Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 best defenseman Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest5266
( )

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  16:26:27  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
who is the best defenseman right now?

Choices:

Dion phaneuf
Zdeno chara
sheldon souray
mike green
nicklas lidstrom
sergei gonchar
scott niedermayer
chris pronger
brent seabrook
dan boyle

Edited by - willus3 on 11/18/2009 17:08:42

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  18:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gotta go with my boy boyle. He can do it all, he plays on the pk and the powerplay. He is one of the best skaters in the game today (imo) and can control how the game is being played. when the sharks are scrambling, he's the one that slows the play down and lets the guys regroup. Aside from thornton and marleau, he's really the go to guy. most importantly he is one of the leaders on his team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  20:44:32  Reply with Quote
being a huge Oiler fan this decision was easy...Robyn Regehr why???? watch the guy play.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  08:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as i can't stand the guy, my vote went to Pronger. However, let me qualify that........

The question is "Who is the best defenseman right now?" Well, that's not completely clear / obvious as to the definition so i've defined it as "If my team were entering the playoffs today, which one defenseman would i choose to add to my team for a playoff run if i had my choice"?

I feel, Pronger brings it all. Tough, physical play all over the ice, not just in front of his net. Some offense and power play time if needed (not the top PP dman by any means but not bad), can kill penalties and can eat up a fair chunk of ice time. Great all around dman.

If this question implies "who would i take if it were an expansion draft and i could have my pick?", no chance i take Pronger due to his age. In that case, i'd prob go with Phaneuf or Seabrook due to age. If i could, i'd go off the board and take Shea Weber actually.

Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  11:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a bit torn between Boyle and Pronger but in the end went with Boyle. He has some good numbers so far this year and I'm sure he will continue to truck along. He has got some great chemistry with his forwards and will prove to be an impact player when he's in the playoffs. Pronger has to be on this list too with a +/- of +14...that's incredible. As much as some will disagree you should have Kaberle on this list. He is leading all defensman with 21Pts (2G, 19A) although one strike against him is his +/- of -5, that isn't that bad when you are playing for the Leafs this year. Infact he is leading everyone on the team in points, Stajan is second with 12 (ouch). I also like that Kaberle has only taken 6 PIM so far.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."

Edited by - Gusteroni on 11/19/2009 11:41:20
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  12:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gus.....agreed, Kaberle is a very good dman and maybe could be on that list. However, would you have picked him over Boyle? If so, that's prob why he wasn't included. There's so many Leaf fans that most would prob pick with their heart and Kabby would be leading the poll, when clearly he's not as good as some on it.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  13:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Gus.....agreed, Kaberle is a very good dman and maybe could be on that list. However, would you have picked him over Boyle? If so, that's prob why he wasn't included. There's so many Leaf fans that most would prob pick with their heart and Kabby would be leading the poll, when clearly he's not as good as some on it.

Alex, you're probably right...there are a lot of Leaf fans on this forum. Infact I almost changed my decision to Kaberle but in the end I didn't go with my heart. Boyle and Prongs are the best choices on this list and arguably in the NHL right now.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  08:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny I'm of the opinion that Chara is the Defensman who brings the complete package. He's younger than Pronger my second choice. My pick is based on the fact your starting a Expansion franchise and you want a defensman to build a team around. Other guys are great, but none of them bring all the entangibles that those 2 do.

I agree with the Oilers fan who said Regher would be a good choice, he doesn't possess the offensive skill of the other picks. Its like picking Green or Gonchar cause they can light it up they dont excell in the defensive aspects.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  09:43:45  Reply with Quote
Drew Doughty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page