Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 The truth about the recent trade for Phaneuf Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  14:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this article on the trade for Phaneuf, thought it was hilarious.

Flames for cup...eventually.

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  14:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/?p=10643

Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  14:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2216
( )

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  15:20:21  Reply with Quote
hey hockster...the flames will deeply regret the day they traded D.Phaneuf...with not much in return to boot...watched him last night and i must say he is the real deal, complete package. He WILL BE the next chris pronger,( i think even better ) this guy is only 24 years old, hard to imagine how great he can become. I think the leafs just picked up a great warrior for the next DECADE.
P.S....Two BRAIN-DEAD Mcabes doesn`t make 1/2 of a Phaneuf
Go to Top of Page

Guest0821
( )

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  20:36:25  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2216
P.S....Two BRAIN-DEAD Mcabes doesn`t make 1/2 of a Phaneuf

Yup you're right of course, as always. Your logic is impeccable.

At the moment 2 BD McCabes makes just a little more than 2 BD Phaneufs (or Phaneuves for the Frenchies).
Go to Top of Page

Guest4227
( )

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  03:43:19  Reply with Quote
It's amazing how much Dion improved his defensive play, puck moving, decision making in the last couple of days.

Just Leaf fans wishing and hoping. What a joke. Dion is a long long way from Chris Pronger.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  07:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
24 years old, former norris finalist and 1st team all star. Yea, what a bum.

It was a good trade for both teams, we'll see how things shake down in a couple of seasons. Chris Pronger didnt really come into his own until he was about 24-25 either, but people just prefer to pretend he was always the monster we know him as now.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

shellac
Top Prospect

30 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  09:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats bugging me is all the TO media saying that Calgary lost out on this deal.....Yes Phaneuf is a young talent with lots of upside.....however if you look at what he has done in Calgary over the last 5 years you will notice a decline in his play and especially a decline on his nightly impact on individual game momentum.

I am sorry, but Phaneuf was expendable at this juncture....With Jaybo, Regie, Sarich, and the emergence of Giordano as well as an under-acheiving offence, Calgary needed to do something.

Who we we supposed to trade? Jaybo? No way! that is the real future of this team. Regie? - no one appreciates what he does enough to get anything for him. Sarich? - again no one cares. Giordano? -hes playing better than Phaneuf at the moment and is hardly a cap hit. Phaneuf was truly the only option.

And to say we did not get enough for him? we traded off about 35 collective 09-10 points for over 100 collective 09-10 points, which is what the Flames needed....offence.

Oh! but I forgot Hagman and Stajan are "bums" because they could not get TO into the promised land. Well in Calgary we don't need them to get us there, we have a leadership core for that, we just nedd them to do what they do...provide offence!

Just my take!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else see the Calgary/Carolina game last night?? Or at least the highlights.

Collectively, the Flames masses watched the emergin Mark Giordano toss Joni Pitkanen junk over tea kettle into the Carolina bench, then they all looked at each other and said, "Dion Who??"

Here is the best thing about this:

2 weeks ago, not a TO fan in the world was talking about Dion Phaneuf as a Norris finalists, 1st team all stars, or future Chris Prongers. Furthermore, no Flames fans were throwing Phaneuf under the bus and saying how bad of a hockey player he is.

Contrary to popular belief, changing the logo on a players sweater does not make them better or worse than they were yesterday.

But, I did laugh heartly at this McCabe/Phaneuf comparison.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2219
( )

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:19:22  Reply with Quote
shellac...its not that people are saying that calgary was stupid in trading Phaneuf ( although i think they were ), do calgary fans realize the return they could have gotten for him ?
Calgary should have / could have gotten a player like Matt Duchene, Claude Girioux or similar asset for him. A young player with long term contributions for their team.
White is too small, pushed off the puck too easy, Stajan has some offense but he doesnt push back, no guts , hagman is above average skilled but again opposing defenseman push him off the puck too easy, again too small...wont even comment on mayers......Burke got rid of all these players because they are not winners...u will see in time
Go to Top of Page

Guest2872
( )

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  14:49:08  Reply with Quote
FUNNY

''GO SHARKS GO''
Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  15:09:47  Reply with Quote
woooooah Mccabe can skate actually, phaneuf future pronger made me laugh wow

Go Leafs Go

but such arrogance is jokes Burke is turning this team into a joke and going to screw us just like he did van and ana 6.5 for phaneuf? is just pure jokes
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  15:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol, to dead guys wouldn't make half a phanuef, I'm pretty sure 2 dead guys wouldn't make half of anybody... I think this is a good trade for both teams, Calgary has pretty good defence even without Phanuef, They needed scoring, and thats what Stajan and Hagman add, and the Leafs now have a young blue liner with a s***load of potential to build there team around.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  15:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep hearing people making comments regarding Brian Burke "ruining this team."

Ruining what team? The Leafs were ruined before Burke arrived in Toronto.

In all honesty, with the assets Burke had upon arriving, to where he is at now during his first season.. I like what Burke has done so far.

-- No, i'm not a Leaf fan. No where near it. Sens for life!

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  16:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe its cause he was suppose to bring in a sense of team defense and toughness. Until this trade his actions have done didly squat f-all.

Spent all summer talking about the Monster, to hand it all over to a real starter in Giguere, finally. I'll give it to Leafs fans you have taken alot of crap over how bad your goalies have been, I would have snapped.

His team had 20 some odd million in the offseason for him to build a winner and the core of the team had hoped for better things to come. Now there sitting near the bottom of the league pressed up against the cap and having traded away the majority of his offensive forward depth.

Threw away the future for Kessel, again, totally disagreed with the trade. Last one got me bothered but leaf fans seemed to be happy with it. I'll tell yah If Murray had made the same stupid trades, I'd be calling for Murrays head.

I'm gonna be honest the last few trades impressed and bothered me, because I dont want to see the Phanuef hit parade against my Ottawa team 8 times a year and Giguere when given the opportunity is scaring good.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  07:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Did anyone else see the Calgary/Carolina game last night?? Or at least the highlights.

Collectively, the Flames masses watched the emergin Mark Giordano toss Joni Pitkanen junk over tea kettle into the Carolina bench, then they all looked at each other and said, "Dion Who??"

Here is the best thing about this:

2 weeks ago, not a TO fan in the world was talking about Dion Phaneuf as a Norris finalists, 1st team all stars, or future Chris Prongers. Furthermore, no Flames fans were throwing Phaneuf under the bus and saying how bad of a hockey player he is.

Contrary to popular belief, changing the logo on a players sweater does not make them better or worse than they were yesterday.

But, I did laugh heartly at this McCabe/Phaneuf comparison.

Why would leaf fans be talking about phaneuf being a norris finalist and 2st team allstar from 2 years ago.... he was a flame, why would we be talking about something a player on another team did 2 years ago? Now that he is a leaf, why wouldnt we look at his previous accomplishments?

Also, TONS of flames fans were throwing Phaneuf under the bus, now over half the city is calling for sutters head. Check out some calgaryflames blogs, the reaction is probably 60/40 against the trading of phaneuf.

Heres one for you guys as well, since Dion Phaneuf came into the league no defenceman has more goals, pp goals or points.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  08:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Heres one for you guys as well, since Dion Phaneuf came into the league no defenceman has more goals, pp goals or points.

Matt, where'd you get this info? With the first guy i searched (Pronger), i already found someone with more points (in less games too)?

Phaneuf since 05/06 - 379 gp 228pts
Pronger since 05/06 - 355 gp 244pts

Edited by - Alex116 on 02/05/2010 08:27:17
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  10:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wierd, it was on tsn the other day. The panel mentioned that since he entered the league no d man had more points or goals...

hey, if im wrong then sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  14:46:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

wierd, it was on tsn the other day. The panel mentioned that since he entered the league no d man had more points or goals...

No worries, sounded a bit strange to me but not to say he's not up there in every category! I really like this trade for the Leafs and think Dion will mature there.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4550
( )

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  19:52:01  Reply with Quote
quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

TSN !!!!!

No wonder Leaf fans are totally lost... they learn from TSN !!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  20:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I heard something similar on TSN as well. However, it was not most points, it was most goals by a defensemen since the lock out.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2205
( )

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  11:01:30  Reply with Quote
on tsn they said thet phaneuf was number 1 in six offensive categories since he came into the league. they had them listed, not sure what they all were.
Go to Top of Page

andarchy
Top Prospect

19 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  10:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The flames didn't have a choice, they had to get Phaneuf out of the Calgary locker room. Rumour has it that he and Regehr are scrapping (remember a little while back when Dion had some rib issues? ya, well it was Robyn who did the damage). Phaneuf did something unspeakable and unacceptable to his teammate (which I will not bring up). I'm just amazed that it took them this long to move him.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  10:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andarchy

The flames didn't have a choice, they had to get Phaneuf out of the Calgary locker room. Rumour has it that he and Regehr are scrapping (remember a little while back when Dion had some rib issues? ya, well it was Robyn who did the damage). Phaneuf did something unspeakable and unacceptable to his teammate (which I will not bring up). I'm just amazed that it took them this long to move him.

I am surprised how long it took for this to come out. Really, can anyone remember the last time a big trade happened when one of the players was not accused of indiscretions most often involving a team mate's wife??

Joke, and I don't buy it at all.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  11:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, i've heard this numerous times here in Vancouver. Never know what to believe....
Go to Top of Page

andarchy
Top Prospect

19 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  12:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I am surprised how long it took for this to come out. Really, can anyone remember the last time a big trade happened when one of the players was not accused of indiscretions most often involving a team mate's wife??

True... there is usually some sort of behind the scenes story that sounds ridiculous. Maybe there's a reason for that. You can ask media and the players and they will always deny it. Would you want the world to know that you nailed your teammates wife, or think about how it affects the families of the players involved. It will always be covered up or deemed a rumor, for good reason. I heard it from one of Dion's best friends' girlfriend here in Calgary.

P.S. There's been craploads of big trades without accusations of wrongdoings, we just focus on the dirt because it's more exciting than 'deal done- moving on'.

Edited by - andarchy on 02/07/2010 12:33:03
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  13:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

True... there is usually some sort of behind the scenes story that sounds ridiculous. Maybe there's a reason for that. You can ask media and the players and they will always deny it. Would you want the world to know that you nailed your teammates wife, or think about how it affects the families of the players involved. It will always be covered up or deemed a rumor, for good reason. I heard it from one of Dion's best friends' girlfriend here in Calgary.

P.S. There's been craploads of big trades without accusations of wrongdoings, we just focus on the dirt because it's more exciting than 'deal done- moving on'.

For the same reason, why would this apparent link to Phaneuf say something damaging about "his best friend."

Just like Comrie diddling with Salo's wife which caused Salo to lose his ability and confidence and Comrie left town. I heard that from my sisters friends boyfriends cable guy who found Comrie in bed with her when he came by to fix the cable.

Then there was the Pronger getting the news lady pregnant which I heard from my brother-in law's uncles 2nd's wife's friend who was in a running club with Pronger's wife.

Again, I call bull. Don't and won't believe it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6009
( )

Posted - 02/07/2010 :  19:41:57  Reply with Quote
The rose coloured and blue glasses are riduculous

This trade was simple calgary lost a lot of games in a row and where in danger of missing playoffs. The leafs season was lost before it started. Leafs Traded assets they didnt need for one they coveted. Calgary traded a valuable asset in one area to get help in multiple areas

Calgary needed second line scoring(or any scoring) they had a glut of defenceman making a ton of money (no cap room to add offence). They had to trade one of the big three or five if you count ignlia or kiprusoff the others being Regher and bouwmeester. They would get nothing for kip nothing for regher wouldnt want to trade iggy, bouwmeester better than phanuef (my opinion and sutters. flames want chance to win cup now.)

Leafs suck they are going nowhere this year or next and need to get younger .
Stajan ( I like him ) is a second or possibly third liner on a good team and isnt a big loss (he is a free agent next year) does toronto need him this year nooooooooooooo Does he help calgary Yesssssssssss. Ps upgrade over conroy whos hurt and even if Conroy isnt hurt stajan is better.

Hagman good player streaky scorer hard worker steady both ends. Did well playing for bad team. Does Toronto need him (My opinion again no the leafs wont be competive for 3- 5 yrs he is 30?) Does calgary need him Hell yes 30 goal scorer.

Ian white is a good player, I liked him the first time I saw him (Underated) he replaces phaneufs ice time and is a very cabable d. but he's Not Phanuef or in his league. White will never make the all star team much less 1st team or ever be mentioned as a norris trophy candidate. I like bob mackenzie but his quote that calgary got the bets player cause they got white come on.

Any team will tell you they put players names on a chalkboard for various reason before a game about key players ie

kipper good goalie bad on rebounds
tough d in calgary watch regher dont let iggy beat you etc
I am postive no coach ever said in his pre game meeting watch out for ian white keep your head up Again Im pretty sure almost every coach/player mentioned keeping their head up when phanuef is on the ice.

the trade Helped both, calgary got secondary scoring and freed up cap space the Leafs got younger and a potential Norris trophy winner while giving up parts they dont require. And some they can resign next yr. Calgary has to go for it iggy kipper and regher arent getting younger. And as much as

some

delusional leaf fans think they need a few pieces to make the playoffs Their season is done. I want them to win the cup not one playoff series. Before some idiot jumps on me I dont think phaneuf will win them the cup next year He is a

START A piece of the puzzle and a slight ray of hope for a long suffering Fan
In my humble Opinion a great start. For the leaf fans when was torontos last 1st team all star.

Ps I cheer for the Leafs (It does not mean I cant criticize the leafs the opposite is true) But I like the Canadiens and hope Calgary wins the cup (beleive they are Canadas bests chance Sorry Van and Ottawa.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0238
( )

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  20:29:48  Reply with Quote
conroy's wife: http://flames.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=597&id=53857
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  10:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly from the way Phaneufs been playing I seriously believe that Ian White is a better player.

Phaneuf
3 points, 41 shots and no goals, minus 2 in 14 games.

White
6 points, 20 shots and no goals, but a PLUS 9 in 15 games.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  14:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

Honestly from the way Phaneufs been playing I seriously believe that Ian White is a better player.

Phaneuf

White

Pretty tough to compare the players when Phaneuf goes from a team would really should be a playoff team to a 2nd to last place team in the league.

In the same respect, one would think that Ian White would be doing better than he was in TO and he has stayed pretty much the same.

I do like Ian White as a player, but better than Phaneuf is a stretch. Although I am not a fan of Phaneuf, you still have to give credit where credit is due.

It's also difficult, I think more so for a defensemen, to learn new systems. Also, TO being out of the playoffs and making more adjustments to the line up can also have an impact.

That being said, I think this shows a little bit about how much the other Calgary defense propped up Phaneuf.

I think the real picture will be 40 games into next season. Let's see where Phaneuf is then.

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  16:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hockster

Phaneuf

White

Pretty tough to compare the players when Phaneuf goes from a team would really should be a playoff team to a 2nd to last place team in the league.

In the same respect, one would think that Ian White would be doing better than he was in TO and he has stayed pretty much the same.

I do like Ian White as a player, but better than Phaneuf is a stretch. Although I am not a fan of Phaneuf, you still have to give credit where credit is due.

It's also difficult, I think more so for a defensemen, to learn new systems. Also, TO being out of the playoffs and making more adjustments to the line up can also have an impact.

That being said, I think this shows a little bit about how much the other Calgary defense propped up Phaneuf.

I think the real picture will be 40 games into next season. Let's see where Phaneuf is then.

I still don't think that this trade can be judged 40 games into next season. It will, or at least should, take about two years to fully define the impact of the deal. Beans hit this one on the head though. White went from a bad team to a good team, and vice-versa for Phaneuf.

Just as a side note, I watced the Calagry game on TSN last night and Calgary's PP looked awful without Phaneuf. I love Ian White, but he does not possess Dion's shot from the blueline.

I think another Flames fan would be appreciated, but so far how does the team's PP look compared to the Dion days?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  20:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Calgary PP was no great shakes with Phaneuf either.

Bottom line with Phaneuf in Calgary is that with the signing of Bouwmeester and specifically the step up Giordano took this season, Phaneuf became expendable. In one fell swoop, Sutter maintained his D by picking up Ian White and solidified the front end with 2 legitimate top 6 forwards(al beit the lower end of the bottom 6).

Toronto get a physical defensemen and makes Kaberle a little more expendable, or solidified the TO back end.

Both teams got what they wanted. But I still don't see Phaneuf as a franchise defensemen.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  13:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both teams made a deal that made sense for them at the time, its been covered to death, I just want to add that I dont think fans from either team should claim a victory and a steal here. Toronto and Calgary both win this trade imo, Phaneuf brings a presence on the ice and in the locker room that was sorley lacking in toronto and while he may not be quite a franchise defenceman and his 6.5mil cap hit is high, he is still the best option that was available on the market for Burke.

While Calgary had JayBo and Giordano taking the 1-2 spots on the blue, Phaneuf became expendable. White is a solid player for their 3-4 hole and Hagman and Stajan can provide offence, which was sorley lacking.

Stajan was not going to be resigned at 3.5mil for 4 years in toronto and White is going to get a payday in the same neighbourhood (at least he will want one). The best part of Ian White was the fact that he was so cheap, once you have to pay him big money the bang for your buck drops significantly.

Nik Hagman has a great contract and has alot of skill, he can score 25-30 every year. He was someone I thought would be around for a few years, im glad Burke managed to get Sjostrom and Aullie in the deal as well. Our PK and farm system benefit greatly with those additions.

All in all, a good deal for both sides. We'll see how it shakes down as time goes on.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  14:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good reply Matt.

People tends to forget that we got Sjostrom and Aulie. I'm really impressed with Sjostrom so far, he's a good skater, great pk and he has good work ethic. As for Aulie we'll see next year, because he's injured, but he could be promising at 6 foot 6.

Also like you said Phaneuf brings a lot to the table, his presence on and off the ice shows to the other players. Schenn as found his game back, Beauchemin is playing better and I can see Komisarek stepping up next year.

Defensively we're a much better team with Phaneuf. Maybe he's not ripping the scoresheet, but who cares, he's a defenseman and he's doing his job right now.

Really good acquisition from Toronto and from Calgary.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0016
( )

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  20:18:59  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shellac

Whats bugging me is all the TO media saying that Calgary lost out on this deal.....Yes Phaneuf is a young talent with lots of upside.....however if you look at what he has done in Calgary over the last 5 years you will notice a decline in his play and especially a decline on his nightly impact on individual game momentum.

I am sorry, but Phaneuf was expendable at this juncture....With Jaybo, Regie, Sarich, and the emergence of Giordano as well as an under-acheiving offence, Calgary needed to do something.

Who we we supposed to trade? Jaybo? No way! that is the real future of this team. Regie? - no one appreciates what he does enough to get anything for him. Sarich? - again no one cares. Giordano? -hes playing better than Phaneuf at the moment and is hardly a cap hit. Phaneuf was truly the only option.

And to say we did not get enough for him? we traded off about 35 collective 09-10 points for over 100 collective 09-10 points, which is what the Flames needed....offence.

Oh! but I forgot Hagman and Stajan are "bums" because they could not get TO into the promised land. Well in Calgary we don't need them to get us there, we have a leadership core for that, we just nedd them to do what they do...provide offence!

Just my take!

How you feeling about this now? You hockey genius you..
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  05:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's true, there were a bunch of geniuses on this thread.

Shellac, how's the offence being supplemented in Calgary now?

Hagman: now plays for the Ducks . . . who picked him up on RE-ENTRY WAIVERS.
Stajan: 4 assists in 16 games this year, 6g 25a 31 pts last year

Phaneuf: 3g, 15a, 18 pts.
Aulie: just played first game this season, played 40 games last season with 2 goals, and continues to be a solid prospect who should be an effective shutdown d-man with size.

Like with most trades . . . an evaluation can only truly be done a year or two later.

We have found out now that both Stajan and Hagman are NOT legitimate top 6 forwards (from Beans); we have found out that Giordiano and Bouwmeester (both solid defencemen, don't get me wrong) do not equal the offense that Dion Phaneuf has, and that was perhaps not utilised properly in Calgary; and, most importantly, we have discovered that as Dion has gotten more and more comfortable in Toronto, he is really coming into his own in all aspects of the game, not just on the scoresheet. And he's the captain.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  08:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, I noticed that you didn't have anything to say about this trade when it happened Slozo, but with hindsight you can call people out.

Dion Phaneuf is 'coming into his own in all aspects of the game," is a bit of a stretch considering his killer +2 rating with those 18 pts. That's comparable to Sergei Gonchar, MA Bergeron, and Nick Leddy. I don't think anyone is saying any of those guys, "are coming into their own in all aspects of the game." Phaneuf is a solid offensive defensemen. To this point this year, one of the best. But let's not elude to Phanuef's game being all around quality when he still does not belong in a list with the likes of Lidstrom, Chara, or Weber. He is still not a top teir defensive player and still takes risks on making hits that turn into 2 on 1's against his team. He is what he is, a top teir offensive defensemen with a physical edge who plays a risky defensive game.

Specifically to calling me out on my top 6 forward comment. At the time of the trade both Hagman and Stajan were 20+ goal scorers. If they tailed off to be 4th line players today, so be it. I wouldn't argue that Calgary won this trade in any sense of the word. However, at the time it was what both teams wanted and calling those two guys top 6 forwards was reasonable. Obviously TO got what they wanted long term and Calgary did not.

I just find it cowardly to call people on their opinions 2 years later with the benefit of hindsight when you didn't have an opinion at the start. I don't know about anyone else, but I am certain I would not have to work too hard to look back and gather a number of examples of incorrect theories and assumptions showing your hockey genius as well.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  11:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ya, I noticed that you didn't have anything to say about this trade when it happened Slozo, but with hindsight you can call people out.

Dion Phaneuf is 'coming into his own in all aspects of the game," is a bit of a stretch considering his killer +2 rating with those 18 pts. That's comparable to Sergei Gonchar, MA Bergeron, and Nick Leddy. I don't think anyone is saying any of those guys, "are coming into their own in all aspects of the game." Phaneuf is a solid offensive defensemen. To this point this year, one of the best. But let's not elude to Phanuef's game being all around quality when he still does not belong in a list with the likes of Lidstrom, Chara, or Weber. He is still not a top teir defensive player and still takes risks on making hits that turn into 2 on 1's against his team. He is what he is, a top teir offensive defensemen with a physical edge who plays a risky defensive game.

Specifically to calling me out on my top 6 forward comment. At the time of the trade both Hagman and Stajan were 20+ goal scorers. If they tailed off to be 4th line players today, so be it. I wouldn't argue that Calgary won this trade in any sense of the word. However, at the time it was what both teams wanted and calling those two guys top 6 forwards was reasonable. Obviously TO got what they wanted long term and Calgary did not.

I just find it cowardly to call people on their opinions 2 years later with the benefit of hindsight when you didn't have an opinion at the start. I don't know about anyone else, but I am certain I would not have to work too hard to look back and gather a number of examples of incorrect theories and assumptions showing your hockey genius as well.

Go ahead Beans, look away. I won't defend wrong gueses, and I bet there will be more correct ones than incorrect. My body of work (and need I mention bets?) stands on its own, and as everyone else is (except for Gary Bettman), I am open to scrutiny.

I did notice I didn't make a comment here, yeah . . . I think I was on vacation when the Phaneuf trade happened and I probably just talked about it in other Phaneuf threads, which are many. I do know I made at least one post in the thread that informed of the trade itself, look under that thread, ok? Then you will see for yourself what true hockey genius is aaaaaallll about.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page