Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2010 Team Canada Roster Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  09:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets fast forward, it’s now 2010, and you’re Wayne Gretzky. Who do you put on Team Canada?

Here’s my picks.

Forwards

Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier, Spezza, Heatley, Thornton, Getzlaf, St. Louis, Savard, Staal, Nash, Smyth

Defence

Pronger, Phaneuf, Phillips, Campbell, Redden, Jovanovski

Goalies

Luongo, Brodeur, Ward

I’ve left guys like Niedermayer, Brindamour, and Shanahan off the list because I’m not sure if they will have retired by then.

Go Wings Go!

Edited by - hkalirah on 01/31/2008 09:39:37

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkalirah

Lets fast forward, it’s now 2010, and you’re Wayne Gretzky. Who do you put on Team Canada?

Here’s my picks.

Forwards

Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier, Spezza, Heatley, Thornton, Getzlaf, St. Louis, Savard, Staal, Nash, Smyth

Defence

Pronger, Phaneuf, Phillips, Campbell, Redden, Jovanovski

Goalies

Luongo, Brodeur, Ward

I’ve left guys like Niedermayer, Brindamour, and Shanahan off the list because I’m not sure if they will have retired by then.

Go Wings Go!

first i'll start with goalies,, no brodeur no ward ,, luongo, Giguere, Pascal Leclaire (providing he keeps it up)

the reason i take brodeur out is i dont believe in 2 years he'll be a top goalie in canada if he gets there i feel it would be by rep and out of respect,,,,, Giguere i feel this guy gets overlooked a lot he has proven he is a stud in pressure situations,,,, a 1.89 G.A.A and 960 sv% in the playoffs is impressive,, also he has never done worse then a western conference final and he won a conn smyth with pretty much no team infront of him and his team didn;t even win the cup,, i'd be interested to know how many players have won the smyth and been on the loseing team. pascal i think is finally living up to his high draft choice and in the next few years will be one of the toughest to beat hands down....

for the D men i just have one guy i feel should be taken seriously under consideration not nessirily before any of the ones you put up but i feel in 2 years he could tap the top 5 in the league is Francois Beauchmein.....

forwards just one guy you're forgetting who has to be there in my opinion Shane Doan

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good choices, you're right, I forgot about Giguere. Just so you know, I chose Ward because it's important to give the young guys a feel for the olympics, just as they did with Staal in 2006.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good choices, you're right, I forgot about Giguere. Just so you know, I chose Ward because it's important to give the young guys a feel for the olympics, just as they did with Staal in 2006.

Go Wings Go!

this is true and ward may very well be team canada's goalie when roberto retires,,,,,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  11:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are my lines, not with all of the players you picked but my lineup:

Forwards:
Nash-Crosby-Iginla
Mike Richards-Thornton- Spezza
Staal-Lecavalier- Heatley
Tavares-Getzlaf- St. Louis

Remember that it will be diffrent in the comming years. It was difficult to find left wingers because the majority of players are right handed and are centers. I also put Taveres in the lineup because if Crosby almost made it as a rookie in 06 the Taveras should be able to have a crack at the lineup in 2010.

Defense:
Phaneuf-Redden
Campbell-Pronger
Duncan Keith-Marc Staal
Doughty

If Duncan Keith and Marc Staal are suprises to you to be on this team now in two years they will make perfect sense. They are two young and extremly talented players and will become much better in two years. And I think the seventh spot is going to be Drew Doughty's, if he doesn't crack the lineup.

Goalies:
Luongo
Giguere

Self explanitory. Martin Brodeur will be 38,so I doubt he will be on the team.

So, what do you think?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  11:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Forwards:
Nash-Crosby-Iginla

Remember that it will be diffrent in the comming years. It was difficult to find left wingers because the majority of players are right handed and are centers. I also put Taveres in the lineup because if Crosby almost made it as a rookie in 06 the Taveras should be able to have a crack at the lineup in 2010.

Defense:
Phaneuf-Redden
Campbell-Pronger
Duncan Keith-Marc Staal
Doughty

If Duncan Keith and Marc Staal are suprises to you to be on this team now in two years they will make perfect sense. They are two young and extremly talented players and will become much better in two years. And I think the seventh spot is going to be Drew Doughty's, if he doesn't crack the lineup.

Goalies:
Luongo
Giguere

So, what do you think?

i like the top line personally if you're bringing geztlaf along which i most certanly think we should why not perry,,, great line mates both big and fast and both have expirence winning on the big ice on the world stage>?

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  13:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a bad idea, Perry is a very good player, but who would you take off the roster to put Perry on?

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  15:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Think we're going to see a balance of youth and experience in 2010, hopefully they'll try to clone the 02' team.

I have a feeling Stamkos will make this team, and for sure Toews. Patrice Bergeron, Mike Richards, Brad Boyes, all have a chance. I was pretty sure Sakic would captain the team, but now that he's injured I have a feeling it could mean a sooner end to his career.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  09:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TSN is holding a fan vote for who they want on the Team Canada Roster.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/canadasteam/

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  10:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the thing to remember when it comes to the 2010 Olympics. It will more than likely be the last year that the NHL sends players. The NHL and the NHLPA have received many complaints from the players from the last Olympics about the travel part way through the season.

It will not be a huge issue in 2010 because of the Olympics being in North America. However, the Games in 2014 will be in Russia.

That being said, I don't think that Canada will be as worried about sending "youth" to the tourney for the experience as much as they will be at putting the best possible players on the ice.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  11:43:52  Reply with Quote
you have no clue what doughty or Tavares are going to becaome, they could be the next greats or the next daigles, who know

we need to remain with the ol' reliables
Iginla-Crosby-Getzlaf
Nash-Lecavalier-Heatley
Savard-Thornton-Gagne
St. Louis-Doan-Smyth

Pronger-Phaneuf
Jovanovski-Whitney
Green-Campbell
Ranger

Luongo-Brodeur-Ward

THe team Cnada team needs stingy defense and good two way forwards if they want to win this thing. Canada is known for shutting down opponents by scoring 2 or 3 quick goals and then stopping them from getting a shot. Mike Green will be a powehouse point producer but will not log 25 min a game. that job is for Pronger, Phaneuf, Whitney and Jovanovski. obviously Luongo is a no brainer but I think Ward will challenge Brodeur for second spot.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  11:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go Wings Go!

I didn't know Staal played in 2006. I thought he was left out?
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  12:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forwards:

Sakic, Kariya, Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier, Spezza, Heatley, Getzlaf, Staal, Savard, Briere, Nash

If I had room for a 5th set of forwards I would have:
Simon Gagne, St.Louis, Toews

Defence:

Green (Mike), Phaneuf, Boyle, Campbell, Niedermayer, Jovanovski

Goalies:

Luongo, Brodeur, and anyone else, cause he won't be playing!

Edited by - SuperSakic on 02/01/2008 12:06:20
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  13:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jason Krog !?!? what?
I only know about the guy thanks to the hockey news and their brief section on the AHL, and after researching him i've found out that he will be forty in 2010, and he only has 58 points in just under 200 NHL games. Would this really be the forty year old you would choose? Why not another soon to be forty year old Joe Sakic.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  14:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here is what's wrong with Leafsfan_94's team.
- WTF is Jason Krog doing there?
-Pogge will not be the starter, and both Pogge and Price will not be on the team.
- Toews won't be on the first line
- Ian White won't be on the team
- Who is Mike Green
- Gagner and Boyes will have an extremly difficult time cracking the lineup.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9656
( )

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  14:46:37  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, here is what's wrong with Leafsfan_94's team.
- WTF is Jason Krog doing there?
-Pogge will not be the starter, and both Pogge and Price will not be on the team.
- Toews won't be on the first line
- Ian White won't be on the team
- Who is Mike Green
- Gagner and Boyes will have an extremly difficult time cracking the lineup.

Mike Green is the highest goal-scoring defenseman in the league right now...look him up. The others, I gotta agree with you....
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  15:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, what league is Mike Green the highest scoring D-man?? It's not the NHL.

I will have some time to put a little thought into this tonight and I will post my team with rationale.

Remember a couple of things people:

1) The NHL will not be sending players to Olympics after 2010. That being said, they will want to field the best team regardless of experience. I think of guys like Tavares, Gagner, Toews and the likes and there are better young Candian players today that will be in their prime in 2010. There is no reason to give those guys experience if they won't be going to Olympics afterwards.

2) Think of guys who will retire before 2010. That's 2 years away. Sakic, Neidermayer, Shanahan and the likes will more than likely not be there.

3) Think of things other than offense. I am shocked that of all the lists I have looked at, Mike Richards is not on any of them. He is a perfect Olympic type player as he is skills all over the ice. The PK would look pretty silly with Crosby, Savard, and Nash.

My team will be posted later tonight!
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  15:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NHL Leaders in Goals by a defenseman:
Mike Green Was 14
2 Michal Rozsival NYR 12
3t Andrei Markov Mon 11
3t Chris Pronger Anh 11
5t Jay Bouwmeester Fla 9
5t Brent Burns Min 9
5t Dustin Byfuglien Chi 9
5t Brian Rafalski Det 9
5t Ryan Whitney Pit 9
10t Marc-Andre Bergeron NYI 8
10t Tom Gilbert Edm 8
10t Daniel Girardi NYR 8
10t Sergei Gonchar Pit 8
10t Andrej Meszaros Ott 8
10t Mattias Ohlund Van 8
10t Paul Ranger TB 8
10t Jaroslav Spacek Buf 8
Although I'm not sure if beans was being sarcastic or something about that, I thought I would fix that problem.

Also, I think the Olympics has nothing to do with giving players experience. The three players you mentioned have played in World Juniors and will probably play in the world cup.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  15:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad. I misread what you posted. I thought you were meaning highest scoring defensemen meaning most points. I see now, I miss read it.

I know the Mike Smith you are talking about now.

I meant no disrespect.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4504
( )

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  19:26:28  Reply with Quote
Forwards: Spezza,Thornton,Heatley,Crosby,Getzlaf,Savard,Lecavalier,St.Louis, Iginla
Defense:
Phaneuf,Pronger,Rivet,Redden,Campbell.Beauchemin
Goalies:
Luongo,Brodeur,Giguere
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  19:40:55  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forwards:
Nash-Crosby-Iginla

Defense:
Phaneuf-Redden
Campbell-Pronger
Duncan Keith-Marc Staal
Doughty

Goalies:
Luongo
Giguere

So, what do you think?

You've got a pretty good lineup and I have some familiar choices one thing though your line 2, all 3 are playmakers and many times if you have playmaker-playmaker-playmaker the results won't turn out too good.

Forwards :
Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Lecavalier - Thornton - Heatley
E.Staal - Spezza - Smyth
M.Richards - Getzlaf - Toews

Defensemen:
Phaneuf - Pronger
Boyle - Redden
M.Staal - Burns
(Really wanted to get Ranger up there but couldn't seem to fit him in)

Goalies:
Luongo
Giguere
Leclaire

This may not be the best team because I didn't have much time to really think it through and kind of quickly put it together.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7010
( )

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  19:41:25  Reply with Quote
The problem I'm having with this team is that there are too many centres and not enough wingers on the forward line.

Forwards in no particular order or lines:

Heatley, Vinny, Morrow, Fisher, Sid, Gagne (phi), Nash, Getzlaf, Iggy, M. Richards and Thornton. Spez, Staal and Smyth are the ones on the bubble for me as I can figure out which one of the 3 I want.

I'd probably put Fisher, Morrow and Richards as my shutdown/banger line. Mike Fisher is so under rated as well as Brendan Morrow.

Thornton, Nash and Iggy meshed really well last time, might as well keep that intact.

Next up is the beast line. All are big boys who are highly skilled and can hurt you with skill, size and speed. Heater, Vinny and Getzlaf.

Leaves me with Sid, and Gagne with either one of my 3 yet to be determined players. I can see Sid and Gagne going well but Spez and Staal don't fit right with them. That's why Smyth might be chosen because he is a winger and isn't nicknamed Captain Canada for nothing. Unfortunately he will also be 35, not over the hill but not as effective either.

Defence is pretty much like everyone else. Unless Greene and Campbell continue their torrid pace, I think the defence is pretty much unchanged from previous years.

Bouwmeester, Phillips, Regehr, Boyle, Pronger, Phaneuf and Weber.

Prongs-Dion will be the dominant peir. Phillips and Regehr will be the shutdown unit. Boyle and Weber is the slick puck moving pairing. Bouwmeester is the super sub.

Goalies remain unchanged. There was nothing wrong with the 3 in 2006. The tandems of Luongo, Brodeur and Turco will be just fine. I think thogh Luongo will take the lead role unlike in 2006.

It is so hard to leave out such other talented players but almost all of the remaining outstanding Canadian forwards are centres.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  19:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here would be my team for 2010, based off today and what I think will happen over the next couple of years.

First Line

Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - Jarome Iginla

-Nash and Iginla bring great size, speed, and both are pure scorers. Crosby will draw a lot of attention and create space for the others. This line will be stupid dangerous. All are responsible defensively as well. In 2 years time, the only line in the world that could touch this one offensively would be Ovechkin, Malkin, and Kovalchuk.

Second Line

Simon Gagne - Joe Thornton - Danny Heatley

-This line is also dangerous and pretty solid. Great puck contol. Solid scoring, this line can really do it all.

Third Line

Eric Staal - Vincent Lecavalier - Martin St. Louis

With the size, of Staal and Lecavalier, and speed of St. Louis, I see this line being able to shut down anyone in the world. Remember, they are playing on NHL Ice. These are also guys known as team guys. They will take the role as 3rd line shut down guys and do well. But, they are also pretty dangerous offensively.

Fourth Line

Ryan Smyth - Mike Richards - Ryan Getzlef

All three guys can play with anyone, all three play angry, edgy hockey, and all (I think) would love to play in the tourney. Throw these three over the boards for instant energy, offense, or defense. And like him or hate him, Ryan Smyth has the best hands in the world in front of the net on the PP. No one is better and I don't care what anyone says.

Spare Forwards

Daniel Briere, Marc Savard, and Shane Doan

I think these three guys are pretty interchangeable with most of the lines. Someone gets hurt or is playing really poorly, one of these guys could step in really easily.

Defense

Chris Pronger
Dion Phaneuf
Chris Phillips
Brent Burns
Dan Boyle
Jay Bouwmeester

-I'm sure some people would question some of those. Basically, all are very solid two way defensemen and very versitile in all situations. Most of you will question Brent Burns. Mark my words, in the next 2-3 years, he will be a top 5 defensemen in the league.

Defense Spares

Paul Ranger
Ed Jovonovski
Shea Weber

Very interchangeable.

Goalies

Roberto Luongo
Doesn't Matter
Doesn't Matter

Ok, seriously I would say the other two would be J.S. Giguere and Pascal Leclaire, but it doesn't matter. Luongo will play every minute of every game. If Brodeur has not retired by that point, he will be on the team, but I would doubt as the starter. If Marc Andre Fluery can find any kind of form, he might make it too.

Say all you want about the Toews and Tavaras' of the world, they are not better than anyone on this team. I feel this would be the best team that Canada could put on the ice in 2 years times.

Go ahead, beat the crap out of it.

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/01/2008 19:50:16
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  20:01:43  Reply with Quote
quote:
-I'm sure some people would question some of those. Basically, all are very solid two way defensemen and very versitile in all situations. Most of you will question Brent Burns. Mark my words, in the next 2-3 years, he will be a top 5 defensemen in the league.

Love it.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  22:54:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Here would be my team for 2010, based off today and what I think will happen over the next couple of years.

First Line

-Nash and Iginla bring great size, speed, and both are pure scorers. Crosby will draw a lot of attention and create space for the others. This line will be stupid dangerous. All are responsible defensively as well. In 2 years time, the only line in the world that could touch this one offensively would be Ovechkin, Malkin, and Kovalchuk.

Second Line

-This line is also dangerous and pretty solid. Great puck contol. Solid scoring, this line can really do it all.

Third Line

With the size, of Staal and Lecavalier, and speed of St. Louis, I see this line being able to shut down anyone in the world. Remember, they are playing on NHL Ice. These are also guys known as team guys. They will take the role as 3rd line shut down guys and do well. But, they are also pretty dangerous offensively.

Fourth Line

All three guys can play with anyone, all three play angry, edgy hockey, and all (I think) would love to play in the tourney. Throw these three over the boards for instant energy, offense, or defense. And like him or hate him, Ryan Smyth has the best hands in the world in front of the net on the PP. No one is better and I don't care what anyone says.

Spare Forwards

I think these three guys are pretty interchangeable with most of the lines. Someone gets hurt or is playing really poorly, one of these guys could step in really easily.

Defense

Chris Pronger
Dion Phaneuf
Chris Phillips
Brent Burns
Dan Boyle
Jay Bouwmeester

Defense Spares

Paul Ranger
Ed Jovonovski
Shea Weber

Very interchangeable.

Goalies

Roberto Luongo
Doesn't Matter
Doesn't Matter

Ok, seriously I would say the other two would be J.S. Giguere and Pascal Leclaire, but it doesn't matter. Luongo will play every minute of every game. If Brodeur has not retired by that point, he will be on the team, but I would doubt as the starter. If Marc Andre Fluery can find any kind of form, he might make it too.

Say all you want about the Toews and Tavaras' of the world, they are not better than anyone on this team. I feel this would be the best team that Canada could put on the ice in 2 years times.

i cant argue with you except on one point if brodeur wants to be on this team it has to be as a third goalie,,,, god forbid if luongo doesn't want to go,, is hurt or wtv,,,, giggy is our next best goalie,,,, in my mind he is already better then brodeur and in 2 years deffinetly will be!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  09:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSakic

quote:

Go Wings Go!

I didn't know Staal played in 2006. I thought he was left out?

Didn't they put him on the taxi squad? He was there, just didn't play.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  17:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree that it is ''important to give the young guys a feel for the olympics'' -- if you are talking about the taxi squad, good and fine, but if you are trying to develop talent by bringing in a young guy at the expense of a better third string goalie as in Giguere (assuming your first two are Marty and Luongo) than you are maknig a big mistake.

The olympics come every four years, and you want to do whatever is in your power to win it all. I say go for broke, stack your roster, and make us the red white and gold for another year!

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  06:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK, what league is Mike Green the highest scoring D-man?? It's not the NHL.

I will have some time to put a little thought into this tonight and I will post my team with rationale.

Remember a couple of things people:

1) The NHL will not be sending players to Olympics after 2010. That being said, they will want to field the best team regardless of experience. I think of guys like Tavares, Gagner, Toews and the likes and there are better young Candian players today that will be in their prime in 2010. There is no reason to give those guys experience if they won't be going to Olympics afterwards.

2) Think of guys who will retire before 2010. That's 2 years away. Sakic, Neidermayer, Shanahan and the likes will more than likely not be there.

3) Think of things other than offense. I am shocked that of all the lists I have looked at, Mike Richards is not on any of them. He is a perfect Olympic type player as he is skills all over the ice. The PK would look pretty silly with Crosby, Savard, and Nash.

My team will be posted later tonight!

I guess you may have taken my "highest scoring" defenseman to mean highest points, when in fact I was talking about goals only. Here are your top 3 goal scoring defense leaders:

Mike Green 14 Goals
Michal Rozsival 13 Goals
Andrei Markov 12 Goals
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  06:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My bad. I misread what you posted. I thought you were meaning highest scoring defensemen meaning most points. I see now, I miss read it.

I know the Mike Smith you are talking about now.

I meant no disrespect.

Sorry. I already posted before I saw this post...But no offense taken. You do mean Mike Green right?
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  06:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

First Line

Second Line

Third Line

Fourth Line

Spare Forwards

Defense

Chris Pronger
Dion Phaneuf
Chris Phillips
Brent Burns
Dan Boyle
Jay Bouwmeester

Defense Spares

Paul Ranger
Ed Jovonovski
Shea Weber

Very interchangeable.

Goalies

Roberto Luongo
Doesn't Matter
Doesn't Matter

I had forgot about Shea Weber. I would have him on my team too. But I would put him on a first or second line. I think he's too good to be just a spare....
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  07:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

i cant argue with you except on one point if brodeur wants to be on this team it has to be as a third goalie,,,, god forbid if luongo doesn't want to go,, is hurt or wtv,,,, giggy is our next best goalie,,,, in my mind he is already better then brodeur and in 2 years deffinetly will be!

Pasty

Giggy better than Brodeur? Sorry, I just don't see it.....
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see a reason why someone would put Mike Green on an Olympic roster. Just because he has 14 goals and that happens to lead all defenseman? If you are all just putting players on this team based on stats then your team is gonna look pretty terrible.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't see a reason why someone would put Mike Green on an Olympic roster. Just because he has 14 goals and that happens to lead all defenseman? If you are all just putting players on this team based on stats then your team is gonna look pretty terrible.

I totally agree with you, that's the same reason why I left Mike Richards off my roster.

I'll qualify that by saying, if the two of them have similar seasons in '09 and '10, they may be looked at.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

I disagree that it is ''important to give the young guys a feel for the olympics'' -- if you are talking about the taxi squad, good and fine, but if you are trying to develop talent by bringing in a young guy at the expense of a better third string goalie as in Giguere (assuming your first two are Marty and Luongo) than you are maknig a big mistake.

The olympics come every four years, and you want to do whatever is in your power to win it all. I say go for broke, stack your roster, and make us the red white and gold for another year!

History shows that the third string goalie does not get any time. Belfour was the third string in 2002, and he didn't get to play. I believe Turco didn't play in 2006.

Whomever you pick, whether it be Ward, Giguere, Price, Pogge, or someone else, will gain experience on the world stage by being the 3rd string goalie. Experience is essential.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9656
( )

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  13:07:40  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've seen the way he plays, and trust me, you would want him on your team right now!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  13:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alex

History shows that the third string goalie does not get any time. Belfour was the third string in 2002, and he didn't get to play. I believe Turco didn't play in 2006.

Whomever you pick, whether it be Ward, Giguere, Price, Pogge, or someone else, will gain experience on the world stage by being the 3rd string goalie. Experience is essential.

Go Wings Go!

Please explain to me why the experience is important when 2010 will be the last year that the NHL players will be in the Olympics??

Although it has not been set in stone, both the NHL and the NHLPA have expressed their stance in sending players to the Olympics after 2010. Both have said the travel overseas when the Olympics are not in North America is a very tough thing on the players and the interuption by 2 1/2 weeks to the season has no value to the league.

That being said, I firmly believe that you will not see much youth on the team unless the player is incredibly talented. The Tavares and Toews of the world will more than likely be left off the roster in favor of a more experienced player. Team Canada is loaded with talent, and possibly could have two pretty competative teams on the world stage. That being said, I truely believe you will see the best of the best of the best on the 2010 team. It is also more than likely the last Olympic Team that Gretzky will have a hand in, so you bet your a$$ that he will want to go out with a Gold.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  13:28:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying I wouldn't want this guy on my NHL team right now, but on an Olympic squad. Can he really be better then a Marc Staal or Jay Boumeester. Does he have the potential Drew Doughty has. Is he better then Duncan Keith. If he answers YES to all these then by all means he should be on the team, but I can't see him being a YES to any of the three questions. So I can't see him on Canada's Olympic team.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  13:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Please explain to me why the experience is important when 2010 will be the last year that the NHL players will be in the Olympics??

Because the Olympics aren't the only tournament played on the world stage. There's also the World Championships, World Cup, and Spengler Cup.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  14:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to have to say, you win the olympics at all costs. Even if it means stacking your roster with guys who will be having grandkids by next olympics (OK, slighlty exagerated.)

You want to win it all and that is what you do, you put the best players where they deserve. The World and Spengler Cups can be the time to experiment. We wait four years to show case ourselves. Well, let's do just that!

GO CANADA.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  14:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Because the Olympics aren't the only tournament played on the world stage. There's also the World Championships, World Cup, and Spengler Cup.

Go Wings Go!

What??

The Spengler Cup is international Club teams. In fact, I think that Canada is the only team that sends a "Country" team. It is run at the same time as the NHL season, so NHL players are not there. The World Hockey Championships are played during the NHL playoffs, so the players are the best from teams that are not in the playoffs. And the World Cup, which should be this year, has no future date set. Maybe 2012 or 2014, but nothing has been announced.

So, you are of the opinion that putting a player on the final Olympics the NHLer's play to gain experience would be a smart move to ensure we have international experince for a Club team tournament, a tournment which any NHL would prefer not to play in (as it means their team missed the playoffs or was kicked out early), and a tournment that might be in the future but no one is sure when??

Not sayin, just sayin. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  18:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Go Wings Go!

What??

The Spengler Cup is international Club teams. In fact, I think that Canada is the only team that sends a "Country" team. It is run at the same time as the NHL season, so NHL players are not there. The World Hockey Championships are played during the NHL playoffs, so the players are the best from teams that are not in the playoffs. And the World Cup, which should be this year, has no future date set. Maybe 2012 or 2014, but nothing has been announced.

So, you are of the opinion that putting a player on the final Olympics the NHLer's play to gain experience would be a smart move to ensure we have international experince for a Club team tournament, a tournment which any NHL would prefer not to play in (as it means their team missed the playoffs or was kicked out early), and a tournment that might be in the future but no one is sure when??

Not sayin, just sayin. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Well Beans, you're definately right about the Spengler, however there have been numerous NHLers who have competed at this tournament, most recently Cujo. Albiet, the few players with NHL experience are usually retired, or not under contract.

The World Championships often do have some very good NHL players, such as Ryan Smyth in the past. This team usually consists of players who's teams have not made it to the playoffs, but that shouldn't take away from one players ability. Rick Nash has competed here several times.

The World Cup is an NHL run/sponsored tournament, which is very similar to the olympics.

My point is, all three tournaments have players wearing the Red Maple Leaf crest. It is Hockey Canada's responsibility to put the best team on the ice whether it's a big name tournament, or the Spengler Cup.

If your suggesting that these tournaments mean nothing, and that it doesn't matter who they send, then you're entitled to your opinion.

I know that I'd feel much better sending a guy who has some experience playing in the week - two week long tournament style play, rather than someone who's new to it.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page