Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 50/50 draws...... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  18:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, as i've been watching the WJC games, i've heard the announcers mention on a couple different occasions that the 50/50 prize pool was up around 125k? Not sure if that's the take home or the total before it's split? Regardless, even if the prize is only half that, how can it be so freakin high?

The reason i ask is, i play when i go to the Canucks games. The prize is usually in the 20-25k range? GM Place holds over 18,000 people whereas the rink in Saskatchewan where the juniors are playing is only holding 15,000 or so? Are there twice as many tickets being sold there? I find it hard to believe??

So, i ask those of you who attend games in other cities, what is the prize usually (approx)???

Also, anyone ever won or know anyone close to them who have?

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  20:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Max at the Oilers game is $30,000. They make 30,000 tickets at $2/each. The prize pool is often at or very near $30k. The lowest I have been there to see is $25,000.

For the 50/50 at the WJC to be $125k, you would have to think that it is one big prize from all the games. Not one for each game.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  23:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Max at the Oilers game is $30,000. They make 30,000 tickets at $2/each. The prize pool is often at or very near $30k. The lowest I have been there to see is $25,000.

For the 50/50 at the WJC to be $125k, you would have to think that it is one big prize from all the games. Not one for each game.

Beans, i never thought of that? Maybe it was cumulative and will be given away at the final tomorrow night? Interesting point. The biggest at Canucks games are usually the first game of the season. Last year i went to the first game and the prize was $125k. They gave away a prize or two that went unclaimed the year before so it was huge. Obviously with that much in the pot, ticket sales went crazy and they sold double what they normally would that night.
Go to Top of Page

Larrydavid
Top Prospect

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These numbers are from each game. I think this will catch on at all major sports.

Below is the link for these huge 50/50 draws.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.cfm?sid=315593&sc=98

Odds looking up for P.E.I. firm behind 50-50 sensation print this article
MICHAEL MACDONALD
The Canadian Press

A tiny company based in Prince Edward Island is creating a big buzz at the world junior hockey championship in Saskatoon.
The two-year-old Summerside-based firm, 50/50 Central, has developed innovative software and wireless technology that has given a modern, high-speed twist to a long-standing rinkside tradition: the 50-50 draw.
The electronic system allows ticket buyers to see how big the pot has grown every time a ticket is purchased, an obvious and immediate incentive that has translated into rapidly growing prize pools and added excitement in the stands.
On New Year’s Eve, when Canada defeated the United States 5-4 in a shootout, the 15,000 fans at Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon purchased $187,050 worth of 50-50 tickets, creating a cash prize of more than $93,000. That’s almost $12.50 per person in ticket sales.
Blair Smith of Summerside, the company’s co-owner, says it was the largest pot at the 31-game tournament and by far the biggest prize delivered by 50/50 Central’s technology. Smith says ticket sales on Tuesday night, when Canada takes on the United States for the gold medal, are expected to top $200,000.
“When you jump over $10 a head ... those are huge numbers,” Smith said in an interview from Saskatoon.
The tournament’s host committee had a licence to sell $1.5 million worth of 50-50 tickets, but it recently applied for a $2-million threshold.
Craig Sled, assistant vice-president of marketing for the host committee, said the group had expected about $600,000 in ticket sales, based on the two previous world junior hockey championships in Ottawa and Vancouver.
“We’re overwhelmed,” he said. “There’s just no other word for it. ... We’re totally blown away.”
At each game, spectators can purchase tickets from one of 14 roving vendors carrying a handheld, wireless terminal and a tiny, wireless printer. Tickets are also available from vendors seated at eight, wired terminals around the arena.
Every time someone buys a ticket — 1 for $5; 3 for $10; and 10 for $20 — the new total for the draw is immediately beamed to all of the closed-circuit televisions in the stadium.
“We’re on there all the time, whether it’s a little bug in the corner or it’s full-screen,” Smith says.
The total is also shown on the electronic score clock at centre ice during announcements and each intermission.
During games, as the jackpot displayed on the Jumbotron rises rapidly, the lineups grow longer for tickets and the banter in the stands often turns to the interactive lottery.
Smith says his company charges for support and maintenance, and it also gets a percentage of the total revenue, but he won’t say how much.

The company has only five employees, including Smith and co-owner George Roberts of Kensington, P.E.I. Smith said his partner came up with the concept while sitting in a shopping mall in Montreal in 2006. So far, the system can only handle cash transactions. But it will soon take credit cards.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  14:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larrydavid......Thanks for that info and a great article! I was about to look up some info on it and you just saved me the time!

Very interesting method, seems to fit todays day and age? Just don't know if i would be willing to lineup for tickets? I can get them with ease at the Canucks games (and will tonight when i go ) and wouldn't wanna miss some of the game just to get some?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2667
( )

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  15:21:03  Reply with Quote
I attended a couple of the Summerside Western Capitals (Maritime Junior A) playoffs games here on PEI last spring, and the 50-50 draws were crazy. The Credit Union Place only holds, i'm not exactly sure but i'd estimate in the neighborhood of 4000 fans, and yet the 50-50's were something like $20,000 take home.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9792
( )

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  15:58:07  Reply with Quote
its actually correct. They're using a new way to keep track and post what the 50/50 is worth throught the game. People are noticing how high its getting and spending more and more. They expect the usa/canada final to have a 50/50 draw take home prize over $100,000. There was an article in the toronto star today discussing this very topic
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  23:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the Canucks / Blue Jackets game tonight. It was a sellout (though there were some empty seats as per the norm) and the take home total in the 50/50 draw was just over 20k. With the juniors one over 100k, i'm glad i didn't win.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  08:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the game against Slovakia and the prize was around 60,000 take home. My and the three people I attended the game with bought $20 ea. It did not take long at all probably one of the quickest 50/50 purchases ive ever made at a big event.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4642
( )

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  18:16:46  Reply with Quote
I was actually at the new years eve game and the game between Switzerland and Slovakia before that, and the take home for the new years eve game was close to $94,000. The total was close to 195,000. Even the game previous, the take home winner was around 27,000. Amazing how much everyone put towards the 50/50. I myself put in $40 for the new years eve game. Now you have to wonder if this will be a regular thing for Calgary/Edmonton in 2 years and possibly Buffalo next year.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  18:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested to know if this is going to hit all the NHL arenas and if so, how soon? Will it be at GM Place next month for the Olympics?

Here's a question, a fan walks out with 50%, who gets the other 50%? The arena owner? The team? Let's say they do one in Phoenix and the take home prize is 100K. Does the other 100K go to the Coyotes, or to the owners who they have the lease for the rink with???
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  18:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know in Edmonton that they often have different groups(minor league teams, rugby clubs, schools, etc) that will actually sell the tickets. They get a piece, the team gets a piece, and charity gets a piece.

I watched an interview with that dude who created the 50/50 automated ticket printing thing. Apparently, VANOC has already called him to come and set up shop at the Olympics.

That pot is gonna be huge!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  22:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I watched an interview with that dude who created the 50/50 automated ticket printing thing. Apparently, VANOC has already called him to come and set up shop at the Olympics.

That pot is gonna be huge!!!

That doesn't surprise me in the least! And you're not kidding, those pots are gonna be absolutely massive. This guys a freakin' genius for coming up with this. I'm interested to know his cut?
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  13:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if this was the system they used in the Olympics or even how large the pot became? I never heard anything about 50/50 draws during the Olympics like I did during the WJC.

When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  18:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gusteroni.....I was extremely disappointed that this new system wasn't used for the Olympics. In fact, the way they did it wasn't even as good as what the Canucks, and i'm assuming most teams, do. Buying the tickets was the same, but here's the difference, and i'm wondering if it has something to do with the Olympics (it must)?? They didn't announce the winning number, nor was it ever displayed on the big screen! You had to check after the game with people standing at the exits with signs with the winning numbers on it! Not sure if that was the reason, but the draw winnings weren't even as much as at Canucks games. At the 'Nucks games, the total is usually around 25K, at the Olympics, it was 15K-17K at the three games i went to???
Go to Top of Page

Guest1793
( )

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  19:12:17  Reply with Quote
In reply,I was at some of the world junior games,two guys invented a computerized system.the pricing aspect was 1for $5,3for $10 or 10 for $20.00You got a ticket that had 10 different numbers that looked like a ticket you would get at a lottery kiosk.At each booth there would be a television screen in front showing how big the pot would be at.it would go up as tickets were being purchased throughout the arena,there were also many people with handheld devices that could generate tickets as well.It's not the best explanation,maybe soemone that actually worked one of them could add on to this.seeing the jackpot grow by thousands caused a lot of excitement and usually everyone would just buy $20 worth being that you had more chances.I was at the Latvia/Slovakia match and the jackpot was around $25-30 thousand dollars and yes at the final some lucky guy won around $150,000.I'm sure you'll be seeing this new system in hockey rinks throughout Canada and the U.S. Cheers!!
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  20:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scroll up a little bit, pretty much everything you said has already been posted in this thread.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page