Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2010 Team Canada Roster Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

pokermatt12
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  13:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

This is how I would rank the d-men.

1) Pronger
2) Neidermayer
3) Campbell
4) Redden
5) Phaneuf
6) Boyle
7) Regehr
8) Bouwmeester
9) Phillips
10)Keith/Burns/Green and a number of others.

You guys are forgetting a key component to a defensive core. A PURE SHUTDOWN GUY. Robyn Regehr may be the best shutdown d-man in the league and definately for Canada. Team Canada will need one of two guys like this that can be put against the Ovechkin's of the world. I would say that Keith would make the team before Green for this reason. Sure, Green is a tank and can throw points up. He was also a lowely +6 after having 56 points in the regular season. However, Duncan Keith lead all Canadian D-men in the league with a +30 rating having only 32 points himself on a team that missed the playoffs.

There is much more to a solid defensive core than players that can put up points. Green has a huge upside and is a great player. But, Pronger, Neidermayer, and Phaneuf can do what Green does if not more. I can reasonably expect to see 3-4 offensive type defensemen and 2-3 shutdown kind of guys. Keith might find a spot if he has a season as he did last year before the Olympics.

beans, how can you possibly rank redden higher than any of those players below them? have you watched him and the rest of the lowly sens D play this season? Saying they underachieved would be an understatement. This is also the same player the sens wanted to get rid of in the summer of 07.

He who controls the present controls the past; he who controls the past controls the future.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  17:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only reason the Sens would want to get rid of Redden is his $6 million price tag. Redden ranked right around 20th in the league in most defenseman stats, and in the top 10 for Canadian Defensemen. With the Sens he was the highest scorer, 3rd in +/-, and had the second most minutes/game.

The thing with Redden is that he can play any type of play. He's big enough to throw the body, he can move the puck great, he can play the PP or the PK and he is a great skater. He has also played for Canada 5 times in his career.

Who would you put infront of Redden. If the defensemen match up the way I would see them, I could reasonably see this as the pairings:

Pronger-Campbell
Phaneuf-Rehegr
Boyle-Redden

Phillips/Bouwmesster spares

Personally, I think Neidermayer will not be playing in the next Olympics. He's going to fade away for a few years and end up back in hockey as a coach or in the front office somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  03:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of people seem to forget Redden's value. Just because he isn't a high-profile stats-machine, people seem to discount him. Indeed he has represented his country several times. And indeed he is highly regarded in international play. I'm pretty confident that he will be on the roster - barring catastrophic injury or personal decision, of course.

Jovanovski will most likely be on the team too. He has represented his country well several times, he had a great season last year - which increased his value - and he has the "Gretzky factor" working in his favour.

Bouwmeister is very likely there too. Although I don't personally list him as high, most credible hockey critics do, and more importantly, those having a hand in the decision do.

Boyle is a funny case for me...I again don't rate him as high as most others do, and his injury plagued season this year definitely hurt his chances, but as long as he has a solid '08-'09 I think the powers that be will have him in the top 8. I personally think that he is a defensive liability, and what he brings to the table can be provided by other more responsible D-men.

Neidermayer might be as good as retired right now, so he is a 50/50.

Phillips is definitely right in the mix.

Campbell's star is shining bright now. He just needs to build upon this season's performance to solidify his place. But if he bottoms out in '08-'09 he won't make the squad.

Pronger and Phaneuf are clearly in.

Regehr is a definite shutdown guy that will be seriously considered. I can certainly see him on that squad.

If there is a younger emerging D-man right now that hopes to make that roster, they would have to really break out next year to convince the decision-makers to include them. You could argue that Mike Green did that this year, and with lesser publicity, Keith too. But I am not convinced that that removes one of those other guys. We have one more season of play to see what happens.
But little will change.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  03:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSakic

quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles
You know what...you're right, there would have to be quite a sea change for Keith to pull clearly ahead of Green by next season's end. I am convinced that Green will be on that roster before Keith. But here's the issue: it might not even come to that; there might possibly be 7-8 D ahead of both of them in which case we're talking taxi squad now. Also, if Green should move up to top 8 status and make this team, he will be on the 3rd pairing and be on the top PP unit.

I am curious to know who the 7-8 defense are that you think would be ahead of Green. I'm not challenging or anything, just being curious.

No challenge taken...I enjoy the intelligent discussion. I, too, am only specualting.
I personally rate Green a little higher than a couple of the guys that will have a better chance at making the team (Boyle being one) but those making the decisions will have him rated lower.

I truly believe that there will be no surprises with this roster. I think there is a lot of stock in the belief that this might be the last one for NHLers and therefore it will be a 'safe' roster. No rolling of the dice on this one.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  06:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think a big mistake Canada has made in the olympics espcially last time around is the charactor it brings, now i would much rather have a guy like say Jeff Carter even if he only puts up say 65 points next year than a guy like Danny Heatly (not saying heatly is like this just useing him as an example) who is gonna complain about the lack of ice time and maybe not mesh well with the rest of the team. The team has to love playing together, personally i would gurantee Nash and Geztlaf tto be together and playing the same line they meshed really well at the WC and throw in Iginla on that line I'd say you have the overall best line in the tournoment. (overall best line) Plus you can't have all of one type of player, spezza i would argue has no place on thsi team because their are a few ahead of him such as savard and thornton and crosby to set up plays ,, spezza would take the place of a oure goal scorer you want standing next to thornton and crosby to put the puck home, another player i would want forsure if jordan staal can bounce back and score 45 to 55 points this ear he should have his place to you need role players Jordan would see limited 5 on 5 action but damn would he be on the ice first for every PK we cant just look at the top 20 canadian pointers and throw them together and expect to win, and on a side note the only three goalies in no specific order that should be considerd are luongo giguere and turco,, whoevers hot goes in the net ,,, bordeur nope sorry your time is up im a lot more confidant with the three i named before and even a couple more

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest0112
( )

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  08:24:35  Reply with Quote
Reasonably accurate,

Smyth, Savard (no way Jose), Staal and spezza are question marks. Possible inclusions are Sakic (if he's not retired). He is from BC and would be team captain if involved. Other possible include: M. Richards, J Toews. On defence M. Green will be there (bet on it). Long shot J.staal (monster defensivly and PK). You heard it here first.
smokey J

and he is a BC boywill not be there
quote:
Originally posted by hkalirah

Lets fast forward, it’s now 2010, and you’re Wayne Gretzky. Who do you put on Team Canada?

Here’s my picks.

Forwards

Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier, Spezza, Heatley, Thornton, Getzlaf, St. Louis, Savard, Staal, Nash, Smyth

Defence

Pronger, Phaneuf, Phillips, Campbell, Redden, Jovanovski

Goalies

Luongo, Brodeur, Ward

I’ve left guys like Niedermayer, Brindamour, and Shanahan off the list because I’m not sure if they will have retired by then.

Go Wings Go!

Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  09:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forwards- Crosby, Heatley, Lecavalier, Iginla, Nash, Staal, Morrow, Spezza, Perry, Getzlaf, Richards, Toews,

Defenceman- Regher, Campbell, Pronger, Phanuef, Green, Bouwmeester.

Goalies- Luongo, Brodeur, Turco

Spares- Burns, Jovonovski, Savard, Sharp

One thing I've seen is nobody including myself has put a defensive forward in there lineup. Last Olmypics it was Draper and before that it was Peca. So is there really a need for defensive forward?

Stars for the Cup!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  20:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gostarsgo12

Forwards- Crosby, Heatley, Lecavalier, Iginla, Nash, Staal, Morrow, Spezza, Perry, Getzlaf, Richards, Toews,

Defenceman- Regher, Campbell, Pronger, Phanuef, Green, Bouwmeester.

Goalies- Luongo, Brodeur, Turco

Spares- Burns, Jovonovski, Savard, Sharp

One thing I've seen is nobody including myself has put a defensive forward in there lineup. Last Olmypics it was Draper and before that it was Peca. So is there really a need for defensive forward?

Stars for the Cup!

my whole post was about that and how we need role players like a defensive forward say jordan staal

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  20:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are normally a few role players. Guys like Chris Draper come to mind. Peca as well.

There are a few players that are superstars that will accept a third line kind of role. I recall the last Olympics that Lecavalier and Thornton played very well in a third line kind of role. If I recall, they were the one shining star of the last Olympics.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6839
( )

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  18:35:58  Reply with Quote
ok im not a genious but im pretty sure that the top line of the team canada 2008 will all be there and most likely all playing together they will be the 2nd line the team so here are my lines

Crosby Thorthon Iginla
Nash Getzlaf Heatley
Lecaviler St Louis E Staal
Doan Symth Spezza

tavarez and J towves are the extras

Phaneff and Pronger
B Burns M Green
M Staal and E Jovanovski
the extra D is tough but it wont be B McCabe thats forsure

Brodeur Luongo and C Price

thats my team I cant believe all the posts I read but I didnt see Brent Burns on any of ur teams. besides Paneuff hes the next best D that canada has
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  10:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Pasty I must of missed it. It would be cool to see Eric, Jordan, and Marc all make it and win gold.

Stars for the Cup!
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  06:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is how I would rank the d-men.

1) Pronger
2) Neidermayer
3) Campbell
4) Redden
5) Phaneuf
6) Boyle
7) Regehr
8) Bouwmeester
9) Phillips
10)Keith/Burns/Green and a number of others.

You guys are forgetting a key component to a defensive core. A PURE SHUTDOWN GUY. Robyn Regehr may be the best shutdown d-man in the league and definately for Canada. Team Canada will need one of two guys like this that can be put against the Ovechkin's of the world. I would say that Keith would make the team before Green for this reason. Sure, Green is a tank and can throw points up. He was also a lowely +6 after having 56 points in the regular season. However, Duncan Keith lead all Canadian D-men in the league with a +30 rating having only 32 points himself on a team that missed the playoffs.

There is much more to a solid defensive core than players that can put up points. Green has a huge upside and is a great player. But, Pronger, Neidermayer, and Phaneuf can do what Green does if not more. I can reasonably expect to see 3-4 offensive type defensemen and 2-3 shutdown kind of guys. Keith might find a spot if he has a season as he did last year before the Olympics.

I have to take exception to some of your choices Beans.
- Neidermayer will be retired
- Redden is slow and not the same player he used to be (and will NOT bounce back next season - just my opinion)
- I just don't like Pronger, so I will hope that he is not on the team (I know, wishful thinking)
- Phillips is an OK defensive defenseman, but there's others that I would take before him (maybe someone like Foote)
- You knew this one was coming, but, after Green's perfomance at the Worlds and coming in 8th overall in scoring (as a D-man!), he will be chosen ahead of Boyle, Bouwmeester, Kieth, and Burns.
- Also I would throw Weber into the mix as well
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  07:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burns was rated top dman in tourny though. Its tough when it comes down to Keith, Weber, Green and Keith. Next season will be big for all of them if they want to prove themselves. Were still yet to see Weber in full potential as last year injuries took a toll. It would be good to see him paired with Dion on the backline in 2010.

Stars for the Cup!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  07:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll give it a shot . . . some good discussion here, I'll comment after my picks.

Team Canada 2010 Roster

forwards
Nash Crosby Iginla
Spezza Lecavalier Heatley
Smyth Thornton Staal
Morrow Doan Getzlaf

Reserves - St. Louis (for Spezza), Briere, Savard

defence
Pronger Redden
Phaneuf Regher
Bouwmeester Green

Reserves - Phillips, Burns, Keith

goalies
Luongo
reserves - Turco, Brodeur

My comments:
Sakic and Niedermayer will be retired, Gagne will have lingering injury problems, as will Jovocop I think (he's always injured anyways, and his value has diminished in my mind). I think Smyth will rebound with a stronger year, and I think Morrow will continue to play himself on the team, after a great run in this year's playoffs.

Mike Green has blossomed, and will have another great year to force his way on the team. Phillips and Burns could easily be starting, depending on play, match-ups and coaching style. In goal, Turco's star is rising, I see him as a solid back-up, with Brodeur having to swallow pride as the third man in. He may not accept on those terms; so it could be Giguere then. Darkhorse could be Fleury, watch for it!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Komisaurus
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  11:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are my lines in order and my explanations:

Forwards:
1) Lecavalier-Crosby-Iginla ~~~Strength all around...all goalscorers and one excellent playmaker in Crosby...
2) Heatley-Getzlaf-Nash ~~~This line ripped it up in this years tourney and had great chemistry...Again strength all around...
3) Toews-J. Thornton-E. Staal ~~~One big excellent playmaker in Thornton and 2 great goalscorers...
4) Doan-M. Richards-B. Morrow ~~~Great checking line with very good offensive upside, don't even know if this can be considered a checking line but Mike Richards is a GREAT 2-way player

Second Thoughts:
Savard, Spezza, St. Louis, Smyth...Savard, Spezza great playmakers...St. Louis good for speed or energy line...Smyth I'd like to have in, the only person I'd change him with would be Shane Doan or Ryan Smyth...
---------------------------------------------

Defense:
1) Pronger-Phaneuf ~~~Big strong defensemen with good offensive upside and strong defensive presence...
2) Green-Burns ~~~This team needs a pair of defencemen who are very good offensively, these guys played awesome in this years tourney and can only get better as time passes...
3) Jovanovski-Bouwmeester ~~~I noticed these guys in the NHL and this years tourney and can come in handy as a 5th and 6th defensemen...

Second Thoughts:
Campbell, Keith, Boyle, Phillips...Campbell to replace Burns or Green for offensive upside...Keith for Bouwmeester or Jovanovski...Boyle for Phaneuf and Phillips for Pronger...These are only if injuries occur to the top 6 D...
----------------------------------------------

Goalies:
1) Luongo ~~~Nuff Said
2) Brodeur ~~~Nuff Said (He will still have enough in him to play)
3) Turco ~~~I doubt he'd get to play but have him just in case

Second Thoughts:
Giguere, Price, Ward, Leclaire...Leclaire and Price looks like they'll be the next up and coming stars and will only get better with time...I Like Giguere but Ward not so much...
Go to Top of Page

Komisaurus
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  11:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is everyone saying Mike Green has 14 goals when he had 18??
Go to Top of Page

Guest9656
( )

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  11:59:58  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Komisaurus

Why is everyone saying Mike Green has 14 goals when he had 18??

I think ur reading an old post.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6058
( )

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  13:44:51  Reply with Quote
Forwards:
Crosby, Kariya, Iginla, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Briere, Spezza, Heatley, Thornton, Nash, M. Richards, Toews

Defense:
Phaneuf, Pronger, Bouwmeester, Green, Campbell, Burns, Boyle

Goal:
Brodeur, Luongo, Fleury
Go to Top of Page

dummy101
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  19:18:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WADE REDDEN, OMG !!! I don't care what his stats are, he is brutal. Has anyone actually watched him on the ice. If Phillips and his partner ,#24 the Russian ,can't think of his name, are not on the ice the Sens are lost. Next season just tune in to a game that Redden plays and watch him for a period and I would think this would end everyone's love affair with him. Ask the diehard Sens fans what they see and think of him.
Go to Top of Page

jsdepape
Top Prospect

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  17:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whoever didn't have thornton is an idiot no one in there right mind would leave him off of this team. The guy is amazing and by far the best canadian playmaker.

This is how there team should be.

Broedeur (He isn't too old yet the guy is still getting Vezina's)
Luongo
Fleury

Phaneuf Burns
Green Hamhuis
Pronger Weber
Extra-Boyle

E. Staal Crosby Iginla
Nash Getzlaf Heatley
Lecavalier Thornton St. Louis
Morrow Spezza M. Richards
Extra- Doan and Toews

Canada will need players like Hamhuis, Weber, Morrow and Mike Richards so that they will have players that have grit and are able to grind it out.
The line of Nash Getzlaf and Heatley should definetly be kept together because it was absolutely amazing at the world championships as were Mike Green and Brent Burns. If this team was assembled they would have a team with a lot of talent and grit and who can hit hard really hard (Phaneuf and Weber) There would also be a playmaker on every line ( Crosby Thornton Spezza and Getzlaf proved at the world championship that he can fill that role really well on the world stage.

The San Jose Sharks Own
Go to Top of Page

Guest1049
( )

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  04:38:13  Reply with Quote
I just did my list on my blog:

http://waikikihockey.blogspot.com/2008/08/canadas-olympic-teamin-2010-part-1.html

Pretty similar to a lot of what I just read. I few points:

Redden is going to be washed up in two years. He's already starting to slide.

How can Lecavallier has to start on the second line over Thornton. The team has too many passers and need all the scorers like Vinny it can get.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  05:52:34  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

I disagree that it is ''important to give the young guys a feel for the olympics'' -- if you are talking about the taxi squad, good and fine, but if you are trying to develop talent by bringing in a young guy at the expense of a better third string goalie as in Giguere (assuming your first two are Marty and Luongo) than you are maknig a big mistake.

The olympics come every four years, and you want to do whatever is in your power to win it all. I say go for broke, stack your roster, and make us the red white and gold for another year!

Habs get number 25 this year

I don't think putting the best (most talented)players on the ice will win.
Canada has to put the best TEAM on the ice if they want a chance for gold.

Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  07:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with phillips and weber, but would have spezza playing up front for sure.

I also think the Nash-Getzlaf-Heatley line might be re-united since they played so well together.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  09:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forwards

Lecavalier - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley
Toews - Thornton - Spezza
E. Staal - J. Stall - M Richards

Extras - Tavares, Stamkos

Defense

Pronger - Campbell
Phaneuf - Weber
Burns - Keith

7th D-man - Green

Goaltenders

Brodeur (If not retired)
Luongo
Fleury
Price (If Brodeur Retires)
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  06:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

Forwards

Lecavalier - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Heatley
Toews - Thornton - Spezza
E. Staal - J. Stall - M Richards

Extras - Tavares, Stamkos

Defense

Pronger - Campbell
Phaneuf - Weber
Burns - Keith

7th D-man - Green

Goaltenders

Brodeur (If not retired)
Luongo
Fleury
Price (If Brodeur Retires)

I personally like this lineup the best so far 2 tweaks i would personnaly add though,,,, Eric Staal not with his brother,, not that Jordan and Mike are not goal scorers they would be on the team to shut down big lines,,, which is what they are great at,,, Eric we would want scoring maybe move Eric up on he wing for spezza (don't think jason can handle the wing plus hes a play maker aswell eric will put joe's passes home) and bring shane doan in for the the Staal Richards line the give the youth a lil expirence..... and secondly Brodeur has no place on this team!!!!!!!!!!!! Fleury Giguere and Roberto are our three needless to say Roberto gets the starts

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  07:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just can't seem to understand why people think that players like Toews will be on the team. Even more so, Stamkos and Tavares??? What?? How often has a National team took rookies or 1st year players on their team???

And although Toews has played well in "JUNIOR" tourney's as well as the 1 NHL season he has played, how do that put him in front of the likes of Shane Doan, Martin St. Louis, Paul Kariya, Marc Savard, Jason Pominville, Mike Riberio, Brad Boyes, J.P Dumont, Paul Stastny, Alex Tanguay, Jason Arnott, Corry Perry, Andrew Brunette, Derek Roy, Cory Stillman, PM Bouchard, Nathan Horton, Patrick Sharp. EACH AND EVERY PLAYER I NAMED OUT PRODUCED TOEWS LAST SEASON!!!!!

Now, consider that Toews would be at best a 3rd line player, wouldn't a guy like Shawn Horcoff or Ryan Smyth fit better there?? Horcoff had 4 less points that Toews and played in 11 less games last season. Horcoff played every PK for the Oilers and is called on to play defense and dig every shift. That is a perfect 3rd or 4th line player for team Canada.

And that is talking about Toews. Stamkos and Tavaras have done NOTHING at the pro level to put them ahead of anyone.

My original Forward Line Up:

R.Nash-S.Crosby-J.Iginla
S. Gagne-J.Thornton-D.Heatley
E.Staal-V.Lecavalier-M.St Louis
R.Smyth-M.Richards-R.Getzlef

This was posted months ago. The only changes I might make is R. Smyth I would take out and put in Brad Richards. Depending on S. Gagne's heathly, I might put in Brad Boyes in that spot.

My spares were M.Savard, S. Doan, and D. Briere.

I would not put Toes, Tavaras, or Stamkos ahead of a single forward I have down. And, I can think of at least a dozen other players I would put on the team before any of those three.

Edited by - Beans15 on 08/13/2008 07:23:57
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  08:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason I put them in is because we made the mistake of taking the old guys last time, and I think they will be stars in 2 years, one guy I forgot is Stastny, also Pominville has chosen his fate to play in the U.S. I like the Staals together on the 4th line with Richards, all these guys are big, stong, full of heart, and they can shutdown any1. Also they have a huge offensive upside. I really can't see Smyth on the team, I think it would be a huge mistake to take him over a bunch of young talent we have.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  10:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The reason I put them in is because we made the mistake of taking the old guys last time, and I think they will be stars in 2 years, one guy I forgot is Stastny, also Pominville has chosen his fate to play in the U.S. I like the Staals together on the 4th line with Richards, all these guys are big, stong, full of heart, and they can shutdown any1. Also they have a huge offensive upside. I really can't see Smyth on the team, I think it would be a huge mistake to take him over a bunch of young talent we have.

I hear what you are saying but stongly disagree. I think the reason the Canadian's fell on their face last time was that Gretz and Co tried to build a hockey team out of offensive superstars. It didn't work. The team did not have enough roll player kinda guys to fill in the 3rd and 4th lines. They guys that should have been out there trying to shut down the other team were trying to score. It just didn't work.

And who was so old on the last roster??? There were maybe a half dozen guys that were over the age of 30 and most of those guys were playing in their prime. You are not suggesting that Joe Sakic should have stayed home because he was too old???

I just think there are a ton of players I would put in front of definately Stamkos and Tavares. We will be playing the best of the best from each country. We should send the same.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  12:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I hear what you are saying but stongly disagree. I think the reason the Canadian's fell on their face last time was that Gretz and Co tried to build a hockey team out of offensive superstars. It didn't work. The team did not have enough roll player kinda guys to fill in the 3rd and 4th lines. They guys that should have been out there trying to shut down the other team were trying to score. It just didn't work.

And who was so old on the last roster??? There were maybe a half dozen guys that were over the age of 30 and most of those guys were playing in their prime. You are not suggesting that Joe Sakic should have stayed home because he was too old???

I just think there are a ton of players I would put in front of definately Stamkos and Tavares. We will be playing the best of the best from each country. We should send the same.

The Staal's can be role players with huge offensive upside and Richards as well, as for Tavares and Stamkos this is hypothetically speaking that they will be on the path they are supposed to. Its not today's team its 2 years from now.

No where did I say Sakic was too old, I'm just sick of how they pick someone like Smyth over someone who is a little younger, faster, and better offensively with the same defensive awareness. I don't like Smyth and as for Doan I don't mind him because he had a big year last year.

But whatever this is just my personal opinion and as for that list of players better then Toews, I would pick Toews over everyone of them.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

Bozy
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  20:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lecavilier Crosby Iginla ( 2 Scorers and 1 Playmaker)
Nash Thornton Heatly (2 Scorers and 1 Playmaker)
Gagne Spezza Perry (2 Scorers and 1 Playmaker)
Morrow Getzlaf Doan (3 Checkers)

Boyle Pronger (Offensive with Defensive)
Cambell Pheneuf(Offensive with Defensive)
Green Webber (Offensive with Defensive)

Luongo
Leclaire

Also just to tell you everybody on this team is 6 foot tall or bigger . We are clearly gonna have the bigest team with the best defence and goaltending .

I have left out Brodeur because I believe Luongo is already just as good as him and Brodeur is not gonna be as good in two years as Luongo will be in two years .

Anybody have somthing to say about this post feel free to say anything .

Go to Top of Page

Bozy
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  20:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Price might be ready because he was a starting goaltender for Montreal in his rookie year.He is going to have 3 seasons played by the Olympics . He is very mature for is age . Also he has had past sucess in the under 18 team Canada team .

Anybody disagree.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  22:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Canadian Goalies are too strong to have Price in the mix. Fluery is ahead of Price and is about the same age. When you think about Broduer, he might still be there. Luongo is as close to a sure thing as you can get. Then you have guys like Giguere, Ward, Fluery, Turco, and Leclaire I just don't see Price as a top three in that group.

And in regards to Smyth on team Canada. The guy bleeds the Red Maple Leaf. He might not have the offensive upside of other guys, but no one can question his heart.

And the thing about younger guys, and specifically on this team is that this will be the last Olympics NHLer's will be involved in. That being said, the selection committee should(and mostly likely will) be not too concerned with having younger players on the team. There is no need to give players experience in a tourney they will never have to build again.

The will put the best team on the ice, and Stamkos, Toews, and Tavaras will not be part of the final roster or the taxi squad.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  10:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only "sure" thing is that we'll watch a line of Nash/Getzlaf/Heatly steal the show on many team Canada's in the future. There is also a strong possibility of seeing Burns/Green pairing up for years to come.
Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  13:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by hkalirah

Lets fast forward, it’s now 2010, and you’re Wayne Gretzky. Who do you put on Team Canada?

Here’s my picks.

Forwards

Crosby, Iginla, Lecavalier, Spezza, Heatley, Thornton, Getzlaf, St. Louis, Savard, Staal, Nash, Smyth

Defence

Pronger, Phaneuf, Phillips, Campbell, Redden, Jovanovski

Goalies

Luongo, Brodeur, Ward

I’ve left guys like Niedermayer, Brindamour, and Shanahan off the list because I’m not sure if they will have retired by then.

Go Wings Go!

first i'll start with goalies,, no brodeur no ward ,, luongo, Giguere, Pascal Leclaire (providing he keeps it up)

the reason i take brodeur out is i dont believe in 2 years he'll be a top goalie in canada if he gets there i feel it would be by rep and out of respect,,,,, Giguere i feel this guy gets overlooked a lot he has proven he is a stud in pressure situations,,,, a 1.89 G.A.A and 960 sv% in the playoffs is impressive,, also he has never done worse then a western conference final and he won a conn smyth with pretty much no team infront of him and his team didn;t even win the cup,, i'd be interested to know how many players have won the smyth and been on the loseing team. pascal i think is finally living up to his high draft choice and in the next few years will be one of the toughest to beat hands down....

for the D men i just have one guy i feel should be taken seriously under consideration not nessirily before any of the ones you put up but i feel in 2 years he could tap the top 5 in the league is Francois Beauchmein.....

forwards just one guy you're forgetting who has to be there in my opinion Shane Doan

Pasty

I like what you've done with Marty B. I agree, and I suprise myself by agreeing. I am one of Marty's biggest fans, but by 2010, he won't be an elite goalie. Elite veteran, yes, but not in the top 5 goalies in the NHL, nor top 5 Canadian.

In 2010, I'd give Marty an NHL 2011 overall rating of 88-90. =P
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  21:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else sometimes feel like they are the only sane person in the world??? What the hell is everyone talking about with Marty Brodeur??? What makes anyone think he will drop so significantly in the next 2 years???? My God the guy had the 2nd most wins in his career last season with 44!! He's had 38 or more wins for the past 10 seasons. So I guess being in the top 5 in the NHL (all goalies, not just Canadian) in wins, GAA, Save %, and total saves for basically the past decade means nothing?? Winning the only Olympic Gold medal for Canada in how many years means nothing.

The guy is showing absolutely no sign of slowing down in any way shape or form. The only person in Canada that would not put Brodeur on the team is Brodeur himself. If he doesn't feel like playing or wants to give a chance to another guy, sure. But if he wants to play, he will play and more than likely start!

And although I completely agree that Giguire is a star goalie, I don't think a Conn Smythe Trophy from 6 years ago puts him automatically on the team. Brodeur has done everything Giguere has done in the past 6 years better and has played more games.

I don't care if Broduer is Chilios's age in Vancouver, he's the man. #2 is Luongo. The rest can fight over the #3 guy on the taxi squad.
Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  07:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone else sometimes feel like they are the only sane person in the world??? What the hell is everyone talking about with Marty Brodeur??? What makes anyone think he will drop so significantly in the next 2 years???? My God the guy had the 2nd most wins in his career last season with 44!! He's had 38 or more wins for the past 10 seasons. So I guess being in the top 5 in the NHL (all goalies, not just Canadian) in wins, GAA, Save %, and total saves for basically the past decade means nothing?? Winning the only Olympic Gold medal for Canada in how many years means nothing.

The guy is showing absolutely no sign of slowing down in any way shape or form. The only person in Canada that would not put Brodeur on the team is Brodeur himself. If he doesn't feel like playing or wants to give a chance to another guy, sure. But if he wants to play, he will play and more than likely start!

And although I completely agree that Giguire is a star goalie, I don't think a Conn Smythe Trophy from 6 years ago puts him automatically on the team. Brodeur has done everything Giguere has done in the past 6 years better and has played more games.

I don't care if Broduer is Chilios's age in Vancouver, he's the man. #2 is Luongo. The rest can fight over the #3 guy on the taxi squad.

Look, I see what you're saying, but even with the Vezina last season, he played amazing, but it wasn't the Brody I've seen in the past. He is a GREAT leader and a GREAT goalie, but age takes toles on goalies. Look at Dom. He actually played real well in my mind in the 06-07 playoffs. 07-08 playoffs? Not good by any means. Now Hasek is older, but we are talking two years from now...
Go to Top of Page

2010teamforgold
Top Prospect

3 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  16:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought this team would be pretty solid.

Lecavalier Crosby Iginla
Nash Getzlaf Heatley
Gagne Thornton Toews
J.Staal M.Richards E.Staal
Spezza

Pronger Niedermayer
Phaneuf Boyle
Campbell Burns
Bouwmeester

Luongo
Broduer
Turco
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  14:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2010teamforgold

Thought this team would be pretty solid.

Lecavalier Crosby Iginla
Nash Getzlaf Heatley
Gagne Thornton Toews
J.Staal M.Richards E.Staal
Spezza

Pronger Niedermayer
Phaneuf Boyle
Campbell Burns
Bouwmeester

Luongo
Broduer
Turco

Almost identical to mine, I like it except theres no way Spezza will be sat over Gagne and Toews.

Chicago Blackhawks GM
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  02:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone else sometimes feel like they are the only sane person in the world??? What the hell is everyone talking about with Marty Brodeur??? What makes anyone think he will drop so significantly in the next 2 years????

Or how about the next 10 months...because when the playoffs end next June (10 months from now) the Olympic rosters will be announced within the following 2-3 months - before the 09-10 season even gets rolling. They will certainly be released before December of the Olympic season, seeing as how the Olympics start in Feb.
Soooo, all these superfans think that Brodeur will retire at the end of next season then?? If you look back at the posts you will see the word "retirement" stated clearly and specifically in regards to Brodeur! That's crazy-talk!!
I simply don't get it.
Yes, Beans, I too feel alone sometimes amidst the insanity.

I would like to see a poll on this, "Do you think Brodeur will be selected for the next Olympic roster?". It looks to me like it will be about 40 votes to 2 against it, and you and I will be the only correct ones.

(BTW, if he were selected, but chose to decline, it still means he was selected as per the language of the poll suggestion 'will be selected')

The only person that will not choose for Brodeur to be there is Brodeur himself.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  15:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

i'm sorry brodeur has looked uterly out classed and out of his place in the playoffs the last two years and a shade of his former in the years before that? no sign of slowing down??? in the playoffs he has been terrible ,, not just bad not just decent he has stunk,,,, the age of brodeur is over!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page