Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2010 Team Canada Roster Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Guest9656
( )

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  07:18:35  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

I'm not saying I wouldn't want this guy on my NHL team right now, but on an Olympic squad. Can he really be better then a Marc Staal or Jay Boumeester. Does he have the potential Drew Doughty has. Is he better then Duncan Keith. If he answers YES to all these then by all means he should be on the team, but I can't see him being a YES to any of the three questions. So I can't see him on Canada's Olympic team.

Dude, Drew Doughty isn't even playing in the NHL yet and you're comparing him to a guy who IS in the NHL?
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  07:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not saying I wouldn't want this guy on my NHL team right now, but on an Olympic squad. Can he really be better then a Marc Staal or Jay Boumeester. Does he have the potential Drew Doughty has. Is he better then Duncan Keith. If he answers YES to all these then by all means he should be on the team, but I can't see him being a YES to any of the three questions. So I can't see him on Canada's Olympic team.

Are you serious? Yes, he's better than Marc Staal. What exactly has Staal done that you'd put him on an elite team?

Yes, he's better than Boumeester too. I like Boumeester, but I would say that Green is able to skate with the puck better than him.

Yes, he has more potential than Doughty. If his league leading 14 goals in the NHL don't show you potential, then I don't know what will....

Duncan Keith? That's the best you could come up with? I am not even gonna answer that one!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  09:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hkahlirah, I agree with sending the best possible Canadian team to any competition. However, I don't agree with sending young players to the Olympics in 2010 to get them experience for tounaments such as the Spengler Cup and the World Championship.

To me, the potential of sacrificing the Olympic Gold by putting on young players over experienced players is not worth the value of setting up a team for a future tourney that does not have the prestige of the Olympics.
Go to Top of Page

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  09:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

hkahlirah, I agree with sending the best possible Canadian team to any competition. However, I don't agree with sending young players to the Olympics in 2010 to get them experience for tounaments such as the Spengler Cup and the World Championship.

To me, the potential of sacrificing the Olympic Gold by putting on young players over experienced players is not worth the value of setting up a team for a future tourney that does not have the prestige of the Olympics.

Even though history shows that third string goalies, and taxi squad players don't even get to play? They're basically just there to practice with the team.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  13:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSakic

quote:

Are you serious? Yes, he's better than Marc Staal. What exactly has Staal done that you'd put him on an elite team?

Yes, he's better than Boumeester too. I like Boumeester, but I would say that Green is able to skate with the puck better than him.

Yes, he has more potential than Doughty. If his league leading 14 goals in the NHL don't show you potential, then I don't know what will....

Duncan Keith? That's the best you could come up with? I am not even gonna answer that one!

Wow, okay. Although I highly doubt you watch Caps games this is just plain ludacris.
Better then Boumeester! That is slightly more then laughable.

Has more potential then Doughty! Doughty is arguably the best defenseman in his draft class. He can play an offensive game as well as a strong defensive game. Mike Green was nobody until this year. Do you seriously belive he will keep thid up for another 2 seasons.

And Duncan Keith is 10x better then Green. He plays physically, offensivly, defensivly. AND HE'S ONLY 25. In two years he will be at his prime and among the top defenders in the league.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  13:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]

Wow, okay. Although I highly doubt you watch Caps games this is just plain ludacris.
Better then Boumeester! That is slightly more then laughable.

Has more potential then Doughty! Doughty is arguably the best defenseman in his draft class. He can play an offensive game as well as a strong defensive game. Mike Green was nobody until this year. Do you seriously belive he will keep thid up for another 2 seasons.

And Duncan Keith is 10x better then Green. He plays physically, offensivly, defensivly. AND HE'S ONLY 25. In two years he will be at his prime and among the top defenders in the league.

The Boumeester issue is up for debate, but as for Doughty, you are comparing apples (an NHL player) to oranges (a NON-NHL player).
So what if Green was a nobody until this season? You are going to sit there and tell me that I have this defenseman who IS SCORING NOW, but I will give him up for this guy who MIGHT BE SCORING LATER? Does the name Alexander Daigle come to mind?

Duncan Kieth is only 25? Does that make him better than a 22 year old who has more points than him? Sorry, but I fail to see your logic...
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  14:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Points aren't everything. This just proves to me that you haven't watched Green play, but merely go by his stats.

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 02/06/2008 14:38:47
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  08:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Points aren't everything. This just proves to me that you haven't watched Green play, but merely go by his stats.

No, points aren't everything. And this does NOT prove whether I have seen him play or not....You make too many assumptions for someone who does not know me....But lets look at it on a totally objective level here. Put away your subjective glasses for a second.

If you look at it on paper only, here is what you'll see:

Duncan Keith - HT: 6-0. WT: 187. Shoots: L. NHL Seasons: 2.
Goals: 6. Assists: 12.

Mike Green - HT: 6-1 WT: 208. Shoots: R. NHL Seasons: 2.
Goals: 14. Assists: 20.

Now, if you are a scout and want to choose a player to play on the olympic team, who do you choose?

What I see is that you are trying to sell me someone who is smaller and doesn't really have much in the offense department. Given that Green is a right hand shot (which there is a shortage of) and can use his body more effectively I would think that this was a no-brainer.....

And YES, I have seen him play. He skates and moves like Niedermayer. He's got a good shot. He always plays the powerplay and does PK'ing. I have seen Keith play as well, and I can tell you, with confidence, that I would take Green over Keith any day!

Do your research before you post....
Go to Top of Page

Kovy_Sniper
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  15:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my lineup!

of course the lines might need to be changed up but heres 13 forwards

Sidney Crosby
Eric Staal
Dany Heatley
Jason Spezza
Vincent Lecavalier
Ryan Getzlaf
Rick Nash
Patrice Bergeron
Daniel Briere
Jarome Iginla
Jonathon Toews ( i do believe he'll be ready )
Joe sakic ( call me crazy be hes still got it )
Joe Thornton ( the 2 joe's for the vet's )

and Defense... shouldnt be too hard to pick

Go to Top of Page

Guest4411
( )

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  13:42:35  Reply with Quote
1 NHL will not be sending players to Olympics after 2010. That being said, they will want to field the best team regardless of experience. I think of guys like Tavares, Gagner, Toews and the likes and there are better young Candian players today that will be in their prime in 2010. There is no reason to give those guys experience if they won't be going to Olympics afterwards.

ok beans u know a lot about hockey but this theory you keep putting forward about no pros in the olympics i think u lost it. the nhl has said this for the last 4 olympics and then after concessions by the players and ihhf they more than happily went. Dont forget majority of league is still cdn and the pride factor to prove we are the best . It is pure negoating or youll see players put it in their contracs. The players pushed to be put in the olympics.Its about tv rev etc
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  16:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess we will wait and see. I know that after Olympics and Japan and Italy, the players complained about the travel. The never complained about Salt Lake and more than likely not Vancouver, as it is North America. The 2014 Olympics are in Russia. I personally doubt if they will go.

And the TV thing, I strongly disagree on that. The Olympic TV deals are based on the whole games, not just one sport. And I have never, through the all the Olympics I remember from 84 on, recall a TV station having only parts of the Olympics. CBC has always covered the entire games, including hockey.

And, I also disagree that anything about Olympic competitions will ever be in a players contract. What the hell would a tema benefit from by having their players in any kind of international competition?? The player contract is with the team, not the NHL. There is a thing in the CBA about sending players to the Olympics in 2010, but the CBA is also up for renegotiations before the 2014 Olympics.

If the players still feel negative towards the travel overseas for the Olympics, I would bet they will have a provision in the contract NOT to send players.

But that's just my opinion. You could be right and things could change.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  06:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forwards
Ryan Getzlaf-Sidney Crosby-Jerome Iginla
Rick Nash-Joe Thornton- Eric Staal
Paul Kariya- Vincent Lecavalier- Martin St. Louis
Brendon Morrow-Mike Richards-Shane Doan

Paul Statsny
Corey Perry
Marc Savard

Defence
Dion Phaneuf – Jay Bouwmeester
Brian Campbell – Brent Burns
Mike Green – Chris Pronger

Paul Ranger

Goalies
Roberto Luongo
Pascal Leclaire
Carey Price

This is it, boys. This is what it's gonna be!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6731
( )

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  07:07:24  Reply with Quote
1. Crosby Speeza Heatly - you might question this but speeza will only contribute offencively so why not put him with the player he plays best with, crosby will also rip it up with them.

2. Nash Lecavalier Iginla- enough said.

3. E.Staal Thornton Getzlaf - THE BIG LINE

4. Bergeron M.Richards St.Louis - speed line that will rack up points

D
1.Phaneuf Pronger
2. Campbell Weber
3. Burns Bouwmeester

G
Luongo
doesnt matter
doesnt matter

ThorntonisTHEMAN Paul Statsny is AMERICAN!!
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  07:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops! my mistake

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  14:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

oops! my mistake

Brett Hull.

Actually, he's American/Canadian - dual citizenship. He has suited up for America though.(dammit)

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  19:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will Chelios make that team in 2010?

I can only think of a handful of american defensemen off the top of my head that would beat him to it.

John Liles
Matthew Schneider
Eric Johnson
Jack johnson
Jordan Leopold
Paul Martin

Would Chelly take any of their spots?

"Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing."
Go to Top of Page

Datsyuk 1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
333 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  22:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forwards
Spezza-Thornton-Heatley Top scoring line
Nash-Crosby-Lecavalier Secondary scoring line
Iginla-Staal-Savard Another secondary scoring line
Richards-Getzlaf-Bergeron Big young line (Crash and bang line)
Defence
Phaneuf-Pronger
Phillips-Staal
Keith-Beauchemin Couldn't think of any other D
Goalies
Luongo-Giguere-Ward
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  05:03:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Datsyuk I like most of what you said

I'm just wondering if you could maybe get more out of Thornton by seperating him from Spezza and Heatley. Both of them can basically work alone, and make the third guy on the ice better. Thornton, as a vet playmaker, would be ill-placed on a line with them in my mind.

Also, to date, Spezza and Heatley have not proven they can produce when it counts. I would not have them on the first line.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Guest5684
( )

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  00:45:52  Reply with Quote
Goalies:
*Roberto Luongo VAN (Starter)
Doesn't matter
Doesn't matter

*This was just obvious. He's going to be the starter.

Defence:
Ed Jovanovski
Scott Neidermayer
Dion Phaneuf
Chris Phillips
Marc Staal
Mike Green
*Wade Redden, Brian Campbell, Dan Boyle

*I thought these guys might be good too

Forwards:
Sidney Crosby
Vincent Lecavalier
Joe Thornton
Dany Heatley
Jason Spezza
Ryan Getzlaf
Eric Staal
Jonathan Toews
Jarome Iginla
Rick Nash
Shawn Horcoff
Ryan Smyth
Go to Top of Page

Guest6986
( )

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  15:26:20  Reply with Quote
This is my team

Crosby-Spezza-Heatley
this line will work cause of their sucess with the senators. I believe that crosby is a simalar player to alfredson. This line has everyone, a goal scorer( Heatley) a play maker( Spezza) and speed(Crosby).

Lecavalier-Richard-St-Louis
This line will work cause of their sucess in Tampa. I no Richards is gone now but they stil all no each other. Plus this line also has the 3 elements speed, a play maker and a goal scorer.

Iginla-Thornton-Nash
This line also has the 3 element. ( Thornton) a play maker (Iginla) the speed and (Nash) a goal scorer. Plus they r all 3 big guys and will play a physical game like most third lines do ( this will be affective against the european teams).

E.Staal-Sakic-Getzlaf
This is a classic fourth line. Sakic is a hard working player with speed who can setup E.Staal and Getzlaf( they botth have amazing shoots). They r also a pretty big line who can throw the body around.

M.Richards
He is a great overall player who can play with anybody.

Niedermayer-Pronger
They play together with the ducks. Plus they r perfect for each other ( Pronger has the shot and Niedermayer can settup him up and bail him out uncase pronger losses it at the blue line.

Phaneuf- Bouwmeester
Phaneuf can hit and Bouwmeester can skate( the perfect pair). This line will be affective against the european teams.

Green-Campbell
These 2 d can score alot of points for Canada. Plus they both a defensive game in them incase they r stuck in their own zone.

Boyle
He is a 2 way d man who I believe can play with anyone( a little like M.Richard up front).

I get the feeling Jovanovski will be their because he plays with Gretzsky in Pheonix. And i am trully hoping Shane Doan will not be there( I no he is having a great season but he is geeting old and was never really good enough 2 be there).

Go to Top of Page

Guest6986
( )

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  19:09:26  Reply with Quote
o shXt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, loll i forgot about the goalies
-Brodeur
He is still great and coming of 1 of his best seasons.
-Luongo
He might be having a ruff season, but i believe he will rebound in time for 2010
- The last goalie is a hard choice. There r atleast 5 goalies in the running for that last spot. I will say Leclaire because he is having a great season with a not so great team. But that does not mean he will be my choice in 2 years from now.

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/11/2008 03:32:46
Go to Top of Page

Guest2763
( )

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  14:47:37  Reply with Quote
LW C RW
Mike Richards-Sidney Crosby- Corey Perry
Dany Heatley-Jason Spezza - Rick Nash
Vincent Lecavalier- Joe Thornton- Jarome Iginla (C)
Brenden Morrow- Ryan Getzlaf - Shane Doan (A)
Eric Staal

LD RD
Chris Pronger (A) Brian Campbell
Dion Phaneuf Robyn Regher
Wade Redden Jay Bouwmeester
Mike Green

Goalies
Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur
Marty Turco

Replacements
Jonathan Toews
Nathan Horton
Brent Burns
Go to Top of Page

Guest7418
( )

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  15:49:01  Reply with Quote
Putting Tavares on your list here is just dumb. Yes he's got great potential to be a great player, but there is a crapload of people who are far far ahead of him, and there is a second group that would fall into his category (young and potential). Heck.. Scouts are saying even now that most teams would pick Stamkos over Tavares if Tavares was allowed (which wont happen) in this years' draft.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2539
( )

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  11:17:18  Reply with Quote
here's my team:

L wing Center R wing
NASH CROSBY IGINLA
HEATLEY SPEZZA GETZLAF
E. STAAL LACLAVIER ST. LOUIS
TAVERS TOEWS SAKIC

PAHNEUEF CAMBELL
PRONGER BURNS
GREEN DUNCAN KEITH

LOUNGO
PRICE
GUIGERE spelling?????????

1 line- pure fire power
2 line- set up line that can finish
3 line- average players with experienced players to shut down ovie and company
4 line- 2 young guys to get them used to the internationel level with sakic
1 d- shut down
2 d- shut down with offence simmaler to 1 d.
3 d- fire power
loungo all the way
price same as the 4 line intro
Go to Top of Page

Guest2539
( )

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  11:21:40  Reply with Quote
tavers will be a great player and if you want him to be greater put on the nat. teem to........... play with other great player that he learn from only in his 1 year in th nhl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

to,guest7418
Go to Top of Page

KeithQuinn
Top Prospect

41 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  17:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

Forwards
Ryan Getzlaf-Sidney Crosby-Jerome Iginla
Rick Nash-Joe Thornton- Eric Staal
Paul Kariya- Vincent Lecavalier- Martin St. Louis
Brendon Morrow-Mike Richards-Shane Doan

Paul Statsny
Corey Perry
Marc Savard

Defence
Dion Phaneuf – Jay Bouwmeester
Brian Campbell – Brent Burns
Mike Green – Chris Pronger

Paul Ranger

Goalies
Roberto Luongo
Pascal Leclaire
Carey Price

This is it, boys. This is what it's gonna be!

Brett Hull.

no boumeester no leclaire

getzlag before nash no

karyia sucks (ADMIN EDIT - content removed - be sure not to insult other members or guests please)
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  18:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little earlier LF101 and SuperSakic are having a debate about Duncan Keith, Mike Green and Jay Bouwemester. I want to put in my two cents.

Mike Green
I think it's pretty easy to get points if you have a guy who is scoring over 60 goals in front of you. I won't deny that he is an exceptional skater but he still needs to work on his defence.

Duncan Keith
Very under rated. He was up there for +/- in the league for a team that didn't even make the playoffs. He can go out in any situation and like Mike Green he is also an exceptional skater. He also doesn't have a guy scoring 60 goals in front of him. He's lucky if he has a 25 goal scorer.

Jay Bouwmester
I think he could be a Norris trophy candidate if he was playing for a better team. He is big, physical, PHENOMENAL skater and a great two way defenceman.

I would take Jay Bouwmester and Duncan Keith before Mike Green any day because if you switch Mike Green with any of those players you will see a significant decrease in his goals, points and +/-. Where Bouwmester and Keith are still putting up good numbers and doing the work defensively on bad teams. I shiver thinking how Jay Bouwmester and Duncan Keith would do on a good team.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4413
( )

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  22:28:40  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Guest4912

you have no clue what doughty or Tavares are going to becaome, they could be the next greats or the next daigles, who know

we need to remain with the ol' reliables
Iginla-Crosby-Getzlaf
Nash-Lecavalier-Heatley
Savard-Thornton-Gagne
St. Louis-Doan-Smyth

Pronger-Phaneuf
Jovanovski-Whitney
Green-Campbell
Ranger

Luongo-Brodeur-Ward

THe team Cnada team needs stingy defense and good two way forwards if they want to win this thing. Canada is known for shutting down opponents by scoring 2 or 3 quick goals and then stopping them from getting a shot. Mike Green will be a powehouse point producer but will not log 25 min a game. that job is for Pronger, Phaneuf, Whitney and Jovanovski. obviously Luongo is a no brainer but I think Ward will challenge Brodeur for second spot.

What Whitney is your defenseman? the only one I can think of is Ryan Whitney of the pens and he's an american
Go to Top of Page

Guest0121
( )

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  05:17:12  Reply with Quote
hkalirah good lineup only i would take out smyth for toews or pretty much anyone else
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  07:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boyes - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Thornton - Lecavalier
Heatley - E. Staal - Getzlaf
Doan - M. Richards - St. Louis
Toews

Phaneuf - Green
Campbell - Pronger
Burns - Bouwmeester

Luongo
Turco
Fleury

Edited by - pensfan17 on 05/14/2008 07:44:20
Go to Top of Page

Guest9671
( )

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  14:00:03  Reply with Quote
First off, I can't believe some of you are picking Jason Spezza. Granted, he is a good player and everyone seems to be saying 'Spezza and Heatley play well together' WRONG. Spezza plays well with Heatley, and Heatley plays good with anyone. Look at the Worlds this year, Spezza got demoted to 3rd line (I think I even saw him on the 4th for awhile there) where as Heatley as stayed on the line with Nash and Getz. Gotta say, if I was an opposing team, that is one line I would definitely not want to defend against.

Anyways, here are my picks for 2010

Forwards
Lecavalier-Crosby-Iginla
Not much can be said about this line, it's too disgusting to replace anyone one it. Two snipers with a playmaker, it's just awesome.

Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley
So far, it's working right now and these guys will only get increasingly better by the time the Olympics come.

Toews-Mike Richards-Doan
Toews is a pure goal scorer when he stays healthy, and Richards is one quick all-around player, easily one of my favourites in the league. Then you add Doan, who not only scores, but will also run over the opposition given the chance.

Perry-Thornton-Carter
Thornton is a must, and he can play a checking role. He has shown that in the past on Team Canada. Carter will fit in well in the checking role as well, and could also pot a few goals as well. Perry can be a good checker if needed, and it will be needed here. He would mix well with Big Joe and Carter.

Extras: Turris, Gagner, and Bergeron

Defense
Pronger-Phaneuf

This first pairing is a no-brainer.

Bouwmeester-Burns
Both smooth skaters and anyone that over-looked Jay B, if he weren't on Florida, we'd hear a whole lot more about him. Classic case of phenomenal defenseman on a so-so team. Burns was one of Minnie's best this year, and he is certainly showing he can provide scoring.

Whitney-Green
Ryan Whitney is becoming a staple on the Pens D, he's by far their best shut down man on defense, plus he can also score the odd one. Mike Green came out of nowhere but holy, is he good. I think instead of sayign Ovechkin is the reason Green is getting all the points, it should be that Green has helped ADD to Ovechkins point total.

Extras: Doughty, Campbell, Weber

Goalies
Luongo
Fleury
Price

I honestly don't care which goalie is the starter, any of them will be fine by me.

Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  19:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hate to burst your bubble but Whitney is American.
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  20:31:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which Carter is that on your fourth line?

Stars for the Cup!
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  01:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay guys, I cannot believe some of the things that are being said in this thread. I swear some of you guys are off on another planet.

A couple of facts to put things in perspective....

1) Yes, the current climate dictates that after these forthcoming Olympics, there is a VERY good chance that NHLers will not be going to the next one, at least. Although this is not set in stone, it is a strong possibility. This means that there is less likelihood of there being "youth-grooming" at these games. That being said, by the time the roster is announced (about 16-20 months from now) we might already know that NHL talent is more agreeable to be going to the the following Olympics in general (or less agreeable, as the case may be!)

2) Very little will have changed in the perceived ability and qualifications of the players chosen between now and then. Why? Because now that this season and playoffs are all but over, there is only next season for players to prove their cases for inclusion on this roster. After that, there will only be a couple months of NHL play (in '09-'10) to prove otherwise. So for anyone who thinks that Brodeur might retire, or that Doughty might rocket to Top 8 by then is looking too far down the road. These things will pretty much have to happen before the end of next season.

Now with these realities in place, I am comfortable in making these statements:

- Brodeur will be there
- LeClaire will not
- Kariya will not
- Doughty will not
- Turris will not
- Eric Staal will be the only Staal there
- Ward will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat next season to earn a spot
- the last D-spot might just come down to Keith vs. Green...Bouwmeester is in though
- Mike Richards broke through this year; he will be there
- on the bubble and depending on what they do next season, including injury:Simon Gagne and Bergeron. If either one of these guys has an absent season next year, they will not make it. But each has to have a big season to make the team. Gagne is more likely than Bergeron though.
- Horcoff will not be there
- Beauchemin will not be there
- Sakic may very well retire at the end of next season and will therefore not be there
- Neidermayer is quite doubtful

Only a catastrophic injury will change any of this.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  06:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with most of what you said Pickles, except about "The last D-spot might just come down to Keith vs. Green".
I will continue to defend my assertion that Green will be one of the top tier defensemen, he finally got the chance to showcase his talent in the playoffs, and everyone was like "Wow! Look at that guy!". Also in the World Cup he's had a very good tourney.He will most likely be the defenseman with the most points in the end. He is leading in goals amongst defenseman (once again, as in the NHL), and he's only 2 points behind in 3rd place.

If he just repeats the season that he had this year, I think that his place on the olympic squad is pretty secure, and not as a Last-D-Spot either.

You heard it here first folks! You can go back to page 2 of this thread to see where I was going at it with another member in defending Green over Keith.
Go to Top of Page

Radoria
Top Prospect

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  07:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How 'bout:

Forwards:
Morrow--Thornton--Iginla
Nash--Lecavalier--St. Louis
Stillman--Spezza--Pominville
Kariya--Ribeiro--Doan

Defense:
Campbell--Phaneuf
Green--Jovanovski
Burns--Pronger

Goal:
Brodeur
Ward
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  09:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSakic

I agree with most of what you said Pickles, except about "The last D-spot might just come down to Keith vs. Green".
I will continue to defend my assertion that Green will be one of the top tier defensemen, he finally got the chance to showcase his talent in the playoffs, and everyone was like "Wow! Look at that guy!". Also in the World Cup he's had a very good tourney.He will most likely be the defenseman with the most points in the end. He is leading in goals amongst defenseman (once again, as in the NHL), and he's only 2 points behind in 3rd place.

If he just repeats the season that he had this year, I think that his place on the olympic squad is pretty secure, and not as a Last-D-Spot either.

You heard it here first folks! You can go back to page 2 of this thread to see where I was going at it with another member in defending Green over Keith.

You know what...you're right, there would have to be quite a sea change for Keith to pull clearly ahead of Green by next season's end. I am convinced that Green will be on that roster before Keith. But here's the issue: it might not even come to that; there might possibly be 7-8 D ahead of both of them in which case we're talking taxi squad now. Also, if Green should move up to top 8 status and make this team, he will be on the 3rd pairing and be on the top PP unit.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  09:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles
You know what...you're right, there would have to be quite a sea change for Keith to pull clearly ahead of Green by next season's end. I am convinced that Green will be on that roster before Keith. But here's the issue: it might not even come to that; there might possibly be 7-8 D ahead of both of them in which case we're talking taxi squad now. Also, if Green should move up to top 8 status and make this team, he will be on the 3rd pairing and be on the top PP unit.

I am curious to know who the 7-8 defense are that you think would be ahead of Green. I'm not challenging or anything, just being curious.
Go to Top of Page

pokermatt12
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  10:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Radoria

How 'bout:

Forwards:
Morrow--Thornton--Iginla
Nash--Lecavalier--St. Louis
Stillman--Spezza--Pominville
Kariya--Ribeiro--Doan

Defense:
Campbell--Phaneuf
Green--Jovanovski
Burns--Pronger

Goal:
Brodeur
Ward

OK so let us see what exactly is wrong with this roster:

-Well for one, there is no Crosby; the most dynamic player arguably in the game today.
-Stillman, Pominville and Kariya will not be on this team

Other then that you are entitled to your opinion, the things about your roster i mentioned above do not even include line combinations either. I like your idea of Ribeiro though, nobody has mentioned him yet and he has yet to reach his prime.

My lineup would be:

Lecavalier, Crosby, Iginla, Heatley, Nash, Savard, Thornton, Getlzaf, Sakic, Doan, Morrow and Staal

The three reserves would be:
Stamkos, Toews and Boyes

I left out St. Louis because of his size, although there are others who will argue that he should be in over Morrow, but the way Morrow has been playing, he should be there in 2010

My taxi squad are players who are young and talented, but might not make the cut come 2010

My defense are as follows:

Phaneuf, Pronger, Campbell, Neidermeyer, Boyle, Green, Jovanovski

This is pending Neidermeyer wants to play of course, if he does not, then i would choose Regehr

He who controls the present controls the past; he who controls the past controls the future.

Edited by - pokermatt12 on 05/16/2008 10:25:28
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  13:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is how I would rank the d-men.

1) Pronger
2) Neidermayer
3) Campbell
4) Redden
5) Phaneuf
6) Boyle
7) Regehr
8) Bouwmeester
9) Phillips
10)Keith/Burns/Green and a number of others.

You guys are forgetting a key component to a defensive core. A PURE SHUTDOWN GUY. Robyn Regehr may be the best shutdown d-man in the league and definately for Canada. Team Canada will need one of two guys like this that can be put against the Ovechkin's of the world. I would say that Keith would make the team before Green for this reason. Sure, Green is a tank and can throw points up. He was also a lowely +6 after having 56 points in the regular season. However, Duncan Keith lead all Canadian D-men in the league with a +30 rating having only 32 points himself on a team that missed the playoffs.

There is much more to a solid defensive core than players that can put up points. Green has a huge upside and is a great player. But, Pronger, Neidermayer, and Phaneuf can do what Green does if not more. I can reasonably expect to see 3-4 offensive type defensemen and 2-3 shutdown kind of guys. Keith might find a spot if he has a season as he did last year before the Olympics.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page