Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Trade talk Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  11:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Raffi Torres went as expected . . . not sure if anyone thought he was going to Buffalo though.

Washington has picked up Milan Jurcina (see: great Olympics for Slovakia) and F Eric Belanger and Scott Walker . . . nice additions to bolster them for the playoff run. Pittsburgh has kept pace by getting Poni, who is probably now the best winger in Pittsburgh, funny enough. Bruins got deeper at D. I can't see Skoula making any kind of difference for NJ, but who knows.

Nothing from Montreal yet, is there more to come from TB? And what does everyone thing about Phoenix picking up Wolski . . . a nice young F to help out their offence, who knows they might even make some noise come playoffs?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  12:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice for Coyotes fans that their club was finally a buyer for a change this season. They brought in 4 roster players today...Wojtek Wolski, Derek Morris, Mathieu Schneider, Lee Stempniak. They also just added Alex Picard from CBJ.

Edited by - ryan93 on 03/03/2010 12:56:44
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  12:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan Whitney to Edmonton, Lubomir Visnovsky to Anaheim. I like this move for the Ducks.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  12:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Milan Jurcina part of the deal that orginally sent him and Clarke from Washington to CJB for Chimera??

Wonder what that is all about??

Not a really spectacular Day.

Here's something interesting. Pogge gets traded from TO to ANA in the preseason for a conditional draft pick in 2011. Today, Pogge and a 4th round pick for Aaron Ward. Interesting how the value of a player is different based on the time of year and the teams involved.

I like Phoenix's moves. LA made a couple of shuffles as well. Both I think are hoping to make some noise in the playoffs.

I heard something on the radio about Cogliano but nothing has been posted on TSN as of yet.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  12:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were quite a few trades today, i haven't seen the up to date number but i think it'll be about on par with years past...but there is no doubt it's been a slow day in terms of the quality of the players involved.

There were no Brad Richards or Marian Hossa's on the move today, nor were there really any bigger names expected to move today. But i was a little disappointed that some guys like Tomas Kaberle, Ray Whitney, Dwayne Roloson, Pavol Demitra, Paul Kariya, etc. weren't moved.
There were some big moves prior to the Olympic break though...Ilya Kovalchuk, Dion Phaneuf, Olli Jokinen, JS Giguere, Matt Cullen...that need to be taken into consideration.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  12:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And yes, Jurcina was part of that Clarke/Chimera deal.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  15:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan Whitney and a 6th round pick for Visnovsky is about the biggest deal. I liked Visnovksy but I get the financials of it. Plus, Whitney is younger.

I was surprised to see Staios' salary able to be dumped and to Calgary no less! There was also rumors of Pisani to the Sharks for 3rd line depth but that obviously didn't materialize.

Would have been nice to see Moreau go as well. Not because I dislike him, but it's time for a change and he is a salary for next year the Oilers could do without. Souray, once healthy in the summer, will be moved as well. Maybe a draft day deal??

I think Washington did some stuff to solidy some positions and didn't have to see the farm to do it. I think Phoenix made some moves that say they are looking to make a move deeper than the 1st round.

Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  15:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would Calgary take Toskala? he's a pretty expensive for a mediocore backup goaltender. I would call Pheonix the big winner today

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  15:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toskela is a UFA after this season though, so if the Flames had the cap space still available & there were no more moves on the table, then why not.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2247
( )

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  15:55:54  Reply with Quote
dont know what fletcher was thinking on the Finger signing.....must have been a lot of bad input from TO`s scouting department, enough said there. Only 2 players TO drafted in the last 30 years are W.Clark and T.Kaberle...UNREAL. Still Fletcher did bring a lot of good players to the Leafs over the years, he built the 1993 and 1994 teams, plus he got sundin and brought in Pat Burns...best leaf coach last 30 years.
Go to Top of Page

Hugh G. Rection
Rookie

165 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:07:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm quite shocked that neither Philly or Washington dealt for goalies. The asking price was probably too high. Now both are going to rely on unproven goalies heading into the playoffs. Glad I was out all day, watching the coverage must have been hilariously boring.

How excited can you get when Wolski and Viznovsky are the biggest names traded on the day? For anyone that watched, did tumbleweeds actually start rolling behind the announcers? Probably the worst trade deadline I can remember. The week before the Olympics was 10x more exciting in comparison.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might as well put Chicago on the list of teams that were expected to upgrade at goalie but didn't.

I was also surprised by a relatively quite day from Montreal. I also expected San Jose to grab a forward or 2 to shore up the bottom of the line up.

Although he's not normally spoke of, Visnovsky is still #1 or #2 defensemen on pretty much every team in the NHL. More than anything, it was a bit of shock that he would move as his name was not thrown around much.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  18:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One deal that did not surprise me the slightest, was Ponikarovsky to Pittsburgh. I have posted the trade numerous times, on different places of this trade. (Minus Caputi & Skoula) I did not know the return, I kind of figured a 2nd round pick or a 4th Rounder + young player.

I believe he'll be a solid fit on Pittsburgh's 1st/2nd line, playing the Wing (Left). He's a big body at 6'4, 220. He will best serve in front of the net, using his size to put away rebounds left by the Kid or Geno. Providing, he plays using his size. Something he has lacked a little.

As for other deals,

some good depth moves. Washington added some grit to the lineup. Which, come playoff time, helps. They guys they acquired should help their PK also.

Coyotes... they did pretty decent. They added a couple of defensemen who aren't exactly at the top of their game, can still contribute in the playoffs. The Yotes are looking to make a bit of a splash in the post season, and this may help them. Stanley cup? No. 2nd round playoff berth? Perhaps. Wolski should be a good fit. I like Wolski's scoring touch and play, even though I think Mueller could be a stud in the NHL in a couple of years time.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  19:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was surprised too that no goalies were dealt. I wasn't really expecting Tomas Vokoun to go, but i thought for sure that Dwayne Roloson would go, and i had a feeling he was going to end up in Philadelphia.

I'm glad the Rangers didn't go trade away draft picks & either prospects or young roster players to bring in players like Sheldon Souray & Pavol Demtira as had been rumored. As much as i like to believe they have a chance, the Rangers just aren't contenders this season. They do have a bright future though with young roster players like Staal, Del Zotto, Girardi & Gilroy on defense, and Dubinsky, Callahan & Anisimov up front, as well as Lundqvist signed long term...and some solid prospets in Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider, Evgeny Grachev, Bobby Sanguinetti, Ryan McDonagh, etc. I'm glad all the above pieces are still there tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  19:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard in the end it was the "busiest" trade deadline day" in history? Most players moved, but not the big names most have come to expect i suppose? We do have to consider the Kovalchuk and Phaneuf deals in the lead up to the Olympics. Imagine those going down today and it would be considered a HUGE day by most!

Never heard anything about Demitra being offered up aside from a few local fans calling the radio stations and saying "lets get rid of him while his stock is high, maybe the Rangers will want him to play with Gaborik"??? Was there actually a report the Rangers inquired about him or that the Canucks phoned them to see if they were in fact interested???

The Visnovsky deal is interesting. I like Whitney and i know he's cheaper and they got rid of salary, but Visnovsky is underrated in my opinion. As someone mentioned, he's arguably a top dman on many NHL teams!

I notice the media really liking what Washington did, but i'm not about to plan a trip to Vegas to wager big on them seeing as they didn't improve in net. Imagine, and i don't know what they'd have to offer up, if they'd have picked up a guy like Vokoun? Don't know their situation as far as draft picks and prospects go, but they're so close, i'm shocked they didn't get themselves some goaltending help? Not saying Jose and Varlamov "can't" do it, but imagine them with a bonafide stud in the net??

Chicago, i don't have a hate on for Huet like most do. With their talent on D and a pretty potent offense, i think they can make some serious noise with the guys they have!

Philly? Well, after looking at the 7-4 scoreline in tonights game vs Florida of all teams, i'm sure their management is wishing the deadline was tomorrow, not today??? How they didn't upgrade in net is beyond me???

I like what Phoenix did and i guess now we have our answer about the Price/Halak dilemma in Montreal, it'll continue for now. I still think they're in tough to make the post season at this point?

Bring on the stretch drive......
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  20:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It read a couple of reports out of NY via the Rangers board that they may be targeting Demtira, but Larry Brookes posted on his twitter today "Can tell you that as of last night Rangers had not inquired about Souray or Demitra".
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  21:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF Washington managed to get Tomas Vokoun, I'd say today they are the next Stanley Cup Champs. But, they didn't. :)

I understand Florida has decided to go in to a rebuild mode. But, moving Vokoun? He's a solid #1 netminder in the NHL. I understand a rebuild, but acquire a young net minder to develop, and keep Vokoun for a while. He's one of your best players!

I believe that Roloson didn't move, primarily because Mr. I-make-a-killing-while-never-playing is injured, yet again. (DiPeitro) Thus, back in the situation they were.

One more question, as I have been wondering for a while now... Alex116, why do you always question ALL of your own paragraphs/opinions? You always make a statement, then turn it in to a question like you are asking for our approval on your opinion. Just curious man, no need to question yourself. ;p

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  21:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

One more question, as I have been wondering for a while now... Alex116, why do you always question ALL of your own paragraphs/opinions? You always make a statement, then turn it in to a question like you are asking for our approval on your opinion. Just curious man, no need to question yourself. ;p

Irvine/prez.

Irv, no offense taken, but reading over my last post (not gonna go read'em all), do you mean when i end my sentences with a question mark??? If that is what you mean, i mean it more as this is my opinion, what is yours? (to the group). Trust me, it's got nothing to do with looking for anyones "approval", for the most part, i could care less what anyone thinks of my opinion on a hockey forum!
BTW, If that's not what you meant, please do explain! You've piqued my curiousity now
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  22:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The big "deals" for me:

Ponikarovsky and Leopold to Pittsburgh
Great, great deals for the Pens as they strengthen once again for the stretch run. Ponikarovsky is up there with Torres and Visnovsky as one of the biggest names to be dealt, and should fit in nicely and possibly give Malkin an option finally! Leopold gives depth on D.

Corvo and Jurcina and Belanger and Walker to Washington
Keeping pace with the Pens, and nicely - Jurcina is the big piece for me, as he is a big strong d-man who seems to be coming into his own as evidenced by the Olympics, and he has played big minutes in the past. Corvo is another somewhat offensive d-man, and the others provide offensive depth at forward (like they need it!). Looking good, as long as the defence all fit together when someone loses ice time . . .

Montreal does nothing and holds onto both goalies
Probably the smart move, as this was discussed at length here. Stand pat, figure out by the end of the season who is the man, then maybe sign and trade or something like that.

Phoenix - Wolski, Morris, Schneider
What a pleasant surprise, and I have to say, a solid steal in Wolski. Morris will fit in seamlessly, and Schneider is a cheap gamble - but on the pp, he can still be effective maybe. They needed offense, and Wolski should help them, along with the D depth. Will be a very tough out in the playoffs if Bryzgalov is playing great.

Edmonton and Calgary made a deal!!!
Johnson for Staios isn't a blockbuster, but still . . . it's a step in the right direction. Let's be friends!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  22:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I forgot - Philly, once again, did not get a real goalie.
Forgotten, because we expect it!

Someone there needs to learn from history . . .

Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  19:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Irvine/prez.

Irv, no offense taken, but reading over my last post (not gonna go read'em all), do you mean when i end my sentences with a question mark??? If that is what you mean, i mean it more as this is my opinion, what is yours? (to the group). Trust me, it's got nothing to do with looking for anyones "approval", for the most part, i could care less what anyone thinks of my opinion on a hockey forum!
BTW, If that's not what you meant, please do explain! You've piqued my curiousity now

That is what I meant. Every post I have ever read from you, contains a question mark after every statement. I just looked at it like you were asking if your opinion as correct. I was just curious. :) Nothing personal, i'm not trying to be an 'ass'. I was just curious. :)

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Phevos
Top Prospect

3 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  20:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh G. Rection

I'm quite shocked that neither Philly or Washington dealt for goalies. The asking price was probably too high. Now both are going to rely on unproven goalies heading into the playoffs. Glad I was out all day, watching the coverage must have been hilariously boring.

How excited can you get when Wolski and Viznovsky are the biggest names traded on the day? For anyone that watched, did tumbleweeds actually start rolling behind the announcers? Probably the worst trade deadline I can remember. The week before the Olympics was 10x more exciting in comparison.

I was at work most of the time and I get text messages from TSN for EVERY trade. I got excited every time at first, but after reading it, my reaction was "who are these guys?"

Although to be fair, all the big names moved before the olypmpic roster freeze: Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, JS Giguere, Jokinen come to mind. I think GMs knew that the 2-3 days between the olympics and deadline would be too tight to get those big trades done and got them out of the way first. Just seems like a long time ago since we had the olympics.

If there were no olympics, then those big trades would've been around the trade deadline and we wouldn't be here complaining about being bored. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  22:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irv, no worries, i never took it personally as any sort of attack or criticism. What it boils down to i suppose, is a bad punctuational habit of mine.

Not sure "punctuational" is actually a word, but whatever, i'm sure you get what i meant.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else catch the pregame yesterday before the Leafs/Bruins game?? The panel was ripping on Burke pretty hard, specifically about the Kessel deal.

Basically, without going into every detail, the panel all agreed that although Kessel is a very good player, he is not worth a #2 draft pick. Furthermore, there are also a 1st and 2nd round pick in next years draft.

I find is interesting because just 5 months ago the same panel was talking about how great the Kessel deal was.

TO, like it or not, is in trouble without a really nice free agent summer. Few if any draft picks are coming. Typical Burke GM style. Build quick at whatever cost and leave nothing for the future.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well for the trade deadline, like most of you said it was pretty boring. I think Phoenix, Pittsburgh were the winners. Washington made some nice moves but should have got a goaltender, like Roloson. I was really shock NYI didn't trade Roloson because his value must have been high with three contenders looking for a goalie (Chicago, Washington and Philly)

As for Edmonton I was surprise for them to trade Grebeshkov and Visnovsky and learning that Sourray is out for the season. I guess it's time for Gilbert to step up. Whitney is a good acquisition though.

As for what you just said Beans, it 's a whole other debate, but I remember clearly that you said good things about Kessel when you saw him play as a Leafs. And also it's not like they didn't get anything for the futur with their trades, Kessel and Phaneuf haven't entered their prime yet and they are still relatively young.

As for the draft picks they gave to get Kessel, well sure they were high, but when Burke made the deal, Burke didn't think they would end in the bottom five, with good reason because the past two seasons they managed to stay out of the bottom five with a worst team. And really it's a gamble to trade away your first rounder but sometime it's a risk you need to do to acquire a player like Kessel.

And I'm not one of those who praises everything Burke does because he made many questionnable trades (like Kubina for Exelby, he should of got a top 6 fwd, mainly because he signed Komisarek and Beauchemin). But to me the Kessel deal, at the time was a good one, but now seeing the turnout of the season, we just have to wait and see if the top drafts will pan out better then Kessel.

And also a lot of people are forgetting that Boston were first in the east last season and are now fighting for a playoff spot.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  10:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the panel expected the pick to be anywhere near that high though, more along the lines of 10-15 overall, in that range. And then next years pick even lower than that. Can you imagine if this years pick turns out to be a top 3, and then next years turns out to be a lottery pick as well!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  16:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leafsfan81:

I'm not so sure three teams (Washington, Philly & Chicago) were seeking for a goaltender. Simply because none acquired one. There are plenty upcoming UFA goaltenders, including some backing up on strong goaltending teams. If they truly wanted one, one could have been had by any of the three.

Am I saying none of those three should have gained a goaltender? No. But, none of those three did. So i'm not so sure they were actually looking... I think it's more every one just thought they should, besides themselves.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  19:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irv, tough to say really. Maybe the Isles knew these teams were looking and perhaps overestimated how badly they wanted one. Maybe they were asking too much in return. IMO, of the three, Philly is the team which SHOULD have been desperate!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  11:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Leafs fans, you are right. I have said good things about Kessel in the past and I still think he's a good player. However, at the time the trade was made, TO was still highly touted to be fighting for a playoff spot. If that was the case and TO was giving up the 10-20 pick this year and about the same next year, absolutely the deal is fair. Actually, I would even say that's a win for TO.

However, it was on speculation. Now, when the Leafs are 9 points out of 28th spot, it's all but a forgone conclussion that the Leaf are look at potentially #1 in the Lottery and no worse than #3.

That means Boston will get their hands on Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, or Cam Fowler at worst. Now, I am not saying that these guys will be the next Crosby or Ovechkin, but all three are HIGHLY touted players have would be a HUGE piece of any teams puzzle.

Even if the trade was for just this draft pick, fine. Still pretty even. However, just imagine if the Leafs are out of the playoffs again next year and are a lottery team.

There are only about 5 players in the NHL today that are worth 2-Top 5 draft picks. Kessel is not one of the them.

Oh, and one last thing. Calgary had banked their Future on Phaneuf and Iginla and a far superior supporting cast than the Leafs have and they have not won a playoff round since before the lock out. What makes you think that Phaneuf and Kessel, with various other pylons for forwards, have a hope?

As I said, there are still a ton of pieces missing in TO and without a solid FA season, be prepared for the same performance as this year.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page