Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 NHL vs. NBA Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  08:00:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is the latter the sport of choice for Americans? I just got back from 2 weeks in Florida, and watching Sportscentre was almost painful!!!!

NFL gets top billing, as it should, and then we get 20 minutes of NBA highlights, and maybe followed by some Rangers highlights. Luckily, they showed scores on the ticker, but no love for this great game.

What gives? Americans, I look forward to your replies

Go Sens

Edited by - Novie on 12/13/2006 08:00:22

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  10:37:05  Reply with Quote
good point,americans have 24 nhl teams and they dont even give a s*** especilaly in the sunny states.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6166
( )

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  11:47:34  Reply with Quote
Why are you so worried about what Americans think? The citizens of the southern states love their Nascar, evangalists, shot guns and inbreeding. Do you really want hockey to belong to these people? Just be thankful that they don't want it. Hockey is growing in popularity in Europe and it will be healthy for a long time. It will never be popular where there it doesn't get cold enough for ice. Most Americans are too full of themselves to accept something that is not American. Hockey is not the American way! Considering that the use of tools is a mark of the advancement of man then you must consider ice hockey (skates and sticks) as one of the most advanced sport on the planet. That's right Americans keep bouncing your basketballs or running up and down a football field while other goons try to smash you. Keep your simple minds a buzzin'! U S A ! U S A !
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  13:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, hey, let's not stereotype. I'm an American but I love hockey more than any other sport. As for the US having more NHL teams than Canada, I have no idea. We've got more major cities maybe? I dunno ...maybe cuz we're the only superpower so we get to host all the major sports leagues in the world No, lol, I really don't know. And why we generally prefer the NBA? Probably cuz hockey is usually popular where it's cold, and unlike Canada, the US doesn't have a cold climate everywhere for most of the year. Hockey's big in Minnesota and the north, because it's COLD. In Florida, have people heard of ice?

But come on guys, don't make fun of please. We are not all full of ourselves and our national pride. I live here so I would know. I don't make fun of Canadians but I've heard more than enough people make fun of Americans, so let's not push it further, eh?

Edited by - Mikhailova on 12/13/2006 13:43:27
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  07:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have nothing against Americans, only the way they televise sports highlights while I am on my 2 weeks of vacation each winter!

Go Sens
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  10:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moved to trash talk.

Lets keep on topic, and not insult your fellow forum members homelands.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  10:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

Moved to trash talk.

Lets keep on topic, and not insult your fellow forum members homelands.

Forum was started as general chat...wasnt supposed to drop to trash talk

Go Sens
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  15:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Novie

I have nothing against Americans, only the way they televise sports highlights while I am on my 2 weeks of vacation each winter!

Oh OK thanks
I do wish we'd show more hockey though
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2006 :  20:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing that makes the nhl better than the nba is the players...these are hard working guys in the nhl......didn't iverson say he didn't need to practice? what kind of role model is that?

i remember patrick roy (in my opinion the best of them all) going to the morning skate before game 4 of the 96 finals.......that's work-ethic, and that is a true athlete.

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  12:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think of it this way, with out the Americans and thier 24 markets that can sustain a team (we will count Pittsburg for fun) what would the NHL be??? 6 teams!! No way it would be where it is today. It more than likely would not exist. If there were only 6 NHL teams most of the talent from Canada would be in Europe.

Sports are popular where they are played. Large urban centres in the US are mostly Football and Baseball. In Europe and South America, the biggest sport is Soccer (football if you are a purist). Here, it's hockey. It's harder for Americans to relate to hockey when there isn't a rink on every courner like most Cities in Canada. There is a basketball court on every courner in the States.

And there are good and bad players in every league. Iverson didn't say he didn't need to practice. He said that the media had made a big deal out of him missing practice. No different than Roenick leaving the arena to go for dinner when he was a healthy scratch. The media ate that up too.
Go to Top of Page

NAFFAEL
Top Prospect

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  13:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NHL in my opinin is head and shoulders above the NBA from an entertainment aspect. With basketball if you touch anybody there is a foul where as hockey as long as it is clean you can hit someone as hard as you please. A highlight in basketball is seeing somebody that is taller than the net slam a ball. How is that entertaining:? That is like seeing a breakaway in hockey where there is no goalie at the other end and the player on the breakaway takes a huge slapshot from the top of the crease. Also there is more flow in the NHL. You can see end to end action for 5 minutes without a stoppage in play. With basketball there can be a whistle every 20 seconds during the game and about every 2 seconds during the last 2 minutes. Nothing makes me more mad then turning the channel to TSN and seeing a basketball game.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  14:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, hockey's more fun than basketball...or any sport
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  19:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typical NHL player:
[img]http://www.hhweb.com/images/Joe_Sakic_With_Cup_jpg.jpg[/img]

Typical NBA player:
[img]http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20070112/bosh_78844.jpg[/img]

That explains it all
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this thread's kinda old but I just found this out: You know how Canadians hate the NBA? Guess who invented basketball - a guy named James A. Naismith...and he was from Canada! Kinda ironic, eh?
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  16:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, I just need to get it out...basketball is just flat out awful, lol.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  16:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

I know this thread's kinda old but I just found this out: You know how Canadians hate the NBA? Guess who invented basketball - a guy named James A. Naismith...and he was from Canada! Kinda ironic, eh?

Canadians dont hate the NBA, actually there are many of us who rather enjoy it. Sure, we prefer basketball at it's purest, but the NBA is an okay alternative. It just doesnt compare to hockey for entertainment value however...

There are still enough classy NBA players left to keep it respectable... hopefully that doesnt change.

Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  17:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Typical NHL player:
[img]http://www.hhweb.com/images/Joe_Sakic_With_Cup_jpg.jpg[/img]

Typical NBA player:
[img]http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20070112/bosh_78844.jpg[/img]

That explains it all

I love this one

I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy…
Go to Top of Page

The_only_Odelein_fan
Top Prospect

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  17:35:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Compare NBA to NHL is like compare a Tempo with a Mustang or a cute girl with a cow. It's not comparable. Hockey is the greatest sport in the world. Basketball is just a sport for guys who have a ball and notting to do. The NBA only exist to do someting when there is no hockey on tv.

Lyle Odelein is a god!

Edited by - The_only_Odelein_fan on 03/13/2007 17:58:35
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  17:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

Canadians dont hate the NBA, actually there are many of us who rather enjoy it.

Alright, well I just got the impression they did hate it from the fact that many Canadian members didn't seem to like it and their posts regarding it weren't ones of praise. But it's a big country...32 million people can't be represented by those on this forum.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page