Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Winnipeg Jets v2.0 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  10:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to start out by apologizing for the multiple counts of threadjacking I've been guilty of in recent weeks. The idea of the desert dogs packing up and moving to Winnipeg's got me a little excited.

The Globe and Mail has an article today with some pretty solid facts regarding the financial issues the NHL faces when it comes to keeping the team in Glendale:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/bettman-pitches-nhl-as-must-see-tv/article1519366/

To paraphrase, if the league does not find a qualified buyer for the Phoenix Coyotes by June they are no longer obligated to abide by the terms of Jobing.com arena's and are essentially free to look at other options (ie. relocation). Among the future ownership prospects is Toronto's David Thomson, a major player in Winnipeg's True North Sports Entertainment, the owners of the MTS Centre and the Manitoba Moose team that plays there. Ice Edge Holdings is facing significant roadblocks when it comes to finding someone to finance their $160MM venture in the desert.

Growing up in Alberta during the Oilers' glory years, I'm a die-hard Oilers fan that was never exposed to the Winnipeg Jets while they were in Winnipeg. I live in Winnipeg now, and the local media gets whipped up into a frenzy any time one of these relocation rumours gets going.

Whether or not you think it's a good idea to have a team in Winnipeg, based on the information in the media lately, how likely do you think it is that an NHL puck drops in the MTS Centre in October 2010?

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  11:22:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see an NHL puck drop in Winnipeg this coming winter but really dont have any clue as to the wether or not it will happen.

Some of the questions I have are:
If the coyotes go back to winnipeg will they call them the Jets again?
Has a team ever left a city and then ended back up theyre?
If they called the team the Jets would they use the same Logo as the pre Coyotes logo?

And the big question what happens to the Divisions??

No matter what the answer would be to any of these questions I would love to be a purchaser of season tickets to an NHL club in Winnipeg.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  11:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen lately, the most logical change to the divisions would be Vancouver joining the Pacific and Winnipeg slots nicely into the Northwest. Maybe that's just wishful thinking as it would resurrect some great Western conference rivalries.

On top of the oddity of the Coyotes moving back to Winnipeg, you would also see Shane Doan go back to the team that drafted him!

Having never owned season tickets to an NHL team, what do they normally go for? Think I could get a pair of second-bowl seats for ~$3000?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  15:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnipeg getting a team back is a good thing. However, the MTS centre is too new to completely stop using, but even a referbish will not be enough(long term) for an NHL team. Speaking from experience in Edmonton, small arena's that are retrofitted to fit NHL sized crowds are a short term fix. In less than 10 year there wil either need to be a new arena or the Jets will be a risk of leaving again.

How likely is it??

I personally think the Ice Edge group will get the Coyotes and run them at a loss in Glendale for 2 season. Then sell or relocate. So I say very doubtful.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  15:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you were Ice Edge, Beans...

How do you pitch your vision of hockey in the South to a financier? How do you approach a potential lender with a business plan that sees you lose an almost guaranteed 40% on your initial investment within the first 2 years, with no guarantee you'll ever be able to recoup?

With how tight lending is (still) in the US, you'd have to be one hell of a smooth talker. Maybe find some way to work in pyrotechnics or something, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9668
( )

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  18:49:44  Reply with Quote
I don't give the Coyotes much time at all, 1 more season max. The league will be forced to open up bidding so it doesn't lose even more millions than it already has. If only Balsillie waited a little longer, he probably coulda landed the team legit.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  16:40:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2010/04/08/sp-coyotes-ice-edge.html?ref=rss

Looks like Winnipeg's gone from Plan C to Plan B.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  16:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by impropriety

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2010/04/08/sp-coyotes-ice-edge.html?ref=rss

Looks like Winnipeg's gone from Plan C to Plan B.

Maybe.

There is the possibiity that Glendale would rather work with Reinsdorf, who is not going to play any home games away from Phoenix, so they are being more difficult with Ice Edge.

Winnipeg is still a stretch. I think the better option for Winnipeg is to not wait for the NHL to do the expansion to thier facility, then approach ATL or Charles Wang, with the knowledge of the NHL of course.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0938
( )

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  17:36:09  Reply with Quote
This might be a bit biased reporting, coming from the Peg and all, but...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Ice-Edge-threatens-to-pull-bid-for-Coyotes-90251347.html

Doesn't sound like Glendale's gonna give on the lease, which seems to be a must for any team there to have a chance at financial success.

The NHL has also previously stated that if they don't find a buyer to keep the team in Phx this year, they will look to buyer's interested in moving the team...
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  21:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tbar

I would love to see an NHL puck drop in Winnipeg this coming winter but really dont have any clue as to the wether or not it will happen.

Some of the questions I have are:
If the coyotes go back to winnipeg will they call them the Jets again?
Has a team ever left a city and then ended back up theyre?
If they called the team the Jets would they use the same Logo as the pre Coyotes logo?

And the big question what happens to the Divisions??

No matter what the answer would be to any of these questions I would love to be a purchaser of season tickets to an NHL club in Winnipeg.

i think they could get the jets name and logo if the coyotes moved backed to winnipeg just because it is still the same franchise. If another team were to move there, or if they were putting in a new expansion team, then i believe they would have to take a new name.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  07:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2010/04/09/sp-iceedge-update.html?ref=rss

Update:

Ice Edge Holdings reaches agreement with the city of Glendale regarding the lease for Jobing.com arena. The terms of the lease must now be approved by city council.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  09:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Becareful, not only did Ice Edge sign the deal, Reinsdorf did as well. The NHL will have to approve the name change to either the Glendale or Arizona Coyotes.

This is now going to City Council, so ask this question. If you are part of that City Council, do you vote for the group willing to play 100% of the home games in Glendale or do you vote for the group having some of their home games in Saskatoon???

From what I have read, the NHL would not have a problem with either group, meaning they will more than likely support which ever bid the Glendale Council supports.

I would say Reinsdorf is leading the pack, with Ice Edge slightly behind. Then, the WInnipeg 2.0 so distantly 3rd they are not even in the picture.

Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  09:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/13186539/ice-edge-holdings-reinsdorf-sign-coyotes-memorandum-of-understanding?tag=headlines;nhl

The nitty gritty on the individual plans. Don't count Winnipeg out just yet. City council is not obligated to approve either of the two plans.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  10:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by impropriety

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/13186539/ice-edge-holdings-reinsdorf-sign-coyotes-memorandum-of-understanding?tag=headlines;nhl

The nitty gritty on the individual plans. Don't count Winnipeg out just yet. City council is not obligated to approve either of the two plans.

You are joking right?? The City paid $180 million for the arena and has just 2 tenants, the Coyotes and the Arizona Sting of the NLL. How much of the mortgage does an 8 game home season averaging 6,000 lacrosse fans cover???

Do you think, for one second, that the City Council is going to hold out for something better when they have not one but two groups interested and have agreements in place that holds hockey there for 5+ years??? Not a CHANCE the Council votes them down. As stated in the one story, it is likely the Council will accept both and let the NHL decide which they prefer.

Like I said before, Winnipeg should go forward with thier arena expansion plans and then look at relocations from either NYI or Atlanta. The Phoenix Club isn't going anywhere for a while.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  10:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are, of course, correct. Irrational optimism is all it is.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  12:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, well now I see. Emotion is hard to see on a screen.

I would be in the same boat if I was a Pegger hoping to see some hockey soon. I think it will happen again, just not the Coyotes. Like I said, the Islanders and Thrashers are still out there.

Personally, I would like to see the Islanders move. NY already has the Rangers and Devils in the GNYA and Buffalo Upstate. The Islanders are the odd man out

I also think the logistics of the divisions would be pretty simple. Boston takes NYI spot in the Atlantic, Detroit slides into the NE, and Winnipeg drops nicely into the Central.

Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  12:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The no-movement stipulation for Atlanta expires in 2011 iirc. That might be an option, too.

The good news is us Winnipeggers still have the Moose to cheer on. Right now I just have to settle for watching the up-and-comers like P K Subban and the grizzled vets like Chelios and Keane. I can't help but think that all this NHL buzz is really helping the Moose. People are finally starting to see that support for the local pro team makes the city more attractive for potential investors. The game I went to had the lower bowl filled to the tune of 9000 fans, and they were only playing Peoria (St Louis), so it's not like people were going to see their favourite team's prospects.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  22:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

This is now going to City Council, so ask this question. If you are part of that City Council, do you vote for the group willing to play 100% of the home games in Glendale or do you vote for the group having some of their home games in Saskatoon???

I would say Reinsdorf is leading the pack, with Ice Edge slightly behind. Then, the WInnipeg 2.0 so distantly 3rd they are not even in the picture.

Cha Ching !!!

Looks like Ice Edge is out, at least for now. I think the NHL approval is a formality, seeing how Reinsdorf was in talks with the NHL before the whole Balsillie thing went down.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=317948

That being said, I am thinking Reinsdorf should sent Diamond Jim a nice Gift Basket. Not only did Mr. RIM's legal rodeo save Reinsdorf a ton of money on the sales price, but he also got the building lease deal he wanted, saved the loses in Phoenix for this season, and is picking up the team on the upswing of fan support.

Thanks Jim!! Good Job!!

Go to Top of Page

Iceman778
Top Prospect

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  07:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree with you its really a good job done by him
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5169892

Looks like Reinsdorf is out and Ice Edge is back in, with 'sources' suggesting that a last-minute deal is already in place with Thompson.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it, Beans. Is this still irrational optimism?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4746
( )

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  22:52:17  Reply with Quote
The Jets will be back, BUT they will change the name! Just wait untill the playoffs are over GO JETS GO back to Winnipeg!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  23:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, since I know very little about Anthony Leblanc (CEO of IceEdge Holdings, LLC.) ...

Is it possible that, Mr. Leblanc is seeking this team, with the backing of Jim Balsille?

After reading a little about Mr. Leblanc, it appears he is (or was, until very recently), Vice President of Global Sales for RIMM (Research In Motion), which is owned and operated by Mr. Balsille.

IceEdge Holdings, LLC. was created and put together specifically for the purpose of trying to buy the Coyotes. It was not an actual Company, until recent. And only to acquire the Coyotes.

Some where in the midst of all this, does anyone think Jim Balsille is actually in on this? Behind the scenes of IceEdge Holdings?

Seems a little odd that VP of Sales (for RIM), is leading the way in a bid, that President & CEO of RIM, lost out on. And does not have a chance to try again.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4740
( )

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  05:09:44  Reply with Quote
To answer one of TBar's questions:

The Minnesota North Stars left, got a team back, now they're the Wild.
The Atlanta Flames relocated to Calgary, now they have another team, the Thrashers.
Ottawa had a team (can't remember what they were called, I think they were actually the Senators before also. They left and came back.

So in a nutshell. If Atlanta can lose their team once and get them back, Winnipeg sure as heck should be able to.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  07:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4740

To answer one of TBar's questions:

The Minnesota North Stars left, got a team back, now they're the Wild.
The Atlanta Flames relocated to Calgary, now they have another team, the Thrashers.
Ottawa had a team (can't remember what they were called, I think they were actually the Senators before also. They left and came back.

So in a nutshell. If Atlanta can lose their team once and get them back, Winnipeg sure as heck should be able to.

Since you didn't quote Tbar's question and since i couldn't recall what it was seeing as it was over a month ago, i scrolled back up to find it. What i think he meant was, has a city ever gotten back the actual franchise that left, not a different one, or expansion team? It'd be like the Av's going back to Quebec or had the Dallas franchise moved back to Minny?
Go to Top of Page

Guest7113
( )

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  08:57:40  Reply with Quote
On top of that, they've still got Shane Doan who the original Winnipeg Jets DRAFTED! Pretty sure that one's unprecedented.

Guest4740 has a great point when he says that the fact that Atlanta did it spells good things for a place like Winnipeg.

With Reinsdorf off the table, I guess Beans is due to swoop in and tell me that Ice Edge is the number one proposal on the table, with Winnipeg at such a distant '2nd' that they're not even in the picture. (just jokes)

Now, if you were Ice Edge (after seeing that Reinsdorf was given a sweet deal), do you think there's any chance you put your original, inferior offer back on the table? I think they're holding the cards right now in terms of the negotations.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  09:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ Guest7113 was me, not logged in.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  10:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, couple of things.

Firstly, if Reinsdorf is out(which I doubt) then Ice Edge would be next. If there is anything coming out of Winnipeg, one would have to think it's a distance 2nd. No one wants to move the team out of Phoenix until they can play the, "This is the 3rd owner of the team in Phoenix and it still doesn't work" card. Until that happens, the lease and the City of Glendale will be very hard to fight off.

Now, this RIM/Anthony LeBlanc thing. I don't really know either, but one would ahve to thinks that the NHL and Bettman would have sniffed around enough ot know if Balsillie was anywhere near that deal. The other perspective could be that LeBlanc is now against Balsillie in some way. Do we know why/how he left RIM?? If it was not by LeBlanc's choice, this very well could be a revenge thing in that LeBlanc and his group take the team Balisillie wanted??

Go to Top of Page

Guest4532
( )

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  11:51:32  Reply with Quote
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/coyotes-sale-goes-sour--in-desert-93053824.html
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  10:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/ice-edge-feels-winnipegs-pain-93258189.html

Feel free to stop me if you feel these articles are just re-iterating the same point, but it's in the newspaper every morning so it's difficult to forget about it. This article has some quotes direct from Ice Edge (who is now the sole purchaser interested in maintaining a franchise in the desert).

Some quotes that jumped out at me:

"We think Winnipeg is a viable market, with a new building that some might think is a little small, but with excellent ownership in place. We'd be behind having a team in Winnipeg. With the salary cap and the strength of the Canadian dollar, Winnipeg is a very viable market."

Jones rated Ice Edge's chance of closing the deal at 50-50.

Jones believes Winnipeg's ability to readily accomodate an NHL franchise puts the city of Glendale, which built Jobing.com Arena for the Coyotes, in a tenuous position.

I guess these quotes could be seen in one of two ways - either Jones is pandering to the Canadians that would like to 'make it seven' in an attempt to clear his name, or he's sincere when he says that he thinks Winnipeg is a viable market (despite the under-sized arena). Either way, it looks like the City of Glendale is going to be voting on whether they can cover the upcoming season's losses tomorrow.

Edited by - impropriety on 05/10/2010 12:19:43
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  10:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One has to be careful of filtering the media from the propoganda. Consider the source. Every report I have found out of Winnipeg shows the chances of getting the Phoenix franchise far higher than any other media outlet.

With Reinsdorf out, Winnipeg does move from #3 to #2, however that is still a distant #2. The one thing that I can see that has changed in the past few days is that the NHL is saying if Glendale can not secure a deal, the decision to move the franchise will be swift.

I still think Glendale will get something done.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  10:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The source is important - you're absolutely correct there. I guess what I was getting at was the quotes from Jones himself. The only influence the Winnipeg Free Press could have on direct quotes is I guess misquoting or removing context.

I read about 1/4 of an article from the Globe and Mail this morning before I shook the sleepydust out of my eyes. Let me see if I can track it down. I don't actually remember what it was about.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  12:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/city-cant-meet-nhls-coyotes-demands/article1562692/

Here's the article I was talking about. It's from Saturday, but I was on a shopping trip with my girlfriend down to Grand Forks and Fargo for the weekend and missed it in the weekend issue.

This one is interesting because it's not a Winnipeg source, and the quotes come directly from one of the parties involved (a City of Glendale council member). If these are the arguments he's going to present, I would think that the other council members that are looking to get re-elected will follow suit. It's not just that the team is broke, the city is too.

Edited by - impropriety on 05/10/2010 12:02:58
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  12:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a very interesting article, but it is still not without red flags.

1) This is one Council Member, not all.

2) What is worse, the $25 million now or the $180 million arena sitting empty??

3) This still does not say anything about the team going to Winnipeg. What about Quebec City?? Kansas City??
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  13:02:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very well-versed in Arizona politics. I'm not sure how many council members there are, or how influential each one might be.

This was the quote that jumped out at me, though.

Arizona laws prohibit communities from granting excessive subsidies to private businesses. When they are made, they have to make a clear benefit to the taxpayers.

When you're talking about demonstrating a clear benefit to taxpayers, you're talking about the city paying $180 mil to cover an empty arena, or $205 mil to cover an arena and a team that the average Phoenix/Glendale resident doesn't really care about. They don't just have to sell that to the fans, they have to sell it to the non-fans (which greatly outnumber the fans). If they spin it right, the empty arena costs the taxpayer less.

I don't think I buy into this 'in for a penny, in for a pound' business.

Now, you're an Oilers fan so this analogy should hit close to home. I think you can appreciate it. If you've got season tickets to this past year's Oilers, and come February you're sick of trekking down to RX1 to watch them lose, you might try to sell the remainder of the year's tickets - right? What happens when nobody's interested in buying them? Do you go to the games anyway? Do you pay $15 for parking, $9 per beer and $5 each for Popcorn for the kids? You've already paid for the tickets, so I understand the fact that you want to get your money's worth. Is it worth all that extra money to go and watch something you've all but lost interest in? Judging by the empty seats in Edmonton towards the end of the season, I'd say no.

Edit:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=321188

Not reading too much into it (mostly because there's not much to read into), but Ice Edge has backed out of talks until they are granted an exclusivity agreement.

Edited by - impropriety on 05/10/2010 20:02:39
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  19:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the analogy impropriety. And I agree, to an extent.

Perhaps it would be cheaper for the tax payers to allow the arena to sit, 'empty'. As it will still bring in some funds, from concerts, certain venues, etc...

But, as you said, why spend more on something, that is failing.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  20:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think WAS failing is a better way to say it. It isclear, similar to the NHL in any other cities(other than Montreal and Toronto) if the team wins the seats get filled. Even in places where the NHL is very strong (like Edmonton and Calgary) ran into poor crowds when the product sucked and sell out when the product is better.

I think the folks in Glendale would like to see at the least an opportunity to see the team succeed. It was obvious that under previous ownership, little was done to produce a solid product on the ice. Now that there is a solid product on the ice, the team leaves?? Glendale kinda gets the short end of the stick on that deal don't they?? After shelling out the cash for the stadium they get nothing for it??

No amount of concerts, etc can compensate for the costs of the stadium. It sitting empty would be worth about as much as $25 million. Also, how much of those annual loses are rent for the building?? It is almost like Glendale covering the loses with their own money at least a big part of it.

Now, to your analogy, I wouldn't sell my tickets. I am a fan. I would go to the games if I already paid for the tickets. I don't pay $9 for parking, I take the Train for $2.50. If I choose to drink a $9 beer, that's my choice. But I don't sell my hockey tickets.

Ever.

Edited by - Beans15 on 05/10/2010 21:22:55
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  22:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long will the Coyotes continue to sell out? Even if the product on the ice continues to succeed?

We can't say for certain, as they have just began to finally succeed. But something tells me, they'll not sell out all season. Not even close.

They may sell out at the beginning of the year, but I'd be willing to bet on them slowly decreasing in attendance (even with some success) as time goes on. They may continue at 60-75% attendance, but I don't see them continually selling out.

Also, how long can a team remain successfull in the salary cap NHL? A couple of season, unless you are Detroit?

Eventually, and I predict much sooner rather than later, the Coyotes will be in the same boat they have been in since they began in Phoenix. Losing income, with a low attendance record.

Other franchises suffer too, with lack of success. But they continually have a fan base (less than normal, but it's there), and they continue to sell merchandise. Other teams may lose a few million per season, but not $25-100 Million per, as Phoenix does. The year before loses (if I remember correctly) was $170Million dollars. How does one allow that to continue, without atleast really considering a move.

Why wait? You may reduce your loses, but you're not going to begin making money in just one year. Why delay the inevitable.

Phoenix may be a 'success' at this moment in time, but it's bound to go back under. And if somebody believe it will not, perhaps they need to look at the past of Phoenix a little closer.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  09:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/LIVE-BLOG-Glendale-council-meeting-on-Coyotes-deal-93293609.html

This is a live blog that will cover the City of Glendale council meeting tonight. The actual meeting starts at 9pm CST.

What Glendale council will vote on:

- Glendale city councillors will vote tonight on the NHL's demands to cover operating losses incurred by the Phoenix Coyotes next season if the team cannot be sold to a group that will operate the team at Jobing.com Arena.

- A vote in favour of satisfying the NHL's requirements would enable the city manager to try to secure the financial mechanisms (a bank note or line of credit) to meet the NHL's demands.

- The NHL wants a guarantee any losses incurred by the Coyotes in 2010-11 are covered should they have to operate the team again.

- A yes vote does not satisfy the NHL's demands but only gives the city manager the authority to attempt to do so. Only a certified financial agreement will satisfy the NHL. In essence, Glendale must make a contract with a financial institution to cover these losses that have been estimated in the $30-million range.

- The vote passes with a simple majority.

- Source: Winnipeg Free Press

What the agenda says:

Authority to satisfy the NHL's requirements for Phoenix Coyotes

PURPOSE: This is a request for city council to grant the city manager authority to sign the agreements and secure the financial mechanisms that are reasonably necessary to satisfy the NHL's requirements in order for the NHL Phoenix Coyotes to remain in Glendale during the NHL 2010-11 season.

- The NHL has expressed its intention to keep the team in Glendale, but has established deadlines and imposed requirements that require certain immediate financial commitments and assurances by the City of Glendale.

- The agreements allow the team to remain in place for the NHL 2010-11 season; allowing staff the necessary time to complete the required agreements with the ownership group that will be committed to retaining the team in Glendale for the remainder of the orginal lease term.

- Source: City of Glendale

Edited by - impropriety on 05/11/2010 09:17:23
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  10:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NEWSFLASH BEANS:

Phoenix is still a failing franchise. Please show us how much money they made this year if you attempt to disprove this!

Filling the seats for 4 playoff games didn't save them.

Is the NHL so ready to go to bat for a team that went to the playoffs and lost to Detroit? Oh wait, that EXACT same thing happened to Winnipeg in 1995/96 . . . and that was for a team that had made the playoffs 11 out of the last 15 years, making the second round twice during the Oilers dynasty.

And the NHL rolls out totally garbage rationalisation about drastic moves, stability, etc?!? Where the heck is the logic?

Answer: there is no logic when dealing with the NHL.

Goodluck to you Winnipeggers . . . Winnipegans?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Radoria
Top Prospect

Canada
17 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  18:32:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans makes an interesting point regarding other potential cities that Phoenix could be relocated to, such as Quebec City/Kansas City. As of today I don't believe QC has an NHL-caliber arena (although there may be plans to build one). Kansas City does have an NHL caliber arena, the Sprint Centre, however the Kansas City Scouts left for Colorado (and ultimately ended up in New Jersey) due to limited fan support.

Secondly, the Phoenix Coyotes have now made the playoffs six out of 13 times since they relocated (including four seasons in a row from 96-97 to 99-2000). Surely in six of those years there was a playoff buzz about the team and their financial fortunes were destined to improve as the public perception was that this was an up-and-coming team - the fact is they have yet to turn a profit in a season regardless of their on-ice performance.

Edited by - Radoria on 05/11/2010 18:42:54
Go to Top of Page

Guest4666
( )

Posted - 05/11/2010 :  20:38:45  Reply with Quote
Looks like the City of Glendale passed the motion to give the city manager approval to attempt to secure the funds to facilitate the IEH deal. Interesting to note that Reinsdorf is still in it, and Bettman mentioned on HNIC that he was never actually out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page