Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 most under rated player/goalie Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  20:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right now im thinking the most under rated goalie would be j.s gigure hes doing so well with 17-4 and everyone is lookin at ryan miller and sayin hes the best

and most underrated player i would say brain rolston people know that hes there and hes pretty good but i dont think people know his true potential

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  20:38:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say the most underrated goalie is Patrick Lalime and the player would be Ryan Kesler

Shawn Howard
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  21:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UNDERRATED PATRICK LALIME???????????????????????? He is literally the worst NHL goalie I have ever seen.

Underrated skater: Patrick Marleau, Milan Michalek (obviously I say them) but it's true. You don't get much exposure in California.

I'm going to bed so I'll add more players later.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 12/08/2006 21:02:20
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  21:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant Martin Gerber
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  08:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So did I...
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  23:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sure you did
Go to Top of Page

Reiko24
Top Prospect

22 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  20:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris Drury is underrated big time
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  20:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reiko24

Chris Drury is underrated big time

i dunno about drury
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  20:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For goalie I couldn't decide. E. Belfour, K. Weekes, C. Joseph, and J.S Aubin are my oicks for goalies...these picks will robably start something up in this topic
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  21:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't even dignify that comment with a rebuttle.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  21:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  07:49:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goalie - I agree with saying Giguere. Everybody is still talking about how Bryzgalov played so well in lastyear's playoffs, but Giggy is #1 now.

Skater - I would have to pick a couple Sens right off the bat and say Fisher or Schaeffer. I am Peter Schaeffer's #1 non-family-or-close-friend fan...and I still may have just misspelled his name! lol

I also think a couple of the Pens young guys are better than their stats say...Armstrong, Oulette

Go Sens
Go to Top of Page

Guest4785
( )

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  16:42:26  Reply with Quote
Some of you pplz dont even no hockey!!! who in their right mind would think Martin Gerber, Patrick Lalime, Ed Belfour, Kevin Weekes, Curtis Joseph and J.S. Aubin to be underrated????

These are some of/ or are the worst goalie's in the leauge( excluding J.S. Aubin because he's a backup and plays well when called upon)

Novie and semin-rules had a good point on J.S. Giguere on being an underrated goalie and I 100% agree with them. ( Good for them for ACTUALLY watchin hockey)

As for underrated player-Mats Sundin

Everyone says he iznt a leader but he gives 110% on the ice and is the only reason the leafs are in a chance to make the playoffs. And the media riding him doesnt help either.

Bablaboushka also made a good point on Marleau being underrated.

Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  07:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4785

As for underrated player-Mats Sundin

Um....taking a stab and saying you're not from Canada, or anywhere that you can pick up Leaf's telecasts?

Or you're "one of them"....

(Leafs fan)

Go Sens
Go to Top of Page

Guest4785
( )

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  17:40:29  Reply with Quote
quote:
Um....taking a stab and saying you're not from Canada, or anywhere that you can pick up Leaf's telecasts?

Im a Leafs fan Novieand proud of it.
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  17:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To 4785, The reason I say Belfour is underrated is becasuse he is the 3rd goaile in histroy with most wins behind Roy and Brodeur(this also edits a past note when I said he was 2nd). Belfour is 41 and still plays his position well. He can still play, not as well as he once did but, he scan still play. Weekes is just a bit underrated in my mind because he is completely covered in the shadow of Henrik Lundqvist. Weekes can certainly come up big in games, he's proved that already...to me at least. Joseph has gotten the S-H-!-T end of the stick im afraid. He did sort of bring it upon himself though, he wasn't so hot in 05/06 which severely degraded his image. I believe he still has great goaltending skills but plays with the coyotes...enough said about his back up. I'm not saying any of these guys are a Martin Brodeur or who ever but I believe these guys have been casted aside and forgotten about. Just personal opinions that I stick to strongly. All these guys can play well(Belfour at his age with less consistency)and should be thought higher of.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4101
( )

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  18:47:05  Reply with Quote
I agree that J S Giguere is a solid goalie on a real hot streak. However, I'd hardly say he's underrated.

He plays on the hottested team in the NHL right now (killer offense - they lead the west with 123 goals scored; killer defense - Pronger and Niedermayer united... no more needs to be said). Though he may not have Vezina Trophies to his name like Brodeur and Hasek, Giguere posted a 2.13 GAA in 01-02 and went on to post 8 shutouts, win 34 of 65, and lead his team to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final in 02-03. It was no surprise that he won the title of Playoff MVP that year despite not actually winning the cup. Last year he recorded points in 41 of 60 games, and this year he's on an unbelievable streak of 21-2-5. This guy most certainly did not come out of nowhere. Anyone who is underrating him clearly has his head under a rock.

As for Ed Belfour.... he may have a high position on the all-time lists, but he hasn't been moving much in the last few years. Does anyone remember last year with the Leafs when it took him 9 games to finally get the one win he needed to tie him with Terry Sawchuk on the all-time wins list? And it took a 9-6 margin to secure that win. WIth 6 goals allowed, that's hardly much effort on his part. Belfour may have had a great career in the past, but he's hardly living up to it lately, and a lame Florida squad is hardly giving him an opportunity to shine. Patrick Roy and Dominik Hasek have both played much MUCH better in old age.

In my opinion, the best underrated goalie this year is Vesa Toskala. Despite seeing little ice time (only 18 games played), he has an astounding record of 14-4-0, with 3 shutouts and 1 assist. This guy's stats have been steadlily improving as he's been seeing more and more ice time over the past few years. This looks like it'll be his breakout year.

The best underrated player I think would have to be the rookie Alexander Radulov on the Nashville Predators. This guy has 10 goals in only 18 games despite seeing an average of 8 minutes of ice time a game. No question, this guy has the best goals/time-on-ice ratio in the NHL this season. And most of that ice time he only saw when star scorers Jason Arnott and Steve Sullivan were out on injury. Ironically, until yesterday's thrashing of the Senators, Radulov had more goals than Sullivan, the team leader in points. This guy needs to see more play!!!
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  19:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Belfour may have had a great career in the past, but he's hardly living up to it lately"
Look at Gretzky, his team is a huge disappointment. He who leads the league in all time points has made some very bad moves for the team. The only difference is Belfour can play well and its hard to try and win with the leafs as your back up, last years leeafs i should say.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  19:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4101

In my opinion, the best underrated goalie this year is Vesa Toskala. Despite seeing little ice time (only 18 games played), he has an astounding record of 14-4-0, with 3 shutouts and 1 assist. This guy's stats have been steadlily improving as he's been seeing more and more ice time over the past few years. This looks like it'll be his breakout year.

Thank you.

Also your assessment on Radulov is very accurate and you make a very good point. I would compare him to Joe Pavelski for the Sharks who has 7 goals in 10 games since being called up from the AHL (his first NHL action ever) but he gets much more icetime than Radulov, who is doing incredibly. Give this guy powerplay time and who knows what could happen.
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  22:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that the most underrated player in the NHL right now is Patrick Marleau. Close behind him, that no one mentioned yet, I think is Marc Savard. 97pts last season and didn't get any attention at all for it. He was one point behind Kovalchuk and this year leads the Bruins with 36pts in 29 games. He is underrated.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  09:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ED11

I think that the most underrated player in the NHL right now is Patrick Marleau. Close behind him, that no one mentioned yet, I think is Marc Savard. 97pts last season and didn't get any attention at all for it. He was one point behind Kovalchuk and this year leads the Bruins with 36pts in 29 games. He is underrated.

The quality of this forum is getting better and better! I also completely agree with your assessment of Marc Savard. He has often been overshadowed by the superstars he's played with, when often he's the one feeding them the puck.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4101
( )

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  11:18:13  Reply with Quote
Another really underrated player is Michael Nylander. NHL leading active goal scorers Shanahan and Jagr get all the media attention for the Rangers, but playmaking Nylander sets them all up. He's currently slumping at 5th in assists, 10th in points, but for a lot of the season he was leading in assists and in the top 5 for points. He's consistently been ahead of Shanahan in points. And this guy only gets paid 2.3 mil.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  15:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

I'd say the most underrated goalie is Patrick Lalime and the player would be Ryan Kesler

Shawn Howard

How is Kesler underrated? He sucks. Hes overrated in my books considering Bobby Clarke's crazy $1.9 million offer. Stupid Nonis had to match it in what was basically a pissing contest between the two. Now we are stcuk with an overrated useless third line player.

Bitter? Nahhhhh
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  00:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick lalime was solid.....he had one bad game againts the greatest team (toronto)....in 2003 he was soooooooooooooooooooo good in the playoffs and yet everyone slammed his playoff performance..Don't get me wrong I'm a big ray emery fan, but there was nothing wrong with lalime. He struggled in st. Louis b/c his confidence was shattered.....he was a great guy too...and I'm sad he'll never be back.....although I'd rather see felix potvin (that's the greatest man of them all)

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  19:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ED11
[br Close behind him, that no one mentioned yet, I think is Marc Savard. 97pts last season and didn't get any attention at all for it. He was one point behind Kovalchuk and this year leads the Bruins with 36pts in 29 games. He is underrated.

i totaly agree with that!!!!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  15:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think that chris clark is really underrated because hes in the shadow of ovy so he doesnt get much glory, when really he sets up most of everything that ovy has done
Go to Top of Page

the hockey guy
Rookie

Canada
135 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  17:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kashmire

To 4785, The reason I say Belfour is underrated is becasuse he is the 3rd goaile in histroy with most wins behind Roy and Brodeur(this also edits a past note when I said he was 2nd). Belfour is 41 and still plays his position well. He can still play, not as well as he once did but, he scan still play. Weekes is just a bit underrated in my mind because he is completely covered in the shadow of Henrik Lundqvist. Weekes can certainly come up big in games, he's proved that already...to me at least. Joseph has gotten the S-H-!-T end of the stick im afraid. He did sort of bring it upon himself though, he wasn't so hot in 05/06 which severely degraded his image. I believe he still has great goaltending skills but plays with the coyotes...enough said about his back up. I'm not saying any of these guys are a Martin Brodeur or who ever but I believe these guys have been casted aside and forgotten about. Just personal opinions that I stick to strongly. All these guys can play well(Belfour at his age with less consistency)and should be thought higher of.

well the first part of the paragraph i dont agree with and i didnt bother reading the rest. Belfore is not that great and is for sure not underrated but he might possibly be overatted
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  18:02:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say the most underrated player (as a captain) is Saku Koivu. He's been with the Canadiens for 11 years, undergone several shoulder surgeries, missed nearly an entire season with cancer that he was able to recover from, had a stick shoved in his eye and almost lost vision, became Montreal's first ever European captain, won a Masterton trophy, and has been essential in international competitions and in the Olympics in Turin, and is still playing. Yet he really doesn't get that much attention. He's a great leader for the Habs and a great player who's endured so many injuries and even cancer and has been able to conquer all of them. But you hardly hear about him. Except when he gets injured.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 12/23/2006 18:03:35
Go to Top of Page

Blubberboy
Rookie

155 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  17:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alexandre Burrows.
He is doing great.

Go Canucks
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  18:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, big time, with Savard, Nylander and Drury! And Marleau has always been under appreciated. He's a great player!

Can Paul Kariya with the Nashville Predators be considered 'under rated' these days? He goes about his business pretty quietly, and a lot of people think he is too small and damaged goods. Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  08:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion Martin Straka, Vesa Toskala, and maybe Patrice Bergeron are underrated. Toskala for sure!. Anyone remember the '06 playoffs? Guess not cuz this guy was amazing and he should be #1 goalie somewhere else. I think that (dare i say cuz i'm an Oiler fan) Roloson is way overrated and that Toskala should be gettin more attention than Rolie. Look at Roloson's record 15-15-and somethin and he's considered and elite goalie?? COME ON GIMME A BREAK!! If he starts playin more consistent then maybe but until then i don't see why he's on an all-star ballot and Toskala isn't. As for Straka, he's in the same shoes as Nylander playing in the shadows of Shanny and Jagr. But would Shanny and Jagr have as many points as they do if Nylander and Straka weren't there? Doubt it!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  12:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not only are you Manitoban but you're wise, good man.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  12:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kashmire

For goalie I couldn't decide. E. Belfour, K. Weekes, C. Joseph, and J.S Aubin are my oicks for goalies...these picks will robably start something up in this topic

belfour and joseph are washed up they had there glory days. i agree with Aubin though

Edited by - semin-rules on 01/04/2007 12:48:50
Go to Top of Page

basic0
Top Prospect

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  14:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I'm not a Senators fan by any means, but I think Ray Emery has been underrated.

During the end of last season and in the playoffs, when Hasek was out with an injury, Emery stepped in and played remarkably well for a rookie. The analysts seemed to want to pin the Sens' playoff collapse on Emery, but the Buffalo OT goal that decided the series was as much Alfredsson's fault as it was Emery's.

In the offseason, the Sens picked up Martin Gerber, delivering a message to Ray Emery: "We don't think you're a #1 goalie." The media seemed to agree.

In the end, it took numerous horrible performances from Gerber, and a league-leading GAA before anyone was even ASKING "Could Ray Emery maybe be a #1 goaltender?".

The media seems to have finally (and hesitantly) conceded that yes, Emery is a pretty darn good goalie, and is deserving of the #1 job in Ottawa.

Waiting until a goalie is statistically one of the best in the league before even CONSIDERING that he could be your #1 guy? Now THAT'S underrating a player.
Go to Top of Page

dummy101
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  14:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brind'Amour and Legace
Go to Top of Page

Trevman12
Rookie

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  12:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

Shawn Howard

I don't think that Ryan Kesler is underated at all! Go look at how much thet he is earning this year!

Edited by - Trevman12 on 01/09/2007 18:46:14
Go to Top of Page

Guest9698
( )

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  15:55:15  Reply with Quote
un·der·rate...

To rate too low; underestimate.

Goalie...Chris Mason...who-da-thunk-it when Vokoun went down with the hitchhiking thumb injury you poolies (the ones in my pool anyway) thought Nashville would tank...not when your backup comes in and plays better than the starter (and yes I have Vokoun in my pool)...and how about Lehtinen for Atlanta...I know they score in bunches for him but he has steadily raised his game all season (so far)

Forwards...Sabres Vanek has to be up there...2nd in +/- top 10 in goals...is he underrated??? I already thought he was going to have a great year but I live near Buffalo so skew and bias is a factor...I want to throw in Afinagenov as well only because this is the first year the speedster has shown he has any finish

Defence...going back to the Sabres on this one...Brian Campbell...keeps the puck out of his own net with a great +17 and chips in with 26 points at the halfway mark of the season...Souray is on pace to double his best point total and leads his team in power play goals and assists...Av's Liles is my western pick...solid young player already has 10 goals

Go ahead and crit·i·cize...

To find fault with: criticized the decision as unrealistic.
To judge the merits and faults of; analyze and evaluate.

P.S. not a Sabre fan...just giving credit where due
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  15:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you a dictionary salesman or a spelling bee judge?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9698
( )

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  20:46:10  Reply with Quote
Spelling bee champion...yes...hockey fan...yes...and leading in my pool...yes again...hmmmm...underrated players...why not just underachievers, achievers and overachievers...I like the way the Sedins are performing but Markus Naslund is in a funk...Kopitar might even give Malkin a good go for Calder this year...too bad the Kings are generally an ugly team...I have Crosby in my pool and he has a nice lead in ppg...is he overachieving or right on pace...could you even call Crosby underrated???

Betterr speel sumthin rong or ull think i got OcD?!?!?!?
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  18:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9698

Spelling bee champion...yes...hockey fan...yes...and leading in my pool...yes again...hmmmm...underrated players...why not just underachievers, achievers and overachievers...I like the way the Sedins are performing but Markus Naslund is in a funk...Kopitar might even give Malkin a good go for Calder this year...too bad the Kings are generally an ugly team...I have Crosby in my pool and he has a nice lead in ppg...is he overachieving or right on pace...could you even call Crosby underrated???

Betterr speel sumthin rong or ull think i got OcD?!?!?!?

I wouldn't call Crosby underrated
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  18:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey....what about Vesa Toskala, the backup for the San Jose Sharks? He's 17-6. Thats pretty good for a backup. And for a player...what about Daymond Langkow? He is second in points after Iginla

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page