Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Trade talk Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  01:47:21  Reply with Quote
I know the olympics are winding down, so now its time to start talking about who will get traded where..............will Montreal trade a goalie, or who will be the surprise move? Detroit always fine tunes and I believe they need a goalie, thoughts anyone

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  07:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howard is a fine goalie for Detroit. They need healthy bodies to man the forward position. The only positive Detroit can take from having played soo many games, without there top offensive threats is all there Prospects, Rookie and Journeyman player have all had a few opportunities to show case themselves this year. Plus they are in the playoff hunt with all the bodies coming back from injury. They may add a piece or 2 but most likely depth forwards.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  12:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howard is a fine goalie if you want to make it to the playoffs, but not if you want to win. They need Osgood to find his form or fine a replacement. I wouldn't think many GM's would be too comfortable going with Jimmy Howard as their #1 into the playoffs.

Montreal has to make a call on who is the #1 and trade the other for whatever they can get. I think Halak's stock was rising all year and that if Slovakia wins a Medal on his shoulder it will be very hard for the new fella in Montreal to let him go. Really tough call.

Personally, I don't think many bigger names will move. I think there will be some sellers dropping some mid-level talent and some playoff contenders shoring up a couple of weak point.

I don't think we will see the firestorm we have in the past. Although, with most GM's having 2 weeks to do nothing but watch the Games and make phone calls, I would venture to say there are a number of deals already done and just waiting for the roster freeze to lift.

Quick and torrid early, little in the way of big names moving, and fizzle at the end.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  13:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No doubt, Howard is no Hasek, Roy or Brodeur, but after 40+ games he's proven he's got a better game than Osgood. Detroit is missing key players to trades, injuries and old age to make a serious run this year. Best they can hope for is a round or 2 of playoffs and a long break this offseason. I forsee no better result with a top 5 goalie. I could be wrong, but i doubt it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7309
( )

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  13:49:38  Reply with Quote
well we can all agree poni is gonna be gone
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  20:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, Olympics are over ...time to get back to business, the deadline is almost here!

"According to the Sun, one team has already offered the Leafs a second-round draft pick and a prospect for Ponikarovsky."

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/28/2010 20:36:32
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  22:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Edmonton Sun had a Full page spread on what speculated trades/players on the move. Here are the highlights:

ATL : Plenty of interest in Kubina, expect to see Colby Armstrong move, new action with Slava Kovlov asking for a trade but he has a no trade clause

ANA : Niedermayer and Koivu were both on the block, but now they are back in a playoff hunt so expect them to stay. Looking for a forward.

BOS : Looking for a Top 6 forward. Ryder is available. So is Thomas but a big asking price

BUF : Looking for a PP-QB interest in Kaberle and Corvo but do not want to trade anything from their roster. Just prospects and picks.

CAR : Whitney wants an extension, but Rutherford wants to move him. Also expect Ward and Corvo to be dealt.

CAL : Already involved in a big move, possibly add a defensemen and Sutter likes Colby Armstrong

CHI : Kicking tires for both Vokoun and Ellis.

COL : Corvo interest here as well. Looking to move Liles and Salei

CBJ : Torres, Modin, Jurcina, and Hejda are all on the market. Jackets looking for picks in return.

DAL : Stars don't look to be trading Turco, Ott is a UFA and is expecting $3+ million so expect a move.

DET: Up against the cap, not much can or will be done.

EDM : Getting calls about Smid but Oil are not looking to move him. Light interest in Souary

FLA : Fire Sale!! Gregory Campbell, Kamil Kreps, Cory Stillman, Olesz, Leopold are all on the market. Vokoun could also get a nice return.

LA : Lost out in the Kovalchuk sweepstakes, looking hard at Whitney

MIN : Looking for help down the middle. Could trade Belanger but Zidlicky (UFA this summer) will stay and resign.

MONT : Still looking for offensive forwards, but slim pickings. Halak is there, but the deal is going to have to be amazing.

NASH : Willing to move Ellis and Hamhuis.

NJ : Not much left after Kovalchuk. Would still like to get Scott Neidermayer for a swan song run at the Cup. Doubtful, but Corvo is an option here as well.

NYI : Goalies a plenty. Biron is the mover, but Roloson might be more attractive. Andy Sutton could move and Garth Snow doesn't expect much coming back.

NYR : Defensemen and a scoring winger are the wants. There is interest in Souray but it would mean the Oilers taking Redden in return.

OTT : Maybe a 6 or 7 defensemen. Ward is a possibility. Maybe Kubina but Murray is not looking to rock the boat too much.

PHI : Looked at Vokoun for a replacement for injured Emery but price was too high. Might still look to move Hartnell, but no trade clause may cause issues.

PHO : Not a lot of cash to spend, but a rental defenseman would be solid. Would be willing to move Mueller for an established forward.

PITT : Would love to get Whitney out of Carolina. Gonchar will be staying and resigning.

STL : Paul Kariya is a UFA and will not resign. Montreal is interested as is Vancouver.

TB : Looking for a puck moving defenseman and a winger to play with Lecavalier. Looking to move Meszaros.

TOR : Despite Burke's comments, Kaberle is available. Ponikarovsky will move. Pitt is interested

VAN : Maybe a #3 centre and not looking to give up any roster to get it.

WASH : Concerned about goaltending, throwing around Brian Pothier as part of a deal for Vokoun or Thomas.

Could be an interesting few days starting tomorrow.

Here is another thought, did anyone else see how solid Forsberg looked when he played with the Sedin's?? Wonder if VAN would be interested in another Swedish risk a la Sundin??

Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  23:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really hope Carolina doesn't move Ward, I think that would be a major bad decision.

I expect a big shake up in Oil town.

With the economy in the state it is in most owners are wary on moving big salaries, with little knowledge of what is expected to happen with the market in the next couples years.

Probably 4-5 higher end deals will be done I figure, no superstars but legit names being moved. The blockbuster is already over with Kovalchuk being moved, and Phaneuf not far behind.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4728
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  00:03:57  Reply with Quote
Aaron Ward not Cam Ward I am assuming
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  05:02:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Toronto's end, I agree that Ponikarovsky should be gone before the trade deadline . . . Burke has seen enough of him to have the same opinion as I and many others do:

Good talent, solid second liner with size . . . too bad he doesn't use it.

In some ways its too bad, as he was a guy who stayed in TO year round, was a solid enough player, and was well-liked. He'll be missed, but not for too long.

It would be a reach to think he gets a first rounder, but I am sure Burke will try his best! Probably a second round pick, or a young prospect and a lower pick comes back.

About Kaberle - Burke has never said he is off the table, so not sure what you are referring to when you say "despite what he has said". He has just been matter of fact that the only way Kaberle leaves is if he gets his socks knocked off . . . and it's doubtful that happens, so I really don't see him moving.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As reported by nhl.com the pens have added Leopold for a 2nd round draft pick. Seems like both teams get what theyre looking for in this deal dont see a real winner.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Vokoun goes to Wash (rumour I saw floating was Thedore, Pothier and a prospect or two), then they are the odds-on favourite to win the East, if not the cup. Washington with actual goaltending is a scary thought for the league.

Don't look to Montreal to make a goalie decision this time around. I realize contracts are coming up, but there is no way MTL is parting with either goalie unless the return is amazing, and I'm pretty sure there would only be interest in Halak anyways. Since hes the better of the two right now, look for the habs to stay away unless the return is too good to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

If Vokoun goes to Wash (rumour I saw floating was Thedore, Pothier and a prospect or two), then they are the odds-on favourite to win the East, if not the cup. Washington with actual goaltending is a scary thought for the league.

Don't look to Montreal to make a goalie decision this time around. I realize contracts are coming up, but there is no way MTL is parting with either goalie unless the return is amazing, and I'm pretty sure there would only be interest in Halak anyways. Since hes the better of the two right now, look for the habs to stay away unless the return is too good to be true.

Agreed about Washington, although Pothier is one of the best defensive D-Man. They might need another move to shore up the back end. But, Vokoun in the pipes would mean the East is the Cap's to lose.

Halak and Price are both RFA's at the end of the year. I also agree they should keep both, but how do you find the money for both and how to you ensure that both resign?? Might be an opportunity for a team to throw down an offer sheet. #1 goalies don't grow on trees. For both these guys I think it's more than money. Neither wants to be a back up to the other.

I think Montreal should keep both, but I just don't think they can. They may not trade one of them but I would bet they don't go into training camp next year with both.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Howard is a fine goalie if you want to make it to the playoffs, but not if you want to win. They need Osgood to find his form or fine a replacement. I wouldn't think many GM's would be too comfortable going with Jimmy Howard as their #1 into the playoffs.

Montreal has to make a call on who is the #1 and trade the other for whatever they can get. I think Halak's stock was rising all year and that if Slovakia wins a Medal on his shoulder it will be very hard for the new fella in Montreal to let him go. Really tough call.

Personally, I don't think many bigger names will move. I think there will be some sellers dropping some mid-level talent and some playoff contenders shoring up a couple of weak point.

I don't think we will see the firestorm we have in the past. Although, with most GM's having 2 weeks to do nothing but watch the Games and make phone calls, I would venture to say there are a number of deals already done and just waiting for the roster freeze to lift.

Quick and torrid early, little in the way of big names moving, and fizzle at the end.

see everyone is saying tha habs have to make a decision on either Price or Halak why? explain to me why the habs have to chose,,,, Beans you re the first one to say goalies are worth nothing at the deadline unless a playoff contenders starting goalie goes down with a season ending injury every playoff team has there goalie generally,, and you are right,,, think back the last time the habs traded away a goalie at the deadline what di we get?? a 2nd round pick,,, i'd rather have 2 goalies with the potential to be a game changer for another year neither price or Halak are UFA's at the end of this season, even if they both go to arbitration neither will get more than 1.5 million so why not have to starting Goalies for 3 million for another year and take the time to make the right choice? its not like we're gonna trade Halak or Price for a player who will turn the Habs into a cup contender

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest9951
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  18:49:13  Reply with Quote
Why would washington need a goalie? theodore is having a decent year, and valrlamov is set to come back and was having a great season before he went down
Go to Top of Page

Guest2211
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  19:02:05  Reply with Quote
didnt valrlamov give up 6-7 goals in game 7 last year againist Pittsburg ? thedore isnt a cup goalie...get u through 1 or 2 rounds maybe...wash. is another phillie, neither will win the cup until they get a better goalie. phillies net woes go back as far as lindros, leclair days. Just cant go all the way without great goaltending !!
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  19:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wash needs a goalie because Varlamov is still unproven. If he had a full season under his belt going into playoffs year 2, then maybe he'd be ready. After an injury-plagued season, definitely not. Wash has absolutely no faith in Theodore, evidenced by Neuvirth playing alot more than his fair share during Varlamov's absence.

Vokoun and shipping theodore would plug their one massive leak. If Vokoun was their goalie last year, they beat Pittsburgh and who knows what happens. They can't take that risk again, and since they are so deep in prospects they can afford to gamble a bit.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  21:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also believe that Montreal will not be heading in to next year with both Price & Halak re-signed, playing for their franchise.

Since you mentioned it Pasty, I'll address it to you as to why I feel they will not.

First off, both are due to become RFA. So we know Montreal get the final say, to keep or let go. But remember Pasty, other teams will have the chance (if Montreal waits too long,) to negotiate contract offers with these guys. It will then be up to Montreal to match that offer or not. So who is to say, a team does not offer Halak $3.5 Million per. Then they have Price to re-sign as well, if wanting to keep both? I'm sorry, but I don't see both making only $1.5 million.

Secondly, and I believe most importantly at this point. Neither player wants to be a backup to the other! They have both made if very clear. Montreal may wish to keep both, if some how they can afford it (i'm doubting it), but why have two good, young goaltenders, upset? Perhaps it would challenge both to play their best, competing for the top spot... but it's also going to create controvsery. Something Montreal (No NHL team) needs. It will get to a point where one of them, will say enough is enough. If they have already gave fair warning. Another season won't be doable as 1A-1B.

Halak has said publicly... he wants OUT or to be the sole #1. Price feels the same, there's no doubt. Both are too young, it's not like having a 21 year old starter, with a capable, but 38 year old backup.

Third, why would Montreal just let one walk away? I believe strongly it's in their best interest to make a decision, and move one out soon. Why get nothing in return? As mentioned above, both have pretty much given Montreal a decision to make. One or the other. Montreal has the final choice it would seem, but they do not want an upset locker room either.

Irvine/prez.

Edited by - irvine on 03/01/2010 21:42:37
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  00:45:47  Reply with Quote
Halak has easily proven that he should be the #1 goalie in Montreal with his Olympic performance, whereas Price has done little more than lose game after game. Maybe he will be a good goalie someday, but why risk putting your faith in him when (aside from his impressive pedigree) he has yet to prove himself. The only way i can see halak shipping out is if Montreal gets a proven seasoned goalie (turco) and a draft pick. if it were up to me price would be shipped off while he still has at least a little trade value, and Halak would be locked up for four years.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  06:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if someone sends Halak an offer sheet for 3.5 million im not positive i think that means if the habs don't match they get that teams 1rst and second rond pick (someone correct me if im wrong) but i think that is more than you will get at the trade deadline no? I'm just saying as a GM i can;t trade Halak he has been playing to well and is to important to my team, then i ask myself am i ready to give up on a 5th overall pick who has shown a tone of promise at the NHL level and is only 21 ,, espcially when a goalie only comes into his own 24 to 26 ish.... AS Gm as the Canadiens i would get them both under contract for the next year unless they get offer sheets they will not get over 1.5 million and if they get a offer sheet i'll take the first round pick, i'd let price know he is my back up untill he proves to me he is better than Halak , that might actually wake Price up the knock on price is his work ethic well why would he work hard he was given the number one job ,, Price played his best when he was fighting the job away from Huet, i want controversy because the kind of player i want on my team thrives on the pressure to perform,,,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  06:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point, Pasty . . . the offer sheet thing makes me start to think Montreal won't trade Halak, and that they try to keep both. But if Halak wants out - he'll get out eventually, so they may want to try and get him at maximum value.

And, it IS Montreal . . . if they can trade Roy, they can certainly trade Halak. And if they actually do get an offer like Jeff Carter (I think that one may be off the table now, not sure), they would be hard pressed to resist it.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  07:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Good point, Pasty . . . the offer sheet thing makes me start to think Montreal won't trade Halak, and that they try to keep both. But if Halak wants out - he'll get out eventually, so they may want to try and get him at maximum value.

And, it IS Montreal . . . if they can trade Roy, they can certainly trade Halak. And if they actually do get an offer like Jeff Carter (I think that one may be off the table now, not sure), they would be hard pressed to resist it.

oh of course,, you dangle a big player like that i'll trade him in a heart beat,, the thing is the habs cant trade halak for a push this year it has to be longterm,, Halak is not worth enough to make the habs a cup contenteder this year,,, i'd take Carter though in a second great player reasonable contract,, Cammalleri Carter Pouliot would make a pretty nice first line,,,, i'd hand off the Kostitsyn's and Halak easily for Jeff Carter and say a 3rd rounder? im a habs fan so do you see that as fair or to bias??

Pasty

Edited by - Pasty7 on 03/02/2010 07:50:40
Go to Top of Page

Guest2211
( )

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  07:50:35  Reply with Quote
if montreal trades away Halak, theres not a snowballs chance in hell they make the playoffs this year, and they know it. Thats why he is still there. They know Price will be good someday so i guess they are between a rock and a hard place !!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  07:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2211

if montreal trades away Halak, theres not a snowballs chance in hell they make the playoffs this year, and they know it. Thats why he is still there. They know Price will be good someday so i guess they are between a rock and a hard place !!

this is true

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  08:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pasty, i don't think that trade you suggest is biased at all. The Kostitsyn's have talent and could still develop nicely. That'd be a fair deal as far as i'm concerned.

Here's a question for you and other Hab fans. IF they did trade Halak and Price continued to struggle and was eventually deemed a flop, what have they got in their system behind him? I know they always seem to have good goaltending prospects but is there one in the minors who's got a shot in the next 3 years to make the club and possibly challenge for top dog????
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  08:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hockey News Future Watch issue is out this week, i just got mine in the mail today.

Among the Habs top 10 prospects, they only have 1 goaltender listed.

9. Cedrick Desjardins
24 years old, Hamilton (AHL)
19-6-2, 1.84gaa, .929%
Neither the best teechnically, nor the biggest. All he does is win at every level.

2008 free agent
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  08:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flyers aren't trading Carter, pretty much for anything. Maybe during the worst of his dry spell but not now.

Although they are in the market for a goalie now that Emery is pretty much done for this season. I'm thinking they make a play for Roloson, and to a lesser extent Turco. Logically, the Flyers are a little too good to go with Leighton and no proven veteran to at least back him up.

Also, who's going to go for Whitney? I can't think of many contenders who aren't fairly satisfied with their forwards, but this guy still has plenty left in the tank, and would fit in well on a strong team. I would have said New Jersey, but it seems they have made their move already. I'd personally like to see Ottawa make a play for him as long as the price isn't too steep.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  09:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would see Whitney fit well in LA or Phoenix.

Also I believe the Habs will trade Price and keep Halak. And Price could go in a blockbuster deal bringing Lecavalier to Mtl.

It's just my guess.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if Montreal trades Price or Halak, it's gonna be a big deal alright, as both are considered goalies who can start for most teams. We'll see though, it only really become pressure when you are the only good option, then we see what Price and Halak are made of.

There has never been a better time for Montreal to get Lecavalier though . . . his value has continually gone down, but he'd still be a #1 star in Quebec. But does TB need goaltending? I don't see it really . . .

If Whitney is the biggest name moved at the deadline, it'll be a boring one indeed . . . but there's always that one big surprise name that gets dealt.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2858
( )

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:08:51  Reply with Quote
What about these rumors
PIT-CBJ

To Pittsburgh
Jakub Voracek
Rights to Nikita Filatov

To Columbus
Jordan Staal
3rd Round pick

SJ-TOR

To Toronto
Ryane Clowe
Kent Huskins
3rd Round Pick

To San Jose
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Francois Beachimean
Wayne Primeau

TOR-OTT

To Toronto
Jonathan Cheechoo

To Ottawa
Jeff Finger

''GO SHARKS GO''
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leaf fans, what's the deal with Ponikarovsky? I heard today on the radio that if Burke and Gillis could get along for five mins, there could be a trade in the works? I've never really paid all that much attention to him but he is a 20+ goal scorer and he's a pretty big dude? So, tell me, just in case he ends up here, is he another guy who only shows up every 3rd game? Or is there potential there??
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheechoo is only slightly worth more than a corpse on the ice, and is signed for 1 more year? Finger is signed for 2, and there salaries are basically a wash. So salary dump 3.5 mill off the books? I'm sure Toronto would be ok with that.

Finger is one of the worst contracts JFJ ever made, and since Ottawa just nabbed Sutton I say that rumour has less than a 1% chance of happening.

I also don't think San Jose parts with Clowe unless they get alot more back than the crappy package that was listed.

Also I doubt Pitt is likely to part with Staal unless it is a significant upgrade right away. They are thinking cup defense more and future prospects less.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't realize Sutton got traded already. There was talk here about the Canucks having some interest in him as they're now very worried that Mitchell may be done for the season with concussion issues?

Won't be surprised to see them add a dman like him?

Even better than Sutton, but likely at a higher price tag has them interested in Dan Hamhuis in Nashville? Guess we'll know within approx 24 hours?
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow....

Jordan Staal isnt going anywhere right now. The pens need him if they plan on repeating.

Cheechoo could have been had for free on waivers already, the guy is next to finished.

Beauchemin will not be traded, burke just signed him. Ponikarovsky WILL be traded, burke is just holding out to try and get more for him.

Ill be shocked if Jeff Finger gets traded, that contract is such an albatross for a 6th-7th d man.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

Finger is one of the worst contracts JFJ ever made,

Finger was signed by Cliff Fletcher

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  15:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex 116 - in regards to Ponikarovsky:

He is a big solid lad with pretty good hands, and he will show you flashes of brilliance with the right players. On the Leafs, he has shown that on the first line he can get you 20 goals and 60 points, but he probably belongs on the second line where he can give you a consistent 50 points.

He's got no problem with attitude really, but the issue with him is that he doesn't use his big size (6-4, over 220) in the corners, or often go hard to the net. When he does these things, he looks like an awesome power forward with great hands - but it's rare.

Burke will not keep around a big guy who doesn't hit or go hard in the corners, so he is gone as soon as he can move him.

He'd fit in well on a team's second line playing with at least one hard-nosed guy and a talented scorer. A deep, contending team would benefit greatly from him in my mind.

Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  18:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Ponikarovsky is likely on his way to Pittsburgh, for prospect Luca Caputi.

I still have my hockey news in front of me, so heres what they have on Caputi...

Luca Caputi, LW, 21 years old
6'3", 200 pounds
41gp 18-16-34pts 47 pim (Wilkes-Barrie, AHL)
Drafted 11th overalll, 2007

Caputi's biggest challenge is to make himself stronger and he's made progress since last season, when he got an eye-opening initiation to the NHL.

"When I was 192 pounds going to the corner with Mike Komisarek, it was like, "This guy's going to throw me through the boards," Caputi said.

That experience prompted him to add 10 pounds of bulk during the off-season. Now he might land in front of the net on the Pens' power play some day. He was leading Wilkes-Barrie in power play goals this season.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  18:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex Ponikarvosky to Pittsburgh for Luca Caputi & Martin Skoula.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  19:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Finger was signed by Cliff Fletcher

Touche- it was Fletcher, that was a giant fail by me. I guess I just normally assume every terrible leaf contract was done by the Italian mobster. My other comments about the contract stand, though.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  22:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Montreal trades D'Agostini to St. Louis for Aaron Pajushaj. I see this something like the Pouliot for Latendresse trade.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  07:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quiet morning so far, hopefully it picks up, i'm sure it will.

I just seen where Dreger tweeted that Sheldon Souray is changed his stance, and is now willing to accept a trade to all 19 American based team, but won't for the 6 Canadian teams! God i hope the Rangers don't trade for this guy as has been speculated!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page