Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2010 Team Canada Roster Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

2010teamforgold
Top Prospect

3 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  10:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

quote:
Originally posted by 2010teamforgold

Thought this team would be pretty solid.

Lecavalier Crosby Iginla
Nash Getzlaf Heatley
Gagne Thornton Toews
J.Staal M.Richards E.Staal
Spezza

Pronger Niedermayer
Phaneuf Boyle
Campbell Burns
Bouwmeester

Luongo
Broduer
Turco

Almost identical to mine, I like it except theres no way Spezza will be sat over Gagne and Toews.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  12:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I waited long enough....

Lecavalier-Crosby-St. Louis
Gagne-Thornton-Iginla
Nash-Getzlaf-Heatly
Doan-Richards-Staal

ex-Toews

Pronger-Phaneuf
Boumeester-Reghear
Burns-Green

ex-Weber

Loungo-Broudeur

ex-Fleury
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  00:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

i'm sorry brodeur has looked uterly out classed and out of his place in the playoffs the last two years and a shade of his former in the years before that? no sign of slowing down??? in the playoffs he has been terrible ,, not just bad not just decent he has stunk,,,, the age of brodeur is over!

Pasty

They said the same thing about Sawchuk and Hall a few seasons before the big expansion...and they had several more stellar seasons! Brodeur has showed no signs of slowing down at all. So what if he can't carry the whole Devils squad by himself, he is still the best goalie on Earth. He will be the winning-most goalie in history shortly before those Olympics start, it would be insanity if he weren't there.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0051
( )

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  17:48:55  Reply with Quote
Forwards
no order*
crosby, heatly, spezza, getzlaf, perry, sharp(patrick), lecaviller, stlouis, iginla, toews, nash, staal

Defence
campbell, phaneuf, pronger, keith(duncan), redden, jovanovski

Goalies
luongo, price, ward

*no matter what team is assembled, tavares will not make a canadian team in 2010
Go to Top of Page

Guest0051
( )

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  17:50:38  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0051

Forwards
no order*
crosby, heatly, spezza, getzlaf, perry, sharp(patrick), lecaviller, stlouis, iginla, toews, nash, staal

Defence
campbell, phaneuf, pronger, keith(duncan), redden, jovanovski

Goalies
luongo, price, ward

*no matter what team is assembled, tavares will not make a canadian team in 2010

i wrote this and i would take redden off, and but green, from washington
Go to Top of Page

Guest0979
( )

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  19:06:26  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forwards
no order*

All I have to say is wow!! You must have a crystal ball or something because Sharp is completely out of left field. Hell he is not even in the ball park.

Let's see some of the names you left off it (just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing some other names): Thornton, M. Richards, B. Richards, Doan, Morrow, Boyes, Gagne, Begeron, Savard.

Even Spezza, St-Louis and Toews are quetionable over some of those you missed. But Sharp is no where in the same league as any of the mentioned.

Good luck convincing the GM to take Sharp over those other guys.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0051
( )

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  20:05:44  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0979

quote:

Forwards
no order*

All I have to say is wow!! You must have a crystal ball or something because Sharp is completely out of left field. Hell he is not even in the ball park.

Let's see some of the names you left off it (just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing some other names): Thornton, M. Richards, B. Richards, Doan, Morrow, Boyes, Gagne, Begeron, Savard.

Even Spezza, St-Louis and Toews are quetionable over some of those you missed. But Sharp is no where in the same league as any of the mentioned.

Good luck convincing the GM to take Sharp over those other guys.

hmm didnt sharp play for team canada in halifax this past year? hmm i think so
and if you think M. Richards will make the team over toews, then you are a fool :)
doan is decent, when no one else is able to play, and gagne is hurt alot
and how are spezza and stlouis questionable?
they are better then most of the players you listed " off the top of your head "
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  20:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both Toews and M. Richards will be on the team.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0979
( )

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  21:02:52  Reply with Quote
quote:
hmm didnt sharp play for team canada in halifax this past year? hmm i think soand if you think M. Richards will make the team over toews, then you are a fool :)
doan is decent, when no one else is able to play, and gagne is hurt alot
and how are spezza and stlouis questionable?
they are better then most of the players you listed " off the top of your head "

Strange that you call me a fool. Coming from a person who picked Sharp over let's say M. Richards or Thornton. I'll let the readers decide who is the real fool. I didn't say I'd take M. Richards over Toews, I said I'd take him over Sharp. In a heartbeat. I'd take any of those other guys over Sharp in a heartbeat.

As for questionable, I mean debatable. Sure they put up tons of points, but Spezza is brutal in his own end and St-Louis has slowed considerably from his MVP days. There is more than enough fire power in your list, you need people to stop the likes of Russian beast Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk. They are not bad picks in and of themselves but I think the GM will unlikely leave out shutdown players (but still offensively gifted) in one of these three Doan, Morrow and M. Richards.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4910
( )

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  22:23:49  Reply with Quote
crosby-iginla-staal
getzlaf-heatley-nash
thornton-doan-sakic
lecavalier-st-louis-toews

green-keith
burns-phaneuf
pronger-neidermayer

brodeur-luongo-turco

backups: dereck roy-mike richards-daniel briere-pomimville-bouwmeester-carey price
Go to Top of Page

Guest5721
( )

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  01:32:46  Reply with Quote
No Sakic? Are you kidding me? He'll have the C on his jersey for sure! Burnaby Joe coming home to lead Canada to Gold! I can't think of a better way to finish your career. I'm sure Goaltending duties will be shared by Brodeur and Luongo. It'll be almost an unfair advantage for Luongo playing in his home arena.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6740
( )

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  10:12:14  Reply with Quote
Savard-Spezza-Heatley
Thorton-Lecavlier-Iginla
Nash-Crosby- St. louis
Doan-Briere-Kariya

ex-Sakic

Campbell-Phaneuf
Redden-Green
Burns-Weber

ex-Pronger

Loungo-Leclaire

ex-Gigurere

I know this might like a weird line up but i don't see alot of chemisty with some players I honestly think my 1st line and 2nd line would own the whole tournament other than that chemisty wise I dunno, I still think we would win it all with this team
Go to Top of Page

Guest5798
( )

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  19:56:02  Reply with Quote
Dont Forget about up coming youngsters, what about jarred staal, or other young greats that could get drafted????
Go to Top of Page

Guest9089
( )

Posted - 11/07/2008 :  12:52:19  Reply with Quote
[ 2010, and you’re Wayne Gretzky. Who do you put on Team Canada?

Here’s my picks.

Forwards Getzlaf, E Staal, J Thonton, Lecalvier, Nash, Smyth, Heatlley, Crosby, Savard,J,P. Dumont, Spezza, Perry***** and other possibllities are Kariya, Gange, Briere, Sharp St Luis and Marleau

Defensemen Pronger, Phaneuf, Campbell, S Weber, Souray, M Greene *********other possibillities i see are Girardi, Bieska and D Boyle

Goalies i see Luongo, Price and Fleury
********Depending on their performances i could see Brodeur and J.S. Giguere having some potential of going.

***** mean those players i dont forsee those players going as strongly
Go to Top of Page

Guest6351
( )

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  13:39:22  Reply with Quote
i would have to say

forwards

Iginla-heatly-thornton
nash-perry-getzlaf
levalier-st luis-staal
savard-crosby-spezza

defense

Phaneuf-pronger
Redden-Campbell
Weber-Greene

Goalies
Luongo- Fleury -Price - Broduer
Go to Top of Page

HockeyFan12
Top Prospect

15 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  13:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It should look like this..

Gagne Thornton Nash
Lecavalier Crosby Iginla
Heatley Spezza Getzlaf
Doan Staal Morrow
Toews

Pronger Campbell
Phaneuf Burns
Green Weber
Boumeester

Luongo
Brodeur
Price

other possibilities: Smyth, Savard, St.Louis, Perry M.Richards, Briere, Souray, Boyle, Doughty, Giguere, Ward, and perhaps Stamkos(if he starts to play some good hockey)
Go to Top of Page

Guest4943
( )

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  23:25:18  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

my team

Forwards
Sidney Crosby(A),Johnathon Toews,Jarome
Iginla(C),Sam Gagner,Dany Heatley,Jason Spezza,
Eric Staal(A),Jordan Staal,(A)Rick Nash,Brad Boyes,
Vincent Lecavalier,Jason Krog

Defence
Brian Campbell,Dion Phaneuf,Ed Jovanoski,Marc Staal,Ian White,
Mike Green

Goalies
Justin Pogge(Starter),Carey Price,Roberto Luongo

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<

Wings 4 Da Cup

Okay, so I can understand why you chose to put iginla and crosby in as captain and assistant captians. but the staal brothers do not make sense. why not take crosby off and put the third staal as an assisstant captain. and oh yeah you forgot the fourth brother might as well stick him in there.
and justin pogge? are you kidding me? this doesnt make any sense considering he still plays in the AHL!
at this point broduer could be retired because if his injury he has at the moment.
and I also noticed that no one has considered Willie Mitchell as a defensemen.. he has clearly upped his game in the last two seasons with the canucks and is currently sitting with one of the best plus/minus in the league.
I would also take johnathat toews off the line up the boy is still young and hasnt made that much of an impact on his team throughout his current NHL career.
and please for the love of god take jovanoski off the roster. he has gone downhill in the last few years. he is getting older. Instead add Morrison. He deserves it. He is still young.

forever a canuck.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  01:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4943

and please for the love of god take jovanoski off the roster. he has gone downhill in the last few years. he is getting older. Instead add Morrison. He deserves it. He is still young.

forever a canuck.

Jovanovski had the highest point total of his career last year, you may call that going downhill but most of us say the other way around.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7499
( )

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  07:32:40  Reply with Quote
Team Canada in 2010 will have a very different look then did after that horrible display in Italy in 2006. Here are my picks for the 2010 team:

1st line:
Nash Crosby Iginla

2nd line:
Gagne Lecavalier Heatley

3rd line:
M. Richards J. Carter Savard

4th line:
E. Staal Thornton J. Staal

Alternates:
Toews
Doan

1st pairing:
Phaneuf Pronger

2nd pairing:
Green Bouwmeester

3rd pairing:
Souray Boyle

Alternates:
Schenn
Redden

Goalies:
Luongo
Price
Giguere - 3rd

C - Luong
A - Iginla
A - Crosby

Let me know what you guys think!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9113
( )

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  13:42:23  Reply with Quote
how come nobody has mentioned paul stastny? he has had 2 1/4 solid years with season career totals of 56 goals, 110 assists, 166 points in 171 games. thats a point per game average of 0.97. he's the 2nd line centre(behind Joe Sakic) I think Stastny could be on the 2010 team canada
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  15:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9113

how come nobody has mentioned paul stastny? he has had 2 1/4 solid years with season career totals of 56 goals, 110 assists, 166 points in 171 games. thats a point per game average of 0.97. he's the 2nd line centre(behind Joe Sakic) I think Stastny could be on the 2010 team canada

Because hes AMERICAN

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  12:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the U.S team isn't even that ba anymore. Stastny only played because his brother played for them. He has dual-citizenship.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  15:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure how the country you play for really works. Using Heatley as an example, he was born in Germany. However, at least one of his parents were Canadian.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the country you play for is based on where you parents were born as well. And once you play for a specific country, you can not play for another???

I am pretty sure that is how it works. Ultimately, Stastny could theoretically play for the Czech Republic as that was his fathers birth country.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  16:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i remember this post. but this was my friends screwing around on my account. Jason KrogOFF, and id leave pogge and price off until we see their future. also white doesnt deserve to be there.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest4943

quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

my team

Forwards
Sidney Crosby(A),Johnathon Toews,Jarome
Iginla(C),Sam Gagner,Dany Heatley,Jason Spezza,
Eric Staal(A),Jordan Staal,(A)Rick Nash,Brad Boyes,
Vincent Lecavalier,Jason Krog

Defence
Brian Campbell,Dion Phaneuf,Ed Jovanoski,Marc Staal,Ian White,
Mike Green

Goalies
Justin Pogge(Starter),Carey Price,Roberto Luongo

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<

Wings 4 Da Cup

Okay, so I can understand why you chose to put iginla and crosby in as captain and assistant captians. but the staal brothers do not make sense. why not take crosby off and put the third staal as an assisstant captain. and oh yeah you forgot the fourth brother might as well stick him in there.
and justin pogge? are you kidding me? this doesnt make any sense considering he still plays in the AHL!
at this point broduer could be retired because if his injury he has at the moment.
and I also noticed that no one has considered Willie Mitchell as a defensemen.. he has clearly upped his game in the last two seasons with the canucks and is currently sitting with one of the best plus/minus in the league.
I would also take johnathat toews off the line up the boy is still young and hasnt made that much of an impact on his team throughout his current NHL career.

forever a canuck.

Leafsfan_94

Edited by - Leafsfan_94 on 12/03/2008 05:13:50
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  11:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I am not sure how the country you play for really works. Using Heatley as an example, he was born in Germany. However, at least one of his parents were Canadian.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the country you play for is based on where you parents were born as well. And once you play for a specific country, you can not play for another???

I am pretty sure that is how it works. Ultimately, Stastny could theoretically play for the Czech Republic as that was his fathers birth country.

Yeah, once you play internationally for the country you can no longer switch back. He play for the U.S at the 2007 WC so he now cannot play for Canada. Stupid decision if you ask me, he could've been on hockey's holy grounds playing in front of crazy fans and what not but chooses the U.S (Crickets chirping). Same deals with Pomenville, that is 2 solid players playing for the US now.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.

Edited by - Axey on 12/02/2008 11:05:56
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  11:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Yeah, once you play internationally for the country you can no longer switch back. He play for the U.S at the 2007 WC so he now cannot play for Canada. Stupid decision if you ask me, he could've been on hockey's holy grounds playing in front of crazy fans and what not but chooses the U.S (Crickets chirping). Same deals with Pomenville, that is 2 solid players playing for the US now.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.

It seems stupid, but at the same time barring injury these 2 will for sure get to play in the Olympics and they both would not play for Canada.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  11:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's a bad idea for a player to play for a team other than Canada. Thinking as a fan not affiliated with a team specifically, and thinking as a player. In Stastny's position, he has a far better opportunity to play and play significant minutes on an American National Team than he does for a Canadian National Team.

Very similar to Owen Hargraves in soccer. He could have played for Canada, Germany, or England. He chose England. Not as unpatriotic, but as a player who wanted to play on the World Stage. He would never play in the World Cup if he played for Canada.

Go to Top of Page

Mikey Boy
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  21:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phillips NOOOO WAY! go with Souray! or Green

Iginla, Thornton, Crosby, Lecavilier, Heatley, Savard, Briere, Getzlaf, Spezza, St Louis, B. Richard/ Staal

Phaneuf, Cambell, Pronger, Green, Jovanovski, Boyle, Burns

Luongo, Brodeur, Fleury.

"C" - Iginla
"A" - Thornton
"A" - Pronger

MP
Go to Top of Page

Mookie
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2008 :  11:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Message Preview
Just want to add my 2 cents

- There is no way that Kariya will ever make the team...... ever, there are definitely better players

- I would be impressed not to see Mark Staal on the team, he is the best of the Staal brothers, and don't bring up points cause you can't compare a d-man with a forward. (I live in Tbay.... where they are all from, my friends have played on teams with all of them so I've seen them play many times)

- For defense, yes Mike Green is good as scoring.... But Duncan Keith is better as a d-man

- Patrick Sharp is a sick player, and is incredibly underrated. But he will not make the team (I would love to see him though as he is from here as well)

- Toews MIGHT make it.... maybe, but its a strech.... Tavaeres and Stamkos WILL NOT.... I will bet on it

- Sakic just cut off his fingers... I'm betting he will retire

- Brodeur is the best goalie in the world... He will not go downhill that much in a year and a bit, He'll be there

- I think Neidermayer will be retired, Pronger is on the back 9 of his career but MIGHT make it just to have a veteran d-man

That being said here is what I think it will look like

Lecavalier - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Thornton - Heatley
Gagne - M Richards - Savard
E Staal - Getzlaf - Doan

*Close - J Staal, Spezza, J Carter, Toews (maybe)

Regher - Phanuef
Keith - Staal
Green - Boyle

*Close - Pronger, Seabrook

Luongo
Broduer
Fleury or Turco (Can't decide)

You can rip it apart all you want this is just my opninion, I would like to see the younger guys as opposed to the same guys from 2006

Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  08:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm finding it very interesting that Phaneuf has been mentioned by almost everyone (and rightly so) but Boewmeester has been left off of a lot of the lists.
They have comparable numbers:
Phaneuf: 3 goals, 23 points, -9, 28:03 minutes/game, 2.6 shooting %
Boewmeester: 6 goals,18 points,+4,27:42 minutes/game,7.8 shooting%

Jay Boewmeester is one of the elite defencemen in the NHL and it would be a shame to see him be left off the 2010 roster.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

harry_leafs
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  23:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FW (age in 2010 in brackets)
Iggy (33) *C* - Crosby (23) - Gagne (30)
Will just be a scoring machine out there. Gagne is dynamite in international and is (in my opinion) a lock to play with crosby. Iggy is just the man.

Heatley (29) - Getzlaf (25) - Nash(26)
Big, strong, tough, mean, skilled. What else can you say about these guys? The perfect blend of toughness and talent. Plus all lit up the WHC together in 2008, no strangers

Doan (34) *A* - Richards (25) - Morrow (31)
The grind line. They all bring superb energy and all play with amazing passion. Skilled as well. All three captains of their teams

Toews (22) - Thronton (32) - Lecavalier (30)
Not too bad for the fourth line, eh? Thronton and Lecavalier will work well being skilled big boys who can move. In my opinion Toews definitely deserves to be in the rotation

Savard (30), Carter (25)
Savard is insane. Carter can do it all; score in bunches, PK, PP, energy. Gets my vote over Staal, Spezza

Key Cuts:
E.Staal, Spezza, Sharp, St.Louis, Setoguchi

D:
Weber (25) - Phaneuf (25)
Pronger (36) *A* - Campbell (31)
Bouwmeester (27) - Green (25)
Burns (25)
Overall a VERY good defense corps who can do it all. Got the overall play of Weber, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester and Burns - the imposing presence of Pronger and the offensive minded Campbell and Green who are in their own right responsible defensively

Tendies:
Luongo (31)
Brodeur (38)***
Giguere (33)
Price (23)
If Brodeur does not decide to play Giggy will back up and Price will be #3
Go to Top of Page

Hustler90
Top Prospect

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  17:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LW C RW
Heatley Crosby Iginla
Lecavalier Thornton St. Louis
Nash Savard Toews
Morrow Staal Getzlaf

Fillers:M.Richards,Perry,Briere

LD RD
Pronger Niedermayer
Phaneuf Campbell
Green Boyle

Fillers:Keith, Weber

G
Fleury
Luongo
Price

If i was Gretzky that is who I would go with, but there is a lot of Canadian talent, It's hard not to pick an outstanding team.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  17:48:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really starting to become bewildered by people on this site. When I first joined, there was serious discussion from people that had some hockey knowledge. At least those without the knowledge were eager to learn. As of late, all I see is trade Toskala, Crosby's weak, and this Jonathan Toews crap for team Canada??

Toews is far from a pillar defensively and let's face it, there are many players from Canada that are higher on the skill side than Toews. I'm not trying to say the guy is a tool, but c'mon. How can you possibly consider Toews on this team and not consider the likes of Doan, Marleau, Riberio, Boyes, Dumont, Briere, Cammalleri, Brad Richards, Perry, Tangauy, and Derek Roy? Even guys like Jeff Carter, Devin Setogouchi, Todd White, and Bryan Little have been making names for themselves.

All of the players I've mentions are better all around players today and will still be better in 2010 that Toews. Toews is not good enough either offensively or defensively to make the team on one of those dimensions. He is not as good 2 way as most of the guys I listed. I don't think he plays physical enough nor is strong enough on special teams to earn a spot over these guys either.

Seriously people, give your head a shake and think about it. You might be able to argue a couple of the guys I listed, but can anyone out there legitimately argue that Toews would make a better addition to Team Canada over Marleau, Brad Richards, Breire or Perry???

Go to Top of Page

Guest8332
( )

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  06:22:01  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harry_leafs

FW (age in 2010 in brackets)
Iggy (33) *C* - Crosby (23) - Gagne (30)

Heatley (29) - Getzlaf (25) - Nash(26)

Doan (34) *A* - Richards (25) - Morrow (31)

Toews (22) - Thronton (32) - Lecavalier (30)

Key Cuts:
E.Staal, Spezza, Sharp, St.Louis, Setoguchi

D:
Weber (25) - Phaneuf (25)
Pronger (36) *A* - Campbell (31)
Bouwmeester (27) - Green (25)
Burns (25)

Tendies:
Luongo (31)
Brodeur (38)***
Giguere (33)
Price (23)

Sorry about the edits. I like this roster the best of all that has yet been posted with the exception of Toews over E. Staal. Staal will make it over Toews in a heartbeat. I'd also juggle lines a bit too but lines are so fluid and at the whim of the coach that it doesn't really matter much.

For defense I'd take one of Campbell or Green but not both. I'd insert Regher and may even think of having Boyle over the remainder of Campbell/Green. As for goalie, it can't argue with that list but after Brodeur and Luongo, it doesn't matter who the third is.
Go to Top of Page

Hustler90
Top Prospect

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  10:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said man, there is a lot of Canadian talent, If you pick one guy over another it's probably not gonna make a huge difference. Toews is hard working guy that plays with more passion than a lot of guys that have been listed. Passion and hard work is what's gonna win the Olympics. And as for Toews not being fit defensivley..you must be out of your mind my dear boy. The guy has amazing offense and hes probaly almost just as good on the defensive end. The guy is great in all areas on the ice. Canada would be crazy to not choose Toews.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  13:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hustler90

Like I said man, there is a lot of Canadian talent, If you pick one guy over another it's probably not gonna make a huge difference. Toews is hard working guy that plays with more passion than a lot of guys that have been listed. Passion and hard work is what's gonna win the Olympics. And as for Toews not being fit defensivley..you must be out of your mind my dear boy. The guy has amazing offense and hes probaly almost just as good on the defensive end. The guy is great in all areas on the ice. Canada would be crazy to not choose Toews.

I would not dispute much of this at all except for the last line. I did not say that Toews is a pylon. He is not. But a guy like Patrick Marleau or Brad Richards can do anything that Toews can do, if not better and have played and won on the Olympic stage.

Toews is a very solid player, do doubt, but I do not put him ahead of the likes of Marleau, Richards, Morrow, etc. He's just not as good. To me, it's plain and simple.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  20:22:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my picks
Forwards
Line 1 LW Patrick Marleau C Sidney Crosby RW Jarome Iginla
Line 2 LW Simon Gagne CMarc Savard RW Devon Setoguchi
Line 3 LW Ray Whitney C Joe Thornton RW Shane Doan
Line 4 LW Rick Nash C Ryan Getzlaf RW Brad Boyes

Defense
D1 Rob Blake and Chris Pronger
D2 Dan Boyle and Brian Campbell
D3 Sheldon Souray and Luke Schenn

Goalies
Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur
Steve Mason

what you think??

Edited by - hanley6 on 12/30/2008 20:33:34
Go to Top of Page

Guest9694
( )

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  20:38:51  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Here is my picks
Forwards
Line 1 LW Patrik Marleau C Sidney Crosby RW Jarome Iginla

Defense

Goalies
Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur
Steve Mason

Wow, where to start shooting this one down?

Offense, if you are going to put the 3 sharks on the team should you not put them together too? Setoguchi? Surely thy jest. I won't even start on Ray Whitney. Mr. Yzerman you left off the likes off M. Richards, E. Staal, J. Carter, Lecavalier, Heatley.... and put them behind the likes of Setoguchi and Whitney. Could you explain?

Defense, Schenn and Blake. Puh-lease. Over Burns, Phaneuf, Weber, Regher, Green, Jovo...? Blake is going to be 90 years old by the time the 2010 olympics roll along. Schenn has done squat. Same question as above.

Your goalies are the only thing that makes any sort of sense, but it doesn't matter who you put as the third goalie after Luongo and Brodeur.

Give your head a shake and then shake it some more.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  23:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9694

quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

Here is my picks
Forwards
Line 1 LW Patrik Marleau C Sidney Crosby RW Jarome Iginla

Defense

Goalies
Roberto Luongo
Martin Brodeur
Steve Mason

Wow, where to start shooting this one down?

Offense, if you are going to put the 3 sharks on the team should you not put them together too? Setoguchi? Surely thy jest. I won't even start on Ray Whitney. Mr. Yzerman you left off the likes off M. Richards, E. Staal, J. Carter, Lecavalier, Heatley.... and put them behind the likes of Setoguchi and Whitney. Could you explain?

Defense, Schenn and Blake. Puh-lease. Over Burns, Phaneuf, Weber, Regher, Green, Jovo...? Blake is going to be 90 years old by the time the 2010 olympics roll along. Schenn has done squat. Same question as above.

Your goalies are the only thing that makes any sort of sense, but it doesn't matter who you put as the third goalie after Luongo and Brodeur.

Give your head a shake and then shake it some more.

I didn't count Dany Heatley because he is German and Canada has enough good hockey players I don't feel we need him to play for Canada. And I picked out the top Canadians on their prospective positions and Blake will be 41 if he's still playing he will Still be one of the best 6 Canadian D- Men in the NHL and he does deserve to play. But if Blake doesn't play then I'd have to pick Shea Weber. I didn't pick Eric Staal because he is a Center men and he couldn't lick the boots off Crosby, Savard, Thornton or Getzlaf. Jeff Carter on the other hand is having a great year this year but I don't know I think Getzlaf is a little better it would be a tough one between Getzlaf and Carter. Vinny Lecavalier hmmmm, he's not performing well this year, he just hasn't been himself but if he picks it up between now and 2010 I could easily see him stealing the spot from Getzlaf but I think Getzlaf is going to be huge in the NHL by then so I think he'll be safe. I'll explain Devon Setoguchi and Ray Whitney. Devon Setoguchi is a RW he's playing very well this year he's having a great season he is in the top 4 RW in the NHL right now and is 2nd for Canadian Right Wingers. I could easily see Setoguchi make team Canada in the 2010 Olympics, however I could see a toss up between Brad Boyes and Corey Perry. The reason why I picked Ray Whitney is because he's been on fire in the last few years he's easily one of the top Canadian Left Wingers in the NHL and he is very deserving to represent Canada for the 2010 Olympics. I already explained Rob Blake. Luke Schenn it's his rookie year and he's already one of the best Defensive D-Men in the NHL, Schenn wont get you much points but a true Defensemens job is to take the body and protect the goalie and Schenn has done an excellent job, He is an excellent hitter. He is one of the best in the League and he's only 19 years old he definetly deserves to represent Canada. Brent Burns he don't impress me. Robyn Regehr????? what???? there is nothing special about him, he does not deserve a spot over Chris Pronger, Dan Boyle, Luke Schenn, Brian Campbell Sheldon Souray, Rob Blake (if not Rob Blake then Shea Weber) Mike Green would actually be a good player too so if no Blake then it would be between Shea Weber and Mike Green. Ed Jovanovski doesn't deserve it, he's not that good, plus his +/- is horrible....

I think you should give your head a shake because I think I picked out an excellent team to represent Canada. Let me see you pick out a team to represent having the players playing there actual positions

Edited by - hanley6 on 12/30/2008 23:12:09
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  23:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, we seem to have some interesting opinions. Let's discuss.

I will bet my first born that Heatley will be there. Firstly, because he is still one of the top 5 goal scorers in the league. Secondly, because he can't play for Germany anymore (he's already played in international competitions as a Canadian). I would venture to say the same about Lecavalier.

Also, what does a players natural position have to do with anything??? Even in day to day NHL games there are many teams that will play 2 natural centre's on the same line. Both in PP, PK, and EV situations. You might want to take a look at the last 2 Olympic Teams. Canada carried more than 4 centres on both teams.

As for your team, I would also bet my first born that what you created your team by going to NHL.com and searched the stats for the highest scoring players from each position. That's why you missed Heatley. That's also why you put Whitney on the team over the likes of Andrew Brunette or Brendan Morrow. Both would be excellent 3rd or 4th line players on this team. You also have Shane Doan playing on his off wing and Moreau is a centre. Setogouchi??? Might make the team, but over some others you missed is a stretch.

As far as your defense, you put on Blake who might still be a solid player and Luke Shenn but you missed the likes of Dion Phaneuf, Wade Redder, Scott Neidermayer, Duncan Keith, Mike Green, Dennis Wideman and Jay Bouwmeester??? All of the d-men I mentioned would be most GM's choices over Shenn for certain and more than likely Blake as well. Souray is a stretch even though I would like to see him there too. You might also want to consider that the team will need a couple of shut down defensemen, the likes of Robyn Regehr.

And on your final point, might want to make sure you have all the players on your squad in their natural positions before you make challenges to others. And once you do that, I would love to build a team to stack against it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page