has 1 more goal & 1 more assist than Bergeron, for a total of 14 points. And yes I know that Bouwmeester is still a much better defensive player. But what I am saying is that Bouwmeester for Berergon would be a good trade for the Oilers. But losing Smyth and our highest scoring defencemen for another young defencemen is not worth it.

2)Horcoff may be a marginal player, but he has the potential to be a really good player. He has not found his game at all the season & can do so much better.

3)Well, sadly I can't agrue with you on this one. Stats don't lie. It's sad but true.

4)Smith is so easily replacable. Any dummy can bloke a shot. She he's good at it but what else is he good at? I know he takes a lot of penalties. ie. Tonight against Colorado he took a penalty that could have been called a penalty shot. On the ensuing Avs power play a goal is scored. We loose by one goal.....Do I blame Smith for the lose? No. Not at all. But the captian of a team & veteren of the team should not be taking bad penalties. This is just one example(kind ofa bad one to but....) I don't think he deserves to be the captian. I never see him showing any signs of leadership. Question my loyalty to the Oilers all you want. But I hate him & can't wait to see him go.

5) Me to. But this is not a good trade.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0354
( )

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  00:37:45  Reply with Quote
Last night, French media was talking about Federov to Mtl to center between Kovalev and Samsonov for Bonk (UFA) and way overpriced Ninnima. They don't like it though. Federov will still be making 6million next year. Might be least productive high paid line in the league. Plus Bonk and Mike Johnson are playing well together. One reason for Mtl's solid penallty kill. Ça sent la Coupe à Montréal!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  07:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Rebuttal on the Smyth Trade Discussion, now here is mine:

1) Bergeron being a top prospect does not win games. And he is not the Oilers highest scoring D-Man, Tjarnqvist is. And Bergeron gets significantly more time on the powerplay than Tjarnqvist. Bouwmeester is in the Top 30 defensemen in +/- at plus 8, on a team that gives up 3+ goals a game. And FLA doesn't depend on him for scoring as much when Salei has 23 points and is 13th in defensive scoring. A game like last night shows how much the Oilers need a more defensive player on the back end. (By the way, I feel about Bergeron as you feel about Smith. To me, Bergeron is the most over-rated player for the Oilers and needs to go)

2) Again, Horcoff being a potentially good player does not win games.

3) The trade is not great when you consider the talent that Smyth has, but if you take him out of the equation, it's a great trade. Like I said before, this is only a good trade if Smyth becomes a free agent this summer and leaves. If he stays, then it is not a good trade.

I still think that Bergeron and Horcoff are both expendable to improve the defense. Maybe even a Pisani or a Torres. But I think Lowe better do something soon to stay at pace in the uber competitive Northwest Division.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4170
( )

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  10:11:09  Reply with Quote
rumor going around the morrison might go to ottawa

said so in ottawa paper
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To: