Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 #1 Hall of Fame Vote for 2009 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  21:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Of the four NHL players being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame this year who would you give your number 1 vote to?

Choices:

Luc Robitaille
Brett Hull
Brian Leetch
Steve Yzerman

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  21:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leigh, that's arguably the toughest poll yet! I went with Stevie Y but they're all so deserving!
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  21:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me it was very very easy...Steve Yzerman

The ultimate team leader, in my opinion arguably the best captain in the history of the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

M-y-K-E-A-l
Top Prospect

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  01:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say Stevie Yzerman, then I would have to go with Leetch, Something about Hull tho turns me off, he was a good scorer and had a good shot, but i don't really like the guy lol
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  02:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve Yzerman was an all around player and a good one too. he was most likely one of the best players in the league. Brian Leetch was a good d-man and he was maybe one of the best d-men around but no I will not pick him.

Brett Hull now, he was a really good player and when I say good I mean great! Brett Hull could take wicked slapshots and he was a good goal scorer. Yzerman was maybe a bit better than him though. I can remember the year 1990-1991 ehere he got 86 goals and 45 assists and a total of 131 points. I think that was one of his best years. But when it came down to the end I decided to pick Yzerman by a small margin over Brett Hull.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Edited by - brentrock2 on 11/06/2009 11:45:25
Go to Top of Page

Guest6362
( )

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  03:26:15  Reply with Quote
Brentrock likes http://www.steviey.net/bio.htm . To him he knows nothing.
To me it was easy he was the best of the group and a great leader. How can you not say Stevie Y
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  03:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brentrock2

Steve Yzerman for me. The reason I picked Yzerman was because he was drafted fourth overall in the 1983 Entry Draft by the Detroit Red Wings. That year, he made his NHL debut on October 5 with a goal and an assist against the Jets. Later that season, he played in the mid-season All-Star Game. At year's end, Steve was an All-Rookie Team forward and had set team rookie records for goals (39) and points (87). He was an all-around player for me and hhe also won lots of awards and trophies.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

In Brentrock's defense, I believe the "winky-face" signifies, "I just plagiarized that!"

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8584
( )

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  08:08:21  Reply with Quote
Steve Yzerman was an all around player and a good one too. he was most likely one of the best players in the league. Brian Leetch was a good d-man and he was maybe one of the best d-men around but in this poll i have to go with Yzerman.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  08:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys I got to tell you all something: Sometimes I might go in to sites and copy and paste things but I just want to let you know some things about Yzerman, but anyways just to let you know that "I WILL NEVER EVER DO THIS AGAIN". If anyone catches me doing it tell a mod or admin. Its just a stupid habit of mine.

I changed what I said anyways if that helps.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Edited by - brentrock2 on 11/06/2009 11:38:06
Go to Top of Page

Mikey Boy
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  08:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No brainer for me... Stevey was a childhood hero. He has some characteristics that only a few player before and very few players have now. Loyality, Heart + Drive. They say Messier was the best captain ever if that is so...then Yzerman is a close second. Redwings for life Yzerman's the best!

MP
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  12:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think in that era of players... 80's and 90's Steve Yzerman was the third best behind Gretzky and Lemieux. So I voted for him.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  23:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Guys I got to tell you all something: Sometimes I might go in to sites and copy and paste things but I just want to let you know some things about Yzerman, but anyways just to let you know that "I WILL NEVER EVER DO THIS AGAIN". If anyone catches me doing it tell a mod or admin. Its just a stupid habit of mine.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2

Honestly, if you want to "Include" a piece of an article in your post to back up your PERSONAL opinion or to help make a point and back up statistics, I highly doubt any one would care the least bit.

But do not make your entire post some one else writing/opinion. Also, be sure to include a reference of some sort of the piece you have copied, and have it in "Quotations."

(Just some friendly advice.)

We are not here in a battle for jobs, only for friendly hockey talk and to share opinions on the sport we all love. So use your own opinions/thoughts, we're not here to impress each other.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  05:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a tough choice between Yzerman and Hull, but in the end I gave the nod to Hull on the basis of being third all time in goals. I am not surprised that the majority has gone to Yzerman - only by the size of that majority.

Of the six players in their first year of eligibility only Dave Andreychuk and Alexzander Mogilny were not inducted; again not a surprise considering the other first year eligables.

Wondering how many of you think Andreychuk and Mogilny will eventually be inducted?

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  10:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went through the exact same thought process and conclusion as umteman:

Brett Hull

Measure the accomplishments, not the attitude or personality, folks! I know Brett Hull isn't even close in popularity to Stevie Y, but the HHOF is not a popularity contest; it's a contest of who was better at playing the game.

5 seasons in a row with over 50, 3 of them 70+ and one of them in second place (due to empty net goals, perhaps, ask MSC!) behind Gretzky's as the greatest scoring season of all time with 86. 3rd all time in goals, he is one of the rarest of goal scoring talents that actually ended up with more goals than assists, despite a longish career as a sniper.

Yeah, Yzerman finished with more points (significantly more games played as well), and is close in goals scored . . . but I feel that at peak value, Hull was as good as you could get in terms of goal scoring - the best in his day. Yzerman was always a top guy, but never the top goal scorer or even assist guy, unfortunately having his best years while Gretz was still cuising and Lemieux was at his peak. Still, Hull outdid both guys (Wayne and Mario) in goal scoring a couple of years.

This is real tough, the more I look into it - no denying the greatness of Stevie Y. But I choose Hull, because of the 50 goals in 50 games, and because of his 86 goal season, and being third all-time in goals. These make Hull an absolutely MUST in terms of Hall induction, whereas Yzerman was an excellent overall player with a long career as a leader (he remains longest serving captain of all time).

Very tough, but the HHOF is about records first, greatness second . . . and Hull is second in 70 goal seasons (Hull 3, Gretz 4), second in most goals in a season (86), the only player other than you know who to score 50 in 50 more than once (Hull 2, Gretz 3).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  13:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can certainly concede that Hull's greatness would warrant the nod as 1st choice based on all the factors stated.

My only concern would be a statement made that the HHOF is about records first, greatness second...not sure I agree even remotely.

examples; Paul Henderson, Larionov, Tretiak, Neely, Kharlamov, Fuhr...the list goes on...

These are players there due to their 'greatness' not so much their stats and or records...

Taking that into account, and taking nothing at all away from Hull, that is why the choice for Yzerman as who I would give my number 1 vote to, is easy for me...
Go to Top of Page

Guest6060
( )

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  14:02:20  Reply with Quote
Well Slozo,

if you want to look at the accomplishments, then its still Stevie Y hand down.

Yzerman Vs Hull

6 100+ point seasons vs 4
8 90+ point seasons vs 5
12 80+point seasons vs 8
1755 career points vs 1391
1514 games vs 1269
155 AND a 137 point season vs 131

Longest serving captain.

Hull has 741 goals but 692 isn't too shabby either. The fact that he played at the same time during his prime as Gretzky and Lemieux doesn't diminish what he has done.

Hull deserves to be there, but I would suspect that most would want Stevie Y in his prime over Hull in his prime on their team.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  15:36:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think that if Hull did not become and American and play for them internationally, Hull would get it over Yzerman by many people.

I have a ton of respect for Hull for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he was basically shunned and lefted for hockey dead by the Flames. He pulled himself up by his bootstraps and become one of the best all time goal scorers. And for the same reason some people dislike him, I give him respect for having the cones to become an American. I mean, to be a Canadian and play for the US??? That's unheard of.

And as much as I love Stevie Y, I don't agree that 'most ' would take him over Hull in their prime. In his prime, only Gretzky, Lemieux, and maybe Bossy were better(in their prime) at scoring goals than Hull. Yzerman was a brilliant player as well, but I don't recall him ever leading the league in goals, assists, or points.

Hull, at his best, was the best at what he did. Yzerman, at his best, had others as good as him.

I will say that Yzerman was better for longer.

If I was building an all time best ever line up, Hull would be there. Not sure if Yzerman would be.

I go with Hull.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  18:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brett was Canadian by birth only; he grew up, spent his formative years, and gained his education in the US, so it made perfect sense that he became an American citizen.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  01:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great arguments all around. I guess that's why i said this was a tough poll? Really, if i had to pick one outright, it'd be Stevie Y.

I will say though, there's some really good arguments for the others, especially Hull.

Without going back and looking at the team Canada rosters for Canada Cups, did Stevie Y not miss that squad on a few occasions? Not taking anything away from him, and really, it's just showing how deep Canada is/was, but you gotta wonder if Hull would have made some of those squads if he's stayed as a Canadian?

I could be wrong, but this is going from memory....
Go to Top of Page

Guest6140
( )

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:04:34  Reply with Quote
No contest there Steve Y is the ultimate all round player. I think brett hull is the biggest doushe bag out there, Way to go TEAM USA
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Beans. I would enter Brett Hull in to the Hall first, before Stevie Y. Both plenty deserving, but Hull had a much better perfomance "stats" wise.

Both great, both deserving. But Hull put up noticable numbers, where Stevie had players just as good if not better playing.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest0194
( )

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  14:39:13  Reply with Quote
Steve Yzerman was engaged to my neighbours daughter when he lived in Nepean but than he moved to Detroit
Go to Top of Page

Guest0834
( )

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  20:01:16  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm sure this was plagiarized from somewhere else too.

Back on topic. Remember Stevie Y was an all out offensive machine. Bowman asked him to change his game to be more complete if he wanted to win the cup. So he (grudgingly at the time) gave up some of his statistical "goals" and went with the Stanley Cup goals and became a more complete player but still putting up gaudy stats.

155 point season is 3rd highest all time. You know the other two who have more. If it wasn't for an injury in 2004 he would have been on the Olympic team.

Hull one of the greatest sniper off all time, was one dimensional.

Compare Stevie's peak 7 year span vs Hull's peak 5 yrs. On average Stevie out produced Hull and he was a more rounded player at the end.

Stevie Y gets the vote over Hull by an inch.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4555
( )

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  07:53:40  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

I have to agree with Beans. I would enter Brett Hull in to the Hall first, before Stevie Y. Both plenty deserving, but Hull had a much better perfomance "stats" wise.

Both great, both deserving. But Hull put up noticable numbers, where Stevie had players just as good if not better playing.

Irvine

I don't understand how you can say that when Yzerman had more points. The guy finished SIXTH ALL-TIME in points. Just because he played in an era that had a Gretzky and a Lemieux in it does not diminish what he accomplished.

Hull finished 19th all time, a great feat, but 6th is better than 19th. Stats wise, Yzerman is better.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4555
( )

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  07:55:55  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4555

quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Irvine

I don't understand how you can say that when Yzerman had more points. The guy finished SIXTH ALL-TIME in points. Just because he played in an era that had a Gretzky and a Lemieux in it does not diminish what he accomplished.

Hull finished 19th all time, a great feat, but 6th is better than 19th. Stats wise, Yzerman is better.

Hull is a better goal scorer, Yzerman is a better all round player, Thats why you would take Yzerman over Hull. He can do it all.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6840
( )

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  16:51:34  Reply with Quote
They all deserve a spot but none of them are better then the others... i voted steve Y because he built up his name the most, of course none of them are as good as Mike Green or Bobby Orr but they are obviously better then Crosby or Gretzky...

CROSBY RETIRE THE WORLD HATES YOU!
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  19:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6840

They all deserve a spot but none of them are better then the others... i voted steve Y because he built up his name the most, of course none of them are as good as Mike Green or Bobby Orr but they are obviously better then Crosby or Gretzky...

Uhhhh....I have no choice but to presume that the clown face icon is a self portrait.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  00:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:
Originally posted by Guest6840

Uhhhh....I have no choice but to presume that the clown face icon is a self portrait.

Fat Elvis...I'm not entirely sure of what you meant about the clown comment. Either it's regarding the Crosby comment, or, IMO, better yet, it's the Mike Green comment?
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  10:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stevie Y is an all around classy guy. Met him at a Red Deer Rebels game a couple weeks ago and he signed many, many autographs. I think certain players garner more respect than others on the ice as well and Stevie was one of them. You ask any player what they think of Stevie Y and you will never hear anyone slander him. Obviously I gave my vote to him. I know it isn't a popularity contest but when you put up the numbers he did in his career and you're still as humble as he is that makes you above and beyond a hall of famer that makes you an exceptional person, a lot like Gretzky. I am willing to bet if the Olympics were over and Canada had won the gold there would be even more votes for Stevie Y. That being said there are no bad choices here, good to see all these guys getting inducted into the HHOF as they all kick a$$ in their own way.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."

Edited by - Gusteroni on 11/10/2009 10:08:15
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2009 :  10:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yzerman is better in point per game production.

Again, 6th all time in points vs 19th.

How can anybody say Hull was better stats wise? The STATS just don't say anything of the sort.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page