Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Canada's top sniper Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest0218
( )

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:10:47  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Ok so we all know about the Ovechkins, Kovalchuks, Gaboriks, Zetterbergs, Datsyuks, Vaneks and Kopitars of the NHL . Europea seem to breed snipers.

But who would you say is Canada's best pure goal scorer?

I don't really want to put guys like Stamkos, Penner, Neal, Moulson, Tavares, Laich, etc on the list who are only putting up good goal scoring numbers this year or are unproven, but if you think it's one of them then other is there for you.

Choices:

Nash
Crosby
Iginla
Perry
Cammalleri
Heatley
Carter
Richards
Staal
Gagne
Marleau
St Louis
Toews
Lecavalier
Other

Edited by - willus3 on 11/22/2009 17:31:11

Guest4735
( )

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:16:42  Reply with Quote
I would go with Heatley in my opinion.

But Carter showed the skill he had in the World Juniors last year by sniping many times. He is my second choice.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0218
( )

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:21:38  Reply with Quote
Holy Crap, how did I forget Heatley, complete mental gap. Any moderator out there, feel free to shove in Heatley and take out say Toews.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This poll desperately needs Heatley in it, who should be neck and neck with Nash.

Heatley has reached the 50 goal plateau more than once, while Nash never has . . . this should tell you the winner right away.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:23:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and btw, you can edit your own poll.

Go to Top of Page

Guest0218
( )

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:23:54  Reply with Quote
Personally, I voted for Nash, I think he scores more highlight reel goals each year than most skaters do in a career.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0218
( )

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:26:09  Reply with Quote
Thanks Slozo, how do you do this
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
click on the little icon with the paper and pencil

Go to Top of Page

Guest0218
( )

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:38:34  Reply with Quote
Nope, I don't have that icon. Is this a guest restriction? I may have to just sign up one of these days...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  20:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In order, Canada's top 5 snipers

1 - Dany Heatley
2 - Rick Nash
3 - Jerome Iginla
4 - Eric Staal
5 - Simon Gagne

Carter gets an honorable mention, but one 40+ goal season doesn't do it for me. I also think that the like of St. Louis and Marleau are under rated scorers.

Gagne's past 3 seasons when he played at least 70 games are 47 goals, 41 goals, and 34 goals. Eric Staal, when healthy is also good for 40+.

Iginla, and Nash are 45ish goal guys on a good year. Heatley, hands down is the best Canadian sniper. I mean, not even close. Say what you will about whatever happened in Ottawa, but he is on pace for 50 again. That would mean 3-50 goals seasons in the past 5 seasons and 229 goals in 5 year, an average of 46 a season.

No doubt, I put Heatley one. Nash and Iginla are 2 and 3.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  21:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley added. Briere removed. Other is still an option.

FYI, guests can not edit their posts, only members.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0965
( )

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  01:32:59  Reply with Quote
Definitely Heatley, even his slap shots are really accurate, sure some people might hate him, but hes still a damn good player.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  08:16:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley based on past performances. I figure in a year or so Stamkos and Tavares will be on this list. Penner is finally playing like he might belong as well, but too soon to tell
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  09:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatley is #1 easy. He picks his spots very well and seems to gravitate to where the puck is going to be. He has a heck of a wrist shot and can use his speed well making him perfect sniper material. Some of the younger guys on this list will definitely be considered for this in the near future.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

Guest9818
( )

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  10:17:09  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure Heatley is easily no.1. I think Nash would have a lot to say about that.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9818
( )

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  10:21:45  Reply with Quote
Nash has been getting better every year, and I think there may be a chance that the pecking order gets changed this year. You have to remember Nash has never really had a true set up man. Heatley's always had a Spezza, Thornton or Savard.

Nash's collection of highlight reel goals is incredible.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0598
( )

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  11:39:41  Reply with Quote
I chose Nash, but that's because I think he brings a little more to the game than Heatly does. I guess based on the name of the poll, best pure goal scorer, Heatly should have been my choice, but Nash is not only an amazing scorer but a viable option for the pk. His defensive game has greatly improved since he's started and if you gave him a true set up man, I think he could easily be a perennial 50+ scorer
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  11:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's painfully obvious that Heatley's issues of the summer have clouded many opinions.

Heatley always has been a viable option on the PK, with every team he has played for. Size wise, Heatley is 1" shorter and 2 lbs ligher. Insignificant. Both are highly athletic for players their size.

Look at Heatley's 'pedigree' (I hate that word). Internationally speaking, Heatley was an World Champion All Star, 2 times World Championship best forward, and 2 times World Champion MVP as recently as 2008. Nash has also been a WC MVP and All star, but not as much as Heatley.

Both are really solid, there is not doubt. And it is a nice problem to have as a Team Canada fan as who is better because they will both be there.

Heatley is my pick.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  13:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very easy for me.

Heatley.

I'm a big Heatley fan, in fact he was my favorite Senator (when Chara left,) and now that he's gone I still find my self a big fan. This guy can score. If you let him in the slot, you can almost garuntee he's scoring on you.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest0931
( )

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  06:18:25  Reply with Quote
looks like Heater answered the bell last night. You may not like him but damn he can put the puck in the net.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  08:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Nash. because I find he does an amazing job of putting the puck in the net in so many different ways with no great playmakers on his side. Where Heatley had Spezza and now Thornton. Did he play with Savard for a year or two?????

Iginla and Heatley were the next two.
Go to Top of Page

Kirby
Top Prospect

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  10:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heatly, no question. This guy is maybe the second best sniper in the NHL behind Ovechkin. And I hate heatley

I skate where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.-Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Guest2922
( )

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  13:58:15  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

I voted for Nash. because I find he does an amazing job of putting the puck in the net in so many different ways with no great playmakers on his side. Where Heatley had Spezza and now Thornton. Did he play with Savard for a year or two?????

Iginla and Heatley were the next two.

Thats it
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2009 :  14:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toss up between Heatley and Nash I give it to nash just based on the lower caliber line mates he plays with.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  12:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Nash's line mates arguement is not really valid. Ray Whitney, Andrew Cassels, David Vyborny, Nikolai Zhervdev, Sergei Fedorov, Kristian Huselius, Fredrik Modin, and Derek Brasard are all more than capable 1st and 2nd line players.

Don't get me wrong, Spezza and Thornton are both brilliant players and are a step above any I've listed as set up men. But Nash has played with far from garbage.

And something few people may realize is that Heatley, at least in the early part of his career, set up as much as he scored. He lead ATL in assists his first season ther with 41 assists. The next closes guy had 26. In the next 6 season, only once I found where he was not in the top 3 of his team in assists.

The last season Heatley Scored 50 goals, he had 55 assists, which was MORE than Jason Spezza.

The line mate arguement is weak at best and Heatley has proven that he scores regardless of who he plays will.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  12:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So again I repeat its a toss up i give it to Nash based on the loer calibre linemates as compared to heatley who throughout his career has been planked with all stars in kovalchuck, spezza, and alfredsson who are heads and shoulders above all those guys except for federov who was in the twilight of his career and not the heart trophy federov by an means so essentially what you wrote proved my point. Didn't say Nash was playing with ECHL wingers.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  12:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I have to say . . . the linemate argument is not weak, actually. It's compelling enough for me.

For Heatley, you forgot a couple of other high calibre linemates he has played with on Atlanta - Slava Kozlov, Marc Savard. It is also worth noting that the only time Heatley had only one highly skilled player to play with was 2002, his rookie year, when he played with Kovalchuk and a pylon.

While with Ottawa, Heatley, Spezza and Alfie have all switched around quite a bit, but in their heyday, they were a solid line that was mostly kept together. Of note, we can look at Heatley's last year in Ottawa, when Alfredsson almost never played with Spezza and Heatley, and we see a big drop in Heatley's totals.

It's food for thought, at any rate. Some players f this calibre can do well in any situation, playing with anyone - they always seem to get their points (Marleau and the aforementioned Alfredsson come to mind). If Heatley were playing on San Jose's second line instead of Marleau - a straight switch - would he have Marleau's stats right now? Or worse?

I'll still take Heatley over Nash . . . but this makes it very close for me - very close. And maybe, I actually rate Iggy second, now that I think of it.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9237
( )

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  13:46:56  Reply with Quote
I'm going with Iggy, the guy always has 2nd line calibre linemates (sometimes even worse) and still gets the job done. His shot is about equal to Heatley's in my opinion and Nash doesnt really 'snipe' persay.. he just is a goalscorer period. He gets goals I don't find to many are snipes but mostly dangles/power forward goals.

With Heatley its noted that he only produces when he has star calibre linemates. See last year when they switched the lines around every second, he didn't get big numbers. But nonetheless a snipe, unreal shot. I think its a toss up between him and Iggy but i give Iggy the edge.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  14:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is something interesting:

Heatley, in 50 International Games (not counting WJC) has 35 goals for 0.70 GPG average.

Nash is very close with 21 goals in 33 International Games for 0.63 GPG average.

Iginla, who many consider Canada's #3 or at least in the top 5 has just 9 goals in 29 International games for .031 GPG.

Other notable names are Simon Gagne with 6 goals in 26 international games (0.23 GPG), Lecavalier has 4 goals in 12 games (0.33), St. Louis has 8 goals in 24 games (0.33), and Joe Thornton has 7 goals in 20 games (0.35).

I would agree that Heatley and Nash are 1 and 2. What ever way you want them, it's irrelevant. I think this also shows how balanced Canada's scoring is internationally.

The only other player I've found who is available to play higher than .4 GPG is Paul Kariya. I just don't see him taking any spot on the 2010 Olympic Team. Sakic was also higher than .4 GPG, but I think he's busy cutting off his fingers in his snow blower.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page