Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Jeff Finger Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All right like most of you know Jeff Finger has one of the worst contract in the NHL (top 10 probably). If I would be Ron Wilson I would give him lots of ice time from now on till the end of the season. I would put him on the #2 pp unit and the first pk unit. Try to get some value for this guy and then I would try to trade him in the offseason for a late round pick or at least put him on waivers and hope somebody picks him up. He's getting 3.5 million a year and he's a healthy scratch half the time. This is just ridiculous, he wont get traded that way. And now that we have Phaneuf, Kaberle, Beauchemin, Komisarek, Schenn and Gunnarson there's no need for a guy like Finger.

And Finger is not that bad really he could be an asset on a team with the cap space or a team that needs depth on defense or a team plagued with injuries. I just don't want his 3.5 million with the Leafs anymore.

Burke should have tried to throw in Finger in a deal and the other team would have gave less. Like Finger, Stempniak and Primeau for a seventh round pick. Or Poni and Finger for a second or third round pick. But I guess Burke had a hard time dealing Finger because Wilson is not doing anything to rise his value. So Wilson I'm begging you, try everything in your power to rise his value so Burke will at least have a shot at trading him in the offseason.

Also I hope they don't resign Exelby.

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  19:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I obviously don't see the Leafs as often as you do but i'd have to assume the reason he's been a healthy scratch "half the time" is because he's not playing well. So, showcasing a guy who's not playing well isn't gonna help get another team interested is it?

Best chance to get rid of him is as you suggest, to a team with some cap space. Burke might have tried at the deadline but prob had no takers. Sometimes even giving a player away for next to nothing isn't easy!!!

As for Wilson playing him more, if he is in fact playing poorly, do you really wanna see more of him? Just how bad do you wanna see Hall or Seguin in a Bruins uni???
Go to Top of Page

Guest7157
( )

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  19:56:59  Reply with Quote
bury him in the AHL. You still pay his salary but there is no impact on the cap. Toronto isn't cash strapped like the Coyotes where it can't waste a few million here or there. Unless of course they gave him a no demotion clause.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  20:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please Tambellini.....trade Horcoff for Finger, you could use the cap space....
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  04:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now the cap isn't an issue for the Leafs, so there is no need to send Finger down to the AHL. He still has a cap hit of $3.5 millon both next season & year after, so if they are unable to trade him & they need the cap space, then yes sending him to the AHL is a viable option.
They could also buy him out, but then you are still taking the cap hit for years to come, so for a team as rich as Toronto, the Marlies might make more sense.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  05:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with getting rid of Finger is . . . there are too many good young defencemen these days. I'd like to hope that in the offseason, Burke can pull the same kind of WTF magic that he performed when he unloaded Toskala and Blake . . . hell, if he could get rid of those two contracts, he can get rid of anything.

Toronto has too many defencemen to begin with, and the core is set - and however badly they might have played in the past, they are all better in terms of talent and potential than Finger. So, even though I don't consider him terrible, Finger should see some duty while Komisarek is still out then it should be the AHL after that, barring more injuries to the D.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  10:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finger is not that bad and he could help the team if given the opportunity. So I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Leafs uniform for the remainder of the season.

And if they can't trade him in the offseason then yeah AHL is a good alternative for the next two seasons.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  11:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think finger is untradable with that contract but I thought the same thing about Jason Blake so I suppose anything is possible. No team, even a team with the financial assests of Toronto wants to waste $3.5 million in the minors. That being said with the glut of defensive assests the Leafs have its the only move available barring a team making a move for him.

Alex hit it on the head he doesnt play because his play doesn't warrant the ice time. So to waste time showcasing to the rest of the League how bad he is doen't help the team. No point in taking away ice time that can better be used to develop Schenn and Gunnarsson. Finger is the last pre-Burke contract to shed not too sure what Fletcher was thinking on that one
Go to Top of Page

Guest2818
( )

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  14:19:56  Reply with Quote
Leafs are a stoopid team nobudy cares bout them they will never win anything ever ever ever.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6671
( )

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  17:56:56  Reply with Quote
Toronto may be the worse team this year or last year but if you look at there dynasty in the past they basically won more cups then any other team other then Montreal. With Jeff Finger I mostly would agree with everyone Toronto really should find a way to maybe trade him or give he chances. But Looking at who we have as Phaneau, Kaberle , Beachimen, Schenn, Gunnarsson, Komisarek, Mike Van Ryn, and Excelby. May be harder then you think to start someone like finger without some these people injuried.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  17:59:16  Reply with Quote
I remember my first championship with 6 teams in a league
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  13:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff Finger was going to be traded by Burke to the ducks in the toskala deal but Bob Murray wouldnt take on the contract of a 6th defenceman at 3.5 for 2 more years. Instead he took Jason Blake, who despite being absolutley hated in toronto and having a large contract himself, was a better roster option for the ducks as a 2nd/3rd line winger with speed.

With toronto having so much money tied up on the blueline next year Jeff Finger will likley end up being traded somewhere by the grace of god, or be buried in the minors. 3.5 is just wayyyy too much for a 6th defenceman, i dont see any way burke goes into next season with that money on the cap. Ottawa buried cheechoo earlier this year, so I dont think its really that hard to fathom.

Mike Van Ryn is already off the cap as he is on LTIR and Garnet "I want a trade" XLB will also be off the books come July 1. The only reason XLB was even playing was because Burke was trying to showcase him for his trade request, and its pretty sad no one wanted him on deadline day even though a ton of 5th/6th/7th defencemen were moved.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

CoreteztheKiller
Top Prospect

11 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  15:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a ridiculous signing to begin with. Any Leafs fans get excited when they heard we got Finger? Did Fletch think he was gonna be a game changer??

With or without kaberle, the Leafs D is set. If anyone wants Finger, Burke will trade him for half a sandwich. If it were up to me, Komisarek and his bloated contract would follow, but I think we might be stuck with him for better or worse. At least Komisarek has potential for better things, maybe as an expensive 4th or 5th Dman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page