Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Blackhawks cup win Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  17:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What (if any) do you believe to be the deeper significance of the longest Stanley cup drought in the NHL ending this year? From my perspective it mostly just means that the Flyers fans at work are now much easier to live with.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Guest9182
( )

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  18:08:03  Reply with Quote
It just means leafs fans will be even more unbearable to live with than they already are!!! I've waited a long time for this win, not as long as Rangers fans did though. And I think the Leafs will beat that 54 year record with no problem. They won't make the playoffs for the next 5 seasons is my prediction.
Go to Top of Page

bounty2k3
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  18:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry that was my post up there.

GO HAWKS GO!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  06:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think if anything, the significance of the Blackhawks winning - and the Flyers giving them a good go in the final - has several key points to take away from it.

1) You don't need a great goalie in net to win - just a decent one

This was driven home even more forcibly considering who beat who to get to the finals. Great goalies like Brodeur, Miller and Bryzgalov fell by the wayside, and hot goalies like Howard and Halak also weren't enough. In the end, we had the two least experienced goalies in the Stanley Cup Playoffs facing off against each other, Niemi and Leighton, each of whom could disappear into the NHL background faster than you can say Jim Carey.

2) If you don't have great goaltending, you need great defence

I think we saw the two best defences from each conference meet in the final, and the lesson to be learned is this: If you have great goaltending, you need a decent defence; if you have "ok" goaltending, you need a great defence. This time, both teams in the final were built on the second formula.

3) Deep at forward = winning formula

When Pittsburgh won, it sort of threw this theory out the window, but this playoffs showed otherwise - a team needs to be deep in scoring to survive the grind and match-ups in the playoffs. In the end, supposedly great teams with the greatest superstars - Washington, Pittsburgh, Vancouver - fell short because of inadequate defence mostly, but also a dependence on star forwards. Both Chicago and Philly were teams built on depth at the forward position, which makes it very difficult to defend against considering your shut down d-men cannot be on the ice the entire time (although Pronger tried, it seems).

4) And lastly . . . youth is the way to go.

The young guns won again, and seems like the older, experienced teams have taken a hit the last two finals. But, this is just a fluctuation I feel, and changes from year to year. Still, if infractions meant to slow down the game are called more frequently, it certainly does tilt the advantage to youth more and more.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

whereismykovalchuk
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2010 :  09:42:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think maybe not the blackhawks winning is the biggest headline as it, the league, though it is important that it leaves leafs fans with the longest drought but is it more a statement about parity throughout the entire nhl thanks to the salary cap.

the hawks were absolutely horrid for a long time but in the salary cap era it allowed them to make signings that helped the team although some for much too much money, Brian Campbell is no seven mil a year d man but he did really help the team through out the playoffs. But chicagos cup win shows yet again that to succeed you need to draft well and early so maybe florida, atlanta and tampa bay are on the right track, you know, be a non factor for years then with your glut of high drafted players succeed the teams like detroit are impressive even though i hate them, theyu deserve the respect for being one team to draft well consistently and maintain competitiveness unlike any other team in recent history

bring back the franchise player or the team will leave like the last one
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page