Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Sens Cup Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9044
( )

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  05:06:17  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you think the sens have a chance of winning the stanley cup

Choices:

Yeah
Not on your life
Maybe

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  16:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9044

Do you think the sens have a chance of winning the stanley cup

I take it you mean this year? Their only chance is if Leclaire returns to form of 2 seasons ago when he had 10+ shutouts. Unlikley at best.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  22:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sens have the same chance as most playoff-bubble teams. That is to say, not very much of one. Check the lines in vegas for the statistical probability. As of now, there are only a handful of teams that anyone can argue to have 'no' chance of winning the cup.

1) Toronto
2) Islanders
3) Panthers
4) Preds

Everyone else has at least a chance in hell of pulling it off- even Carolina who is dead last in the league, and lost something like 13 straight. If you sneak in and your goalie catches fire at the right time, you can find yourself in a final.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9042
( )

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  06:25:44  Reply with Quote
The sens are a good team when they try hard, but like last game, they sagged off instead of pressing. Leclaire has to be better but it starts with the offence backchecking. I think the sens can beat any team they want to if they TRY and stay CONFIDENT. Alfredson is playing great, Fisher is playing great, now all we need is Kovalev, Spezza and Cheechoo to turn things on and the sens will be a solid, cup contender team.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  15:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9042

The sens are a good team when they try hard, but like last game, they sagged off instead of pressing. Leclaire has to be better but it starts with the offence backchecking. I think the sens can beat any team they want to if they TRY and stay CONFIDENT. Alfredson is playing great, Fisher is playing great, now all we need is Kovalev, Spezza and Cheechoo to turn things on and the sens will be a solid, cup contender team.

Actually I think Spezza Michalek Alfie and Fisher have all played great if I were Clouston I try and get Kovalev going by making the top two lines look like the
Cheechoo Spezza Kovalev
Michalek Fisher Alfie

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the ottawa senators have about as much of a chance to win the stanley cup as the boston celtics have of winning the super bowl....zero!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2009 :  14:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phlyguy90

the ottawa senators have about as much of a chance to win the stanley cup as the boston celtics have of winning the super bowl....zero!!!

Well that's a little agressive. I wouldn't say 0%.They are in the NHL, so they have at least a slight chance!

They play great against the weak teams and average to below average against the better teams. Even a slightly above average team like Philly (16th in the Standings Today) show how many holes the Sens have with a 5-1 spanking.

On paper, they should be doing better, but 2 of their key players (Kovalev and Cheechoo) should have just mailed it in from the pressbox. They have the tools, the talent, and the coaching yet something in amiss in the Nation's Capital.

I would agree that the likelihood is slim, but 0%??? Didn't the Celtic's just trade for Adrian Petterson?? They have a shot!!!
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  14:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how are the flyers slightly above average? top to bottom they may have the most talented roster in the nhl. and you can look at the standings right now...they have played fewer games than everyone else.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  14:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phlyguy, no disrespect cause I think your team has a better shot than my team, but Philly is in the top 1/3 of the league not the top spot. I really thought with the roster my team got the would be in the top 1/3 as well. Hope they gel prior to trade deadline or I am watching the playoffs without ambition, just like last year.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  15:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sensfan101

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9042

Actually I think Spezza Michalek Alfie and Fisher have all played great if I were Clouston I try and get Kovalev going by making the top two lines look like the
Cheechoo Spezza Kovalev
Michalek Fisher Alfie

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

I said it when they traded for him and I'm repeating it now, Cheechoo belongs on a grinder line. Make room for up and coming players. Cheechoo is not the player we though he was the one and only time he found the magic with Thorton. He would play better with the pressure off and may even improve on a speedy physical checking line along with Neil and Foligno.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  18:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

how are the flyers slightly above average? top to bottom they may have the most talented roster in the nhl. and you can look at the standings right now...they have played fewer games than everyone else.

I can appreciate a fan bias, but the most talented roster in the NHL?? Seriously??

I put, at the least, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Washington, Boston, Calgary, Detroit, Chicago, San Jose ahead of Philly in regards to "top to bottom talent."

Philly is solid through the middle and on the left. But they only have 1 decent right winger and at least 3 of their defensemen are average at best. Goaltending still isn't the strongest in the league either.

Above average yes. Top 10 in the league, I might even agree to. Most talented in the league, not even close.

And when you bring up less games than anyone else, might want to make sure those numbers are right. 5 other teams have played the same amout or fewer games. Of those teams, 4 of them are within 3 points and one has the same number of points and exact same record.(Buffalo).

No one is putting Buffalo as an elite team in the league.

I hate to break it down, but the only thing in the NHL that matters is the standings. There are currently 18 teams within 3 games of each other between 20 and 26 points. Philly is on the higher end of that, but they have not shown anything about being and 'elite' team. At least not to this point.

Edited by - Beans15 on 11/19/2009 18:33:43
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  08:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please dont turn this into a topic about Philly. Hard enough to get a intellegent conversation going about the Sen's without some jackass talking about the Penguins, Leafs or Montreal.

BTW how'd you like the 6-2 last night against Pittsburg. I know there down a few defenseman, but who isn't right now.
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  12:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it would be an intelligent conversation if it was an intelligent question. sens have no chance....they wont even make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  12:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice of you to drop in on an intellegent question with an unintellegent response. Par for the course for you lately Phlyguy. As of today 6th in the East and improving. 2 points behind Philly for that matter. Face it, Philly is getting by with Senators sloppy second`s (Emery).
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  12:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hahaha the season is still young my friend. if the season ended today the bruins and red wings would be on the outside looking in.....not gonna be that way at the end of the season.
Go to Top of Page

phlyguy90
Rookie

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  12:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and for the record beans....new jersey cant score and washington cant stop anyone from scoring. it'll hurt them down the stretch my man.
Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  13:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ottawa may even be playing just as good as back in the day when they were at the top of the standings, however they may also be benefiting from not having any pressure right now.

Lets see what happens when they finally get volchenkov back, catch buffalo, and move into the division lead... then people will start to take note.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  14:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gotta change my status pick! Thought I made those incredible claims in the last post. Sorry fellow Sens fan, they are nowhere near the form from 2-3 seasons ago. But now they at least have a more balanced attack and (except Cheechoo) are living up to offensive potential thoughout the lineup. If only Spezza can get some chemistry in this lineup will they return to form, but that only gets them to playoffs. Not anywhere near tops in the East let alone the league
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  15:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

and for the record beans....new jersey cant score and washington cant stop anyone from scoring. it'll hurt them down the stretch my man.

You may be right, but I also know the Oilers in the 80's couldn't stop anyone from scoring and the Devils in the 90's couldn't score.

That didn't stop them from winning, did it??

Go to Top of Page

Guest6567
( )

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  19:06:24  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Open_Ice

Ottawa may even be playing just as good as back in the day when they were at the top of the standings, however they may also be benefiting from not having any pressure right now.

Lets see what happens when they finally get volchenkov back, catch buffalo, and move into the division lead... then people will start to take note.

Apologies for saying I told you so but...

With 4 consecutive wins over the leafs, pens, sabres, and caps the sens have moved into the division lead --without even getting volchenkov back!

Ottawa has never really had four solid lines like this and I think they are more of a threat than a couple years ago when teams could shut down ottawas only line and win rather easily...
Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  19:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^ That of course being me.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  10:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I really gotta change my pick cause now it looks like Im arguing with myself.

Tell me who is going to lead this team in scoring? Which if any is going to crack the top ten in the NHL in points, assists or goals? Which of there goalies is gonna be the horse who they ride to the Stanley cup finals? Who is the Dominant D-man which blasts from the point?

My point is when they went to the Finals they had all those characteristics. Now they have balanced scoring thoughout 3 not 4 lines. The balanced scoring hasn't returned them to the highest scoring team in the league or lead there powerplay to the tops in the league. The Spezza, Alfredson, Heatly show gave them that.

This is a good start but they need the finishing touches to return to the form they had in the cup final years.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  12:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A real kick in the a$$ with Pascal having his cheek bone broken while sitting on the bench...out at least 4 weeks. Can the Sens still contend with Elliot?

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  15:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gusteroni

A real kick in the a$$ with Pascal having his cheek bone broken while sitting on the bench...out at least 4 weeks. Can the Sens still contend with Elliot?

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."

Yes. Elliot is young but capable. Proved he could start in the league last year. Pascal was brought in because Murray seen an opportunity for a proven #1. While Pascal was sitting Elliot was putting wins up with an ever improving team which had confidence in Elliot. Pretty much cost Auld and Gerber there position and future on the team. This year he has seen as many games but has showed up for every opportunity.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page